• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 1,084 Views, 41 Comments

Expanding Horizons - mechafone



Sequel to Legends Of Ponyville. As Spark Storm resumes his life in Canterlot, Anorax and his changeling friends receive a message from halfway across the world - 'Come home'.

  • ...
0
 41
 1,084

1 - Reenlistment

Spark Storm laid on his bed, a quiet, almost dead scowl in his eyes. He'd had a rough week, and being back in his old Canterlot apartment just didn't feel right anymore, and most of this was coming from Sohl's absence. That, and he'd been dumped, but of course he'd been expecting that. Sohl, one of his most trusted confidants and closest friends, had been acting strangely the day Shimmering Oasis attacked. That day, both alicorn and harpy disappeared without a trace.

Spark was due in Celestia's audience chamber in ten minutes, but he'd scarcely moved after the third day of waiting for Sohl to come back. It was all too apparent by now that she wasn't, and it was affecting Spark so negatively that even Orea couldn't move him.

A gentle, almost timid knock on the door perked Spark's attention. It wasn't a hard, hoof-on-wood knock. It had a high, almost tinny sound to it. It was a sound that he recognized, a sound that made him very angry. It was a harpy's knock. He didn't bother to respond. He simply rolled away from the door as the sound of scratching at the door could be heard. "Oh, this is so strange...how do you ponies open doors?" Amacia's voice sounded from outside.

Spark sighed heavily and waited a moment. Amacia was still having trouble two minutes later. Finally, he said, "Push in on the circle, hold down, then push in."

There was quiet, and finally the door's inner latch clicked as the harpy did as she was told. She slipped inside and closed the door behind her, eyes wide with anxiety. She'd spent the entire day walking here from the royal gardens - as a chicken. She'd had way too many close encounters with random ponies for comfort.

Amacia frowned sadly down at Spark Storm. He must've been really attached to Sohl...but Sohl is a monster, like the rest of them. What does that say about him? she thought warily as she approached his bed slowly.

"What do you want?" Spark asked, breaking the quiet in the room loud enough to make Amacia flinch. She continued on after a moment, and finally sat down behind Spark. She rested a hand lightly on his back between his shoulder blades.

Amacia closed her eyes to concentrate. While Spark's angry attitude scared her a little, her motherly instincts overrode her fear. Amacia was a true coward in most situations; when it came to her own safety and mortality, she came first. Self preservation was usually her first instinct in dangerous times. But when it came to others' pain and safety, her instincts as a medic kicked in, and that included the ones that were too depressed or angry to think straight.

"Mister Storm, you can't stay here. There are politics involved with your return," Amacia told him, meeting his annoyed gaze as he glanced back at her. "...s-so I'm told. I get that, and times like these, it's important not to fall behind. Not just for others around you, but for you. I realize you're mourning the disappearance of your friend, but the more you let yourself sink into this depression, the harder it'll be to pull yourself out of it."

Spark's gaze narrowed, an angry glare that he fixed on Amacia. He knew she was right, but right now he was just too hurt and angry to try picking himself up again. "...I don't care," he told her.

Amacia steeled herself to get intense, but a new presence made itself known in the room. "Oh, that's it," an angry feminine voice said from the darkness of the other side of the apartment. Amacia jumped in surprise, being unaware that Ampelus was already inside. The nymph strode forward, the vines around her body writhing with agitation. "Storm, you're the single bravest, most stubborn creature I've ever met. I don't care if you are still just a child, this behavior is embarrassing! Now get your ass out of bed and get all clean and shiny for the princess!"

Spark tensed at the look in the nymph's eyes, completely different from the look she'd given him in the caves. Even if they'd achieved a respect and trust for each other, that apparently didn't mean that she would be compliant and gentle. This would probably have significant positive influence on him at a later point in time, but right now it was just making him angrier. "Nopony asked you, Ampelus. Just leave me alone, I'm warning you!"

