• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 8,269 Views, 575 Comments

Flying High - arglefumph



What if Twilight Sparkle was born a pegasus, not a unicorn? Would she still be able to help defeat Nightmare Moon with the Elements of Harmony?

  • ...
31
 575
 8,269

A Great Surprise

Twilight Sparkle frowned, as she reread the letter from Princess Celestia.

No. I told you in my last letter that you cannot stay. Your mission in Ponyville is now over. You must return to Canterlot.

Before she knew it, she was back in the hateful city of Canterlot. Back with her mean boss, with the unicorn students who openly disrespected her, and back with...her family.

"I don't understand it," Shining Armor said. "She had a chance to be a hero. She could have saved the world! Why did she give up?"

"She's just a pegasus," Twilight's mother said. "What did you expect?"

Twilight's father sighed. "I love Twilight, but...sometimes, I wish we had a unicorn. Life would have been so much better for her. As it is, she's just a failure."

Failure.

I wish we had a unicorn.

Failure.

Only a unicorn can wield the Element of Magic.

You cannot stay in Ponyville. I forbid it. I am your Princess, and you must obey, you miserable little wretch.

Failure.


"Augh!" Twilight groaned as she woke up. Putting her hoof on her chest, she took a deep breath, trying to calm herself.

"Another nightmare?" Spike asked.

"Yeah..." Twilight said, rubbing her eyes. This time, she had fallen asleep at one of the desks at the library, when she was supposed to be watching over Spike and Scootaloo. "I haven't been able to sleep, ever since we got the Elements of Harmony."

"But that was, like, five days ago! Is it because Nightmare Moon—?" Scootaloo began to say.

Twilight cut Scootaloo off; she hadn't told anypony about Nightmare Moon's offer. "I'm sure it's just because of stress," Twilight said. She gave a weak chuckle. "After all, I need to find three new Elements of Harmony!"

"I'm sorry I can't be the Element of Honesty," Scootaloo said.

"It's not your fault," Twilight said. "Besides, none of the Elements worked for me or Cheerilee, either. I guess not everypony can use them."

"Too bad they don't come with an instruction manual," Spike said. "Or labels."

"Labels?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah," Spike said. He gestured towards the glass display case, containing the three Elements of the Harmony they had, along with the two gray spheres they had collected. "I mean, how are you supposed to know which element is which?"

"Well, they match the ponies' cutie marks," Twilight said.

"Yeah, but the cutie marks have nothing to do with the Elements," Spike said. "A diamond for loyalty? An apple for generosity? They don't really fit well."

"In other words, if I've got any the Elements mixed up, there's no way for me to know it," Twilight said. She dropped her sleepy head on the desk in front of her. "Great, Spike. Just great. That's a brand new disaster I never thought of."

"Sorry..." Spike said.

"Yeah, well..." Twilight yawned. "Presuming I haven't made any mistakes, I still need to find the Elements of Kindness, Honesty and Magic. Too bad I have no idea where to start looking."

"What about the magician who's coming to town?" Scootaloo suggested.

"A magician in Ponyville?" Twilight asked.

"Snips and Snails were talking about it all during school today," Spike said. "There's some big magician who's putting on a show tonight."

"The Great and Powerful...um...Trucy," Scootaloo said.

"Trixie," Spike corrected. "You know...Trixie is the name of the pony who hatched me from my egg."

"I remember her," Twilight Sparkle said. "She was Princess Celestia's student before I was."

Scootaloo looked at Spike. "A pony hatched you from an egg?" she asked.

"It was a test to get into Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns," Twilight explained. "Apparently, Trixie was the only who could do it. The Princess made her a student, right then and there."

"Really?" Scootaloo asked. "What happened to her?"

Twilight shrugged. "I dunno. She decided to stop going to school, I guess. I only met her the one time, and that was over ten years ago."

"Can we go see her?" Scootaloo asked.

"I doubt it's the same pony," Twilight said. She yawned again. "But I'll take you to see her show, if you two can finish your math homework in time."

"Awww..." Scootaloo said. "Can't we have another flying lesson, instead? Math is boring!"

"Have you been doing the wing exercises that Rainbow Dash showed you?" Twilight asked.

"Um...I forgot," Scootaloo said, sheepishly.

"And that's why you aren't having flying lessons," Twilight said. "You can't fly if you don't train your wings properly. Now go back to doing your math."

Scootaloo grumbled about Twilight being a boring, bossy-face, but she did her homework anyway.


A small stage had been set up in the town square, and by the time Twilight arrived with Scootaloo and Spike, a small crowd of ponies was already there. The three of them were pushing their way through the crowd when the show started.

"Citizens of Ponyville!" a voice shouted. "Prepare to witness the most amazing acts of magic, ever seen by pony eyes!"

