• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 6,017 Views, 116 Comments

The End of a Nightmare. (A Grimdark Finale) - TheMareinTheMoon



An end to the cupcakes saga, and the grimdark universe...

  • ...
11
 116
 6,017

Epilogue "The Beginning"

Epilogue
"The Beginning"

Journal Entry #1

Nurse Redheart says Twilight won't make it.

I guess a part of me knew this, but I just didn't want to accept it. Now I'm gonna have to.

My leg is gone. The doctors had to take it away, it was too damaged to save.

The doctors have me in a wheelchair now, they say I might not walk again.

I'll never be able to walk through the grass again. never feel the ground beneath my hooves.

I'll never be able to buck another apple tree.

Applebloom and Spike are in the mental ward now, they may be there a while.

I don't know what happened to Scootaloo.

I haven't seen her since the real guards showed up and separated us all.

Trixie comes to the hospital every once and a while. She mostly visits Twilight though.

I always see her enter her room with some kind of gift, usually flowers.

And then I see her leave with tears in her eyes.

Sometimes, I sit here in my hospital bed and think about whether or not we did the right thing.

What if I had said no, back in that barn?

Zecora would still be alive.

I'd still have my legs.

But Pinkie would have still been out there.

I still remember when they took her body down from her "noose".

The smile on her face.

The blood on her dress.

It still haunts me sometimes.

I have to leave here.

I know that Celestia won't be happy once she finds out we've disobeyed her.

Heck, she may know already.

But I can't let her hurt me.

For Applebloom's sake.

I'm thinking Appleoosa.

Big Mac should still be there, hopefully he's forgiven me.

We'll be able to start all over again.

Make a new life.

Maybe I'll even be happy again.

So here I am.

Applejack.

The last remaining Element of Harmony.

And I know that no matter what happens to me.

No matter what happens to Twilight.

I still have the book.

Comments ( 44 )

GREAT ENDING!!!!! I love how its a journal entry and not just a narative... It adds to the effect of it. And also not going out and saying that you will save twilight but still implying it. Simply Amazing! Definatley need a new story NOW! Not soon, NOW! START IT!
- Chase

Manly tears have been shed. Outstanding.

292755
Now you have to go punch a whole in your wall to be manly again. Its in the book of man law.

293087 Now, now, no teasing. The book only contains a hollowed out cavity with a mustache. :moustache:!

293449 No, s'cool. I put a hole in my wall with my head when I was pretty young.

293515
I wasnt making fun of you, I was just saying to feel manly again you have to punch a wall... I had too after "My little dashie" and now i am as manly as before i read it IF NOT MORE. Although i did not cry during this story. Dont believe me? Check out my channel i recorded a reading for themareinthemoon... You wont here one actual tear come out (other than when im acting a crying person) MY LITTLE DASHIE HAS MADE ME A STRONGER MAN!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaseWCanon

Great ending to a great story.:scootangel:

Extremely well written story. Granted, I am usually NOT one who reads many Grimdark tales involving MLP (as I prefer the happy version myself)..that said, I really liked the direction the story took.

Yes, there are unanswered questions, as Applejack pointed out (what Celestia would do having disobeyed, did she find out about Luna's involvement, etc.) That said..I believe that BEST stories, are the ones that when they are finished, have you ASKING those questions to think and want more!

As a writer myself, I am very much motivated by stories like yours...and granted, my stories have little to nothing to do with MLP, I am comforted knowing that there are capable writers within this community that can write both the 'good' stuff, as well as very well-concluded 'Grimdark' things as well!

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors!

294845Thank you so much!:pinkiesmile:

It really means a lot. I'm glad you liked the story, and I wish you luck in your future stories as well:yay:

I really like this story. Even though I have only read 3 chapters (As I am saving it for when I read it for YouTube) I can tell that I am only going to like this story even more as i progress through it.
From,

JamesIsABrony

299252Glad to hear it!:pinkiehappy:

I can't wait to hear how you read it! Please keep me posted:scootangel:

Review for chapters 3-13: Seeing how they were all small I decided to just combine them all.

Now, first off. Wow. Simply outstanding. I honestly have no complaints at all with this story. You are very good at explaining things such as details of characters, setting the scenes, and the mood too. Your plot was amazing! Getting Twilight and Apple Jack as the last hope to stop their once best friend. I love how you used Trixie to help out along with Luna. I was especially really happy when Apple Bloom got her cutie mark (seriously i did not see that coming and i had to stop reading to laugh with joy that even at the darkest times, you can still find joy) I am happy you didn't kill Apple Bloom or Spike (some writers think its best to kill off everyone) although the mental institute was a nice touch. Now I have to admit, I am not a big fan of fics like this (EX. Dark) so i was a bit grossed out at the last part of the story but no matter the minor gore the plot always gets my attention. I am glad you decided to go heavy on the plot rather than the gore, my stomach can handle only so much.

All in all I am actually shocked at how well this turned out. You had little to none errors spelling wise and grammar wise, Your plot was awesome, Your descriptions on everything going from the weather to a certain pony mind is great! So honestly i have nothing bad to say about this.

Bravo and Encore! I am absolutely surprised I enjoyed a Dark labeled story. I hope to see more great works created from you. And maybe they wont have to be dark? I am a sucker for Romance if you want to try a new genre.

315879But is that really a bad thing?:pinkiehappy:

315901Obviously not if I know where all these referances came from.:ajsmug:

This story made my day sooooooooo much better. Your character portrayl kept me reading through the end and I shit you not, my mouth was agape the whole time. Great story and I am honored to be fallowed by such a superb writer. Just like dezmo would say, Bravo and Encore!

