• Published 22nd Jan 2013
  • 2,389 Views, 27 Comments

Find Your Heart - Spirit Chaser



Rainbow Dash has always acted on instinct and it's always helped with her stunts but what happens when she uses it for something else, something that she may not be willing to consider, something that she finds terrifying: love?.

  • ...
8
 27
 2,389

Chapter Five: Sugarcube Corner

"Wait up Rainbow Dash!" Twilight shouted as she and the rest of their friends attempted to keep up with Rainbow as she flew ahead of them making a beeline to Ponyville and more importantly, Sugarcube Corner.

"I can't! I'm worried Pinkie still hasn't forgiven me for rushing out of there like that," Rainbow shouted back as she continued flying forward.

"Don't worry sugarcube, before I gathered everypony, Ah told her to stay inside until we got back," Applejack assured her feathered friend.

"Well that explains why she didn't somehow find us at the cliff but how does that reassure me that she isn't mad at me?" Rainbow asked, sounding worried.

"Oh that, she's Pinkie Pie, she's not gonna stay mad once we charge in there," Applejack reasoned.

"I guess you're right but what if-"

"Just stop thinking about it until we get there Rainbow Dash," Rarity flashed a smile.

Rainbow decided to partly take her advice and stop talking about it out loud but she was still very much thinking about it in her head. What if instead of angry, Pinkie was sad? Not just sad, but flat mane sad? She wouldn't be able to take that! She attempted to shake that thought out of her head but it was if it made of rubber because it bounced right back into her thoughts.

Okay, now this is getting annoying. Rainbow thought as she continued to try to get the horrible thoughts out of her head, but the more she tried the stronger they became.

What if she's mad?

What if she's sad?

What if she doesn't want to talk?

Or even the one thought that Rainbow hadn't even considered until now, for she had finally figured out her feelings, but what if Pinkie didn't know what her feelings were? If she told Pinkie she liked her and Pinkie didn't feel the same, that would lead to horrifying results. The same if she told Pinkie she didn't like and Pinkie did feel that way. She was beginning to feel confused all over again.

No! That's no way to think after all she just went through! She was going to say what was on her heart, and Pinkie was going to listen...hopefully.

"Please Rainbow, slow down!" Twilight practically screamed.

"Huh? Oh, sorry, I was just...lost in thought, you know?" Said Rainbow as she finally slowed down.

"You honesty have nothing to worry about, Rainbow Dash, I assure you everything will be fine," Rarity glowed.

"I sure hope so, because you're the one who got me in this situation in the first place," Rainbow reminded her as she flew in closer to the group.

"Don't worry, Rainbow, everything will work out for the best," Fluttershy reassured her.

"I just hope I really know what to say," Rainbow said more to herself than her friends.

"Ah hope so too, look!" Applejack gestured with her nose straight ahead of them where their home Ponyville was now visible.

"Here goes nothing," Rainbow sighed as she landed on the ground and promptly trotted in the direction of Sugarcube Corner.

Her trot soon turned into a gallop and once again, she was leaving her friends in the dirt.

"Rainb- oh forget it!" Twilight said after attempting to keep up with Rainbow for the fifth time.

"Let's just go at our own pace, we'll catch up," Applejack assured Twilight as she trotted up next to her.

"Okay," Twilight responded "She could use the extra time anyway. I really hope she has it right this time."

"Us too sugarcube, us too."


I can see it! Rainbow thought happily as Sugarcube Corner finally came into view.

Strange, usually getting to any of her friend's houses had taken seconds, but getting here today felt like it took hours... oh well! She was finally going to make things right, with herself and Pinkie.

She galloped into the bakery and looked around quickly for any sight of the lovable pink mare. Mr. and Mrs. Cake were standing in the kitchen, both frozen mid-frosting a couple of cupcakes.

"Um, hi Mr. and Mrs. Cake, is Pinkie Pie here?" Rainbow asked, suddenly feeling very silly.

"Hello Rainbow Dash," said Mr. Cake. "Yes, Pinkie is up in her room right now, I'll call her down, PINKIE PIE!"

"Coming!" Pinkie called in her usual sing-song voice.

Rainbow mentally sighed in relief. At least she's not upset.

A sound of hoofsteps were heard, then the sound of things moving around, then a trumpet... then a elephant. Rainbow brought her hoof to her face in a mixture of emotions.

"Dashie!" Shouted a familiar voice.

Rainbow removed her hoof just in time to see Pinkie rush to give her another famous crushing hug, only this time, Rainbow did her best to return it.

"Hey Pinkie," Rainbow said calmly to maintain her cool factor.