The curtains flew open, revealing a blue mare with purple clothing. She stood up on her hind legs and made fireworks appear. "I am the Great and Powerful TRIXIE!" she said, while some of the ponies applauded.

"You know, I think it is the same Trixie," Twilight said.

Spike squinted at Trixie, up on the stage. "You could be right!" he said.

"Where?" Scootaloo said, jumping up. "I can't see!"

"Do you need me to hold you up?" Twilight asked.

"No!" Scootaloo said. She ducked down under Twilight's stomach and crawled forward, so she could see the view from in front of Twilight.

Scootaloo let out a huge gasp, as she instantly recognized the pony onstage. Trixie was older, and now she was wearing a hat and cape, but there was no mistaking it. She was the pony Scootaloo saw almost every night, before going to bed.

"What is it?" Twilight asked, alarmed. She looked down at the filly in front of her.

"That's my mom!" Scootaloo said.

"WHAT?" Twilight shouted.

"That's right!" Trixie said. "The Great and Powerful—"

"Mom!" Scootaloo shouted. She jumped forward and flew—literally flew—onstage, with three flaps of her wings. True, it was only a distance of six feet and a height of four feet, but it was still impressive for her first flight.

Trixie's jaw dropped. "Scootaloo?" she asked.

"Mom, you came back for me!" Scootaloo said, hugging Trixie.

Tears filled Trixie's eyes. "Scootaloo!" she said.


A half hour later, a furious Twilight Sparkle paced back and forth through her living room.

"This is ridiculous," Twilight said. "Scootaloo is an orphan! Her parents are dead!"

"Not necessarily," Rarity said, from the couch, where she was sitting with Shining Armor. "They could have put her up for adoption."

"That's a nice way of saying Trixie abandoned her baby," Twilight said harshly. "Just like how she abandoned Spike, after she hatched him! Gee, what a great track record she has! Let's put her back in Scootaloo's life, so she can abandon a foal again. Third time's the charm!"

"Did she act like this when you were growing up?" Rarity whispered to Shining Armor.

"Not very often," Shining Armor responded. "She only gets like this when she's really, really upset."

"And now she's kicked me out of my own kitchen! All because she needs privacy, to talk with her precious, long-lost child. Ha! If Scootaloo was precious to her at all, she never would have become long-lost!"

"Twiley, you need to calm down," Shining Armor said.

"I am not going to let that mare ruin Scootaloo's life again!" Twilight said, stomping her hoof on the ground. "I have to find a way to keep her away from Scootaloo!"

"You can't do that," Shining Armor said. "I mean, she is Scootaloo's mother..."

"She gave up her rights to Scootaloo when she abandoned her!" Twilight said. "I don't care what I have to do to protect Scootaloo! I'll adopt Scootaloo myself, if that's what it takes!"

"Do you really want to be a single mother?" Rarity asked.

"Well...no," Twilight said, stopping her pacing. "I have a hard enough time keeping Spike under control. But still. I don't want to see Scootaloo get hurt again."

"Nopony wants to see that, Twilight," Rarity said. "And Trixie did seem very sincere about losing her child."

"Ha! She's a show mare," Twilight said. "She's an expert at fooling other ponies."

Twilight's tirade was cut short, when somepony from outside started knocking on the front door.

"I'll get it," Shining Armor volunteered. He trotted to the front door and opened it with his magic.

His jaw immediately dropped when he saw who it was. "Princess Celestia!" he said.

Princess Celestia glared at Shining Armor, and his heart turned cold. The Supreme Ruler of Equestria was not just angry; she was royally angry.

"Shining Armor," Princess Celestia said in a terse voice. "What are you doing here in Ponyville?"

"I—"

"Your mission was finished five days ago," Celestia said. "Why are you still here?"

"I, uh, thought I could help my sister Twilight find the other Elements," Shining Armor said. "And, um...there's this mare..."

"You will report back to Canterlot immediately," Princess Celestia said. "If I return home before you do, you can consider yourself demoted. Do I make myself clear?"

"Uh...aye, aye, Your Highness," Shining Armor said.

"Good," Princess Celestia said. She stepped inside, while Shining Armor dashed upstairs to get his luggage.

"Princess Celestia?" Twilight gasped. "How did you get here so quickly?"

"Twilight. I came as soon as I got your letter," Princess Celestia said. She looked sternly at her student. "If this is some kind of joke..."

"It's all true," Twilight said. "I wouldn't joke about something like this."

"Where is Trixie?" Celestia asked.

"She's in the kitchen with Scootaloo," Twilight said. She made a sour face. "She said the two of them needed privacy."

"Get her. Bring her here," Celestia ordered.

"Should I get Scootaloo, too?" Twilight asked.

