• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 6,011 Views, 116 Comments

The End of a Nightmare. (A Grimdark Finale) - TheMareinTheMoon



An end to the cupcakes saga, and the grimdark universe...

  • ...
11
 116
 6,011

Chapter 8 "Invitation"

Chapter 8
"Invitation"


"H-how did you get this?" Twilight stammered, still amazed by what she was holding.

"It's been in my personal library for years," Luna responded, approaching the shocked mare, "That book is far more powerful than you could imagine."

"Then why give it to me?" Twilight asked, "What makes you think that I can handle it?"

"Because you have hope." Luna replied, looking into her eyes, "Something the rest of us have all but forgotten about. You've taught me a valuable lesson Twilight."

"I-I have?"

"Yes, you've taught me that no matter how bleak your surroundings are, no matter how bad the situation has become, it can change." Luna pointed her hoof toward Twilight. "All it takes is the will of a single pony."

"Well that's all great..." Applejack interrupted, "But what exactly does that book do anyway?

"It's capable of doing many things," Luna said, glancing in the earth pony's direction, "But you must be wary, dominion over the dead is not something to be taken lightly."

"Dominion over the dead?" Applejack repeated, confused, "Are you sayin' this thing can bring dead ponies back to life?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes." Luna replied, eyes fixated on the book, "But it's dangerous, I've had to learn the hard way that-"

"Are you kiddin'?" Applejack interrupted, running over to Twilight, "Twi, this is exactly what we need! We can bring back our friends! We can make things normal again!"

"NO you cannot!" Luna boomed, "Listen to me! That book corrupts. If it's used too much, it can...do things to you. It gets inside your head, and it doesn't let go. It will make you do things you don't want to do...like betray a loved one."

Luna looked down, remembering the 1000 years she spent wishing she hadn't made that mistake.

"I wish it was that easy. Believe me I do, but it simply isn't worth the risk."

"Then, why give it to us?" Twilight asked

"For if something happens to either of you." Luna replied, bringing the two mares close, "I wish I could go with you. Truly I do, but my sister will not allow it, and I can't afford to anger her again. Especially the way she is now. "

"I will help you as much as I possibly can, but you must realize that I can't guarantee victory. I'm sure I don't need to remind you how dangerous your friend is."

Twilight and Applejack silently nodded in agreement.

"I...Can't let another pony die." Luna finally said, holding the two tighter, "Especially not one of you. Just promise me you will NOT use that book unless you absolutely need to."

Twilight returned Luna's embrace.

"I promise."

The night's breeze flowed through Luna's mane as they stepped onto her balcony overlooking Canterlot. The dark mare began to lose herself in the night air, it was her only solace in the grim world she was now surrounded by.

"Uh, princess?" Applejack spoke, eying the Alicorn.

"Hm? Oh yes," Luna said, snapping back to reality, "This is where we must depart."

At that moment, a bright light rose before them, bright enough to force the two ponies to shield their eyes. Once their vision had adjusted to it's glow, they were able to recognize it as Luna's personal chariot.

"They will protect you." Luna said, bringing attention to the two guard ponies pulling the chariot. "Won't you?"

"Yes Princess." They both responded.

Twilight looked at the chariot, and then back at Luna. She felt something strange...almost...joy. After a year of having nobody to confide in but herself and Spike, having both Applejack and Luna to rely on brought a feeling that Twilight had nearly forgotten existed. Friendship.

"Thank you Luna, for everything." Twilight finally said, embracing the tall mare.

"No Twilight, thank you." Luna spoke. "For making me belive again."

"Princess Luna" A voice on the other side of the door interrupted. "Celestia has requested to see you in the dining hall."

Luna knew the voice belonged to her sister's guards. She didn't have much time.

"Get going, both of you, while it's still night."

"Thank you fer' everything Princess." Applejack said, tipping her hat in respect as she boarded the chariot.

Luna slowly nodded in response.

Twilight looked at Luna one last time before entering the chariot.

"Goodbye Princess." Twilight finally said.