Ampelus stopped approaching when she got to the foot of Spark's bed, a look in her eyes that told him she wasn't playing around, either. Suddenly, she grinned a most evil grin and reached down with her vines to wrap around his waist and lower legs. Spark immediately set his wings ablaze with electricity and struck down at her vines, quite ineffectively. By now, Amacia had reverted to her little chicken form and hid under the bed.

Spark looked on in shock as his attacks, which were usually very effective against Ampelus, were now rendered moot. In the darkness of the room, he could barely make out long, black shapes along her vines. His wings were tied together, and that's when he felt it; the smoothness of his captors, the cold surface. Nymphs weren't cold, so..."Rubber? Are you kidding me?!" he yelled at her.

Ampelus grinned, quite pleased with herself. "After our encounter with that Lotus mare, I figured if it worked for her, it could work for me. Ingenius. Someone somewhere is probably wondering where all his rubber went to, and you can't make me take it back, now that I know this works."

Spark Storm, his control over the situation taken completely from him, roared with anger. "You put me down right this instant! Right now!"

Ampelus shivered with delight at Spark's indignity. "I'll have to remember this for later. Right now, I'm doing this for your own good. You need a bath, stinky."

Spark glared down at Ampelus with intense anger as she pulled him close and walked off with him to the bathroom. "Ampelus, I am warning you-"

The pegasi's threats and protests fell on deaf ears. Amacia peeked her head out from under the bed, her beady eyes curious, and in awe of how quickly the nymph had taken control of the situation. She stood in rapt attention, listening as the shouting from both parties escalated until there was a splash, then quieter, more subdued arguing. Suddenly, Amacia heard Spark shriek. Not scream or yell, but shriek. Immediately following, there was an explosion from the bathroom, a great splash of water, and then quiet.

The harpy watched as water seeped out under the doorway, then the door opened as Spark Storm walked out, looking frazzled, violated, angry and embarrassed, but he was spotless and smelled fresh and clean. Behind him, Ampelus walked out looking more pleased than she had any right to be. "There, that wasn't so bad, was it? Your princess can buy you a new bath, right?" She paused and looked back into the bathroom, now too dark to see as the light had malfunctioned due to getting wet. "...you might need a whole new bathroom, come to think of it."

Spark Storm stopped at the door as he glared silently back at the nymph. Ampelus turned back to look at him, a hoof brought up to her mouth to hold in the laughter at the look she was giving him. "Don't look at me like that, I am what I am. And you discovered that you can't shock yourself in water, that's bound to be useful, right?"

"I kind of hate you right now," Spark told her, still holding that glare.

Ampelus grinned gleefully and stepped towards him, her vines retreating, leaving the coils of rubber to fall on the floor. "I know. So do I have to march you down there, or are you going to be a responsible pegasus and get to your meeting yourself?"

Spark snarled and fled the apartment, slamming the door shut behind him. Ampelus grinned and hopped onto the bed where Spark had previously been laying, rolling on her back. She took in a deep breath, then let it out slowly and smiled to herself. Amacia poked her head over the top of the bed, having returned to harpy form, a questioning look in her eyes. Come to think of it, she hadn't noticed Spark Storm having an overpowering odor at all. Ampelus winked at her.


Spark Storm heaved a great sigh as he stepped away from his apartment. He slowly came to a stop, his eyes closed. He took a few deep breaths, listened to the sounds of the city, felt the wind in his mane. He really did feel a little better out here, even after Ampelus had just treated him. He supposed he owed her a thanks for getting him off his ass, but that bath was completely uncalled for. Still, he smelled like roses and sweet smelling stuff. Now that he thought about it, he definitely needed to talk to Ampelus about using his bathtub. Well...when they got a new one. Not a conversation he was looking forward to having with the princess. Speaking of which, he was late for a meeting with her. He took off at a run towards the palace.

