• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 8,280 Views, 575 Comments

Flying High - arglefumph



What if Twilight Sparkle was born a pegasus, not a unicorn? Would she still be able to help defeat Nightmare Moon with the Elements of Harmony?

  • ...
31
 575
 8,280

The Pegasus Punch

The library doors slammed open, and a soaking wet Trixie stepped inside.

"It is official: Discord cannot be fooled into surrendering," Trixie said. "I almost had him, but he turned the tree into a giant water balloon."

"Perfect. Just perfect," Twilight said angrily. She had tried every trick, in every storybook she had ever read, but to no avail. It just wasn't fair.

If we get out of this, I'm going to ask Princess Celestia to make it illegal for there to be problems that can't be solved by books, Twilight thought. She sighed and sat down. "That was the last plan, too."

"The last plan?" Trixie asked. "You said there were three more!"

"Yeah, but those are all variations of the Pegasus Punch trick," Twilight said. "It won't work unless we have another flyer, and Scootaloo still can't fly."

"Scootaloo?" Trixie asked, reluctant to get her daughter involved with Discord again. "She's part of the plan?"

"Right," Twilight said. "Scootaloo and I have to fly over Discord to distract him."

"Can't you use a different pegasus?"

"No, it has to be Scootaloo, because she's a princess. Not that it makes a difference. I'm starting to think we'll lose no matter what we do."

Trixie sat down at the table, equally frustrated. She had been relying on Princess Celestia to bail her out of the situation, but that had been the biggest failure of all. Instead of giving advice or a battle strategy, Celestia had sent Trixie a bunch of pithy letters about "believing in your friends" or some other such nonsense. Trixie threw the letters away almost instantly, muttering about "fortune cookie help" as she did so.

"Maybe we should start over from the beginning," Trixie said. "What weaknesses does Discord have?"

"None. He's all-powerful," Twilight said. "The Elements of Harmony can stop him temporarily, but you said they're not working."

"Correct," Trixie said. "The other ponies are not cooperating with us right now."

"Yeah, I noticed that all of my friends refuse to talk to me, ever since the Grand Galloping Gala. Thanks for that, Trix."

"Don't get snarky with me!" Trixie shot back. "It's not Trixie's fault that Discord put a spell on them!"

"Discord...put a spell on them? Twilight asked.

"Obviously. I don't know what spell, or how to undo it, but—"

As Trixie spoke, a forgotten memory bubbled up inside Twilight's head.

"Those are all lies, my faithful student," Nightmare Moon said, putting a guiding hoof on the smaller alicorn's back. "A thousand years ago, somepony used dark magic to prevent the Bearers from using the Elements of Harmony."

"Who?" Twilight asked.

"His name was Discord," Nightmare Moon said. "And I can teach you his method for turning ponies dull and gray.

Twilight gasped. "I know that spell!"

"You do?"

"I...I did," Twilight said. "Nightmare Moon taught it to me."

"Why didn't you mention this earlier?!" Trixie asked. "What is the counterspell?"

Twilight shook her head. "I don't remember. My whole memory of that time is shaky, and since I can't do magic, I don't need to—"

"Augh!" Trixie said. "You have to remember! The fate of the world depends on it!"

Twilight sat in thought for a moment. "I'm sorry," she said at last. "If I was a unicorn, maybe I could duplicate the magic. Unless you know a memory spell?"

"The memory spell I know doesn't work like that," Trixie said, shaking her head. "But since you mention it..." She bit her lip. "There is one way you could become a unicorn..."


Discord held court every day, from one o'clock to three. Ponies were invited to come talk to him at this time, about any issues they needed help with. This was supposed to be for the benefit of everyone in the kingdom, but in reality, Discord did this for his own amusement. He liked to call it "torture the public time".

When Twilight arrived at Discord's throne, the large dragonequus was having a philosophical argument with Derpy Hooves.

"No no no! You're wrong! I am the pure embodiment of chaos!" Discord said.

"But there's no such thing as pure chaos! Chaos only exists, in reference to order!" Derpy said, pounding one hoof against the other. "If there is no order, then things cannot be chaotically disordered."

"You're looking at it backwards! Chaos is the opposite of order!"

"Wrong! Take my eyes, for example," Derpy said, pointing at her face. "How do you know one of my eyes is off-center? It's because eyes should be aligned to a center. Nature is intrinsically ordered!"

"I've had enough of this," Discord muttered. He conked Derpy on the head with his crown, causing her eyes to roll around in wild circles. When they stopped spinning, both eyes were aligned perfectly.

