• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 3,026 Views, 84 Comments

Dropping the Bass - Taranasauruso_o



Vinyl Scratch was a successful DJ. But she always felt she was missing something. Trinyl

  • ...
3
 84
 3,026

Chapter 8 (Finale)

A solitary tear can express more than any words ever could. The cold, emptiness of an uncontrolled emotional reaction creates an understanding in almost any creature. Vinyl Ran, her cheeks streaked with a plethora of tears. Ahead of her she could make out Trixie, her form ever retreating. Vinyl could feel her heart chords tugging, and she felt as if the entire ballroom would collapse in on her. Around her, ponies danced, their swaying motion detached from her reality, like an offbeat in a regime march. The clockwork spun around her, even as she tried to cut through she found her way blocked by this and that, as each and everypony decided that they were more important than Vinyl's final chance at redemption.

Trixie disappeared into the crowd, and Vinyl could feel something tug on her emotions. She began to slow, and a sob slowly spread from her body.


Earlier that day


A single stream of light passed through the dull gray curtains, filling the room with a soft, orange glow. Trixie stirred in her sleep, rolling her body away from the sudden intrusion. Her hoof draped itself across the covers, resting atop a soft spot beside her. She smiled, pulling herself closer and sighing contently.

Slowly, her eyes drifted open, and she stared into a deep red circle. Vinyl blinked, before eliciting a yawn, and rubbing her eyes. “Morning babe,” she muttered, reaching out a hoof and pulling the mare closer. “Why’re you awake so early?”

Trixie pushed out her hooves, her back letting out a small crack as she stretched. She lifted the blanket off of her back with a small burst of magic. “Excitement?” she asked, throwing her hind legs over the edge of the bed. She dropped to the floor with a thud, and lifted her forehooves above her head with a groan of ecstasy. Vinyl bit her lower lip, and it took all of her self control to not reach out with her magic and pull Trixie straight back into bed with her.

“Celestia be damned you are cute,” she whispered. Trixie giggled in response and shot Vinyl a look over her shoulder.

“Oh really?” she asked, a mischievous grin appearing on her face. “How cute is she when she does this?” Trixie started to walk slowly away from the bed, her hips swaying from side to side in almost slow motion.

Vinyl let out a small squeal of delight, before leaping out of bed and tackling Trixie to the floor. Trixie squeaked in surprise, toppling backwards onto the soft carpet. Her muzzle was instantly peppered with small kisses from Vinyl.

“You are... so... cute… I could just... eat... you up!” Vinyl managed to say between kisses. Trixie giggled in response, before returning the favor. The two met lips and their eyes locked together for just a moment. Then Trixie broke away with a pant, and giggled again.

“Trixie is more than satisfied.” Trixie pulled herself up, her magic lifting Vinyl to her hooves as well. “Now, what will Trixie and yourself be having for breakfast? Trixie could make pancakes, or-”

Vinyl wagged a hoof at her fillyfriend. “Nuh-uh, there is no way you’re making breakfast this morning. This is a special day, Trixie, and I’m gonna make it the best it can be, so, I asked around, and managed to get us somewhere awesome for breakfast!” She smiled at Trixie, who returned the mare’s glee tenfold.

“You did?” Trixie asked, her grin growing wider at the news. “It’s been a long time since Trixie last ate a proper breakfast!” She clapped her hooves together in delight. Vinyl let out a small laugh, trotting over towards the dresser. Trixie smiled, before turning her gaze towards the small bathroom. “Trixie needs to…” She paused on the threshold of the bathroom. “Freshen up.” She grinned wickedly at Vinyl, who had a small comb dragged halfway through her unruly mane. “You’re welcome to join her if you wish.” She glanced over her shoulder quickly, before trotting into the bathroom.

Vinyl looked between the kitchen and the bathroom door. “But, I- I need to…” She frowned, before throwing the brush towards the bed. “Damn it!” she swore, trotting quickly into the bathroom and closing the door behind her.


Trixie stepped out into the morning glow, the warmth of the early sun spreading across her face. She stopped momentarily, her eyes shut as she listened to the bustle of the city. So much calmer than Manehatten. Everypony had time on their hooves here, time to relax and enjoy the moment.

Not that she disliked the fast-paced feeling of Manehatten city - in fact she relished in it - she just needed a break every once in awhile.

Sighing wistfully, Trixie opened her eyes and turned towards Vinyl, who closed the door behind them.

"So, Trix, how does it feel?" Vinyl asked, locking the door.

"How does what feel?"

Vinyl rolled her eyes, slipping the keys into her ear. "How does it feel to know we're the headline act for arguably the most popular performance in all of Equestria?"

"Trixie... doesn't really understand. Should she feel different?" Trixie replied with a shrug, cocking her head. "It's just another show, isn't it?"

"Well, yes -but don't you think it's a little more important than that?" Vinyl stepped towards Trixie. "A little more... I don't know, special?"

Trixie shrugged. "Well, Trixie supposes so." Vinyl rolled her eyes, before turning away from Trixie. The two began to walk down the steps that led to the front exit of Canterlot castle. The pair had been staying in the daylight wing of the castle, which was located nearest to Canterlot gardens. They were greeted by a pair of butlers, both of whom bowed as they approached.

"Ladies," said the one on the left side of the door. "The Princess has requested that you eat breakfast here in the gardens." The stallion motioned towards a glass table, on which a covered silver platter sat.

"The Princess? As in - Princess Celestia?" Vinyl asked, glancing around the garden.

The butler nodded, a slight smile crossing his lips. "Yes, Princess Celestia. And her counterparts." The two sat, and the butler clapped his front hooves together, summoning another butler with a pot of coffee floating in front of him. The lid of the platter was lifted, revealing a collection of pastries underneath. "Unfortunately, the Princesses discovered this morning that she would have to leave for negotiations with the buffalo tribes, and cannot attend breakfast with you." The butler turned and began to walk towards the large doors that separated the gardens from the castle, but was stopped by an outstretched hoof from Vinyl.

"So, you're telling me that the Princesses wanted to have breakfast with us?" Vinyl asked, her mouth agape, and her eyes wide.

The butler nodded in response. "You are personal guests of the Princesses, and Celestia almost always makes time for guests." He smiled and turned towards the door, gesturing with his hoof. "If that is all ladies, I shall return to my other duties. Should you require anything, my assistant will be more than happy to help you." He bowed again and backed away from the table.

Vinyl pulled out the two chairs with her magic and flopped backwards, her blue aura reaching towards the pile of pastries. "This is all a bit... fancy, isn't it?" she asked, lifting the pastry to her face.

"Well, that's mostly because Trixie and yourself are quite famous now." Trixie looked around the garden, watching the small birds flutter in the morning glow.

