• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 8,284 Views, 575 Comments

Flying High - arglefumph



What if Twilight Sparkle was born a pegasus, not a unicorn? Would she still be able to help defeat Nightmare Moon with the Elements of Harmony?

  • ...
31
 575
 8,284

The Chapter with a Montage

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I apologize for sending you this letter unexpectedly, but it has just come to my attention that you attacked another pony today. This is not the first complaint I have received about your behavior in the past week, and I cannot—that is to say, I refuse to—believe these lies that are being told about you, my faithful friend and sometime student.

I must admit, I am concerned that ponies are still complaining about you. I would have expected the ponies in Ponyville to be more forgiving. I have responded to all of the complaints myself, assuring the ponies that there is nothing to worry about. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

The letter I received mentioned that you are going to be participating in the Young Fliers Competition next Friday. I was invited to oversee this event. Originally, I was going to turn down the request, but I believe I shall attend now. I look forward to seeing the routine that you have prepared.

Your friend,
Princess Celestia


Twilight practically broke down the doors to Rainbow Dash's house, as she went to confront her. "You told Princess Celestia about me?!"

"Oh, hey, Twilight..." Rainbow Dash said.

"I can't believe you did that, Rainbow! Now Princess Celestia has decided she's going to be judge at the Young Fliers Competition!"

"She is? Cool!"

"No, not cool!" Twilight said, stamping her hoof. "She's, like, the harshest grader ever! I worked at her university, remember? You should have heard the horror stories the students told! She once failed a student for misspelling her name!"

Most of the rumors about Celestia's tough grading were false, but that particular story was true. Princess Celestia gave Sunset Shimmer a failing grade on an exam, after Sunset incorrectly spelled "Celestia" at the top of the test. That's because, instead of the princess' name, Sunset had written...well, let's just say it was a very inappropriate word.

"Whoa. That's rough."

"And now she's going to be the judge at the competition, thanks to you!" Twilight said, snapping her jaws close to Rainbow's snout. "I was going to apologize for hurting you, but now I'm not so sure I want to!"

"You—what? But I was going to apologize!"

"You were?" Twilight asked, taking a step backwards. "But...but I was going to do it first!"

Rainbow Dash shook her head. "Nuh uh! I'm way sorrier than you are!"

"No, you'll be sorry, when I beat you at the Young Fliers Competition!"

"Ha!" Rainbow Dash said, gesturing to her display case, which has a trophy and some ribbons. "These are all awards I got from the Junior Speedsters. Have you ever been in a flying competition before?"

"Well, no...but I won Best Flier in my class, three years in a row!"

"Wait. Didn't you say that you went to a unicorn school?"

"So? It still counts!" Twilight said.

Rainbow Dash shook her head. "You have no idea what you're up against, Twilight. I was born and raised in Cloudsdale, and the winner gets to spend time with the Wonderbolts. There's no way I'm losing this competition."

"If you're so confident, how about a new challenge, then? If I get placed before you in the competition, you have to read the entire Daring Do series!"

"Ugh, books again? Fine! But if I win, you have to do my job for a week!"

"Fine! Hope you like reading!"

"Ha! Hope you like clearing clouds!"

The two pegasi glared at each other for a moment.

"...Are we still friends? I'm not sure."

"...Me neither."


That night, Twilight Sparkle had a vivid nightmare.

Shining Armor dragged a chained Twilight to Princess Celestia's throne room. All of her former friends were there, wearing ugly looks and the Elements of Harmony.

"You've! Turned! EVIL!" Rarity said.

"Now we gotta kill you!" Pinkie Pie said.

"NO!" Twilight cried.

"You were never our friend! We only pretended to like you!" Applejack said.

"You could never take my place, anyway!" Trixie said.

"But—but I didn't do anything wrong! I haven't—Scootaloo!"

Scootaloo sidled up to Rainbow Dash. "You're not my sister! Rainbow Dash is my sister now!"

"You made the right choice, Scoots," Rainbow Dash said.

"We didn't kill you last time we used the Elements of Harmony on you," Trixie said. "We won't make that mistake again."

"Let's blast this [bad word] all the way to Tartarus!" Fluttershy screamed.

"No! Somepony help me! Shining Armor! Princess!"

"There, there, Twilight," Princess Celestia said from her throne. "I will make sure everything goes better for you...on the MOOOOOOOOON!"

Twilight curled up into a ball and cried, waiting for the attack, but after a moment of silence, nothing happened.

"Is this what you fear most, Twilight Sparkle?" a voice asked.

Twilight looked up. Everypony in the throne room was frozen in place, except for a dark blue alicorn who was walking forward.

"Princess Luna? How are you—is this a dream?"

Luna nodded. "It is. As the Princess of the Night, it is my duty to watch over ponies' dreams. I must say, your nightmare is encouraging."

"Encouraging? How could you possibly say that?!" Twilight said. "This—this is horrible."

"My little pony, if your greatest fear is turning evil and losing your friends, that means you are still good," Luna said. "But let us clean up before speaking." Her horn glowed, and everypony in the throne room disappeared, besides for Twilight and Luna.