"Goodbye. Twilight Sparkle." Luna said, turning toward the door.

It would be the last time they spoke.


Twilight looked down at the miles of ground moving fast underneath them as they flew. The last time she'd flown in a chariot had been on her first day in Ponyville...

No. She couldn't let the memories enter now. They were far too close.

Applejack glanced over the side of the chariot as they flew over what was once Sweet Apple Acres. Were they really doing this? I mean, they barely had a plan, yet somehow Applejack felt more secure now than she had for a long time. What would be awaiting them once they reached Sugarcube Corner? What did they even plan to do? Reason with her? Applejack realized all these things, but pushed them out of her mind. No, without this, it's back to drowning pain in alcohol, she had to do this.

"Are you ready for this, Twilight?" Applejack spoke, looking up at her friend.

"I have to be." She replied, still looking at the moving landscape.

"I just wish we didn't have to do this..." She sulked, "I just wish I could close my eyes, and open them to see that the nightmare is over, that everything is normal again. That all my friends are here..."

"Well," Applejack said, trying to comfort her, "Maybe Luna could..."

She froze.

"Twilight do you see that?" She shook, pointing out into the landscape before them.

"What?" Twilight began to scan the forest below them.

"That!" Applejack repeated.

Twilight followed Applejack's hoof with her eyes until she was able to see what was causing the panic.

Fire.

"Is that Zecora's hut!?" Twilight screamed in fear.

"I think it is!"

"STOP!" Twilight screamed to the guards pulling the them, "Set down now!'

"But we haven't reached our desti-"

"NOW!"

The guards looked at each other nervously before complying with the frantic pony's request.

Applejack and Twilight ran from the chariot as soon as it touched the ground. Embers from the searing flames floated slowly through the air as Twilight looked on in utter disbelief.

"Applejack get the door open!" She ordered.

Applejack ran up to the door, kicking it with her hind legs as hard as she could until it burst open.

They immediately ran inside to be greeted by the inferno that was once Zecora's home.

"Spike! Applebloom!" Twilight screamed in between coughs, "Where are you!?"

"Anybody!" Applejack yelled, turning over broken shelves and wooden beams "Please...someone!"

"Here..." Spoke a disembodied voice.

Twilight and Applejack's eyes darted all around the room, trying to find the source of the sound.

"Here..." It called again.

Applejack traced its sound to the debris by the doorway. She began frantically throwing the debris away until the were able to see the figure of a blood-stained zebra.

"Zecora!" Twilight shrieked, noticing the bleeding knife wound in her chest.

"What happened here!?" Applejack screamed, "Where's Applebloom and Spike!?"

"She took them..." Zecora responded, coughing blood.

"She took them away..."

Twilight's eyes grew wide in panic and fear. She took them.

Tears began to flow down Applejack's face, as she desperately tried to lift Zecora from the ground. Each movement caused a surge of immense pain to run through Zecora's body, she could not be helped.

"Twilight hurry, get the book!" Applejack panicked, "We can bring her back!"

Zecora waved them off, bringing them both close as she spoke in between wheezing.

"No, my end is here," She coughed, "You must go and, and defeat your..."

Zecora began to choke and hyperventilate.

"Fear..." Twilight finished.

Zecora nodded with tears in her eyes before finally falling limp in Applejack's arms.

She was gone.

"We have to bury her." Applejack said, tears flowing down her face.

"No, we have to leave now!" Twilight replied with the same tears.

"SHE SACRIFICED HERSELF FOR US!" Applejack screamed, looking into her friends eyes.

"SHE WOULD HAVE WANTED US TO LEAVE!" Twilight answered, looking at her friend the same.

They left her.

They both walked out of the blazing tomb in sorrow. Eyes soaked with tears as they reached the chariot.

"What happened?" Asked a guard, "Are you okay?"

"No." Twilight responded, her eyes burning. "No I'm not okay."

"We're going to Sugarcube Corner. Now" Twilight said entering the chariot.

It was time to wake up.

It was time for the Nightmare to end.