Vinyl nodded, lifting another pastry. "You know, Minty told me that she's been getting requests for shows from everywhere, even places outside Equestria." A grin stretched across her face, and she sat upright in her chair. "Can you imagine it? Us, outside Equestria? Just two fillies and a wagon, riding through the great Buffalo deserts, or deep into the rainforests. Can't you see it?"

Trixie turned towards Vinyl, and flashed a wistful smile. "You know what," she started looking back towards the sunrise. "Trixie can."


The Canterlot fete was never really a formal event. Countless nobles had tried to bring some form of order to it, and countless nobles had failed. Balloons flew high, the occasional escapee drifting towards the clouds. Foals darted between legs, their laughs filling in the empty gaps between conversations. Music played through loudspeakers that had been strung up between stalls. Vinyl and Trixie walked in the midst of the chaos, their smiling faces joining the hundreds of others around them.

Vinyl paused by a vendor and lifted a few coins. He nodded, and a large stick of candy floss floated towards Trixie. Vinyl giggled as she watched Trixie's face light up, and the mare lunged forward, taking a huge bite out of the side of the pink mess. She turned towards Vinyl, her mouth opening with the start of an offer, but instead was met with a giggling filly. Trixie's eyes narrowed, and she lifted a hoof to her mouth, where a large piece of bright pink floss had stuck. She giggled, plopped the floss in her mouth, and tugged on her marefriend with a small burst of magic.

"Ow, ow! Okay, okay, I'm coming." Vinyl pulled herself up from the ground, slipping her shades down over her eyes. Yeah, she thought. Lookin' smooth. She flashed Trixie a grin, before leading her towards a collection of stalls. "C'mon Trix, let's get us some prizes."

Trixie trailed behind Vinyl, content with eating her candy floss. She paused, the treat inches from her mouth, and looked towards a small group that stood across the never-ending stream of ponies. An eerily familiar face stared back at her from the crowd. Is that? She blinked a few times, before focusing on the spot again. Trixie must be imagining things. Well, while she's at it, she would like a large muffin and a kiss right about now.

She turned back in search of her marefriend, only to have her face inches from Vinyl's. "Hurry up you silly filly," Vinyl said, accenting her sentence with a quick peck on Trixie's muzzle. Vinyl spun, her head lagging behind slightly as she winked towards her marefriend. Well, Trixie started. That's one down. Now where's her muffin?

She trotted after Vinyl, who had stopped outside a large red tent, and was busy studying the sign above the entrance. "Sir Humfington the Third's House of Cards," she supplied with a small smile.
Vinyl spun around, another wicked grin on her features.

"I know that, I can read." She lifted her hoof to her head. "Scout's honour!" Vinyl held attention for a few moments, before withering under Trixie's stare. "Yes Trixie, I can read!" She shook her head. "Geez." After a few moments of silence, Vinyl lifted the flap of the tent with her magic and motioned for Trixie to enter. "After you, mademoiselle."

Trixie giggled as she stepped over the threshold, gazing around the tent with curiosity. The walls had been lined with hundreds upon hundreds of cards, all of them unique. Each had its own identifying factor, be it a small dent, or an entirely new design, they all stood out. A large, official looking pony lifted himself out of his chair with a huff, smiling at the two.

"Welcome, welcome!" he shouted, holding his arms out. "To the House of Cards!" He smiled, before motioning towards the far end of the tent, where a large stack of cards sat. "This game is simple," he started, levitating the deck of cards over towards the pair. "If you can make your house of cards higher than that there sign-" he motioned towards the large card at the back of the room. "- then you've won yourselves a prize!"

Vinyl and Trixie shared a look, before Vinyl's face lit up. "Piece of cake!" She stepped towards the table, a smug grin crossing her face. She reached out with her magical grip, and lifted the small deck of cards. Trixie pulled the chair out from beside the table and seated herself next to Vinyl, placing a hoof on her fillyfriend’s back in support. She reached out with her magic and grasped the half of the deck that Vinyl offered to her. “Let’s do it together,” Vinyl whispered, before turning back to her half, her tongue poking out from the corner of her mouth.

Trixie shook her head, eliciting a soft giggle. “Trixie Shall try her best.”


The crowds of ponies that swayed and flowed in the market square seemed insignificant now. All the colours and noise blurred together for her. They rushed and turned and spun around her, and yet she ignored them. They weren’t important any more. She seemed to stick out in this crowd of happy, smiling faces. They all turned to her at some point or another, offering her greetings or flashing her a smile. She gave them no response, choosing instead to focus on what was in front of her. A red tent loomed before her, and she could hear soft voices inside. She pulsed some magic towards the tent, her horn glowing a light blue, and felt her breath catch in her throat.

There she was.

Vinyl sat, her face clouded with concentration, not three metres in front of her. She breathed out, and all other sound seemed to grind to a halt around her as she focused on that one mare. After a few moments of silence, she shook her head, and the world came rushing back to meet her. She lifted the flap at the back of the tent with her magic, and stepped forward.

Belle froze then, her head inches away from the back room. Maybe she could stop, right now. Maybe she could just head inside, and confess her feelings to Vinyl. Apologize, explain how wrong she had been. She hadn’t meant anything that she had said, anything that she had done. It had just happened. But then, she remembered Trixie, Vinyl’s new mare, and she shuddered with distaste. Vinyl would never take her back, but, she deserved better.

Belle lifted the flap once more, and stepped into the back section of the tent. She could see, through the small crack in the curtains that separated her and her goal, that both Trixie and Vinyl were concentrating on the card stack. Belle was almost impressed at how big they had managed to make their card house, but she could see the way Vinyl was sneaking glances towards Trixie every few moments, and she knew that this was what had to be done.

It wouldn’t take much. It was simple really, all she’d have to do was sabotage their date. And so, here she was. Steeling herself, she reached out with her magic, and tipped the bottom card of Trixie’s section of the pile, just slightly enough for it to look like an accident. The result was immediate, the tower began to fall like dominoes.

Smiling to herself, Belle stepped backwards out of the tent, and retreated into the sea of ponies.


Trixie paused, the card still floating in front of her face, and watched as the card slowly tipped. It seemed to come from nowhere, but she could see the edge begin to slip under the weight of the rest of the tower, and before she could correct her mistake, the entire deck collapsed. Vinyl stepped back, holding up her hooves, her mouth open in surprise. The entire deck toppled in on itself, before fluttering onto the floor. Both mares stood in stunned silence for a few moments, before turning to face each other.

“I didn’t do it,” Vinyl whispered. They both stared at each other for a few tense moments, before, the corner of Trixie’s mouth tipped upwards. Instantly, they were on the floor, laughing.

Sir Humfington trotted up to the pair, a warm smile on his face. “Well ladies,” he started, helping Trixie to her hooves. “Whilst your tower wasn’t quite tall enough to win a prize, you have both certainly given me something to laugh about, and I feel like those two are the same thing anyway, so feel free to claim any prize you want.”