"I...I don't understand," Twilight said. "Why are you here?"

"I received your letter today, and I consequently desired to speak with you about it," Princess Luna said. "I have a feeling there is a lot we can discuss, Twilight Sparkle."

"Oh," Twilight said. She had expected Luna to write a letter in response, not visit her in her dreams. That was kind of creepy, now that Twilight thought about it.

Luna sat down on the throne. "You asked if anypony has been avoiding me lately. The answer is 'yes'. You do not know this, but yours is the first letter I have received since we returned."

"You mean nopony has come to see you in the past two weeks?"

"Practically nopony. I have been gone for so long, and I..." Luna paused. "I don't usually contact strangers like this, but I believe you are the only pony who can understand my situation. Do you truly not remember anything?"

"Everything that happened after I put on the Alicorn Amulet is a complete blank," Twilight said. "I have vague flashes of fighting Princess Celestia, but that's it."

"I have no memories, either," Luna said. "Part of me wishes I did, but...I am glad I do not know the full extent of the evil I wrought."

"Me, too," Twilight said. "I mean, I promised to be Scootaloo's big sister during that time, and...I don't remember it at all."

"It is kind of you to look out for the young princess," Princess Luna said. "Just as it was kind of you to contact me. From the testimony of my sister and my own experience, I can tell you are a good pony, Twilight Sparkle. You must remember that, even when ponies are accusing you of malfeasance."

Twilight nodded. Princess Luna had an odd way of speaking, but she seemed nice enough. "Thanks, but how do I convince other ponies that they don't have to be scared of me?"

"Pah! That is a matter of the utmost simplicity!" Luna said. "I shall write a letter of introduction for you, confirming your upstanding moral integrity!"

"...Princess Luna?"

"Yes?"

"Ponies haven't used letters of introduction in hundreds of years."

"What?" Luna asked. "Letters of introduction have become outdated, too? First the royal we, now letters of introduction—what is next, pray tell? Peacock hunting?"

Twilight didn't comment. "Maybe I can help you get up to date with modern society," she offered.


Note from Discord: I highly recommend listening to an epic 1980's song while reading the following training montage.


Saturday

Rainbow Dash laid on her back, with her wings spread wide. She grunted and pushed her wings against the ground, struggling to support her weight. These wing push-ups, or wing-ups, were an exercise Rainbow Dash came up with on her own.

They increased wing strength by 20%, by her reckoning. They also hurt like the dickens, but no pain, no gain, as her father used to say.

I'm gonna beat Twilight. She thinks she's best pegasus in town, just because she knows the princess, but I'm gonna show my friend who—uh, I mean, I'm gonna show her who's boss. They don't call me Thunderbutt for nothing!

...Man, that's lame. I gotta get a cooler nickname. Rainbow Blast? The Flying Thunder? No, the Element of Awesomeness!


Sunday

"Why do you worry about the competition?" Luna asked.

"I'm not a special flyer like Rainbow Dash is," Twilight said. "I mean, she once did a Sonic Rainboom!"

"In truth? I thought only alicorns could perform that feat."

"Alicorns?"

Luna smiled. "My sister and I were the first ponies to discover the Sonic Rainboom. Nopony else could do it. We figured it was because we have larger wings than most pegasi."

Twilight took a moment to think about the physics behind this. In theory, the power of larger wings would be counterbalanced by greater wind resistance. Maybe it worked because alicorns had the increased stamina of an Earth pony.

"Hey, do you think you can teach me how to do a Sonic Rainboom?" Twilight asked.


Monday

It had been a very busy weekend, for the students at Ponyville Elementary. Scooterloo, Scutealoo, Squeetaloo and Skeeterloo all got their cutie marks, and they were happy as can be. Scootaloo was less happy than they, feeling like the entire scenario was some sort of cosmic joke on her.

From across the playground, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle waved at Scootaloo. "Scootaloo!" they called. "Come here!"

Scootaloo took a step forward, then though better of it.

I'm not falling for this again, she thought. They're just calling for another filly whose name sounds like mine. Scootaloo turned around.

"Is she ignoring us?" Applebloom asked.

"Maybe she didn't hear us..." Sweetie Belle said.


Tuesday

Rainbow Dash collapsed on the ground. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't seem to do it. The Sonic Rainboom was always just beyond her grasp.

Maybe Twilight was right. I can't do a Sonic Rainboom anymore. It was just a one-time thing.

No, that's wrong! I'm not an old gray mare yet! I've got a bright future ahead of me! I'll win this competition and join the Wonderbolts...

Still, it stinks that I did my best flying move before I got my cutie mark.

And now I have to impress the harshest judge ever. Maybe I need a different routine. Something new that will really impress the princess!


Wednesday

"You're the local expert on animals," Trixie said. "I thought you could explain it best."

"Oh," Fluttershy said. "Well...usually, if a pony owns a pet bird, she'll cut its primary feathers. That way, the bird won't be able to fly away."

"But the bird can still fly without its primary feathers?"

"Sometimes," Fluttershy said. "It depends on the bird's abilities and how quickly its feathers grow back."

