• Published 1st Aug 2013
  • 6,974 Views, 741 Comments

Feather Steel - Cold Spike



He had it, every pony's dream. But what happens when fate delivers a blessing and a curse in the same breath? What is given is taken away, leaving one young colt to pick up the pieces.

  • ...
13
 741
 6,974

Chapter Eleven

Scootaloo gripped the handlebars of her scooter tighter than she ever remembered doing before. At one point, she had to loosen it up, as she could feel the bar shaking a bit. Countless ponies, buildings, signposts, fences and other random objects whizzed by as her wings buzzed furiously. Upon nearing a round building shaped like some kind of mutant cake from Pinkie Pie’s imagination, she ceased her buzzing and forced herself to a stop by digging her hooves into the dirt. Her scooter skidded to a sudden halt, forcing a trail of dust to fly up and land on the building’s front door with a sudden whoosh.

“Oops…”

The door swung up, revealing Rarity who glared at her. “What have you done to my house? Dirt!” Rarity’s eyes had bulged out of her sockets. She wasted no time in summoning up a bit of magic and wiping away the dust like it were nothing. The mare gave a firm nod, smirking at the cleanness.

“Uh, sorry, Rarity,” Scootaloo said, her hoof rubbing the back of her head.

She scoffed and shook her head. “And just what was the hurry, dear?”

Scootaloo shrugged while looking away. “I dunno…”

“Are you alright?”

“Yep! Totally fine!” Scootaloo exclaimed with as much sincerity as she could muster. “Is Sweetie Belle home?” she asked suddenly.

“You know darling, frowning too much will give one wrinkles.”

The filly blanched. “What makes you think I’ve been frowning?”

“Sweetheart, it’s written all over your darling little face,” she said, much to the pegasus’ annoyance. “Come now, what’s the matter? You can tell Rarity.”

“Nothing! Just that stupid Feather, he’s a featherbrain!” she exclaimed, stomping her front hoof on the ground. “I don’t wanna talk about it, okay?” she said, grumbling.

Rarity clicked her teeth and shook her head. “I don’t know the colt, so I can’t say to his… intelligence. But if he’s on your mind then perhaps it’s time you talk with him face to face about what this is really about,” she said with a wink.

Scootaloo tilted her head. “Huh?”

“Come now, young Scootaloo. Surely you fancy him and--”

“No.”

“Yes, but--”

“No.” Scootaloo shook her head, while smiling. “Nope.”

Rarity scoffed again. “You’re no fun. Very well, if you’re simply here to see my sister and not to seek my invaluable advice on dating colts, then by all means…” she trailed off and waved Scootaloo into her home.

“Thanks!” Scootaloo whizzed past her and up the stairs, coming to a halt in front of her friend’s door. She knocked on it quietly and waited.

“Coming!” The door was gently pulled open, revealing a smiling Sweetie Belle on the other side. She grinned upon finding Scootaloo. “Hey, Scoots! I… oh,” Sweetie paused to squint her eyes at her. “Have you been frowning?”

“Maybe. Hey, do you want to come to the clubhouse for a while? I’m kind of bored,” she said sourly.

Sweetie Belle giggled and rolled her eyes. “Getting tired of your coltfriend?”

Scootaloo’s felt her cheeks warm up. “He is not my coltfriend; he’s too much of a featherbrain anyway!” she said rather forcefully.

Sweetie Belle shrugged. “I dunno, he seemed fine, plus he did try and help us put that…” Sweetie trailed off and looked around for any telltale signs of other ponies. When she began speaking again, it was in a harsh whisper, “thing out.”

Scootaloo scratched her head. “Why are you whispering? You didn’t even say the word fire so--”

Before she could finish speaking, Sweetie’s hooves had been hastily jammed into the pegasus’ mouth. “Shh! She’ll hear you…” Sweetie squeaked out.

Scootaloo shoved her hooves aside and nodded. “Okay, okay. So… wanna go do something?”

