• Published 15th Jan 2013
  • 1,448 Views, 57 Comments

Apples or Lightning - MimitehDragon



Fluttershy has a situation. She has been fussed over by a certain stallion, yet another colt is after her as well. Soarin and Big Macintosh are competing fiercely for Fluttershy's affection. What is she gonna do now?

  • ...
11
 57
 1,448

Oh, Wait... Wasn't It Laughter?

Fluttershy was making tea. She had woken up at eight o'clock, and was surprisingly well-rested. She let the tea pot steam and boil, opening her door and leaving to care for her animals. The shy Pegasus fed them, checked on the Owl eggs, talked to the jays.

Fluttershy peered upward as a shadow passed above her, blocking out the sun momentarily. She squinted, furrowing her brow, until she recognized the pale blue coat and dark mane. Her stomach did a flip, and her heart pounded in her chest so that she thought the stallion might hear it.

"Hey, Fluttershy!" Soarin called as he circled her like a vulture until he lit upon the ground with a soft thud. "What's up?"

She scuffed her hoof in the soft grass, studying the ground. "Nothing, really. You didn't have to check on me or anything, I'm fine on my own.."

"I just wanted to hang out with you, Flutters!" He chimed, ruffling her mane with a hoof.

Whistling interrupted them, coming from inside.

"My tea!" Fluttershy gasped, cantering quickly into her home and taking the pot off of the stove. She set it carefully on a table, then called softly out to Soarin. "Would you like some?"

"Sure, thanks!"

Shy fixed two cups of tea and re-fixed her mane, returning to the garden to have Soarin bump into her, as he was walking by the door.

She squeaked, shrinking back. "Sorry!"

Soarin smiled. "It's alright." He assured her gently. "Now, how about that tea?"

"Oh, yes, come in." Fluttershy said, backing into her house and sitting on the sofa with a cup of tea between her hooves.

Soarin picked up his cup and smiled. "It smells awesome!"

"Yeah, I love tea so much that I know how to make it home made instead buying tea bags at the market." The butter yellow mare replied with a sigh.

Soarin almost suppressed a laugh, but couldn't hold it back. "That's adorable." He thought out loud. Why do I keep doing that!?

He watched as Fluttershy hid behind her mane, and just spotted a tinge of squeaky pink blush warming her cheeks.

"So, Fluttershy, what's going on with that red guy?" He asked, a note of suspicion souring his tone only slightly.

"I don't know him very well.." Fluttershy replied nervously. "He's my friend's older brother."

Soarin nodded and sipped from his tea with a satisfied sigh as the sweet liquid rolled over his tongue and warmed his throat.

"So, I have a question.." Dang it! No no no nonono no not yet, not yeeeet! He cringed in his mind, wishing to take it back. No turning back now.. "Do you want to go with me to Sugarcube Corner?" He spoke rapidly, rolling the words off of his tongue. "I'll pay and everything, so you won't have to worry, and uh..."

Fluttershy looked up at him, appearing genuinely shocked, but then her face softened. "I-I guess I could.." She murmured softly, her cheeks cherry red.

Soarin hopped up; "Great! You won't regret it, I promise!"

A giggle escaped Fluttershy's lips, and she cupped a hoof over her mouth to hold it back.

Soarin smiled and picked up his tea again. "I don't know how to thank you, Flutters." He sipped the rest of his tea and put it back down.

"Well first," She mused softly, "stop calling me 'Flutters'"

Soarin laughed, gazing warmly at his new friend. Well... Maybe marefriend... He added silently. Let's pick it up a bit..

Soarin leaned forward and planted a kiss on Fluttershy's cheek. Not necessarily her mouth.. But I think that's a bit too fast. Before the dazed Pegasus had a chance to react, Soarin flew out the door and glided upwards, calling over his shoulder; "I'll pick you up at six!"

Fluttershy watched him leave from the doorway, closing her eyes as she remembered his lips against her cheek. She pursed her lip as she thought about what was going on. Big Macintosh liked her, but Soarin obviously did as well. What am I going to do?? "This is awful," she muttered, "Just awful!"

* * *

Fluttershy paced in her room. Five thirty.. It's five thirty! She'd forgotten about her date with soarin, and had only half an hour to get ready. Ok, shower first.

She closed the bathroom door behind herself, stepping into the shower and turning on the water and carefully testing the heat. She let the water stream down her neck, slicking her coat, weighing down her pink mane and darkening it to a purplish fuchsia.

Soarin stood at her door. Five thirty two... Alright, I just can't wait any longer! He knocked on the door. After a minute, there was still no reply. The pale Pegasus furrowed his brow and pushed the door open. He plotted into the shack, glancing around carefully. He went upstairs cautiously, peering into a room with a queen sized bed. He heard a gentle song being hummed softly from behind a door on the other side of the room, and was drawn to the beautiful voice.

Soarin stood at the door ear pressed to the side of it, the sound of showering water slightly drowned out by Fluttershy's voice. He accidentally let his weight fall onto the door, and it suddenly flung open unexpectedly. He staggered, dazed into the unfamiliar bathroom, looking up just in time to have a shampoo bottle hit him in the face.

Fluttershy squealed, picking up the first thing she found and hurling it at the intruder. She opened the curtain to see Soarin stumbling back, holding a hoof to his nose. She let out a shocked yelp, rearing onto two hooves and holding one hoof over her chest and the other covered... other places-not like she originally had clothes to cover them.-

Soarin looked up again, then averted his gaze immediately nervously staring at the ground, holding back the temptation to look at the exposed mare. "Sorry! I didn't mean to open the door, I just.. just.. I was listening to your singing and.. and I.. I uh.."

Fluttershy put a towel around herself and stepped gingerly out of the shower, eying Soarin carefully.

He looked up with a sheepish smile. "Uh... Sorry." He gave up on an explanation, watching her leave with her face behind her mane. When she was going out the door, Soarin flickered his gaze to her flank and then to the floor, shuffling his hooves on the tiles. This date is turning out juuust perfect. Soarin thought indignantly.

Author's Note:

Sure... It's the "voice" he was drawn too.. XD