• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 921 Views, 9 Comments

Of Love and Crystals - Pnakotic



A Sequel to A Dream, A Bow, and a Letter. Olive Branch moves to Ponyville, attempts to make friends, and helps to solve one of the great catastrophes that seem to happen on a semi-weekly basis.

  • ...
4
 9
 921

Chapter 8

To reappear on the balcony where Princess Cadance had just recently collapsed from exertion, the shielding spell had finally taken its toll on her as she lied in a near comatose state. With the shield gone the sky turned dark, down below the ponies screamed. Upon seeing the Crystal Heart Cadance became reinvigorated. Passing the Heart into Cadance’s magical aura Olive Branch spoke with a ragged voice, “Take it, take it and save your ponies.” After giving him a brief questioning glance Cadance took off with the Heart.

Olive Branch felt a massive surge of power as the ley lines were focused with the emotions of the crystal ponies. In a great flash of light King Sombra’s darkness was obliterated, along with the reborn king himself. The ponies around him had crystalized due to the magical flux, Olive Branch absorbed the same amount of energy yet he remained unchanged.

‘At the very least,’ Olive Branch thought, ‘this may have improved Princess Cadance’s opinion on changelings.’ But the greater question remained, why had he given away such power? Was it out of loyalty to his friends? Probably not, his loyalty to the swarm would always supersede that. Perhaps it was that he didn’t trust himself with such power, or perhaps he knew the swarm wouldn’t, in the end, truly benefit from having the Crystal Heart. In truth he didn’t know why.

“Olive Branch!” A now crystalized Twilight entered the room and wrapped Olive Branch in a suffocating hug, “I knew you’d do the right thing.”

“Twilight…” Olive Branch sighed, stopping Twilight’s speech with a raised hoof, “I didn’t decide to help you until the last minute, and in fact I still don’t know why I helped you in the end.”

“Well… that doesn’t matter does it? All that matters is that you did help, right?” Twilight said encouragingly.

“I suppose, but still I should have helped my kin over yours. At least that’s what part of me says.” Olive Branch said, still conflicted over the matter.

“But you did help them, by helping us you’ve secured an alliance as well as good standing for the changelings, I promise you that.”

Olive Branch thought on Twilight’s words for a few minutes, finally he decided it was time to move on, “Twilight we’d best get back to Canterlot, I’m sure the princesses as well as the queen will want to know what happened here.”

“You’re right,” Twilight said, her ears drooping slightly, “I just hope Princess Celestia isn’t too upset at me for failing her test.”

“Failed? How so? Your actions lead directly to King Sombra’s defeat and the restoration of the entire empire, how is that a failure?”

“While that may be true it was supposed to be me who delivered the Crystal Heart not you.”

“Fear not, I have no doubt that Princess Celestia will see that your actions were just as important if not more so than mine.” Olive Branch argued.

“I hope you’re right.” Twilight said unconvinced.

Their conversation was interrupted by the arrival of Princess Cadance and Shining Armor. Shining Armor immediately began coddling his younger sister while Cadance had a word with Olive Branch, “It seems I’ve misjudged you, Olive Branch, and for that you have my apologies. I was afraid you were here only to sabotage my efforts, and because of that I treated you poorly without reason. I hope you’ll forgive me…” Cadance said.

“There was no harm done, milady, but I believe there is another whom you ought to offer forgiveness to. It may not seem like it but she does desire to build bridges not burn them.” Olive Branch pleaded kindly.

“I’ll… consider it, there is a great deal of bad blood between us, but if Chrysalis is willing to let that go than I suppose I will try as well.”

After many farewells, and in Twilight’s case reassurance, the group headed back to Canterlot.