• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 8,283 Views, 575 Comments

Flying High - arglefumph



What if Twilight Sparkle was born a pegasus, not a unicorn? Would she still be able to help defeat Nightmare Moon with the Elements of Harmony?

  • ...
31
 575
 8,283

Prologue

Fourteen Years Ago

It was a busy day at Canterlot Castle. The newest batch of recruits for the Royal Guard were officially starting their first day of duty, and most of them were more nervous than a cat in a rocking chair factory.

Celestia was scheduled to meet with all the new guards at 4:00, but that was still a half hour away. Instead of waiting, she decided to take a walk through the gardens. Watching the animals and hearing the quiet sounds of nature always calmed the Princess of the Sun.

Only this day, nature was not so quiet. The birds were clearly disturbed, and they chittered loudly. Wondering what the problem was, Celestia followed the upset animals to the source of their disturbance.

In a corner of the garden areas was a lavender-colored pegasus, so young that she didn't have her cutie mark yet. She was crying to herself and making a lot of noise.

"Are you okay?" Princess Celestia asked.

"I'm looooooost!" the pegasus cried. "I flew here to wish my big brother good luck, and now I don't know where I am, and I—"

"Please, don't cry," Princess Celestia said. "I can help you."

The young filly wiped the tears from her eyes, then looked up at the princess. She immediately gasped.

"You—you're Princess Celestia!" the pegasus said.

"I am," Celestia said kindly. "And what is your name, young one?"

"T...Twilight Sparkle," the lavender-colored pony said.

"Well, Twilight, I think I can help you find your brother," said the princess. "What is his name?"

"Shining Armor," Twilight said. "He's big and has a blue mane, and he's a unicorn."

"Let's see if we can find him, then," Princess Celestia said. "Please, come with me." She began to walk to the nearest guard station, while the tiny Twilight followed at her side.

"Um...Princess?" Twilight asked. She sniffed loudly, trying to keep a few more tears from escaping. "Mom says you can do really powerful magic. Is that true?"

Celestia smiled. "Yes, my little pony," she said. "With my magic, I can control the sun and the moon."

"Wow, really?" Twilight asked. "That's amazing! Since you're so good at magic, can you...can you make me a unicorn? Please?"

The princess halted at that question. "Make you a unicorn?" Celestia asked. "Don't you enjoy being a pegasus?"

"No," Twilight said. She spread out her wings. "Flying is fun and all, but everypony at my school is a unicorn. They'd rather talk about magic than hang out with me."

"What about your friends?" Celestia asked.

"...I don't have any friends, besides my brother," Twilight said sadly. "And I was just thinking...maybe if I was a unicorn, I could have friends."

"I see," Princess Celestia said. She thought for a moment. "Well, I can't make you a unicorn, Twilight, but I can be your friend. Would you like that?"

"Yeah!" Twilight said, jumping up happily. "You can be my BPF! Big Princess Friend!"

Celestia chuckled at the young one's enthusiasm. Little fillies were so cute, sometimes.