"Hmmm...no. The child doesn't need to hear this."

Twilight went to the kitchen, while Princess Celestia took a few heavy footsteps towards the right.

"Princess Celestia, Your Highness...are you okay?" Rarity asked.

Princess Celestia let out a horse-like snort. "I just found out my personal student had an illegitimate child while she was studying with me," she said. "Of course I'm not okay."

"Oh...oh dear," Rarity said.

Celestia looked pointedly at Rarity. "Who are you?" she asked.

"I'm Rarity," she said. "I'm Twilight's friend."

"Ah, yes, the Element of Loyalty," Celestia said. A small smile broke through Celestia's harsh demeanor. "I should have expected you to be here, supporting your friend."

"Twilight is...very upset about this situation," Rarity said. "But Scootaloo thinks it's the best day of her life. I'm not sure I can balance the two of them."

The door to the kitchen shut, as Twilight and Trixie came out. "Here she is," Twilight said. Trixie had her hat off, and she looked worried. The instant she saw the angry look on Celestia's face, Trixie hung her head in shame.

"Trixie," Celestia said. "It's been a long time."

"Y-yes, it has," Trixie said. "I'm sorry for what I did."

"I had the Royal Guard search for you for weeks," Celestia said. "I thought you were kidnapped or killed."

"I didn't mean to hurt you," Trixie said. "I wanted to keep studying magic, I really did. But I couldn't stay in Canterlot."

"You didn't want anypony to know you were pregnant," Celestia said.

"No, I had to get out of town," Trixie said. "If he found out what happened, it would have been...horrible..."

"He?" Twilight asked.

"Prince Blueblood," Trixie said. "...Scootaloo's father."

Twilight felt like someone had smacked her across the head with a wooden board. Even Princess Celestia was surprised.

Across the room, Shining Armor dropped his suitcase down the stairs. "Blueblood?" he asked. "Are you saying that scumbag—"

"Shining!" Celestia said.

"Uh, right! Demotion! I'm leaving!" Shining said, grabbing his suitcase and running out the door.

"Blueblood is the father?" Celestia asked. "Are you absolutely sure?"

Trixie nodded. "There's nopony else it could be," she said. "But when I told him I was pregnant, he...gave me money and told me to get rid of it..."

"Oh, my," Rarity said, putting her hooves over her mouth.

"Blueblood—I—this changes everything," Celestia said.

"You can't tell him!" Trixie said. "He'll claim sole custody and take Scootaloo away from me!"

"She's not yours!" Twilight said. "And besides, there's no way Blueblood would want to take care of a filly."

"The laws are...complicated, when the child of royalty is involved," Celestia said, not wanting to go into more detail. "I would have to look some things up before I can decide what to do."

Trixie threw herself at Princess Celestia's left hoof. "You can't take Scootaloo away from me!" she said. "You just can't! I know I deserve it, but she doesn't! Please!"

Celestia wrapped her other hoof around Trixie's body, in a half-hug. "Do not worry," she said. "I'll take care of everything. You just take Scootaloo home, okay? All will be well."

It took some convincing, but Trixie eventually left with Scootaloo. The small child was bouncing around with excitement the whole time. When they were gone, Twilight immediately tried to start up a conversation about Scootaloo, but Princess Celestia did not want to pursue further discussion.

"I should be leaving as well," Celestia said. "I left the castle quite suddenly. No doubt, everypony will want to know where I've been."

Princess Celestia stopped to look at the display case with the Elements of Harmony inside. "You've done a good job with the Elements," she said. "I am certain you can find the other two in time."

"But Princess..." Twilight said. "What about the sixth one? The Element of Magic?"

"I am not sure," Celestia said. "Perhaps Trixie reappearing after all these years is a good thing, after all. Did you get a look at her cutie mark?"

Twilight thought backwards. "It's a star," she said. Then she gasped. "It's a six-pointed star, just like the Element of Magic!"

Princess Celestia nodded. "Exactly," she said. "That's why I made Trixie my personal student. After seeing her entrance exam and her cutie mark, I thought she could be the Element of Magic."

"But that was ten years ago," Twilight said.

"Yes, and I fear she hasn't studied a bit of magic since," Celestia sighed. "Hopefully, we can make up for lost time."

"No, that was ten years ago," Twilight said. "Two weeks ago, you told me that nopony knew what the last Element of Harmony was!"

"I mean nopony besides me," Celestia said. "I helped wield the elements a thousand years ago, after all."

"You lied to me?" Twilight asked.

Nightmare Moon's voice sounded in Twilight's head. Celestia has been manipulating you from the beginning. Do you really want to stand with her?

"I didn't lie," Celestia said. "I...just didn't want to discourage you."