"There, I fixed your eyes. Now leave me alone," Discord said.

"Thanks, Mr. Discord!" Derpy said. She flew away happily, not noticing that her voice had changed when her eyes were fixed.

"NEXT!" Discord called. Twilight Sparkle stood up and approached Discord's throne. He smiled, delighted. "Why, if it isn't the local librarian, Twilight Sparkle! Finally, she shows her face before me!"

Twilight stood resolute. "I heard you...you can change body parts."

"Ooo, yes, I'm very good at that!" Discord said. He piled up his body parts into a heap and burst forth, with all of his body parts rearranged. "Want me to put your tail on your head and your cutie mark on your knees?"

"No, that's...not what I mean. I'm talking about Rainbow Dash's wings and Rarity's horn. You took them away, then gave them back."

Discord inwardly chuckled. "And when you heard that, you came running to me, in hopes that I could make you a unicorn. Well, too bad, Sweetheart! I'm not doing it."

"Sweetheart?"

"Look, the truth is that you don't want to be a unicorn. I've seen Unicorn Twilight's life, and it is brutal."

"You...what? How could you see my life as a unicorn?"

"Like this." Discord created a widescreen TV in the middle of the air, and it started playing A Canterlot Wedding, Part 1.

Twilight was shocked by what she saw. The screen was showing video footage of her and her friends, having a picnic in a field. Instead of her normal pegasus self, Twilight was a unicorn...with Trixie's cutie mark! The picnic was interrupted when Spike ran up to the group with an important letter.

"Whoa, stop!" Twilight said. "Is this—how are you doing this?"

"It's exactly what I told you," Discord said, chowing down on some popcorn. "This is what your life would be like, if you were born as a unicorn. Pretty exciting, right?"

"This—this can't be real. It must be a fake!" Twilight tapped on the corner of the screen. "This weird thingy proves it!"

"That's the Hub Logo," Discord said. "My greatest nemesis. Now just be quiet and watch the show, okay? It'll answer all your questions."

The look into an alternate universe was disorienting, to say the least. Apparently, Unicorn Twilight never told anypony about her big brother, who was the Captain of the Royal Guard in this world. He was scheduled to marry his lifelong sweetheart, Princess Cadance, who was acting increasingly mean and nasty. Nopony believed Unicorn Twilight's true accusations, and so she was banished to a green fiery death.

After that, a series of names flashed on the screen while an upbeat song played.

"What was that?!" Twilight asked, freaking out slightly. "What did Cadance do to me? Why don't my friends believe me?"

"They're breaking character, in order to provide dramatic tension. Happens all the time," Discord said. "Now hold your horses, Part Two is coming up next."

"What are all these names?" Twilight asked.

"Trust me. You don't want to know."

Not long after, the video continued. The evil Princess Cadance was really Queen Chrysalis, an evil villain who revealed her identity to Unicorn Twilight for unknown reasons. Twilight and the real Princess Cadance escaped from a mine maze, just in time to interrupt the fake wedding. Queen Chrysalis reverted to her true form and attacked Princess Celestia, knocking her unconscious in one hit.

Then Queen Chrysalis attacked Princess Celestia, knocking her unconscious in one hit.

Then Queen Chrysalis attacked Princess Celestia, knocking her unconscious in one hit.

"Could you stop replaying that section?" Twilight asked Discord.

"Sorry, sorry! It's my favorite part!" he said. "After the battle, everything goes downhill."

Unicorn Twilight and her friends battled to reach the Elements of Harmony, but lost. Queen Chrysalis captured them, but her evil plans were foiled when she gave the ponies free rein of the palace, then stood around and did nothing to prevent them from attacking her. The real wedding took place, followed by a musical number.

Twilight stood still for a moment, trying to absorb everything she had just seen. Finally, she summarized it in one sentence: "That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen."

"You're welcome," Discord said graciously.

Twilight shook her head. "And...why did you feel the need to show me this?"

"It's a cautionary tale," Discord said. "That's what your life will be like, if I make you a unicorn. Is it really worth it?"

"I don't want to be a unicorn!" Twilight said. "I'm tired of ponies thinking I'm some kind of unicorn-obsessed weirdo!"

"Riiight," Discord said. "So if you don't want a horn, what body parts do you want to have? Male body parts?"

"Ew! No! I want a pair of wings!"

"Usually, I'm the one who says ridiculous things," Discord commented. "Why would you want wings? You already have a working pair."

"They're not for me. They're for Scootaloo."

"Oh. Oh!" Discord said. "You want me to fix Scootaloo's wings? What a touching sentiment!"