Vinyl motioned for Trixie to head up to the wall of prizes. After a few moments of thought, she reached up with her magic, and dislodged a small card that sat at the back of the prize board. Giggling, she held it up to Vinyl, who smiled in response and nodded.

“Perfect.” Trixie placed the small card in a magical bag that hovered above her shoulder.
Vinyl paused, eyeing her marefriend for a few moments. “Wait, have you always had that?”

Trixie glanced towards her. “Yes.”

Vinyl lifted her hooves up in the air. “Well, it would have been helpful last night, you know, when we were carrying all that stuff back from the Nightclub!”

Trixie flashed her a small smile. “Are you sure that’s all Trixie’s magic could be useful for?” she asked, accenting her words with a wink. Vinyl blushed in response, before mumbling something and walking out the tent flap. Trixie smiled at the stall owner, who returned the gesture, before lifting the flap for her.

Vinyl was waiting outside, her cheeks still flushed, but she returned Trixie’s happy smile, and the pair ambled off down towards Canterlot’s main street.

One solitary mare watched them as they passed, a frown passing over her features. She shook her head once, then trotted back into the shadows between the tents.


The Lavender Room was a small café that rested in the heart of Canterlot. It was known mostly for it’s wide variety of food, and could cater to almost anypony’s needs. They even had a selection of delicacies from the Griffon kingdom, much to the distaste of the Canterlot Elite. The entrance was covered by a deep red cloth, that separated the outside world from the darkness within.

Trixie and Vinyl stepped up towards the entrance, turning expectantly to the waiter by the door. He looked them up and down, before lifting a small list up to his face. He straightened his bow tie, before lowering his gaze to the list in front of him and squinting at the paper.

“Names?” he grunted.

“Oh, uh,” Vinyl stumbled. “Vinyl Scratch and Trixie Lulamoon.” She flashed Trixie a smile over her shoulder.

He squinted again, before nodding. “Alright, you’re here. Head inside,” he said, lifting the curtain up with a hoof. “One of the servers will show you to a table.”

“Thanks.” Vinyl motioned for Trixie to step inside, before throwing a worried glance at the bouncer. He stared back at her with unmoving features, his eyes hard. And then, for a moment, they softened, and he flashed her a small smile. Instantly, his face was back to its stoic default, and he dropped the curtain, momentarily leaving Vinyl in the darkness. She blinked quickly, before turning to face the room. Her eyes lit up, and she felt her grin begin to grow wider.

The interior of the Lavender Room was just that, a lavender room. Cool violet lights bathed the soft walls with emotion, and gave the room just enough lighting to cause shadows to dance on the roof. Smooth jazz floated around the room, and Vinyl turned towards its source, spotting a small Jazz Quartet in the corner of the room. The pianist was a small, grey stallion, who flourished his hooves over the keys with ease. To his left was a tall, brown coated unicorn, who had a large double bass leaning upon her shoulder. Her horn shone with a soft auburn, and the strings on her bass plucked and vibrated to the beat.

The drummer, a short-maned maroon stallion, sat behind his small kit, using his hooves to play out a soft, slow rhythm. His head bobbed in time, and a small grin stretched the corner of his mouth. Standing centre stage was a white unicorn, who held a microphone aloft in front of her face, her eyes closed and her body swaying with the song. She opened her mouth, and a soft, almost angelic voice floated out over the assortment of ponies. Vinyl felt, that for a moment, a collective hush ran across the small crowd, as each turned towards the singer, tears welling in their eyes, and words dying in their throats.

Then, the bass brought back in her melody, and the room collectively sighed in content. Vinyl turned towards Trixie, and felt her breath catch in her throat for the second time that day. Trixie stood, her face glowing with violet light, and gazed towards the band, her eyes sparkling. Vinyl pulled the mare close to her, and Trixie instinctively laid her head against her fillyfriend’s shoulder. For a moment, the pair shared a blissful unity, and they both saw the same thing.

“Um, excuse me mademoiselles,” a voice spoke up from behind them. They separated quickly, spinning to meet the newcomer with flushed cheeks. The stallion smiled at them, before pointing a hoof towards a table. “Your lunch awaits.” He smiled warmly at the pair, before leading them right up next to the stage. The pair sat at the small table, and the waiter rounded towards them. “Our menus are in ze center of the table and, if you are ready, I will fetch you drinkz.”

Vinyl studied the wine list before her, her nose crinkling in concentration. “Oh, um, can I get a glass of the Pierre ‘Rose River Red’, please,” asked Vinyl.

Trixie stared at her for a moment, surprised by the choice, before turning to the waiter. “Trixie will have the same.” She nodded, and the waiter spun towards the bar. Trixie turned back to Vinyl and gave her a quizzical look, a small, confused smile on her face.

Vinyl sat back in her chair, her eyebrows raised. “What, am I not allowed to have good taste too?” she asked. Trixie shook her head in response, before placing her menu down on the table. She looked up at Vinyl, only to see the mare staring straight at her.

“What?” asked Trixie, reaching a hoof up to her head. “Does Trixie have something in her mane?” She ran a hoof through, a worried expression clouding her face.

“No, no!” said Vinyl quickly, shaking her head. “It’s just…” Vinyl smiled, resting her head on a hoof. “You look so beautiful in this light.”

Trixie flushed at this. “Oh u-um… Th-that is to say, Trixie thinks that you look fantastic as well,” Trixie stammered, her cheeks burning. Vinyl giggled at her response, glancing up at the band. “They sound wonderful, don’t they?” Trixie asked, turning towards the pianist who sat a few feet behind her.

Vinyl nodded, too content to speak, and began to tap her hoof absentmindedly against the hard wood table leg. She opened her mouth, as if to speak but paused, as the waiter approached the table, two large glasses balanced atop his head. He smiled as he neared, and Trixie lit her horn, lifting the glasses and placing them on the table.

“Thank you,” he said, flashing Trixie another glowing smile. “Have you ladies decided on vat you vish to eat?” He lifted a pen and pad from his suit pocket, poising the pen above the pad in readiness.

Trixie glanced at Vinyl, who nodded. “Trixie will have the… Parsnip Re-Rémoulade, please.”

“Ah excellent choice, excellent choice.” He finished jotting down his notes and turned towards Vinyl. “And for you mademoiselle

Niçoise-Style Salad, but without the peanuts please.” She smiled nervously at the waiter. “I’m allergic.”

He nodded, scribbling quickly. “That is fine, ve aim to please.” He nodded curtly. “Zis will not take too long, as ve are not too busy today. You would think, with la fête in Canterlot, that we would be -” He paused, his hoof against his muzzle in thought. “Plein - full.” He shook his head, a small sigh replacing his smile. “But, alas, everypony has gone, left us for that new café la ciel, across the way.” He seemed to spit the name, his face hardening for a moment. “Not to worry however, I expect they will soon realise what they are missing!”