Sweetie tapped her horn with her hoof with a long sigh. “As long as it doesn’t involve magic. I can’t believe we got off with just a quick lecture from Twilight on the dangers of getting near fires; I was sure she, of all ponies, would of figured it all out,” she said, whispering again.

“So that’s what happened? Huh. Well I’m glad it worked out. Why don’t we just, I dunno, go do some crusading without magic?”

Sweetie smiled and started dragging her friend along out of her room. “Works for me, let’s go find Apple Bloom and get going.”

It didn’t take them long to locate Apple Bloom, hitch up the wagon to Scootaloo’s scooter and get back to the clubhouse.


“You sure you don’t wanna try any magic?” Apple Bloom asked, turning to Sweetie Belle.

The filly swiftly shook her head. “No way. We’re inside a wooden clubhouse; do you really want it to light it on fire?”

“Well, we gotta do something! You got any cutie mark ideas, Scoots?”

Scootaloo, who had been laying on her back idly playing with her wings, scoffed. “Nah. Not unless you all wanna get a mark in featherbrain hunting.” She craned her head around to face them, staring at the two upside down with a smirk. “I think that’d be fun! Heh, that’d show him.”

Apple Bloom glanced to Sweetie Belle with a frown. “Uh, sure? Look, we get he’s your coltfriend and all, but we have to ask you--”

“He’s not my coltfriend!”

Apple Bloom giggled. “Sorry, it’s just you kept spending time with him and all…”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “So? He doesn’t have a cutie mark either, so what if he’s a stupid colt?”

Sweetie Belle walked up to Scootaloo then forced her head to make eye contact, glaring at her. “Scootaloo, no colts. Don’t you remember Cutie Mark Crusader clause number seven? No colts allowed.”

“Yeah,” Apple Bloom said, nodding. “Colts always make fun of us, like Snips or Snails. Or they try and get us in trouble or something.”

Scootaloo scratched her head in thought. I don’t remember us making that clause a thing… “What about Pipsqueak? he didn’t do anything like that,” she pointed out. “And he doesn’t have his mark yet.”

Apple Bloom thought about it, tapping her hoof to her chin, then promptly shrugged. “Yes, but he was pretty boring, Scoots.”

Sweetie Belle reluctantly nodded.

“Fine! Whatever, no colts in our club. But I can hang out with anypony I want to,” Scootaloo said, crossing her hooves with a profound pout.

Sweetie Belle glanced back to Apple Bloom, who gave a quick, encouraging nod. “Uh, even Diamond Tiara? That’s a bit weird, Scoots… especially because Cutie Mark Crusader clause nine clearly states no Diamond Tiara…”

She scoffed. “I don’t know! She keeps following him around; it’s not like I want her there.”

“Okay, okay, fine. We were just worried,” Sweetie said, frowning a bit. “How about we do some Crusadin’ and forget about this?”

“Works for me. Besides, it’ll be dark soon, so let’s think of something already.”


“Well, at least we avoided tree sap this time,” Scootaloo noted to the frowning pair. The three glanced at their newly crafted sheet of potential talents, each now neatly crossed out, and they collectively sighed.

“We’ll get it, Crusaders!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed with a hoof cheer. “Just…” she trailed off, letting go a quiet yawn. “Just after some sleep.”

Scootaloo had to agree with a silent nod and a quick yawn of her own. She gripped the handlebars on her scooter, only a tad looser and smiled. “I’ll see you both tomorrow at school. I, uh, hereby decree this the end of our Crusaders session,” she quickly added, while pretending to bang a gavel.

“Good night, Scoots!” Apple Bloom exclaimed, waving and cantering off toward Sweet Apple Acres.

“Night, Scoots!” Sweetie Belle repeated, walking off in a vague direction of her home.