Twilight smiled slightly, glad that the conversation had finally gotten on track. "She deserves to fly as much as anypony else. The doctors can't make her primary feathers grow in, but I'm sure that you can."

"Yes, I certainly can," Discord agreed. "And since I'm such a nice fellow, I'll do this for free! One flying Scootaloo, coming right up!"

Discord waggled his fingers and ran them along Twilight's wings. With a musical lilt and a flash of light, Twilight's wings disappeared. She immediately fell over, unused to her new weight distribution.

"What did you do?!" Twilight screamed.

Discord grinned and gave Twilight a thumbs-up. "I gave Scootaloo a working set of wings, in exchange for yours! Nice, right?"

"You made me an Earth pony?!" Twilight gasped. "Give me my wings back! NOW!"

"No can do, Twilight! That was a one-time, limited offer!" Discord said. "After all, if both you and Scootaloo can fly, you might try the Pegasus Punch trick on me!"

"You—but that—how did you know I was—?" Twilight gaped at Discord.

"Oh, did I not mention? I was spying on you in the library, when you made your plans to defeat me!" Discord laughed. "I've just been messing with you the entire time!"

Twilight cried and ran away, while Discord chuckled and made note of it in his book of successful schemes.


At first glance, it looked like Twilight was running back to the library, but that was not the case. Without losing any speed, she made a few unexpected turns and presently arrived at Zecora's hut, outside of town.

This was the tricky part of her plan, which depended on being a tad deceptive. She had no idea how much Discord-free time she had bought, but she knew she had to act quickly.

Twilight gave the secret knock on the hut's door. "Is it safe to enter?" she asked.

"Everything is clear. You can come in here," Zecora responded from inside.

"Good. Discord thinks I'm at home, crying my eyes out, so we have a little bit of time to—yuck!" First, Twilight tried opening the door with her mouth, the Earth pony way. This resulted in a nasty taste on her tongue. She then tried to grip the knob with her teeth, but all she got for her trouble was sore teeth.

"Is everything okay?"

"No. Things...didn't go as planned," Twilight said.

The door to the hut opened. Zecora stepped outside, along with the ace in Twilight's plan: Princess Cadance. With the help of Spike's fire breath, Cadance had been brought to Ponyville as a replacement for Scootaloo for the Pegasus Punch trick.

"Your wings!" Cadance gasped.

"It seems Twilight has lost the power of flight!"

Twilight stared a bit at Cadance, remembering the odd show that Discord had put on. Why would Unicorn Twilight have a princess for a foalsitter, anyway? The episode didn't explain why royalty would watch after random foals. Maybe Cadance needed money?

"What happened?" Cadance asked.

Twilight shook her head, putting her thoughts aside. "Discord figured out about the flying trick somehow, so he stole my wings," she said. "I'm sorry. I guess now it'll have to be you and Scootaloo who do the Pegasus Punch, not me."

"Hmmm..." Princess Cadance said, walking around Twilight. "This is bad, really bad. Is there any way to turn you back to normal?"

"Not unless you know how to bring back magically-vanished body parts," Twilight said.

Cadance's eyes lit up. "I know a restoring spell like that! I used it on Scootaloo when she arrived in Manehattan, remember? It brought back her missing cutie mark."

"That sounds like a plan. You should use it, if you can," Zecora advised.

"I remember that," Twilight said, having been told all about Scootaloo's trip multiple times. "But I don't think that'll work. Discord's magic is very powerful. Not to say you're weak or anything, but—"

"It can't hurt to try," Cadance said. Her horn started glowing softly.

Seeing as she didn't have a choice, Twilight gave in. "Fine, do the spell," she said. "How long will it take?"

"No more than ten seconds," Cadance said. "Please stand still."

Cadance focused the spell on Twilight's body. The princess didn't know it, but the restoration spell was a variation of the spell that Discord used. It had originally been created to make certain body parts temporarily disappear and reappear, for medical reasons. Since the invention of the spell, medical amputation in Equestria had been reduced by 95%.

The spell did its job perfectly. It travelled along Twilight's sides, and it recognized the fact that she was missing her wings. The magic soaked into her skin, and in a few seconds, wings quickly sprouted from Twilight's sides, eliciting a little gasp of pain from the lavender pony's mouth.

The pink glow of the magic moved along from Twilight's sides and gathered at her forehead. Too late, Cadance remembered that wings weren't the only magical body part of Twilight's that had disappeared.

The magic went into Twilight's forehead. With a sound like a cork popping, the magic drew out the horn she had once had, for about a week. Twilight instinctively reared on her hind legs and spread her wings wide in fear.