Now that Spark Storm was out of his apartment, a real sense of urgency started to rise in his stomach. He hadn't cared about being late, or even going to this meeting. He hadn't deemed it important. But now he ran as fast as he could. As he approached the gate leading into the palace, a pair of pegasi, white and adorned with golden armor, stepped in Spark's way. "Meeting with the princess, gotta go!" he called, and leapt up into the air, his wings giving him extra boost as he sailed over the guards' heads.

The two started to pursue, but stopped when a big white unicorn stood in their way and smiled down at the two good-naturedly. "At ease, you two. He's one of 'them.'"

The guards, both of whom were new, stared up at their lieutenant in awe. They'd heard of Celestia's Fighters, but had never seen one. They returned to their posts, both looking a little perturbed. After a moment the guard on the right learned towards his partner. "So...did you know that they came that young?"

Spark flew down the hallway leading to Celestia's audience chamber. Finally, he came to a stop before the great double doors, a frown on his face. The last time he'd been in this room, the manure had figuratively and almost literally hit the fan. A terrible fall-out had occurred between him and Princess Celestia, and things hadn't looked too good between her and Sohl, either. Or Orea, for that matter. Still, if he was going to move past that incident, he needed to grab the minotaur by the horns. He took one more deep breath, then pushed the doors open slowly.

Spark Storm took in the scene before him, a small knot already forming itself in his stomach. The entire Fighters team had been assembled, something he'd hoped wouldn't happen for his first meeting with the princess. The last thing he needed was his very recent ex-girlfriend sitting there judging him while he began this meeting. There was no helping it now, though. He stepped down the red carpet, sighing once more as he contemplated his fate.

"Spark Storm, it's a pleasure to see you again," Celestia told him in that too-pleasant voice she used when she was trying to hide annoyance or anger. "I was beginning to think that you wouldn't be making it this morning."

Spark's ears flattened, inclining his head ever so slightly in apology. "I'm very sorry, princess," he told her, already feeling the glares of his comrades. "I found it a little difficult to leave the apartment today. I apparently needed some...'help'."

Celestia regarded Spark Storm for a moment. Finally, she nodded her head, apparently accepting his answer. "I suppose it's all right, Spark. This hasn't been the most pleasant month for anypony. Now...you know why you're here, Spark Storm. Please, if you would?"

Spark let out a sigh of relief at the princess' forgiveness and dismissal of him being late. He was grateful for a break for once. Now, the hard part. He took a moment to look over the faces of his comrades. At least, they had been. This meeting would determine if they would be his teammates again. Finally, he spoke. "We are all gathered here to determine my immediate future," he began. "Certain events in the past month have left my reliability in question. I need your help in determining my reenlistment with the Fighters, whether it is to be so, or if I am to be relieved of my standing, and removed from the princess' service."

Celestia smiled approvingly at Spark. He'd been practicing his speech. She was worried that he wouldn't be prepared, but apparently he was willing to take this meeting seriously. "Well spoken, Spark Storm. Now, the rest of you: I need not tell you what has transpired over the last month. Spark Storm, while separated from us, has gone through several ordeals, including life-threatening situations that could've gone very differently had he not been involved. His presence in these matters helped to save many lives, even though an entire race of creatures was obliterated in the process." Celestia held a hoof for silence when Spark looked like he had something to say. "Entirely not your fault, Spark. Nopony is blaming you for that."

"What we are blaming you for is ditching the team!" Heads turned, including Celestia's, to watch Flash Fire step forward, her famous temper flaring up. "Look, I stood behind you when you demanded that we all step up and choose between you and Sapphire for our leader. It was bad enough that you made that scene, but then you went and ran off. You ditched us, Spark Storm. We needed you and you ran off with your tail between your legs."

Spark winced at Flash Fire's words. It was true, it was very true. He nodded quietly in agreement. "Thank you for your input, Flash Fire," Celestia's voice seemed so loud in the silence following the unicorn's accusation. "This is what I am looking for; input from all of you. Flash Fire has gone first, and does not need to add anything else." Flash Fire winced at the princess' tone, then sat down quietly.