Scootaloo waved to the two and lazily kicked her scooter into motion, waiting for the two to disappear from sight. C’mon, Apple Bloom, just get on home, she thought, watching her friend walk at the slowest pace imaginable. Every few steps Scootaloo would push her scooter forward, but only slightly. Easy does it…

After several moments of this, Scootaloo finally decided to balance her scooter against a tree and simply wait. She tapped her hooves on the ground over and over. Her head tilted to the side while she felt her eyelids getting heavier. “Grr, stupid sleep,” she muttered and rubbed her eyelids. “How long’s it been? Five minutes? Better be enough time,” she muttered again and finally started to move her scooter again.

A gust of wind suddenly picked up, causing her to shiver. She sighed and tried to quicken her pace just a bit; the constant darkness prevented her from moving too quickly for fear of tripping and making too much noise. She quickly turned into the apple orchard just as an owl hooted off in the distance. Her skin crawled. Almost there. It’s just the stupid dark, relax, she thought, her mind running frantic with movie horror fantasies.

Around halfway through her journey, she caught a quick glimpse of Apple Bloom’s home, still dimly lit from candlelight. She slowed to a halt to stare at the house. A nagging feeling in the back of her head urged her to move on to the clubhouse so she could sleep, but still she kept on staring. “It’s not fair,” she muttered. She grabbed the scooter and started pushing again, her eyes occasionally lingering back.

By the time she had reached the clubhouse, she was shivering. It’s just stupid dark. You’ve done this a hundred times before, she told herself. Still the distant sound of a hooting owl and the dozens of crickets against the disquieting silence made her shiver again. She took a deep breath, smelling the scents of fresh apples and dew on grass and felt a tad calmer. Scootaloo did this every step up the clubhouse until she was finally inside, free to set her scooter down.

“Finally. The clubhouse just had to be built way out here,” she said irritably. “Wish it was summer; nice, warm nights, no school, more jobs to do, sleepovers…” She walked over to a wooden plank which had been slightly protruding upwards and pried it open with one of her wings. “Ow, ow, ow,” she said, nursing it with her muzzle. “Ugh, I really need to get a crowbar.”

Shaking her head, she took out one of the hammocks and quickly set it up. She also grabbed a fresh candle and a holder, a match, and a few other items. She took the match in both her hooves, awkwardly positioned it to the floor and flicked it hard. Immediately the looming darkness was banished to the warm, inviting light of the flame. She lit the candle, placed it in the holder, and sighed. “That’s better.”

She clambered up into her hammock, draped a blanket over her body and laid back. For a while, her eyes lingered to the dancing candlelight and the open window. She gazed at the stars in a daze, her mind feeling uneasy from last week’s events. Why do I even care about him? He’s just a stupid colt, she reminded herself.

Grumbling a bit, she turned over to face the wall. The candlelight danced around a picture frame off to the side, illuminating it. She glanced at it and smiled. It depicted Scootaloo blowing a raspberry to the camera while Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom stood behind her with sincere smiles. Underneath the picture, just on the frame the words Cutie Mark Crusaders had been hastily carved into the wood. Scootaloo smiled peacefully and fell asleep.


Scootaloo grumbled and cracked her eyes open as her ears rang from crow of a rooster. She attempted to keep her eyes firmly shut, but the rooster wasn’t having it. After the fifth crow, she sighed and rolled over. “How does Apple Bloom live here? Stupid rooster.”

Her stomach grumbled the second she sprang up, but she ignored it stood up to stretch. She sniffed the air and shrugged. “Eh, I’ll shower tonight,” she said. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes, yawned and took a deep breath from the morning air. “So many apples....” she muttered and hastily packed away her hammock, picture frame and the burnt away candle and holder. She looked up at Celestia’s rising sun and sighed. “So little time.” The warmth slowly washed over her fur, causing her to slacken a bit and relax; the previous night’s stress a far away memory.

“Right,” she said, and went to gather her scooter and carefully carried it down. She grunted, pushing her friend’s wagon over and latched it on then dropped her school bag inside. The rooster crowed again, causing her ears to twitch. “Gotta beat Applejack,” she said and her wings buzzed into high gear, causing the scooter and wagon to lurch forward. She turned away from the treehouse and aimed for Applejack’s barn. A few leaves rustled by, one narrowly missing her head and another her eyes. I really need to save up for goggles, she thought while the barn got closer and closer. She felt her wings slow down and stuck her right back hoof into the dirt, skidding to a full stop. “Made it,” she said, wiping her head.

