• Published 1st Aug 2013
  • 6,975 Views, 741 Comments

Feather Steel - Cold Spike



He had it, every pony's dream. But what happens when fate delivers a blessing and a curse in the same breath? What is given is taken away, leaving one young colt to pick up the pieces.

  • ...
13
 741
 6,975

Chapter Eight

Feather took a deep breath and tried to steady himself. "Um, Ms. Twilight? You don't need to take me to the hospital, it's not that bad. Can't we just get some burn cream from somewhere, then go back to school?"

Twilight stopped the wagon and looked back. "Feather, you aren't a very good liar. You're shaking so much that your teeth are practically chattering right now."

I'm a better liar than you think, he thought, managing a weak smile through the pain. "I'll be fine in a few minutes, promise."

Twilight hooked a hoof over the edge of the wagon. "Feather, is there some reason why you don't want to go to the hospital?"

Feather looked up just as she leaned over him, bright eyes wide with concern. It was like looking at the face of a puppy or kitten, and the colt found himself having to look away before he could lie to her, "It's just, I- my dad, he doesn't have a lot of money, and the bits for the hospital bill..." The colt trailed off and risked glancing up.

Twilight closed her eyes and shook her head. "Feather," she opened her eyes and moved her hoof to his face, stroking his cheek before resting it on his neck, "that's so sweet of you to think about your family like that. But, I'm sure your dad would want you to get better. And, so do I. I can take care of the hospital bill, the important thing is getting you treated."

“But… but…" Feather’s ears folded back. He couldn’t think of anything to refute the purple unicorn’s point. He looked down. "Please don’t take me to the hospital.”

Twilight looked down at him, and something clicked. Her expression changed slightly. The colt didn’t notice it, but it was there. "Ok, Feather." Twilight backed away from him. "I’ll respect your wishes, but you have to tell me the reason why, the real reason." She turned around, and started walking in a different direction, pulling the wagon along.

Feather let out a quiet whine, both from the pain caused by the wagon’s sudden movement, and from the realization that he just made things worse. It seemed that every time this particular grown up got involved, he came a little bit closer to being exposed. At the very least though, he had bought himself some time. Visiting the hospital would have been game over, but he could still try to come up with some lie to tell Twilight.


By the time they reached the library, Feather had yet to come up with a suitable fabrication. He could only wonder why, what with the burning pain in his side. But, the colt reluctantly admitted to himself, that wasn’t the only reason. He didn’t really want to lie to the librarian. By no means was he going to spill his true story to her, but maybe he could just stall instead of outright lying.

Was this ever a problem before? Feather watched the purple mare as she opened the library door. He wouldn’t hesitate to lie to anypony, or so he thought. What made her different? Was it because she tried to help him when he was hurt? Or was it because he felt he owed her for avoiding the hospital like he asked?

Twilight pulled the wagon into the library. "SPIKE!!" She yelled out before closing the door. "Are you here?”

The only other soul in the library looked over his shoulder. An oversized red earth pony, who would loom over either colt or librarian under normal stances, was trying to get a book off the top shelf of one of dozens of bookcases. He was supporting himself against the shelves, balancing himself on his hind legs, and making him that much taller than them. "Uh, Nnope,” he offered in response to Twilight’s question, just before his book, loosened by his efforts, fell from its resting place. It bounced off his head before falling to the ground, and he calmly looked up at the now empty spot on the shelf.

Failing to suppress a giggle, Twilight pulled the wagon to the center of the room, near the sofa. "I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to distract you. Have you seen Spike?”

“Eeyup,” the red pony nodded, “He was headed ta help Rar’s with somethin’." He nodded again, this time in Feather’s direction. "He alright?”

Before Twilight could answer, he pushed away from the bookshelf, wood creaking from the suddenly relieved stress. He was balanced upright for just a moment, then his front hooves came crashing down. At least, that’s how it seemed. He just fell back to a normal standing position, but the solid, heavy sound his hooves made on the floor made both smaller ponies jump. Unfortunately, that involuntary movement, small as it was, was enough to rub the rough cloth of Feather’s saddlebags against his wound, and he hissed in pain.

“He’s hurt,” Mac said simply, walking over to them, “what happened?”

“He has a burn,” Twilight explained. "One of the other pegasi at school turned a piece of cloud into a thundercloud, and Feather had a bunch of metal parts in his bag. Then he begged me not to take him to the hospital, so I brought him here. Wait here, I’m going to go get some ice.”

“Nnope." Mac shook his head. "Ice can hurt ‘im worse. Fetch me tub a’ cool water, and some clean cloths." Twilight went to fill his request, and the big pony looked down at the colt. First things first. "Ah need ta get yer bag off, Little Fella. Can ya be brave for me?”

Feather nodded, relieved that this new pony wasn’t asking why he wasn’t headed to a hospital. Then, he braced himself for the pain of having the bag torn away from his wound.

“Ah’m Big Mac, by the way." Mac pushed lightly down on the bag, not enough to really hurt, but enough for Feather to feel the pressure. "Ah didn’t know if ya remembered it." When he carefully rolled the bag off of the colt’s side, there was barely any pain, just the sensation of weight being lifted. "Ya seemed mighty nervous when Ah tried ta talk ta ya earlier, so Ah didn’t know if ya heard any of it." The pony paused for a moment. "Ah guess Ah can be a bit intimidatin’.”

