• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 920 Views, 9 Comments

Of Love and Crystals - Pnakotic



A Sequel to A Dream, A Bow, and a Letter. Olive Branch moves to Ponyville, attempts to make friends, and helps to solve one of the great catastrophes that seem to happen on a semi-weekly basis.

  • ...
4
 9
 920

Chapter 3

Twilight lay in bed later that night; her thoughts were abuzz with what she had learned earlier that day. She though back on her actions of the previous day and about how rude she had been to Olive Branch, heck to her friends too. She should do something to make it up to him, thinking for a moment she came up with a plan to help Olive Branch learn more about pony culture, it would only take a few adjustments to her schedule. After working out the necessary changes in her head Twilight finally let sleep take her. Her dreams, however, would prove to be as turbulent as her thoughts had been.

Twilight stood victorious, the changeling Queen Chrysalis lay defeated at her hooves. After Celestia had fallen Twilight had challenged the fiend who had defeated her mentor. The battle had been surprisingly easy, after seeing Celestia overpowered Twilight knew she stood no chance in a direct match of magical might. Thinking on her hooves she had cast an invisible reflexive barrier so that when the queen’s attack struck it was redirected back at her. The effect had been the best Twilight could have hoped for, Chrysalis had been caught off guard at the sudden reversal of her own power and had taken the blow full force. She had collapsed and fallen from the dais, rolling to a stop in front of Twilight.

Twilight readied her magic to deliver the final blow; with a single spell she will have saved Equestria once again. She would be regarded as a hero; there would probably even be a stained glass window or something memorializing her victory. All she had to do was cast one simple spell, Twilight’s horn glowed with energy all she needed to do was release it. “Can you do it? Can you kill a mother whose stolen food for her children?” A voice echoed in her head. Twilight faltered, looking down at the queen in front of her, she now saw how tired she looked, how weak she was. The worst part though was her eyes, behind the veil of anger and hatred Twilight could see sorrow, sorrow so great she feared it might consume her simply by witnessing it. Twilight’s magic faded along with her willpower to perform the deed, she hung her head with a sigh.

“What are you waiting for? Finish me!” Chrysalis begged, “Please, I could not bear to rot in a dungeon watching my subjects die a slow death! Finish me!”

Twilight shook her head, “No, there must be a better way, we could work something out, it doesn’t have to end like this.” Twilight offered a hoof to help Chrysalis to her hooves knowing full well she was defenseless against any spell the queen might cast at her. “Please…” she pleaded. Finally, Chrysalis accepted her hoof and allowed Twilight to help her up to a sitting position.

“Twilight…” Princess Celestia’s voice sounded behind her, Twilight turned to see that the solar princess had recovered from her defeat.

“Princess are you ok?” Twilight asked with concern.

“I’m fine, but are you? Why haven’t you dealt with the queen?” Celestia said her tone turning to one of anger and disappointment. “Have you forgotten what she’s done? Her crimes toward you, your brother and Princess Cadance?”

“No I haven’t, but that doesn’t mean she deserves to die!” Twilight argued.

“That is not for you to decide, that judgment belongs to me.” Celestia said with a tone that brokered no argument.

“But…” Twilight tried to explain but fell silent when Celestia glared at her.

“I, Princess Celestia, Co-ruler of Equestria, hereby sentence Queen Chrysalis to death.” Celestia gave Twilight an expectant look, “Now Twilight fulfill the sentence, execute her!”

Twilight turned to Chrysalis with a frown on her face; Chrysalis returned her look with that of one who had accepted her fate. Twilight shut her eyes; she didn’t want to see the result of her spellcast. Her horn glowed once more with magic, a moment passed, sweat dripped down her brow as she stood there ready to unleash the deadly blow. With a sigh Twilight dispersed the magic once more and turned back to Celestia, her head hung low as she was unable to meet the princess’ glare. “I’m sorry… I… I can’t do it.”

“Then it seems… that I know exactly what kind of mare you are, Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight looked up in confusion to see the white alicorn in front of her had faded away to be replaced with a dark blue one.

“Princess Luna? What are you doing here…?” Twilights thoughts died off as she looked around to find herself not in Canterlot but rather in a large field. Twilight grew frantic with confusion over the sudden scenery change.

“Fear not Twilight Sparkle, this is merely a dream, you are asleep presumable at you home in bed.” Luna said comforting the panicking mare.

“So… that was all a dream, it wasn’t real?” Twilight asked confused.

“It was indeed a dream but it was nonetheless real, Twilight. It was indeed a test for you; I was curious how you would perform given such a situation.” Luna explained.

“A test? Then what would have happened if I’d killed Chrysalis?” Twilight asked.

“Then I still would have known exactly what kind of mare you were, though I think I prefer the result you chose.” Luna paused, “The point of a test, however, is to show what you have learned. So tell me, Twilight Sparkle, what have you learned?”

Twilight thought for a moment before replying, “I’ve learned that there is no black and white distinction between good and evil, nor is everything always as it first appears. It’s always necessary to look at every side of a conflict before believing you’re right, because more often than not you won’t be. Finally, I’ve learned that it’s important to give others second chances, even if another pony doesn’t believe they are deserving of one.”

“A lesson well learned. Tis a lesson that, unfortunately, many ponies never learn.” Luna said nodding with approval.

“Hmm maybe I should write this in a letter to the pr… heh heh… I mean Princess Celestia.” Twilight laughed nervously as she caught her mistake a bit too late.

“I am sure she would like to see it.” Luna said with a smile, ignoring Twilight’s error, “Now I believe you’ve earned a good night’s rest. Sleep well Twilight Sparkle.” Luna vanished as she finished speaking leaving Twilight to more peaceful dreams.

Twilight awoke the next morning with a vivid memory of her dream from the previous night. After breakfast she had Spike take a letter:

Dear Princess Celestia…