• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 3,026 Views, 84 Comments

Dropping the Bass - Taranasauruso_o



Vinyl Scratch was a successful DJ. But she always felt she was missing something. Trinyl

  • ...
3
 84
 3,026

Conversation No. 12: The Future Waits for Nopony

“… And then he said ‘but I don’t have any crabs!’” Vinyl finished. Trixie snorted into her drink, water splashing up around her snout. Vinyl smiled smugly at her own joke, nodding her head as if to say ‘another job well done’.

“Vinyl!” Trixie said, pulling her face from the cup. “You didn’t tell Trixie it would be that funny!” She smiled despite her eyes, which shot pretend daggers at Vinyl. Vinyl feigned hurt, placing a hoof against her heart.

“Trixie, I am shocked that you’d think that I knew how funny my joke was! Why, just the thought of it!” Her accent had changed into a smooth city drawl, to which she used to its full advantage. “Daaaahhhling, I am appalled!”

Trixie snorted again, falling back onto her haunches in a fit of giggles. Vinyl joined her, crashing backwards and pulling Trixie down with her. The two landed on their backs, looking straight up to the sky. After the fit of giggles had ended, the two sighed wistfully, their gazes drawn to the stars above.

Trixie turned her head slightly, as to address Vinyl. “Do you ever think that… maybe there’s more out there?”

“Mmm?” Vinyl asked, her attention elsewhere. “Oh, beyond the stars? Yeah, definitely! I read this article about life on other planets! It was totally awesome, there was stuff about-“

“No, Trixie means if you think there’s anything else out there for us.” Trixie sighed, turning to look towards Vinyl.

“Oh uh… I don’t know, don’t you enjoy what we do?” Vinyl asked, her eyes locked on Vinyl’s.

“Well Trixie does, but she doesn’t want to do it forever.” Trixie smiled, her hooves exaggerating her words with erratic movements.

Vinyl nods in reply, turning back to the stars. “There’s something, or someone out there fore both of us Trixie, we’ve just got to keep looking.” Vinyl looked back at Trixie for a moment, her eyes running over the other mare’s features.

Trixie seemed to look at the stars with wonder, but Vinyl thought she could see a small amount of longing in her friend’s eyes. Something was missing for Vinyl, something that both she and Trixie were missing.

Vinyl pulled herself up, silhouetting herself against the moon. Trixie followed, looking forwards towards the glow of the city that spread below them.

“Look at them all Trixie,” Vinyl began. “They live out their boring, uneventful lives, just like us. They go around the same old thing every day, as if it were some kind of routine.” Trixie glanced towards Vinyl as she stared out over the city, her monologue pulling into full swing.

“They just don’t understand how much their lives could change. We get adrenaline, we get fun, and we get danger. But we’re missing something, aren’t we? We’re missing our other halves… you know?”

Trixie’s face betrayed her, and she looked to Vinyl with interest. “You mean…”

“Yeah.”

The two sat, staring out over the city, the moon’s lights flaying over them with soft elegance. A cold wind blew, sending their manes spiralling upwards, and they entwined, each pony leaning into each other slightly.

The world turned, and they turned with it.

A/N: Mini-update complete.

And good news, everybody! I’ve almost finished the next chapter for this very story! That’s right, very soon(by that I mean the end of this week) you’ll have something new to read!

And even more good news! Well, kinda good. This story is growing to an end, and there are only a few more chapters (2-3) until you’ll get your finale. But… there’s something new to add. It’s not exactly a happy ending, and I’m not exactly going to enjoy writing it. I’ve had this ending in mind since the beginning, so it’s been eating away at my conscience for a while now, and I can’t believe I’m going to finally let it out.

So just…

Stay tuned.

-Taranasaurus