When her hooves landed back on the ground, Twilight was once again an alicorn. She closed her eyes and scrunched her face in pain, as her magical memories came back to her. She immediately searched for the memory that they needed, the one she had been hoping to gain, the one on how to undo Discord's graying curse.

...She was disappointed by the result.

Twilight's eyes opened. "A memory spell? That's all you need to undo Discord's curse? What a ridic—!"

A huge flash of light shone, engulfing Twilight. There was the sound of an explosion, and when the light disappeared, Twilight was gone. A crater on the ground, in the shape of Twilight's book-shaped cutie mark, was the only sign that she had ever been there.

"What just happened?" Zecora gasped, so startled that she forgot to rhyme.

"I don't know!" Cadance said. "I cast the spell on her, and then she vanished! I didn't mean to do that—whatever I did!"

Discord's body sprouted from the ground, in a large spiral. Naturally, he had felt the huge burst of magic, and he came to investigate. His eyes scanned the area cautiously, and they fell upon Princess Cadance, standing next to a crater.

"Ahhh! Princess Cadance!" Discord said. "Thought you could use a teleportation spell to sneak into town without my knowledge?"

"You must be Discord," Cadance said.

"At your disservice, Mademoiselle," he said.


"—ulous what?" Twilight asked. "Where am I?"

She looked at her surroundings. She was standing inside some sort of invisible, light blue tube. Surrounding the tube were the dark expanses of space, with stars that could be seen far in the distance. Space smoke—was that something which existed?—lazily floated past the outside of the tube.

An annoyed voice interrupted Twilight's wondering. "Diamond Tiara, if that's you again, I am not making you a princess! I don't care that Discord made you an alicorn!"

Twilight recognized the speaker. "Princess Celestia? Is that you?"

Twilight heard hoofsteps, then she saw Princess Celestia appear in what must have been the tube's entrance. "Twilight? What are you doing here?"

"I don't know! I was in the forest, and then, bam! I'm here in...where are we?"

Celestia walked towards Twilight. "This is the Princess Portal," she said. "When ponies perform great deeds, they are transported here in order to assume their—your horn!"

Twilight reached a hoof to her forehead and rubbed her new horn. "Oh, heh...I kind of tricked Princess Cadance into casting a restoration spell on me..."

"Luna! LUUUNA!"

A head in hair curlers poked through the portal entrance. "Silence, Sister! It is the time of sleep!"

"We have an emergency," Celestia said.

Princess Luna was reluctant at first, but when she learned that Twilight had become an alicorn again, she immediately ran to help. For a few moments, the three alicorns talked over each other, getting nowhere, until Princess Celestia put her hoof down.

"Please, explain from the beginning," she requested.

And so, Twilight did. She talked about her work with Trixie, and the plans to defeat Discord. She started out with a series of simple, easily-stopped attempts to defeat Discord, which not only let her get measure of her opponent, but gave Discord a sense of overconfidence.

"The only way to stop him is to let him think he's won," Twilight said. "So I purposely let him foil my plan today. That way, he won't see it coming when we use the Pegasus Punch."

There were a number of ways things could have gone wrong, which is why Twilight had asked Cadance to serve as an emergency replacement. When Discord took away Twilight's wings, it gave her the idea of using the restoration spell to bring them back. Bringing back her horn was an added bonus, which Twilight had considered possible, but thought unlikely.

"And since I confirmed a memory spell will undo Discord's curse, I'm 90% sure either Zecora or Princess Cadance will pass that information along to Trixie," Twilight said, concluding her explanation. "She'll revive the Elements of Harmony, and they can be used on Discord while the pegasi distract him. He'll never see it coming, and since I'm the only pony who knows all the details, nopony can accidentally reveal the plan to him."

"Your plan is a good one, Twilight," Celestia said. "I am very proud of you, my student."

"No," said a firm voice.

"Excuse me, Luna?" Celestia asked.

"I do not believe you deserve to be Twilight's mentor," Luna said. "You have proven yourself unworthy of the post."

"Why, what gives you that idea?" Celestia asked.

"I have only been here for a month, but that is long enough to know that you are extremely negligent towards Twilight," Luna said. "How many times have you contacted her since the Summer Sun Celebration?"

"I sent her the letter the week before the Young Fliers Competition," Celestia said.

"Exactly," Luna said, as screens appeared on the tunnel walls, showing Celestia's past actions. "You contacted her once, and that was after being put under pressure. Do you not understand how your inattentiveness has brought ruin upon thy kingdom? We both know you did not foresee my transformation into Nightmare Moon. You did not foresee Twilight's descent into madness. And most recently, you did not foresee Discord's return!"