“Made wut?” Applejack asked from around the corner. Scootaloo jumped and turned around, finding the mare walking over with a stack of papers in her mouth. She spit them out onto Scootaloo’s scooter, crashing down with a loud thump.

“Oh, uh, made it on time. Gotta get those papers out there!” Scootaloo said enthusiastically.

Applejack chuckled and nodded. “Uh, sure.” Scootaloo went to leave, but Applejack stopped her, placing her front hoof on her scooter. “You sure you wanna keep deliverin’ them papers? Ah’m sure your ma and pa wouldn’t mind if ya quit.”

Scootaloo shook her head. “It’s not so bad. I get lots of extra spending money. Heh, plus my dad appreciates my work ethic, or he said something like that.”

Applejack chuckled a bit. “Or something, huh?” she quickly removed her hoof. “Well, far be it from me to get in in the way of a father's wishes.”

Scootaloo nodded and smiled, ready to push off again, before Applejack cleared her throat. “Uh, he does know you’re working this early, right?” she asked, her eyes narrowed on the filly.

I hate that stare of hers, Scootaloo thought. “Of course! He was, uh, the one that wanted me to get the job in the first place, Miss Applejack. But I really should get going so…”

“Right. Vamoose,” the mare replied, tipping her hat. “Was just checking,” she called back and walked off toward the farm.

With Applejack out of sight, Scootaloo sighed in relief. “Well, at least she didn’t ask where he’s been,” she said and her wings buzzed to life. I got fifty homes to go before class, let’s ride!


“Forty nine,” Scootaloo mumbled to herself tiredly. She hastily dropped a rolled up newspaper on the seemingly random house’s doorstep and lazily pushed her scooter along to the final home. “F- fifty,” she said and collapsed on said door stop for a rest.

She heaved for breath for close to three minutes and almost gave into falling asleep. Her eyes lazily glanced over to a piece of tarp which had been sewn over her Crusading Cape. She glared at it as the thing read “Fastest Delivery Filly, get your paper before you know it!”

“Stupid,” she muttered while gasping for more breath, “logo. What was I thinking?” she asked and rubbed her temple in tiny circles. After a few more minutes, her breathing felt steady enough for her to stand. Scootaloo grabbed her cape and carefully rolled it up and placed it in her saddlebag. She then dug around and for a towel she had packed and began to wipe away all the excess sweat from her route. “Yuck,” she said with a gag and packed it away in a plastic bag.

“Right, gotta get to class,” she muttered and gathered up a snack. It was a wrapped pastry with a note on the side.

Thanks for the news, Scoots!

The exclamation point had been dotted with a tiny pink heart. “Oh Pinkie,” she said and started to roll her scooter toward the schoolhouse. “Time for some fast food!” She started to roll off while balancing the delicious looking cupcake on her free hoof, until it nearly toppled over upon rolling into a rock. “Ah!” she screamed and quickly stopped to steady the precious treat. “Maybe not that fast…”

Despite all of this, she found the time to stop and practically shoveled the whole thing down her throat. Scootaloo neared the school, feeling both exhausted and like she wouldn’t need to eat for hours. She spotted several foals being dropped off by their respective guardians, including Applejack.

“You work hard now, ya hear?”

Apple Bloom nodded while smiling up at her. “Ah always do, big sis!”

“Ah, here’s your friend. Those papers wore you out yet?”

“No ma’am!” Scootaloo exclaimed with as much enthusiasm as she could muster at the moment.

She chuckled and began to stroll off. She called back to her nonchalantly, “Could'a fooled me.”

Scootaloo scowled slightly and promptly collapsed on the grass, her scooter falling over. “Fine… it’s hard!” she whined back at her as the mare chuckled in the distance.