He turned away from the table, but was stopped by an outstretched hoof from Vinyl. “Quick question, what’s the name of that quartet?” she asked, motioning to the band.

“Ah, Coda Timbre and the Tail Chasers.” He nodded his head, momentarily lost in the soothing tones of Coda’s voice. “Quite popular as of recent, they have the pas, the tonation, of our standards.” He turned back to Vinyl, a small smile on his lips. “If that is all, mademoiselle Scratch, I shall take my leave.” He bowed deeply, before turning and walking in the direction of the kitchen doors.

The band slowed their current song, and the gathered ponies gave a smattering of applause, Vinyl and Trixie among the loudest. After a few moments of silence, the pianist lifted his hooves, and the quartet began to play ‘Détendez-vous et salon’.

Vinyl lifted her head up from her hoof and laid it down on the table, inches from Trixie’s. She kept her gaze on Trixie, and smiled softly, eliciting a blush from the mare opposite. Trixie's hoof slid across the table and rested atop Vinyl's, and the pair locked eyes for a moment. "You know Trix... I don't think I've ever met a mare as wonderful, or as talented as you." Vinyl sighed, her cheeks flushing slightly. "I'm usually the brash party mare, drunk off my head and desperate to get into any filly's pants." She paused, glancing away from Trixie for a moment. "And yet, after all you've seen of me, everything that I've done... You're still here." She brought her gaze up to meet Trixie's, her expression stony. "I just... can't understand it."

"Understand what?" Trixie asked, uncertain.

"How you can still put up with me!" Vinyl lifted her hoof up in exasperation. "I mean, I'm annoying, insensitive and downright slobbish! All I ever talk about is music, and I don't seem to be able to- mmph!" Vinyl looked down at her muzzle, where Trixie's light blue hoof had stopped her voice.

"Vinyl, you are the most beautiful and talented mare Trixie knows, aside from herself, of course." She giggled softly, before lowering her hoof back to the table. "You need to understand that Trixie does truly feel something for you." She smiled softly, and Vinyl felt her body relax. "Stop being so insecure, you silly filly." Trixie tapped her muzzle softly, before turning her head towards the kitchen, where their waiter had just emerged, two plates balanced on his head.

He held his head high, and his posture was immaculate. His face lit up as he approached the table, and he bowed his head, the plates sliding onto the table. "Ladies, I have returned," he said, flashing them another warm smile. "Enjoy!" He backed away from the table with a deep bow.

Trixie and Vinyl turned to their respective plates, and lifted their forks up in preparation. "Trixie," Vinyl began, as she lifted a portion of spinach up from her plate. "About what you were saying. I just... I don't really feel like I'm going to live up to everything you think I am." She placed the food in her mouth and chewed, her eyes downtrodden.

Trixie giggled at that, swallowing her mouthful. "What did Trixie say? No more insecurity, okay?" She leaned forward, her eyes drooping seductively. "Are you not listening? Does Trixie have to punish you?" She winked, and Vinyl felt herself flush.

"Geez Trix, you're getting me all hot." Vinyl waved a hoof in front of her face, the cool air providing temporary relief.

Trixie smiled. "Why thank you, Trixie does her best."

"No, like, really, really hot!" Vinyl lifted her glass of wine and downed it in a single gulp.

Trixie could see Vinyl growing suddenly uncomfortable, and lowered her fork. "Vinyl?" She stood, her chair scraping loudly against the wood below. Instantly, the restaurant froze as the band ceased playing. The pianist stood, the microphone dropping from his magical grip.

"I-I just..." Vinyl paused, pulling at her neck. "It's just so... Hot." She whispered, before falling from her chair to the floor. Trixie rushed to her side in an instant.

"Vinyl, what's wrong? What's happening?" She lifted the mare with her magic, before staring into her half lidded eyes.

Vinyl glanced around deliriously as a small crowd of ponies began to circle the pair. "Trixie? What's... Oh no." She lifted a hoof to her face, studying her white fur intently. After a few tense moments, she saw a portion of her skin begin to bubble. "Oh no no no no no!" She looked away from her hoof towards her fillyfriend, her expression one of fear. "Trixie, the peanuts!"

"What?!" screamed the pair's waiter, who had forced himself to the front of the ring of ponies, and was now steaming from the ears. "Oooooh zat Ram is going to get et when I see him." He swore in Prench, before leaning back down to the pair. "What do you need?" He placed his hoof on Vinyl's, and looked towards Trixie.

"In... In..." Her voice faltered, and she scratched at her throat. "Insulin." She gave Trixie a frantic look. "Insulin Trixie, now."

Trixie nodded, before turning towards the waiter. "Gustav, she needs insulin. Does the restaurant have any?"

He jumped to his hooves, before forcing his way through the large crowd that had formed. Trixie could hear his forced politeness as he rushed towards the kitchen. She took Vinyl's hoof between her own and squeezed, reassured as Vinyl squeezed back.

"Tr... Trix, I gotta say s-something," Vinyl stuttered, her glazed eyes focusing on Trixie. "I can feel my body trying to f-fight back, so I'm not really..." She paused, a small smile creeping across her face. "Thinking... Straight." She giggled. "Not that I'm ever thinking straight." She sighed. "But, before he gets back, I just wanna tell you how I really feel." She looked down at Trixie's hooves and closed her eyes. "Trixie, I-"

Her eyes shot open, and she glanced down at her right shoulder, where Gustav had stabbed a small needle. "I found it!" He smiled openly at her, and she stared at him. He glanced up at the surrounding faces, and his expression changed to one of confusion. "What? Did I do something wrong?"

"Well," Vinyl started, her eyes rolling back into her head. "So much for that."


"We are so, so sorry mademoiselles, Gustav had checked and double checked your meals, and yet still..." He flashed them another apologetic smile.

"Honestly Gustav," Vinyl said, pulling herself from the large bench. "It's not your fault! A simple mistake, is all." She dusted her shoulder, before turning to Trixie. "Sorry for ruining lunch." She hung her head. "I shall accept whatever punishment is deserved."

Trixie leaned over and pecked Vinyl on her cheek. "Trixie decrees, that thou shalt endure her company once more at tonight's ball!"

Gustav shook his head. "You mare's are crazy." He scratched his chin, sighing. "Still, it iz lucky zat we had a patron bring in some insulin this morning."

Vinyl turned away from Trixie's grin and towards Gustav. "They did?"

He nodded sagely. "Quite lucky, as ze kitchen had none in stock."

"Who was he?"

"Sorry," Gustav shrugged. "I do not know." He smiled, before walking towards the pair. "Still, if there iz anything that you two need, Gustav... owes you a favour."