Twilight didn't know how to react. She felt almost like she was doing something wrong, like outsiders were not allowed to watch the two royal sisters argue.

Celestia closed her eyes. "It is true that certain things have been...overlooked. The truth is that Twilight has never been a direct student of mine, because I run a school for gifted unicorns, and she is a pegasus. But this does not mean I treat her as a lesser. I am very concerned for Twilight's well-being."

"As am I," Luna said. "Therefore, I request that Twilight become my student."

"What?" Twilight and Celestia asked simultaneously.

Princess Luna nodded gravely. Taking Twilight as her student was an idea she had considered for some time now. "I will take full responsibility for Twilight, since you are too busy to do so. Is that not meet? I can train her in the ways of alicorn magic."

Celestia looked thoughtful. "That...could work. There would be backlash, of course, but that is a good solution for handling a new alicorn. What do you think, Twilight?"

"I...I'm not sure," Twilight said. "You were my first real friend, outside of my family...but I also like Princess Luna."

"I'm not going to stop being your friend, just because you have a new teacher," Celestia smiled. Then she frowned a bit. "But Luna is right. I have not been as good of a friend to you as I should have, and for that, I apologize."

"I forgive you," Twilight said, as she hugged Celestia. She accidentally poked Celestia in the chest with her new horn, but Celestia was kind enough not to say anything.

"Then it is settled!" Princess Luna said. "Your studies as my pupil begin now!"

"Okay!" Twilight said. She loved learning new things. "What do I do?"

"Your first mission is to defeat Discord," Luna ordered. "Do that, and we'll crown you as Equestria's newest princess. I believe that is an act worthy of public coronation, is it not?"

"Certainly," Celestia said. "I hope for your success, Twilight."

"Thank you," Twilight said politely.

For a moment, nopony said anything.

"Um...how do I go back to Equestria?" Twilight asked.

"Just walk in that direction, and you'll be transported back to Ponyville," Celestia said, pointing.

"Okay, then..." Twilight said, a little reluctantly. When she was almost at the portal entrance, she turned her head backwards to look at the two sisters, who were whispering quietly. "Oh, and changelings. They're going to attack Canterlot on April 12th. Just so you know."


An Hour Later...

Discord had turned Princess Cadance into a lovebird, and was busy locking her inside her cage. "Who's a pretty little birdy? Who's a pretty little birdy?" he cooed.

Cadance squawked back at him, and it is a good thing she could not talk normally, because otherwise I would have to censor it.

"Leave her alone, you big bully!" a voice called.

Discord slither-flipped around to see Scootaloo, standing on the ground. Scootaloo looked somewhat odd with Twilight's full-sized purple wings.

"Ooo, it's the Brutal-loo, the Bully Basher!" Discord said. "Come to try to stop me again? Didn't you learn when I turned your marbles into bowling balls?"

"I'm a princess, and you will treat me with respect!" Scootaloo said. She unfolded her wings and flew up to Discord's height. "Got it?"

Discord was not impressed by Scootaloo's ability to fly. "You're still a chicken in desperate need of a manecut. Whatcha gonna do to stop me, try a Pegasus Punch with your precious big sister?" he mocked. "Twilight has been permanently grounded, and don't even think about Cadance—"

"I'm right here!" Twilight shouted. She flew out from behind a pink cloud and hovered in midair, next to Scootaloo.

Discord gasped at seeing Twilight flying. "Ali—ali—it's not—I turned you into an Earth pony! An alicorn is the exact opposite of that!"

While he was distracted, Trixie and the newly-restored Elements of Harmony got into formation behind Discord and attacked. Discord turned to dodge, but he was too late; the rainbow blast hit him on the side of his scaly body.

"How?" Discord demanded, as his body slowly turned to stone. "How did you do this? I did everything perfectly!"

"Oh, did I not mention? I knew you were spying on me in the library," Twilight said, imitating Discord. "And I lied about what my plans were. So sorry."

"NOOOOO!" Discord cried, as the top half of his body solidified. "Curse you, Elements of Harmony! Curse you, Twilicorn! Curse you, M. A. Larson!"

The effects of Discord's magic fizzled instantly. Houses disappeared, while others reappeared. The sky became its normal color, and the clouds turned white. Scootaloo's wings returned to normal, which she wasn't expecting, and she began to fall down.

"Augh!" she cried. She flapped her wings twice and tried to go into a swoop, but she crashed into the Discord statue. It tilted over and was dashed to pieces against the ground.