• Published 23rd Jan 2013
  • 2,302 Views, 192 Comments

Doing Science - dashie76



You're not safe In this place All of us warned you of the big white face

  • ...
5
 192
 2,302

Chapter 16

She was crying again.

She fell off of the bench, writhing in agony. With each second that passed, the pain in her stomach grew more and more intense. She felt the train rumbling beneath her as she gazed up at her tormenter, tears streaming from her eyes and staining her coat.

"S-Stop it, Pinkie...I'm going to throw up..."

The party pony giggled and snorted, her own body wracked with laughter. "No! No, Twilight, it's like this-" Pinkie flattened her usually bouncy mane into bangs and fell down against the floor next to the prodigy. She closed her eyes, imitating sleep, and then "woke up" with a start.

"Right on it, Spitfire! I...uh...oh, it's morning..."

The train car roared with laughter from each and every pony within. Even Fluttershy, normally quiet and reserved, had to cover her mouth to keep her tears from falling into it.

"P-Pinkie Pie..." the timid pegasus managed. "T-That sounds exactly like Dashie..."

This sent a fresh bout of giggles throughout the room, and as the train carried the group of friends ever closer to Aperture Science Laboratories, their future shined brighter than ever. As the tracks rattled beneath them, the ponies slowly subdued their laughter into chuckles and snorts, and finally gained a moment to simply breathe.

An orange farmpony grabbed at a mug of hot cocoa sitting beside her. "Heh...You sure know how to tell 'em, Pinkie Pie..." She took a swig and set the mug back down again.

"Oh, I know that, Applejack!" Pinkie Pie leaped back up into her seat next to Fluttershy. "I'm the best in town when it comes to jokes! And I hadn't even started on you guys yet."

"I do hope you're joking, dearie." said Rarity. "Surely your, ah, collection isn't that extensive?"

Twilight Sparkle finally picked herself up from the floor and sat down next to the fashionista. "I think it would be best not to test her on that one, Rarity."

Pinkie gasped. "Collection? Are you kidding? I've got a freaking arsenal!"

"I'm sure you do, Pinkie," replied Twilight. "Anyways, what would you guys like to do now?"

Applejack yawned. "To be honest, Twi', I'm real tired. I think we should all get some sleep for tomorrow."

"I agree with Applejack," replied Rarity. "After all, look outside. It might as well be dawn."

Twilight glanced out the window, craning her neck. The night sky shimmered brightly overhead, the canvas of stars seemingly sweeping its way across the atmosphere. The full moon twinkled and sent a softly shining light through that canvas. It was a breathtaking sight to behold.

"Yeah...I guess you're right." The purple unicorn stood up and stretched, her neck cracking. "I guess I'll see you all in the morning, then."

A quiet murmur of agreement passed through the crowd and the mares began to trot back to their respective cabins. Twilight levitated the used plates and cups from earlier in the night onto a table nearby. I'll wash them in the morning, she thought. She turned back towards the couches, seeing that only Fluttershy remained. The pegasus was staring blankly at a wall, seemingly lost in thought.

Twilight frowned. "Fluttershy...?"

The pegasus blinked, her body jumping slightly. "O-Oh...Sorry, Twilight." She hung her head. "I was just, um, thinking about Rainbow Dash. It...feels like a long time since we've last seen her..."

"Yeah, I know what you mean." Twilight sat down next to Fluttershy, smiling. "It really wasn't that long ago, but we used to see her all the time. Now that she lives so far away from us, I guess...I don't know. It's just strange. But don't think that way. We'll see her tomorrow. You should be excited!"

"Oh, I know that, and I am, really...i-it's just..." the pegasus gulped. "I mean..."

"...what if something bad happened to her...?"

Twilight tilted her head to the side. "Uh...what exactly do you mean?"

"W-Well...there's a lot of machinery where she works, right? I-I mean, what if something malfunctioned or went wrong when we were gone..." Fluttershy brought a hoof up to her face. "I-I almost wish I could be there right now...just to make sure she's okay..." She felt a hoof turn her face towards Twilight's. The unicorn smiled sweetly.

"Nothing happened, Fluttershy. I guarantee it. Honestly, I don't know why you're so worried all of a sudden."

She smiled sheepishly. "Yeah...I guess you're right. That was kind of silly of me."

Twilight stood up and trotted towards the cabin door against the far wall. She opened it and turned back around to Fluttershy. "Now let's get to bed. We really should get some rest."

The pegasus nodded. "Alright. S-Sorry about all that worrying. I don't know what came over me..." She looked up playfully. "You wouldn't happen to know some kind of mass teleportation spell, would you? To get us there quickly, I mean."

Twilight chuckled and grinned. "I'm just doing my best, Fluttershy."

She closed the cabin door behind her and stretched one more time. She plodded her way into her hammock and squirmed around for a few moments, trying to get comfortable. Finding a desirable position, she sighed and felt her mind slipping into the sweet embrace of sleep. As she drifted off into a land full of dreams and nonfeeling, she thought of the day ahead of her. She thought of her friends and smiled once more.

"I'm just doing my best..."

Author's Note:

Author's note: For those of you that are wondering, no, I am not getting rid of the script format. I wanted to experiment a bit with the traditional style, so I worked it into the story. Recording chapters will become more frequent again as time goes on, I promise. As always, thank you for reading and all of the support that you give!