317766>>314318 Thank you so much, Both of you:pinkiesmile:
It's comments like these that really motivate me to write more, and to be called "superb"? It's just a wonderful feeling:twilightsmile:

Dezmo, thank you for reviewing my story, I found your points very interesting, and I will definitely put them into consideration when I go back to edit the story (grammar, punctuation and whatnot).

And I'm really glad you liked it magicolt! Glad I could make your day better, after all, that's always Pinkie's dream:pinkiehappy:

Really, thanks to both of you, and to all of those who've commented thus far:scootangel:

331936
Dont worry, He has stuff planned

388630 Some of the populace know, but they keep quiet about it out of fear...
Some ponies have tried to "punish" her...
But it didn't end well for them...

And the guards can only work under HER decrees: :trollestia:
And you can probably see how that goes...

Hope That helps :twilightsmile:

loved it loved it loved it i cant react to it i loved the ending it almost made me cry i loved the whole thing i thing you should do 1 last jorunal entery were twilight die and a funiral i wold :raritycry: :applecry: :fluttercry:

532928I love commenters like you the most:twilightsmile:
I think you'll be quite happy with my next project...

Truly a classic horror story ending indeed. :pinkiegasp:

I mean, from start to finish this was a true horror of tale to read about....Man, I'm still given chills about it.

Just WOAH indeed. :ajsmug:

Many kudos to you and your work good sir/madame.:moustache:

739397 :pinkiehappy: You sir/madame have made my day

That's the kind of response I had always dreamed of elliciting from viewers with this, and to know that I have?

:rainbowkiss: It just makes me ecstatic!

Thank you so much, and I'm glad you liked the story :twilightsmile:

Takes alot to make me cry... :raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

This was one of the best stories I've ever read.

:pinkiesad2:991164 I have the best fans....

1216004 I LOVE YOU.
YOU ARE OFFICIALLY THE GREATEST PERSON EVER:rainbowlaugh:

I've read this before I had an account
and guess what?
I STILL F*CKING CRIED!!!!:fluttercry::raritycry:
I THINK SOME NIGHTMARE SHOULD END LIKE THAT!!!:raritydespair:
Or end happly with nobuddy dies n stuff:pinkiesmile:
But still this fahking story about ending that god-forsaken nightmare!
It'll will be even better if you added dead rainbow dash.:twilightsmile:
you know from ask-dead-dash tumblr?:rainbowhuh:
anyway
10/10 best way to end that damned nightmare!!!:pinkiehappy::fluttercry:

It's over...the Cupcakes massacre is finally over! Good job for ending the nightmare for good. :pinkiehappy:

10/10

Hmmm so...Applejack,Applebloom,Big Macintosh,Spike,Scootaloo,Nurse Redheart and Trixie are survivors....nice absolutely nice :)

poor pinkie they killed her:fluttercry::raritycry: she could have been helped you know it didnt have to be this way. my pinkie fanboyism may be blinding me i still think what she did wasn't her fault i wish they could see that. shame what you fans do to her i know this was based off that tumblr but still.....she didnt have to die if they were truly her friends they would have tried to figure out what made her snap and try to help her i know i would. I really feel this is a revenge fic more then anything.

Pinkamena: I have realized some mistakes. 1, You spelled my name wrong. And 2, u put in ursa MAJOR when it was a ursa MINOR in the previous chapters but you only did that once. Now i gtg befor Butchershy realizes i was on here befor our mur.... shopping spree.:pinkiecrazy:

2107273 I love Pinkie!:scootangel: She's my favorite pony! just because something bad happens to a certain character in one of my stories, never means I dislike them! In fact I don't really dislike anypony in the show too strongly at all. There are just certain things that have to happen for the story to work, there aren't always happy endings, at least not in the grimdark genre, but don't fret, I'll have some more genres up in the coming weeks :pinkiesmile:

2817677
Well that's true even fans love to put their favorite characters through hard time and make them suffer. I never expect happy endings for grimdark because its not suppose to be happy. Now i feel nostelgic for the ask pinkamena diane pie blog.:applecry: If i remember the blog correctly Pinkamena is already too far gone to be helped so there we go with trixie putting her out of her misery.:rainbowlaugh: I hope to see more from you i love your writing style.

I..I... :fluttershysad::raritycry::raritydespair: its so sad!

This was a good story, nice job!

Instead of killing pinkamena she could be turned into a sex slave. Sorry picturing pinkamena as anthro again since the orginal ask pinkamena diane pie blog had her sorta anthromorthized because she is always seen walking around on her back legs. But whatever there wasn't enough gore and not enough serial killing :pinkiecrazy:

Wow. I hope that you will continue the diary entries that Applejack writes, so that this isn't the end. Great story nonetheless, and a great tribute to one of the greatest grimdark tales.

I found this because of Wubcakes reading of the first chapter :)

This I think is one of the best cupcakes sequels I've ever read. It is the most realistic I've read as well. I'm not sure about that whole magic kindergarden thing, that didn't really make much sense and wasn't really explained, but the alcoholism and decent into despair I think was really well done. In a lot of cupcakes sequels I don't believe they really take into account the level of shock which would be going through their minds. Most of the time they say 'oh, that can't be Pinkie, she must be possessed.' I don't think that is a natural reaction, this however portrayed this brilliantly.

It's not without it's problems though. I think it could have done with a little more time, and also Fluttershy's absence, Rarity's conviction, and Luna's role in the story isn't explained very well, ignoring the aforementioned magic kindergarden which I think was by far the most unrealistic and weakest part in the story. Either way, very well done, all things could do with little improvements, and this deserves a like and a favorite.

Great! Only issue is in the original story Apple Bloom was the killer apprentice

7888290
This is not only a sequel to Cupcakes, but also Lil’ miss Rarity, were Rarity makes ponies into dresses

7888290
she was framed, buddy

Login or register to comment