Vinyl stared up at the stallion, her eyes searching his features. After a few moments, she shook her head, and brought a hoof up to his shoulder. “Thank you, again, for your quick thinking.” He nodded at her, before turning towards the rest of the kitchen.

Vinyl spun to Trixie, who had struck up conversation with one of the chef’s at the restaurant. “No no, Trixie does not think you understand her,” her marefriend was explaining. “She asked if you had ever attended one of her shows.”

The chef scratched his head. “Va- vat? Who iz zis ‘Trixie’ you speak ov?” He shook his head before waving a hoof at the mare and returning to his station.

Trixie rolled her eyes at this. “Typical,” she muttered, as she turned her head to Vinyl. “So, miss ‘mare with a plan’, where to next?”

“What? Where did that come from?”

Trixie smiled. “It’s just something you muttered while you were out.” She reached up and brushed a lock of mane from over her eye. “But, the question still stands, where to next?”

“Oh, you know.” Vinyl began, shrugging. “Somewhere.” Vinyl stared deftly at Trixie’s raised eyebrows. “What? I thought I’d just wing this part.”


“How is that fair?!” Belle whispered under her breath as she stood from her table. Through the large kitchen doors she could spot Trixie and Vinyl leaving through the back entrance, their demeanor subtly improved. She huffed, before turning passed the waiting server and stalking out the door.

“Wait! Madame!” Gustav shouted after her, but she had already disappeared out through the large curtains. “Strange…” he muttered, before returning to his duties.


“It’s odd,” Vinyl remarked as she stopped by the gates to Canterlot park. “This place is usually packed right about now. I wonder where everypony is.” She gazed out over the almost empty grass.

“Vinyl.” Trixie started, shooting the mare a deadpanned expression.

“Mhmm?”

“The Canterlot Fete, remember?” Trixie gave Vinyl a small push on the shoulder, eliciting a small giggle.

“Oh yeah.” The two shared a small laugh, before Vinyl pulled Trixie along the path, her horn glowing. “C’mon, I figured out what we can do.” The garden around them flourished as they walked,a s if each hoof step filled the flowers with new life. It was said that Princess Celestia had created this garden in a fit of mourning. As such, the stories that magic flowed freely through the space were never disproved, and many still believe to this day that the flowers and grass were filled with magic beyond the reckoning of even Canterlot’s most exceptional unicorns.

Beyond the rows of flowers spread green grass, dotted occasionally with small clumps of tall redwoods, providing a stark backdrop to the otherwise overly chaotic foreground. Ahead of them sprawled a small lake, its edges surrounded by water lilies. Two large, white swans circled around the centre, their necks entwined. Aside from that, the water was almost still, and the park seemed to be a polar opposite to the city surrounding it. Silence reigned supreme, as if an invisible barrier had been constructed around the area. The pair passed from the pavement and onto the grassy plane, Vinyl leading Trixie to an unknown destination.

The ground began to incline, and before they knew it, the pair were standing atop a grassy knoll. With a flash of magic, a small blanket dropped from the air, and Vinyl dropped onto her haunches, indicating for Trixie to do the same.

“Here?” asked Trixie, her eyes studying her marefriend’s. “Why here? Is this a…” She trailed off as she turned away from Vinyl and looked out in front of them. The grass seemed to give way quickly to the edge of a cliff, and in front of that, Equestria. Large mountains dotted the distance, and small, grassy fields littered the closest parts of her vision. A large blue river spanned between the two, dotted with small towns and communities. But it wasn’t that which made Trixie lose her thoughts, it was what was above that. Celestia’s sun, in all its glory, was making its final descent, and filling the sky with a warm, vivid orange. The heat washed across her face, sending warm shivers down her spine.

She was at a loss for words, Trixie scoured her brains for some way to describe just how she felt at that very moment. It was amazing, beautiful, fulfilling, exciting and strangely arousing all at once. Yet, after a few moments of reflection, she settled on simply, “Oh.”

Vinyl cracked a grin at this, before leaning over and tapping Trixie on the nose. “You are just so cute,” she said, squeezing her shoulders and smiling.

“Trixie believes that is true yes.” She paused, glancing at Vinyl. The DJ had removed her glasses, revealing her ruby eyes. They sparkled in the twilight, accenting what her grin could not. Trixie once again found herself at a loss for words. “You are… t-that is to say - Trixie thinks you look very beautiful in this light.” she finished in a rush, her cheeks burning.

“Oh my gosh!” Vinyl rolled backwards, her grin growing larger. “You-you’re just so…” She hugged herself, before opening her eyes and lifting a hoof up. “Kay, there’s gotta be some ground rules about this okay?”

“Uh.”

She pulled Trixie close then, pressing their lips apart and sending a burning hot wave of passion between them. They broke, and Trixie opened her eyes again, meeting with Vinyl’s. “You’ve got to stop being so freaking cute, okay?” She giggled, and Vinyl gave her a cross look. “No, this is serious, I could die! Fr-from a cute-overload or something!”

“Vinyl, Trixie is fairly sure that is not a real condition.” Trixie gave her a quick peck, before raising her eyebrows.

“Well, maybe not yet. But no doctor’s have met you yet, so how could it be?”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Vinyl, that is just about the sweetest thing you could possibly say. Trixie thinks she may die of a ‘sweetness-overload’.”

Vinyl opened her mouth to reply, but was cut off by a soft pat on her head. “Wha-” She started, looking up towards the source of the feeling. Another quickly followed, and she lifted a hoof to brush the water out of her eyes. “Is it-?”

Raining. It was slow at first, but quickly picked up until a light drizzle surrounded the pair. The gentle taps on their manes seemed to do little, as each one gazed around them.

The water seemed to change the landscape. The grass began to glow softly in the orange light, each droplet, creating a glistening haze of beauty. The trees began to sway, as if dancing to a silent waltz, and the flowers all began to shine towards them. A hush seemed to pass through the park as the rain fell, and slowly the soft patter of rain created a backing score for their lives. The sun created a warm light that spread up their bodies, creating a lighter atmosphere around the pair. They both looked up to each other, their cheeks glowing in the wind.

“Trixie, I…” Vinyls started, but she was stopped by a hoof from the mare.

Trixie shushed her, bringing their lips closer. “Don’t spoil the moment.”

Vinyl nodded, before closing her eyes and leaning in. She could hear the world slowly die away as she slowly focused on Trixie. She could feel the mare’s hot breath mixing with her own, her soft hoof against her burning cheek. She pulled her closer in anticipation, her heart quickening as they closed the gap. She breathed in and-

*Splash*

Vinyl’s eyes shot open, and she stared at Trixie, the mare’s face currently obscured by her wet mane. She lifted a hoof to her mouth to stop the oncoming laughter, but her attempt was in vain, and she toppled backwards, her giggles echoing around the pair.

Trixie grumbled, her ears flattened against the side of her head. She blew a strand of the wet hair out from her face. “Well that’s just peachy.”