"What if its feathers never grow back?" Trixie asked. "The doctor said Scootaloo never—I mean, what if the bird has never had primary feathers?"

"Um...in that case...it'd be really difficult for the bird to learn how to fly. I think cutting a bird's wings is cruel, so I never do it to my birds, ever."


Thursday

"Hold a moment, Sister," Luna said. "Twilight Sparkle tells me that you have not responded to the letter she sent last week."

"You've been in contact with her?"

"I visited her in her dreams last night. Why have you not responded to her letter?"

"That was nice of you. I'm glad to see you're making new friends," Celestia said. "As for your question, I haven't responded yet because I plan on seeing Twilight at the Young Fliers Competition tomorrow."

"Do you not think it wise to contact her more than once a week?" Luna questioned.

"Twilight is an independent pony. The last thing she wants is me to hover over her constantly," Celestia said. She believed Twilight did her best work when left alone, as proven by Twilight's success in finding the Elements of Harmony.

"I do not wish to sound impudent, but your judgment on these matters in the past has been less than adequate. Perhaps if you took a more hooves-on approach..."

"There is no need to change my leadership style," Celestia said. "Now that you're here to help me, I'm sure that the leadership of our country will be greatly improved."

Luna stared at her sister, as Celestia left the room, humming to herself.


Friday

Rainbow Dash frowned as she looked at the archway entrance. Now that she was actually at the competition, things seemed a little intimidating. Not that she was nervous or anything, she just...

That was when a group of three pegasi landed nearby. They were the three pegasi that Rainbow Dash hoped to never see again: Dumbbell, Hoops and Score.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" Dumbbell said.

"It's our old friend, Rainbow Crash!"

"Get kicked outta any flight schools lately?" Hoops asked.

The three of them laughed uproariously.

"I didn't get kicked out," Rainbow Dash said. "I left because—"

"—You couldn't handle a real flight school! That's why you were with the Junior Speedsters!"

"Where's your lameo friend, Fluttershy? Were her wings too weak to fly up here?"

"Look, you jerks!" Rainbow Dash said. "I'm not in the mood to put up with your crap right now, so if you don't leave I'm going to rip off your—"

"Hey, you three!" an angry voice said. "This area is for contestants only!"

The stallions looked towards the entranceway, where Twilight Sparkle was standing. She was scowling in their general direction.

"Ha, whatever. We gotta get going anyway," Dumbbell said.

"Can't wait to see you fail the competition, Rainbow Crash!"

The three of them flew away, and Rainbow Dash looked anywhere, besides for Twilight's face. Twilight paused before stepping forward.

"Hello, Rainbow."

"Hey, Twilight..."

"Who were they?"

"Just a couple of bullies from my old school," Rainbow said. "Forget about them. They're jerks. So...this is where we get our numbers?"

"Yes, just inside this building," Twilight said.

The two of them looked at each other uncomfortably. Twilight gulped, as she remembered her conversation with Princess Luna, the night before.

"Do you know what happened to my best friends? Snowdrop, Firefly, Sweet Berry? I was hoping to see them again, but...they...they've all been dead for hundreds of years."

"Princess?"

"It is...quite unpleasant to lose your friends. I beg you. Do not let this argument between yourself and Rainbow become an uncrossable gap between the two of you."

Twilight opened her mouth to apologize, but a voice interrupted them. "Twilight! We missed you!"

"Huh?" Twilight asked. She turned around to see Pinkie Pie, waving from what appeared to be a large balloon. Pinkie stood on the edge of the balloon basket, then jumped forward.

"Pinkie, NO!" Twilight shouted. She rushed forward, with Rainbow Dash at her side. Twilight dove and caught Pinkie in her arms before the pink pony.

Pinkie burst into giggles. "Aw, you tried to save me! That's so nice of you!"

"Don't worry, Twilight!" Scootaloo said, poking her head out of the balloon basket. "We're all safe! See?"

Scootaloo left the basket, followed by all of Twilight and Rainbow Dash's friends from Ponyville. Despite the fact that they weren't pegasi, they seemed to have no problem walking on top of clouds.

"You...how are you doing that?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Trixie adjusted her hat. "I found a spell which allows unicorns and Earth ponies to walk on clouds for a day. Everypony wanted to watch the competition, so I cast it on all of us. It was easier than using a wings-growing spell."

"There's a spell to grow wings?"

"Yes, but things didn't work well with the first test subject."

"Who was your test subject?"

Trixie gestured to the left. Twilight followed the gesture, where she saw something she never expected to see.

"YAAAAHOOO!" Big Macintosh shouted, fluttering his large butterfly wings. "THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!"

Applejack hid her face behind her hat. "If anypony asks, I don't know him."

"You came all this way to watch us compete?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Of course we did! You two are best fliers ever!" Scootaloo said.

"We all wanted to show our support," Applejack said.

"Yes, we're worried about you two," Rarity said. "Er, worried about how you'll do in the competition, that is!"

"Are they still not talking to each other?" Pinkie whispered. "Because that's dumb!"

"Well, um...maybe they're just focused on the competition," Fluttershy said.