Apple Bloom shook her head and began to drag Scootaloo by her feathers. “C’mon, lazy bum. We got class!”

Scootaloo’s hooves felt out helplessly toward the passing mare. “Help me!” she said in an over exaggerated manner. Apple Bloom shook her head and promptly shoved her into the classroom, just as the bell had rung. Eventually, the pegasus filly stood up, sighed, and slumped over to her desk. She gave a sideways glance over toward Feather, snorted at the sight of him, and then leaned into her hooves tiredly.

Miss Cheerilee began to rummage around in her desk while the students talked with among themselves. Scootaloo flinched upon feeling a tap on her shoulder, knowing full well where it came from: one feather brain of a colt. She got another tap from the same direction and nudged it off with a loud growl. A few more taps later and she whipped her head around, gave Feather a silent raspberry, then forced herself to look away. She heard a grunt from the colt and smiled to herself.

“Okay, today I’ve decided to invite our own local librarian, Twilight Sparkle, to come teach about the various figures and ponies throughout Equestria’s mighty history!” Miss Cheerilee announced like an overexcited filly. The response, as expected, wasn’t overly enthusiastic; with only a few students silently clapping. “Heh, right, students, please give a warm welcome to Twilight,” she said in a more authoritative tone.

The mare in question bounded into the room with a massive smile and a small blush from the forced cheer of the students. Levitating in her telekinetic field was an assortment of various notes and quite a few books. She gave Feather a quick wave, and he soon found himself the focus of the other student’s attention as he blushed while biting his teeth.

“I had a long discussion with your teacher, and we decided that it would not only be prudent to brush up some of the more particulars on pony history, as well as help every student keep up with with their studies. I’m aware history isn’t as exciting or engaging as, say, Rainbow’s weather projects, but if you all listen to my prepared lesson, I promise history can be just as intriguing!”

Expecting the coming silence, Twilight concentrated and soon a bright flash of light had shot out from her horn. Everypony shielded their eyes for a moment, then collectively gasped. Hovering just above her head was a glowing, translucent, three dimensional looking display of a very old looking pony with a beard and very attractive hat. His smug smile, combined with his over abundance of clothing told the class one thing: this pony was either very intelligent, or just plain silly.

“This,” she said with a proud smile, “is Starswirl the Bearded. He was responsible for the invention of many of the spells we use today; including many illusion spells like I’m using now.”

Scootaloo tried concentrating, but between forcing herself to stay awake and alert and the dull sounding lecture, it was difficult. As the class drew on, and her ire over the featherbrain died off, she continued to glance over at him occasionally. She began to idly tap her hooves on her desk and eventually a stray thought made its way into her consciousness. I guess he’s not that stupid. Should probably give him another chance, she thought and turned back to him for a quick nod. He smiled goofily back at her and she rolled her eyes. Still a featherbrain though.

“And this finally brings me to my next… p- point,” Twilight stuttered as her eyes suddenly widened to the size of saucers.

“Hi Twilight!”

Every single head flipped around in unison and everypony gasped. Standing in the doorway was a very cheery looking, waving alicorn. But not just any alicorn, no; this was Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.

“Um, Princess Cadance! What a, uh, pleasant surprise,” Twilight said, using her magic to stack her notes a few times as she wondered what to do.

She’s so… tall, Feather thought as the pink mare walked by his desk. Too tall.

“Oh don’t be so shy; you’re one of the smartest ponies I know and I’m sure your little presentation here will go smoothly,” she said causing Twilight to blush quite profoundly. Despite her not meaning to, she certainly sounded like she’d been talking down to Twilight like a young foal. A few of the colts even chuckled a bit.”I’ll just take a seat in the corner and let you finish,” she said quietly and leaned down to sit on the floor next to Feather’s desk. He glanced at her feathers as they folded in and she turned to face him.

Nopony should ever be that tall, he thought, and she smiled at him.