"So you kept the truth from me?" Twilight asked. "I thought we were friends!"

"We are," Celestia said. "But I didn't want to upset you by saying that the Element of Magic is probably Prince Blueblood."

Twilight gasped. "What?"

"His cutie mark is an eight-pointed magic star," Celestia said. "He and Trixie are the only ponies I know with magic star cutie marks, so I believe one of them must be the Element of Magic."

"No!" Twilight said, stepping backwards. "You can't be serious! I can't work with him! You know what he did to me! You just heard what he did to Trixie!"

"I am not trying to defend him," Celestia said. "I am merely pointing out the strong possibility that he is the pony we're looking for. And now that Trixie has returned—"

"So you did lie to me!" Twilight said.

"Twilight..." Celestia said. "Look deep inside yourself. If I had told you from the beginning that Blueblood was one of the ponies you needed, would you have gone on this mission?"

Twilight thought about that. "...Probably not," she admitted.

"That's why I told you to leave the last Element of Harmony to me, while you focused on the first five," Celestia said. "I wanted to avoid hurting you."

"No," Twilight disagreed. "You used me. You deliberately misled me. I care more about Scootaloo than any other filly in the world, and now her life is going to be ruined, all because of your lies and your deception!"

Both Twilight and Celestia had faces contorted with pain. "My little pony..." Celestia said kindly.

"Don't call me that!" Twilight spat. "You and your stupid nephew! You and your precious student! She was right—you don't see me as a real friend! I'm just a charity case that you feel sorry for! Your students are the ones who can help you with your precious plan! Who cares if they're a bunch of lying, cheating, jerks? As long as they help carry out your secret agenda, they can do whatever they want!"

"Twilight, you're getting hysterical," Rarity interjected.

"That's why Blueblood has been allowed to go free, isn't it?" Twilight demanded. "You should have thrown him in jail years ago, but you didn't, because you knew he was the only one who could help you carry out your plan! Well, I'm out!"

Twilight flared her wings and slammed her front hooves on the ground. "I'm not helping you with the Elements of Harmony anymore!" she shouted. "You and your sister can go to Tartarus, for all I care! Goodbye!"

Twilight flew upstairs to her bedroom and slammed the door as loudly as she could. Princess Celestia stood in place and pursed her lips. Just when I thought tonight couldn't get any worse...

"Um...Princess?" Rarity asked, timidly. "I'm sure Twilight didn't mean what she said. Please, don't punish her."

Celestia smiled weakly. "I'm not going to banish Twilight to the moon for one emotional outburst," Celestia said. "It's been a difficult night for everypony."

"That's an understatement," Rarity said.

"Maybe I was wrong to put so much pressure on her," Celestia said. "I'll contact her tomorrow morning. She'll feel better after a night of sleep."

Princess Celestia headed to the front door, when she stopped and turned towards Rarity. "Oh, by the way," Celestia said. "I have a present for you, Rarity."

"A...present? For me?" Rarity asked.

Celestia focused her magic, and a number of gold-colored tickets fell on the table in front of Rarity. "Enjoy."

Rarity picked them up. "Tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala?" she gasped.

"One for all five of you," Celestia said. "Consider it my thanks for retrieving the Elements of Harmony."

"I've always dreamed of attending the gala!" Rarity said enthusiastically. "Thank you!"

"Unfortunately, I don't have time to deliver them myself," Celestia said. "Could you give them to the other ponies for me?"

"It would be my honor," Rarity said, bowing lowly.

"On second thought, use Spike to send them letters," Celestia said. "Ask the other ponies to come here to get the tickets. I have a feeling Twilight could use her friends right now."


Twelve minutes later, there were four ponies gathered outside the door to Twilight's bedroom.

"Twilight, darling? You need to come out. We're worried about you!"

"Yeah, don't be a mopey pants! Come out and talk to us!"

"Rarity says you've locked yourself in here. What's wrong? I'm sure we can help."

"Sugarcube, if you don't open this door by the count of five, I'm gonna break it down! One, two, three, four...five!"

*smash!*

"Applejack, what are you doing?"

"I'm kicking the door down, like I said I would!"

"That's destruction of property! That's—"

"...It was unlocked the whole time?"

"Well, that was—hey, she's not in here!"

"Where's Twilight?"


Deep in the Everfree Forest, a lone pegasus walked in the cold mist.

"Nightmare Moon?" Twilight asked, shivering slightly. "Nightmare! I know you're here! Come out!"

A small tendril of black fog turned itself into a vague representation of Nightmare Moon's head. "Twilight?" she asked. "What are you doing here?"

"I've made my decision," Twilight said. "I don't care what Princess Celestia says anymore. I want to become a unicorn."

Nightmare Moon chuckled evilly.