Gunslinger stepped up next. He and Spark locked eyes for a moment, then the unicorn took his turn. "I agree with Flash Fire." What? Spark thought, panic and a bit of hurt tightening in his chest. "I think what happened the night of Sapphire's party was overly dramatic and completely unnecessary. A lot o' drama coulda been avoided if Spark Storm had just accepted his role with some dignity." Spark sighed quietly and lowered his gaze. Things were not looking good for his return. "But..." Gunslinger continued, "Spark Storm demonstrated extreme valor, courage and leadership in his role against the changelings and the alicorn Shimmering Oasis.

"Thanks to his quick thinkin', he and I were able to put a stop to Shimmering Oasis' attack on Ponyville. It was only thanks to our combined efforts that no single pony died in town that day. Not only that, but it was thanks to him and that fancy white pony he arrived with at the changeling caves that the unicorn Russet Hearts and the pegasus Fluttershy were rescued. I'm told it was no easy feat, neither, in their battle with the unaccounted-for Fire Lotus. I'm castin' my vote a 'yes' for his reenlistment."

Spark Storm gave Gunslinger a small appreciative smile, then turned his eyes to Lemon Pop. He's already done wrong by her, so he was expecting her to go hard on him. However, the red pegasus simply smiled at him. Her decisiveness had quickened since a month ago, her confidence no longer in question. "I am all for Spark Storm returning to his duties." Lemon Pop stepped towards Spark Storm, then sat down at his side, facing her teammates, a hardened look in her eyes. "Now I ask you all to think back, and I mean think reeeaaally hard. How many times have you all screwed up? Made a mistake that made others question your judgment or your loyalty? Because I tell you all right now, the night that Spark Storm left I made a choice that should've put me in the same situation as Spark Storm is in.

"That night I chose Spark Storm over my best friend." Lemon Pop's speech, from the beginning, had grabbed the attention of the others from the start. Lemon Pop wasn't normally this serious, and she wasn't normally one to make speeches, or to take charge. She was a silly pony that was much too hyper and had a mean kick. Only Sapphire Snow knew her to get like this, having experienced Lemon Pop's more serious and actually wise words herself. Sapphire found herself frowning; not from her distaste for Lemon Pop's support, but from being under her best friend's scrutiny.

"I know that I ended up backing up Sapphire that night instead of Spark Storm, but I had already made my choice, and I still stand by it. Spark Storm has been a bigger influence on this team than any other pony in the history of Celestia's Fighters, and I believe that his choice to leave the team might have been the right thing to do."

The entire team of pegasi, earth pony and unicorn stared at Lemon Pop as if she were crazy, Spark Storm included. Celestia herself seemed speechless as she looked down at the two pegasi standing together. Lemon turned to Spark, a determined look in her eye. "Spark Storm, you've been such a big influence on all of us. You've been brave, smart, and you've put your life on the line for us so many times that I feel it's a crime that we're even having to make a decision on whether or not to keep you on. I'd follow you into Tartarus if you asked me to...you've always believed in me and you never questioned my judgment," she paused, then turned to look at the rest of her team. "And if any one of you questions my judgment, I won't forgive you!"

Celestia smiled warmly. She was very happy that Spark Storm had found such a loyal friend. Lemon Pop's speech had struck a chord in the rest, it seemed. The doubts and misgivings that the rest of the team had held in reserve seemed to melt away with the red pegasi's testament. The ponies remaining glanced at each other, each daring the other to have a negative word to say about Spark.

After a full minute's pause, Sapphire Snow stepped forward, an angry but tired and resigned look in her eyes. "Well Lemon Pop, I think you broke the possibility of Spark Storm being sent away. I, for one, wanted Spark to stay. My...personal feelings aside, I think that he's completely reliable, honorable, intelligent, and more than worthy to stay with the team. Just don't expect me to welcome him back with open arms or a friendly word," she said, fixing Spark Storm with a furious gaze. "You won't get any forgiveness from me anytime soon, so just stay away from me. Welcome back to the team," she finished coldly, then made her way quickly out of the room.