“Righhhht, okay then. Please everypony, make sure Princess Cadance feels welcome,” Twilight said and they all clapped while Cadance blushed. “Right, uh, Starswirl also seemed to go by many nicknames in his line of work; this has lead to some speculating, although unfounded, that he wasn’t a single stallion at all, but different ponies who all worked on individual projects and spells.”

“Oh! Like that stallion with the silly hat! Classic Starswirl,” Cadance interrupted.

“Oh, yes,” Twilight replied to the chuckling foals. “He certainly loved his hats.”

Twilight flipped through a few notes and coughed. “Moving on, we can focus on just how influential some of his inventions and spells were. I showed off a bit of his own illusion magic, but that’s only scratching the surface on just how powerful his magic came to be. And this was all from studying ancient books and tomes. Why, any one of you could follow in his hoofsteps if you simply applied your studies in magic.”

Diamond snorted causing Twilight and even Princess Cadance to glance at her. “Yeah, but only if you were a unicorn,” she said in shrill sort of tone.

Twilight frowned for but a moment then shook her head. “While it’s true Starswirl and many wizards like him were, in fact, unicorns, many earth ponies and plenty of pegasi have all contributed to further our understanding of spells. Both magical and passive; such as controlling our weather or helping us all grow crops.”

A blue colored colt in the back raised his hoof wildly and spoke before Twilight could even blink. “Ohh, ohh! Does that, um, mean that she’d be really good at magic?” he asked rather bluntly while pointing off to the blushing Princess Cadance. “Or no?”

Twilight’s smile didn’t waver, though a few students could tell that the gears in her head were churning quite fast. After a few moments of quiet contemplation, she tilted her head to the princess and eyed her rather expectantly.

Cadence blinked and then began to giggle a bit, causing the other students to look up in confusion. “Sorry, I didn’t catch that cue. Um,” she said and stood up while Twilight walked off to the side. She then faced the classroom and gave everypony a sweeping smile. “While I don’t have the same level of magical fidelity that, say, Princess Celestia or Luna do; I can safely say that I’ve been well gifted in the art and magic of love. Though,” she started, her voice sounding a bit strained, “er, possessing both wings, a horn and the strength of a mighty earth pony doesn’t always balance out those magics equally. I don’t really possess strength on par with most earth ponies for example; so a sort of… half magic has taken hold through me. I can fly exceptionally well and I’m quite good at magic, however,” she stated rather proudly.

“Half… magic?” the colt asked, tilting his head.

Twilight cleared her throat and took over before Cadance could even so much as blink. “Half magic is a common term among those that study magic, such as the professors over at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. It basically means that anypony, be they alicorn or no, can retain magical qualities from other races in their blood. Though, of course, in Princess Cadance’s case, the definition would be quite literal,” she announced with only one or two students nodding.

“Yes, kind of hard not to notice levitating a cup of tea while flying through the air,” the princess said while a few students giggled again.

Twilight shot a stern glare at the princess, who immediately quieted down like a student who’d been caught passing notes. But the other children continued to laugh until Twilight glanced in their direction with a small smile.

“Ahem, yes. I think we should get back on topic, though,” she said and they all nodded.

As Twilight continued to speak, Scootaloo started to ignore her. Instead finding her desk exceptionally far more interesting. She glanced back at her wings and fluttered them a bit, and then examined her forehooves. Half magic… she thought rather gloomily. She snapped out of her thoughts, though, when the bell rang and Twilight was forced to stop her speech.

“Oh, I suppose that’s brea-” she stopped as every foal in the vicinity, including Princess Cadance, rushed out before she finished her words. “Break,” she muttered and stared on at her former foalsitter with shock and awe.

“Yay! Swing set time!” the princess announced and giggled with the other students.

Twilight scratched her head and shook it in confusion. “No wonder she was so good with me as a filly; she never grew up herself.”

Author's Note:

Let me all know what you think; writers always, always appreciate comments and constructive criticism.

Sorry for the long wait. I'm also worried that this chapter is far too comedic for its own good, perhaps skewing too far off from that SAD tag that the story is supposed to have.