Over Pinkie's head, Rainbow saw Mrs. Cake nudged Mr. Cake with her head with a look on her face that clearly said "That's our que to leave." Mr. Cake seemed to understand as he nodded and called over to them "We'll be upstairs tending to the foals if you need us, oh and don't forget about the customers!" That earned him an extra hard nudge as they trotted upstairs and she heard him say in a strained voice. "What did I say?!"

Rainbow chuckled to herself and closed her eyes, wishing that this moment could last forever, until Pinkie suddenly withdrew from the hug, letting Rainbow fall to the ground in a crumpled heap. So much for maintaining cool factor.

"Oh my gosh Rainbow, are you okay? Are your injuries still acting up from that nasty crash you had? Do you need Aunt Pinkie to kiss them and make them all better?" Pinkie rushed out of her mouth.

At the last sentence, Rainbow jumped into the air in shock. "No I'm good, I was just surprised is all."

"Oh, should we have a code word for when our hug's about to end? Something liiike, oh I got it! Kumquat! I love that word, it's so fun to say, say it with me! Ku-"

"Pinkie Pie!" Rainbow interrupted as she didn't have her earplugs on her "Maybe some other time, right now I wanted to tell you something."

"Oh, that sounds fun, let me try!" Pinkie said as she leaned in.

This caught Rainbow off guard, did Pinkie truly have something to say? Thinking back on that moment, Rainbow should have expected it when Pinkie suddenly shouted "something!" Then fell on her back laughing.

Rainbow was beginning to loose it. Pinkie was always hyperactive, but today it felt like she was actually trying, like she was trying to distract her somehow. Rainbow shook the thought from her mind and walked back up to Pinkie who was still laughing hysterically.

"Did you see what I did there Dashie?" Pinkie asked in-between laughing fits.

"Yes Pinkie, but seriously we need to talk."

Pinkie immediately stopped laughing but retained the smile on her face as she flew into the air and landed on her hooves. "I'm all ears!"

Rainbow took a deep breath. "Pinkie, for a while I- no that's no good. A long time ago I started- ugh! I- can't believe I can't put this into words!"

"Dashie, please don't run out again," Pinkie begged with an extremely sad look on her face.

Rainbow's heart dropped a thousand feet as she turned away from her sad friend. Great! Why do I always do these things to my friends?!

Now what could she do? She messed up her confession, and now she couldn't run out again unless she wanted to truly ruin her friendship with Pinkie forever. Where were the others anyway? Rainbow felt like the world was ripping itself apart and she was at the center of it all. No! She had gone through too much to give up now! Besides, when had she ever given up on anything? It was time to knock on her heart's door to see what advice it had for her this time. She closed her eyes and searched for anything that could help her in this moment, until she found it again, the answer to end all answers! But it was risky... then again, when was the last time she had done something safe?

"Rainbow Dash, you know you can share anything with me, I promise I won't- mmphf!" the rest was cut off by a set of lips firmly planted on her own.

Pinkie tensed but gave in anyway. Whether it was the wrong decision or not, Rainbow's heart had never been more right in suggesting this. Pinkie unsurprisingly tasted like cupcake frosting, the sweetest frosting she'd ever tasted. Never had Rainbow ever felt better, this was worth everything she had gone through in the past few days and she didn't even care that this could have consequences, all that mattered was that their mouths were touching.

"Thanks for leaving us in the dust Rainbow Daaaaa-" Twilight began but stopped as soon as she saw the scene playing out before her.

Great! Now they showed up!

Pinkie removed her lips from Rainbow's and took a deep breath. "Hey girls! What're you doing... here?" Pinkie slowed down as Rainbow tilted her head back towards her.

"Pinkie Pie," Rainbow began "Ever since the incident at Wonderbolt Academy, I've been in love with you, and now you know so without saying some long sappy speech, Pinkie, will you be my... marefriend?"

"D'awwww!" Cooed the rest of the gang altogether.

Pinkie's face was relatively cheerful before, but after Rainbow finally confessed, Pinkie's face morphed into a smile and when Rainbow asked out, Pinkie's face broke out into one of the largest smiles Rainbow had ever seen.

"Oh my gosh Dashie, that's when I started loving you! All this time, I was building up my courage to confess to you too! Of course I'll be your marefriend! A thousand time ye- mmmm!" Rainbow interrupted her again by a kiss, only this time, Pinkie returned the favor.

"I KNEW IT!" Rarity shouted as loud as she could.

Everypony stared at her with shocked looks on their faces, even Pinkie Pie.

"Oh," Rarity muttered with a nervous expression. "Um, sorry."

Author's Note:

Yay! Another happy ending! Well kind of, now I have to write the Epilogue so stay tuned for just a little longer, hope you enjoyed this chapter!