• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 6,016 Views, 116 Comments

The End of a Nightmare. (A Grimdark Finale) - TheMareinTheMoon



An end to the cupcakes saga, and the grimdark universe...

  • ...
11
 116
 6,016

Chapter 5 "Goodbye"

Chapter 5
"Goodbye"

"We're gonna do WHAT!?" Spike screamed.

"We're going to stop Pinkie," Twilight repeated, unsure of herself. "This has to end now, before more innocent ponies suffer."

"What do you mean stop her!?," Spike answered in a panic, "What are we going to do? Waltz over to Sugarcube corner and kindly ask her to stop killing everypony!?"

"I DON'T WANT TO BE A PASTRY!" Spike yelled, as Twilight shoved a hoof over his mouth.

"Be quiet Spike! Aj is still asleep," She whispered, "We're going to leave you with Zecora for a while. Applejack and I are going to go and try to find some help,"

"Zecora? The creepy Zebra witch? No thank y-"

"This is no time for argument Spike," Twilight replied, "You'll be fine, Applebloom will be there too."

"But what about you?," Spike asked, "Twilight, you have to think about this, Pinkie is dangerous, and you're..."

Spike swallowed hard.

"Y'know..."

"I'll be careful Spike, I promise" Twilight assured.

"Please Twilight, I don't want to lose you," Spike said, blinking back tears, "Promise you'll be back."

Twilight stopped. She knew she couldn't guarantee that, she couldn't guarantee anything at this point, but she knew she couldn't let Spike know. She couldn't let herself know...

"I'll be back Spike." She said, hugging him, "Besides, I have Applejack to protect me."

"Ya sure do."

Spike and Twilight turned to see the earth pony lying on the floor, now awake and looking at them.

"Ummmm," Spike said nervously, "How long have you been awake?"

"Long enough," She replied, "Well, if you two are done, we best be headin' out. It's mornin' and we gotta move fast if we're gonna get you to Zecora's"

Spike shuddered at the thought of sharing a home with the strange enchantress. But the thought of Applebloom being there calmed his nerves a bit, at least he'd have someone to talk to who didn't speak in rhyme.

"I agree," Twilight nodded, "Spike, could you get a scroll from my saddlebag and let Zecora know we're coming?"

"Sure." Spike replied, hurrying over to Twilight's bag.

"So," Applejack whispered, once Spike was a safe distance, "Where will we be goin' after we drop him off?"

Twilight sighed, "I figured we would go to Canterlot. Speaking to the princess again was the last thing on my mind, but it seems we don't have much of a choice."

"Well, what if-"

Applejack was interrupted by the sound of burning paper, and she turned to see that Spike had finished sending his letter.

"Done!" He said

Applejack turned back to Twilight, "I'll tell you later."


The sun beamed brightly as they slowly trotted toward the Everfree forest. Twilight couldn't help but notice the stark contrast in weather from the previous night, the pegasi must have been falling behind again.

The three of them walked in complete silence for nearly half an hour before Applejack finally broke the silence with a question of her own.

"So, Twi," She spoke, "How did you get out of Magic Ki-"

Twilight's eye and ears twitched for a moment, and Spike quickly made motioned with his claw to not mention magic kindergarten to Twilight.

"Out of...That place" Applejack quickly revised.

She sighed, "I didn't..."

"I...I don't know what happened to me. Everypony was laughing at me, I felt so stupid and and worthless, I...I couldn't listen to them laugh anymore..."

Applejack stared at Twilight as she continued her story.

"So I...I took a pencil and I..." She wiped tears from her face as she spoke again, "I cut him AJ."

"Who?"

"I don't know...the first student I could find. They took me away, said I was crazy and locked me up. After a few days, Spike convinced them to release me, and he's been taking care of me ever since..."

Twilight looked at her assistant, who was now asleep on her back, and then back to the floor.

Applejack didn't know what to say. She had no idea twilight had gone through so much, it made her feel so selfish, for turning her back on her friends and family, for drinking while they suffered. She was about to speak when she realized they had reached their destination. Zecora's hut.

Twilight knocked on the door until the familiar black and white figure answered the door.

"Ah come in my pony friends. It seems you two have made amends." She rhymed, motioning for them to step inside.

"Heya Zecora, I guess you know why we're here then huh?" Applejack replied, looking around the small home.

"Indeed I do dear Applejack. To care for the dragon on her back." She said pointing towards Twilight.

"Oh Zecora, I'm sorry to put so much work on you, and on such short notice." Twilight apologized.

"Yeah," Applejack chimed in, "Especially with you carin' fer Applebloom already, speakin' of which where is she?"

"Ah your sister, Applebloom, she will surely be here soon" Zecora replied, slowly walking toward the pot in the middle of the room.

"So kind and obedient, she is fetching my final ingredient."

"May I ask what you are making?" Asked Twilight, trying to get a look at Zecora's brew.

"Just a simple simple remedy, for the hunger inside my empty belly." She smiled.

"So it's...soup?" Applejack asked.

Zecora nodded, and they heard a knock on the door.

"That must be her." Applejack said running to answer.

When she opened the door she was greeted not by joy, but confusion.

"Applejack?" Applebloom said, confused, "What're you doin' here?"

She looked behind her sister to see Twilight staring back at her, as well as a sleeping Spike.

"Uh, did I miss somethin'?" She asked, puzzled.

After she settled down, and Twilight explained, she began to unpack her saddlebags of zecora's ingredients and lay them on the table.

"So," She started, still unpacking her bags, "Spike will be staying here for a while, so you guys can look fer' help?"

Twilight nodded.

"But why?" She asked, "Why can't you just stay here! It's safe, and we have enough food for all of you."

"Easy now Applebloom, you know what happens when we assume." Zecora spoke.

"Well you don't have to fight, Pinkie can't find us here, why don't you just hide?"

Applejack approached her sister and looked her in the eyes.

"Applebloom, we've been runnin' fer far too long, it's time we stood up. Besides, If we hide, more ponies will suffer, and we can't let that happen."

Applebloom hugged her sister and told her to stay safe, as Spike had done to Twilight hours before.

"If you cannot find help to face your pink friend, it will surely be your end." Zecora began, "I will care for the dragon when he wakes, for now I think you should be going. for your sake."

"You're right, we'd better go" replied Twilight.

"Wait!" shouted Applebloom, grabbing some jars from the shelf nearby, "Take some food with you, stay safe, please."

"I will," Applejack replied, with a smile, "I love you sis."

"Love you too Aj"

And they were gone.

As the two ponies trudged back through the Everfree forest, they started to hear some strange noises in the distance. The sound of somepony yelling.

They looked at each other for a second and rushed toward the sound.

Twilight had prepared for the worst, but nothing could have prepared her for what she saw before her now.

There, on the stage before her, was probably the last pony she had wanted to see in all of Equestria.

"And now for for my final trick, the Great And Powerful Trixie will make this flower dissapear!"