Belle’s sigh of relief was barely audible above the pouring rain around her. From her position behind the two, she could see both Vinyl and Trixie laughing together, their hooves tightly entwined. She felt another surge of pain, and readied her horn again, another ball of water forming in front of her. But she stopped, and let it splash back into the swirling pools below her, hanging her head.

They both seemed so… perfect together. The way they acted, talked, spoke, as if they were destined. Vinyl seemed to compliment Trixie’s outrageous bravado, while still managing to create a counterbalance for her own rambunctious personality. They seemed to flow together, peacefully, and Belle couldn’t help but feel regret for her actions. How could she split something like that up?

And then, her anger resurfaced, and she lifted her gaze again, her eyes steeled. Silently, she shifted back onto the streets behind her, leaving the pair to themselves.


The Grand Galloping Gala was never known as a quiet affair, and, after the fiasco of last year, it had cemented its place as one of the more ‘wild’ occasions hosted by the princesses. Ponies from across Equestria would spend days traveling just in the hopes of obtaining a ticket. As such, the main event had still been scheduled in the grand ballroom of the castle. However, an afterparty, which required no invitation, had been scheduled and approved by the princesses, and it was rumoured that Luna herself was planning to attend.

In itself the main event was never really considered a ‘cool’ place to be, which Vinyl had been repeating to Trixie for the majority of their walk to the castle gates.

“Honestly Trix, we really don’t have to go!” Vinyl yelled, her voice barely audible above the general hubbub of the city around them. She was being held just above head height, her body surrounded by Trixie’s violet aura. “You know how much I hate all this… ‘frilly’ stuff!”

Trixie paused, and lowered her marefriend’s eyes down to hers. “So it wasn’t you who took Trixie into a clothing shop and forced her to model a dress, was it?”

Vinyl glanced away, an expression of guilt passing over her face. “W-well, that was different, that was for fun!” She looked back towards Trixie, her trademark smile disappearing from her face. “Besides, I wasn’t the one in a dress.”

“Trixie told you Vinyl,” Trixie started as she lifted the mare back into the sky and began her walk anew. “You purchased her a dress, and she only felt it kind to do the same for you.”

Vinyl’s ‘humph’ was all the consolation Trixie needed to let her know that she had won this small disagreement, and she continued her march, the pair slowly fading into the sea of ponies around them.

Truth be told, Canterlot’s main street had always been busy. Even in the dead of night, there would be at least a dozen ponies traversing the thin cobble, their voices hushed and their hoof stomps masked by careful placement. In the day, however, noise was not an issue. Around them, the city moved, as if run by a clockwork watch. Each action seemed to be significant, each movement of a pony required. The gears of Canterlot turned as Vinyl and Trixie weaved between their complex machinery.

The castle loomed before them, its gates atop a large marble staircase. The golden arches seemed to shimmer under the lantern light, and both mares could feel themselves grow giddy at the sight, as much as Vinyl hated to admit it. The pair stepped inside, and were promptly met by a large white stallion.

“Are you miss Vinyl Scratch and miss Trixie Lulamoon?” he asked, his voice deep and scratchy.

The pair nodded, and he motioned for them to step towards the small set of doors beside the large entrance. “Princess Sparkle requested your gowns be moved to a much easier location for you to prepare, as so you do not have to return to your room.” He spoke softly as they twisted through the winding halls of the castle, their path seemingly random, and yet all too familiar. The guard seemed nonchalant about their trek through the damp glow of the dimly lit corridors, his posture laid back and relaxed.

“Wait, princess Sparkle?” Trixie asked, shooting the guard a questioning look. “As in Twilight Sparkle?”

The guard turned his gaze to meet hers, and nodded sagely, a small smile stretching across his features. “Her coronation was just last week. Did you not read the papers?”

Vinyl shook her head. “We were traveling from Manehatten to Canterlot last week.”

Trixie glanced towards Vinyl, and the two shared a look of concern. “So wait,” She started, her hooves slowing her walk as she kept pace with Vinyl. “Twilight’s a princess now?”

Vinyl shrugged, before slowly motioning for Trixie to continue walking. They eventually reached a large oak door, which the guard pushed open to reveal the large white halls of the castle proper. Long, flowing tapestries hung from floor to ceiling, accented by the golden arches that separated each section of the corridor. Carpet stretched beneath their hooves, and both Vinyl and Trixie instinctively sunk their hooves into the warm folds of fabric.

“Your gowns are just up here,” the guard started, his voice echoing down through the room. He pointed towards another oak door, and the three set off for their destination.

Clothing was never something Trixie was really good at. Aside from her cloak and hat, she’d never bought anything herself. So, when she had finally decided that she would buy Vinyl something, her quest for a gown had begun. She had enlisted the help of one of Twilight’s friends, a unicorn mare who she had wronged at some point. Twilight had told her: ‘just offer to model for her, and she’ll forget all about it!’. And so, she’d done just that. Rarity, the mare’s name, had been in Manehatten with Twilight and the rest of her friends for a performance. Using one of the many shots of Vinyl and her ‘dancing’, Rarity had been able to use her inspiration to craft something unique for Vinyl.

The pair stepped into the room, and, as the guard clicked the door shut, they marveled at the space they had been given. The room was spacious and mostly empty, aside from the two mirrors that sat on either end of the far walls. Two large, wrapped gowns were hung on a mobile clothes rack, their packaging glinting in the bright of the room. The two lifted their respective dresses with their auras, and began the painful task of slowly removing the plastic that protected each from the elements. Slowly, the sound of crinkling packaging gave way to the gentle rustle of silk as the dresses were unzipped and slipped on. Each one seemed to slide into their gown with ease, and the soft fabrics sent soft sensation up their spines. As Vinyl twisted and tied the strings on the back of her dress with her aura, she couldn't help but glance over to her marefriend, who seemed to be waiting patiently for her. She finished with a flourish, before glancing up to Trixie, who had turned her back to her and lifted her mane with her magic.

"Trixie requires assistance with her zip." Vinyl nodded, before she stepped forward and took the small metal between her teeth. Delicately she lifted her head up, and the silence of the room was filled with the soft sound of a sigh. Vinyl paused as the zip met its end, and she found herself close to Trixie's neck. Slowly, she reached forward and planted a small kiss on her throat, only breaking when Trixie leaned in to return the favor. The two stepped apart after mere moments, and Vinyl stood back, admiring her marefriend.

Trixie twirled once, her dress glimmering in the half light. "How does she look?" she asked, a soft smile playing on her lips.

Vinyl's muzzle slowly stretched into a small grin, and she stepped forward to embrace Trixie once more. "Perfect."