The room was silent and awkward until Sapphire disappeared down the hall. As soon as she was gone, though, the room erupted into cheers and elated 'whoop's. Lemon Pop was the first to hug Spark Storm, since she was the closest, nearly bowling over the bigger pegasus. She gave him room as the others came close to give their congratulations, all except Flash Fire. She didn't really care about Spark's broken relationship with Sapphire, she had her own reasons to disagree with the now-unanimous decision to keep Spark Storm on the team. Her attitude was closely monitored by the princess, who was starting to suspect that these issues between Spark Storm and the team were far from over.

Spark was in the middle of receiving noogie from Frostbite when the princess cleared her throat to catch the ponies' attention. "My friends, thank you all for coming and lending your opinions and honesty. This meeting is adjourned. I would ask that you all prepare for a new meeting in two days. In the meantime, I must ask that you all find time to extend a welcome to the newest possible member of the team, Shadow Heart." Celestia turned her attention to Spark. "Spark Storm, you know where he is, if I'm not mistaken? Please prep our new friend for what is to come, as our newest member the routine is freshest for you. See that he gets the proper welcoming from our other members."

Spark Storm nodded, then managed a respectable bow of his head. "I will, princess."

Celestia paused as she remembered something else on her list. "And I think it's about time that we discussed your two new companions..."

Spark sighed quietly and gave a nod to his friends and teammates. Understanding that this was going to take a while, Lemon Pop bounced her way out of the audience chamber, followed by the others. As soon as the room was opened, Celestia closed the doors across the large room with her magic, then smiled patiently down at Spark Storm. "Spark, I think it's obvious that you've proven that you're trustworthy. All of your companions thus far have also been trustworthy. I...I had my doubts about Sohl," she paused, noting the frown now developing on Spark's face, "but even she proved herself, despite her apparent disappearance.

"I still have yet to meet this Amacia, but from what you've already told me she seems to be harmless. A bit of a coward, from what I've seen, though little Orea informs me that she's quite practiced in medicine. This might prove useful, and would be most welcome. Now...your association with the nymph Ampelus concerns me. I have heard disturbing things about her, specifically from Flash Fire and Frostbite, both of whom fought with her after she violently violated poor Flash Fire." Spark had gone strangely quiet during this, and had fixed a frowning gaze upon Celestia's throne beyond her. "What have you to say about this, Spark Storm?"

Spark finally glanced up at Celestia, his gaze confident and hard. "I know she's not the best choice on whether or not to keep around. She does have a hunger and a certain intent on making others uncomfortable, and she can be dangerous. But Ampelus chose to sacrifice herself so that Fluttershy and I could escape with our lives. I chose to remove that choice from her. I believe that in doing so, I earned her trust and her respect. I believe that in doing so I've earned her obedience. She's still a bit...touchy now and then, but so far she hasn't endangered anypony or given me reason to think that she might hurt any others in any way. I owe her my life, as she owes me hers. I'll take full responsibility for her."

Celestia stared down at Spark in slight surprise. This change in the nymph had come quite suddenly, and Spark Storm was quick to change his mind about her. Then again...a small smile spread over her face, lighting up her eyes. She was very proud of how far he'd come. Spark Storm was already starting to heal..."I see. I shall trust your judgment, Spark. Please, keep her in line, at the very least away from Flash Fire. I don't want there to be any reason to confront her."

Spark Storm smiled and nodded his head in agreement. Suddenly remembering this morning, Spark paled just a little. "Uh, Princess," Spark said cautiously. "I forgot to mention something that needs immediate attention. Uh...could I possibly have you send somepony out to fix my bathroom?"