The waltz was the dance that most anypony knew, and as such, it was always featured midway through the event. Whilst Trixie and Vinyl had refrained from dancing up until this point, instead choosing to spend time with the newly crowned 'princess' Twilight and her friends, they could only feel guilty as they noticed they were among the few that did not step onto the floor for the dance. Trixie slowly turned to face Vinyl, before she held out her hoof, her masquerade mask still attached to her snout.

"It would be Trixie's honor to have this dance." She bowed deeply, a small smile stretching across her features. Vinyl let out a small giggled, before she accepted the hoof and was slowly led into the mass of ponies. A loud clap resounded throughout the hall, before the assembled ponies lifted themselves up onto their hind legs, interlocking their front hooves with each other. Trixie and Vinyl leaned against each other for support as they attempted to balance, their faces glowing from the act. Slowly, a deep timbre sound filled the ballroom, as the lead cellist slid her bow across the strings of her instrument. A double bass slowly faded into the song, and then, as if in an instant, the rest of the quartet began to play. The room was filled with motion and music as the ponies began to move in tandem with one another. The high notes of a viola mixed within the cello's range, and the two played a duet, backed only by the double bass and piano. The music seemed to bounce, and with it so did the assembled ponies, their bodies spinning and sliding in time.

Vinyl and Trixie spun with them, their movements almost in sync, and they pressed against each other all the while, focused not on their surroundings, but on each other. The pair spun around the ballroom, their path weaving them in and out of the less experienced ponies. To her surprise, Trixie had found that Vinyl was exceptionally good at her role, even as the two stumbled, they seemed to instantly fall back into the flow, as if their movements were natural and of one being. Even as the music slowed down , the two kept time, their movements taking them to the edge of the crowd as the song finished. They embraced as the music ended, their bodies clinging to each other with emotion that had not been present moments before. And then, in an instant, the two separated, avoiding each other's gaze as they glanced at their surroundings, their cheeks glowing with warmth.

Slowly, their eyes met, and each opened their mouth to speak, but paused whilst the other started.

"That was-" Trixie started.

"-Amazing." Vinyl finished, her breath catching in her throat.

Trixie could only nod in response, before she offered her hoof again. "Shall we try another?"

Before she could respond, Vinyl was cut off by the sudden appearance of another masked pony. The large, flowing dress seemed oddly familiar, but from where Vinyl could not place.

"Excuse me miss," the pony started, her voice sounding unnaturally high. "May I have this next dance?"

"Well-" Vinyl started, but was cut off by a laugh from Trixie.

"Of course you can!" her marefriend responded, before pushing Vinyl out towards the mare. "Go, have fun! Trixie shall acquire a drink and see if she can find miss Rarity."

Before she could protest, Vinyl was whisked away into the crowd, her body moving in tandem with the pony she was led by. The mare ahead of her lifted her up to meet, and the two joined hooves, their hind legs moving of their own accord. Vinyl ignored the ponies around her as she danced, instead focusing on the mare in front of her. Something about her seemed to stir emotions within Vinyl, as if she recognized her, or had seen her in passing. She seemed to resonate a sense of Déjà vu, like Vinyl had danced with her before. The mare seemed to notice her staring, because she let out a small laugh, her eyes remaining passive.

"It seems you are starting to recognize me."

In an instant, Vinyl's memory rushed back, and she stopped her dance, dropping back to her hooves. "B-Belle?" she stammered, an edge of fear creeping into her voice. The mare laughed again in reply, before she motioned for them to continue the dance. Vinyl took a step back in response, shaking her head. "No, no way am I going to dance with you." She took another step back, into the couple that had been dancing behind them.

"Hey!" the mare shouted, her eyebrows furrowing.

Vinyl's ears dropped to her head, and she whispered a soft "sorry," before she pushed her way through the crowd and out onto the balcony. The cool night air washed over her as she moved towards the railing, and her blush slowly began to fade. What was Belle doing here? Why was Belle here?

"Vinyl, you don't have to run from me."

Vinyl spun at the voice, her gaze meeting an unmasked Belle's. "There is no way that I would ever hurt you."

"Was it you?" Vinyl asked, her voice rising. A question had started to occur to her, and it was forcing Vinyl into a silent rage.

"Was what me?"

Vinyl waved her forehoof towards the balcony, her tone taking on a sharp and dangerous edge. "All of that stuff today. Was that you?"

Belle seemed momentarily confused, before she seemed to be hit with understanding, and she slowly nodded. "The... sabotages, yes, that was me."

Vinyl seemed shocked, and her expression softened, but the rage instantly replaced any emotion she had had before, and she took a step towards the mare. "Why?"

"What?"

"Why?!"

Belle seemed to ponder this for a moment, before she slowly opened her mouth. "Because I'm still in love with you."

Vinyl was surprised, and she showed it, her eyes growing wide. "W-what? All of that?" She took a step back. "Was because you're 'still in love with me'?" Belle nodded in response, and Vinyl seemed to pause, her expression going blank. Then, she began to laugh. It started slowly at first, as the grin spread across her face, but eventually she was in hysterics, and she had to use a hoof to steady herself from falling backwards in her ecstasy. "Are you serious?" Another nod, and more laughter. "Are you a foal?"

"What?!"

"Those things... T-they seemed like accidents. I thought th-that nopony would ever really...." Vinyl teetered out again, her joy coming back in another bout of laughter. "How could you be so childish?"

"Childish?! Me?!" Belle asked, her tone betraying her otherwise calm nature. "You're the one who started to date that hussy of a mare-"

Vinyl expression changed as those words left Belle's mouth, and while her grin had been harmless before, a hint of venom began to creep into her features. "Pardon?" she asked, her tone sickly-sweet.

Belle faltered, suddenly unsure. "I-I said th-that-"

"I know what you said." Vinyl's gaze turned steely, and she stepped herself up to Belle, her fury now evident across her face. "And if I ever hear you say it again, I will not be so in control, okay?" Belle nodded once again in response, her final attempt meek in comparison.

As Vinyl stalked past her, Belle could feel her final chances slipping away. She couldn't give up now, not after all her hard work. Vinyl deserved somepony better than this 'Trixie', and Belle was sure that, given the right reasoning, Vinyl would see that too. They were destined to be together, Belle had seen it. "Vinyl, wait!" she called out, stepping forward to meet the unicorn. "At least let me leave you with something to remember me by."

"What- mmph!" In an instant, Belle had closed the gap between the two and pressed her lips against Vinyl's. Vinyl pushed her away instantly, her eyes filled with betrayal.

"Vinyl, Trixie is-" Trixie froze, her face clouded with shock. Instantly, tears began to well in her eyes, and Trixie turned away from the two, a low sob leaving her.

"Trixie wait!" Vinyl called, but the mare had already run off through the crowd of ponies inside. Vinyl spun around to face Belle, and her hatred knew no bounds. She looked as if she was about to say something, before she stopped, and just shook her head. In an instant she had taken off after Trixie, leaving Belle alone in the cold evening.

And the dance continued on.


Trixie weaved and spun her way through the crowd, her eyes closed to hold back the flood of tears that threatened to cascade at any moment. Her movements were erratic and unplanned, and yet she fit into the clockwork of the dance around her. She could hear a voice call out her name, but she blocked the sound, instead focusing on her destination. If she could reach her dressing room, perhaps she could take her things before Vinyl could find her.

Vinyl. That name brought back another wave of sadness, and she let out another uncontrolled sob. She'd been so happy. How could she have been so blind, so stupid? Vinyl was using her, it was as simple as that. Trixie lost her focus as she barreled through the door and out into the emptiness of the halls. She glanced around, her vision blurred by her tears, before she took off in the direction of her room.

"Trixie, wait!" The shout came from behind her, and momentarily, she considered stopping. Her tears convinced her otherwise, and she redoubled her efforts to reach the room before her... 'friend'.

A solitary tear can express more than any words ever could. The cold, emptiness of an uncontrolled emotional reaction creates an understanding in almost any creature. Vinyl Ran, her cheeks streaked with a plethora of tears. Ahead of her she could make out Trixie, her form ever retreating. Vinyl could feel her heart chords tugging, and she felt as if the entire ballroom would collapse in on her. Around her, ponies danced, their swaying motion detached from her reality, like an offbeat in a regime march. The clockwork spun around her, even as she tried to cut through she found her way blocked by this and that, as each and everypony decided that they were more important than Vinyl's final chance at redemption.

Trixie disappeared into the crowd, and Vinyl could feel something tug on her emotions. She began to slow, and a sob slowly spread from her body.

Vinyl refused. She refused to give up, and, in her moment of clarity, she shone her horn, and disappeared in a flash.

A sudden flash of blue filled her vision, and Trixie came sliding to a halt, her forehooves rubbing at her eyes in irritation. As her vision slowly returned, she could make out the shape of Vinyl before her, a serious and uncharacteristic expression on her face. "Trixie..."

"No! T-Trixie does not want to hear it!" she pushed the mare away, wiping at her tears with her free hoof.

"Trixie-"

"No!"

"Trixie!" Vinyl shouted, wrapping her hooves around Trixie's. "Stop! Listen to me. P-please." Trixie's ears perked at that, and she glanced up, confusion on her face. A single tear streamed down Vinyl's cheek, almost invisible against her white fur. "Back there, w-what you saw. It wasn't me..."

"Oh," Trixie started, anger flaring up inside her chest. Her tears suddenly started flowing again, but her voice grew steady. "So that wasn't you in there kissing some mare?!"

"Yes! Wait, no!" Vinyl slumped. "Trixie, that was Belle."

Trixie's rage died at that, and she peered at Vinyl, her tears still stinging her eyes. "Y-your ex?"

Vinyl nodded. "Trixie, she came here to tell me how she felt. All those things throughout the day, at the card house, the peanuts, that was her!" Vinyl placed her hooves on Trixie's shoulders. "She came back to tell me she was still in love with me!"

"And what," Trixie started, pushing Vinyl's hooves away. "Y-you realised you were still in love with her too, and decided that Trixie wasn't worth it?"

"No!" Vinyl grasped Trixie again, a sob escaping her this time. "She told m-me that, and I told her s-she could..." Vinyl trailed off. "Trixie, I didn't kiss her, she kissed me!"

"I-isn't that the same thing?" Trixie asked, her voice suddenly unsure.

"She forced me to kiss her Trixie. I-I didn't want that, and I didn't want you to see that!" Vinyl stared at Trixie, her eyes pleading with her. "Trixie, I... I still love you. And, I hope that... I hope that y-you do too."

Trixie stared back at Vinyl, waiting for the moment where she would change, for her to laugh it off and tell her that she was making it all up. It never came, and Trixie's tears began to flow anew. This time, however, they weren't tears of sadness. "O-of course Trixie still lo-" Trixie stopped, and she slowly stood, dragging Vinyl with her. She pulled the mare into a tight embrace, her hooves shaking. "O-of course I-I still love you."

Vinyl pulled tight against Trixie, her hooves squeezing every bit of emotion out of her body. Around them, the empty hall seemed to close in, as if joining in the comfort and realisation of the two ponies and their love. Behind them, the dance continued on, and the laughter began again.

Love is never a fleeting thing. Even here, in her life, Trixie knew this. Vinyl represented Trixie's passion, but it was more than that. She represented her will, and her desire. She was the wild and unpredictable soul that Trixie could use to complete herself, and this thought comforted her more than any other, because she knew that they would be like this forever. Trixie was Vinyl's unwavering conscious. She was everything Vinyl needed to keep her grounded and in her head. Trixie was more than just a lover, she was hers. Entirely and utterly hers, and she would never give her up. And so, as the clockwork of the dance would continue on, Vinyl and Trixie soon found that their love would too.

The End

Author's Note:

And so ends my longest, and by far my most favourite fanfiction!

After over two years of writing and editing and mucking about, I have finally finished what I set out to do: tell a story.

It may have taken me entirely too long to write this final chapter, and for that I apologize. I am an amazing procrastinator at my best, and this fic just took on a life of its own in my head. I had hundreds of ways for me to end this, and, if you'd read my plan, you would know that this was not ever really prepared. But, as I was writing, this is where my story took me, and I followed it without question. As many writers would say 'An author does not create the world in which their story lives; they are merely the tool by which the story brings itself to life'. I have spent way too long on this story, and while I love it dearly, I have reread over the first few chapters, and they need a lot of revision. I have come a long way since the start of this story, and such is evident by my first chapters. I will be going back and editing at some point.

There will be another, final conversation post, and an epilogue shortly, but for now, I am tired.

For those of you who are new, welcome to the end! And for those of you who have been here since the beginning: Thank you so much for sticking with me to the end. It has been a pleasure to write for you all, and I will continue to do so until I can no longer put pen to paper!

I hope you enjoyed, and, as always, comments and criticism are welcome!

Signing off,
Taranasaurus :scootangel:

Comments ( 6 )

5303737

Good job my child.

XD

In all seriousness. Good job.

Bravo. A few minor typos (Her 'bravo' instead of 'bravado') but still an enjoyable ride. A rather uncommon but still sweet pairing.

Aww. Over already after all this time? Fine. I'll just keep this one in my favs and continue to reread it over and over again until someone writes another. Good story though. I love this pairing you did! Sad I just got to read this chapter no after it was posted but my read it later list was long.

5314399 I still have another semi-chapter to finish, and an epilogue left, so it's not quite over. I was also thinking of writing a few 'mini' style stories, only a few thousand words long that explore the other parts of the relationship.

It'll be a bit later on though. I mean this fic took me 2 years, so I'm kinda nervous about starting another...

Login or register to comment