“Um, a little.” He tried to recall their earlier meeting, but all he could conjure was the memory of shadow as he looked up at a towering stallion framed by blinding sunlight. Forget intimidating, it was downright terrifying. Ponies just aren’t meant to get that big. Still, the farmer was a little less awe-inspiring in the even light of the library. Still impressively large, but much less threatening. Though, offering aid to an injured foal helped his image more than the lighting did.

Feather winced as Mac started to inspect around the wound, moving the fur around to check the skin underneath. Feather was amazed by how light the touch around his wound was, given the pony’s size. If this pony tried, he could probably be a top level pickpocket.

Mac’s touch became even lighter when he noticed the colt’s discomfort. "Sorry, Ah didn’t mean ta hurt ya. Yer real lucky, though. There’s only a little blisterin’, and the burn isn’t too spread out.”

As Mac kept poking and prodding around the colt’s side, Feather started to watch. It was just glances at first, each one a second or two longer than the last, but soon enough, he was watching intently, trying to see what the big pony was looking for. "How do you know so much about burns?”

Mac paused for a moment, and leaned down to the side, dropping the harness from his shoulders beside the wagon. He then leaned the other way, so Feather could clearly see the side of his neck. "Ah don’t know if ya can see it, but ya can’t make a livin’ off a’ zap apples without getting bit by lightnin’ once ‘r twice.”

He looked closely, but the only thing Feather could see, aside from the hay in the red pony’s mane, was a ripple in the fur along his neck. With some hesitation, he reached out and felt that spot. There was a little ridge on the skin underneath, and it made the fur above grow just a little differently from the rest. "Is this a scar?”

“Eeyup." Mac stood still, letting the colt trace along the hidden, gnarled line. The colt was opening up to him. "Ah got it when Ah was about yer age.”

“How?" Curiosity had taken over for Feather. He wasn’t thinking up lies or excuses, wasn’t planning his next meal or shelter, or forcing himself to act older than he was. For this moment, he was just a foal asking questions, an inquiring young mind, with no worries other than what question to ask next.

Twilight walked in just as Mac started his story about a young colt’s first Zap-apple harvest. The two didn’t notice her, so she stayed quiet. Feather was actually talking to somepony, and she didn’t want to interrupt.

Every so often, Feather would interrupt with a question, seeking clarification or extra detail. "What’s a timberwolf? Why were you the only one in the field?”

“It’s a big mean monster, made a’ stumps and logs. Mah sisters were too young ta-" Mac caught some color out of the corner of his eye, and looked over. "Miss Sparkle, sorry, Ah was tryin’ ta-”

The unicorn held up her hoof. "No, no, it’s ok. I just didn’t want to interrupt." She looked down at the tub beside her. She had set it down, along with a pile of neatly folded towels, at some point while listening to Mac’s story. "Um, water’s here, and a few towels, oh, and some bandages. I can go find more if you need them.”

“That there’s plenty." Mac got up and walked over to the pile of towels. He bent down to take the largest one, but it was under several others. He was just about to pull his head away when they lifted up and away from his target, bathed in purple energy. He picked up the towel, but only lifted his head part way, leaving him eye-level with a helpful purple unicorn. "Thanks,” he said around the towel.

“Oh, you’re welcome,” Twilight said with a sheepish smile. She scratched her neck. "I didn’t know where you wanted them so…”

The stallion laid his towel over the nearby sofa. "Here, if that’s all right by you. It’s yer place after all." He scratched his neck. "Um, could ya bring the water over? Ah wouldn’t want ta risk spillin’.”

“Oh, good idea." Twilight picked up the tub with magic, careful floating it beside her as she walked towards the couch.

“Then climb up on the couch, would ya?" Mac moved back to the wagon where Feather lay watching. "Ok, little guy, Ah gotta move ya, ready?”

“Uh, wait,” Twilight shook her head, certain she had misheard, “you want me up on the couch?”

Mac looked back. "Eh, eeyup? Somepony’s gotta hold ‘im, and somepony’s gotta clean the wound. Ah just think ya might be the better choice fer a mother’s touch.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothin’,” Mac replied quickly. "Ah just meant, ya might be softer ’n Ah am.”

Her eyebrows fell flat. "And, what is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothin’,” Mac responded again. "Ah’m just sayin, Ah’m the best choice to clean his burn, ‘cause Ah know what Ah’m doin’, and yer the best choice ta hold him, ‘cause yer the only other pony here.”

“I’m just teasing,” Twilight snickered, “You don’t have to get all defensive.”

He grunted. “Ah ain’t, Ah’m just explainin’.”

The librarian nodded. "Sure you are." She hopped up on the couch, turning in place like a puppy before laying down next to the laid out towel. "Well, here I am, let’s get Feather over here and get him cleaned up.”

“Ah’ll do it,” Mac said before Twilight could pick the colt up in her magic. "Ya ready, little guy?”

Feather looked up at him. The big stallion towered over him like he did before, outside the bakery, but it was different. The colt felt no fear, or unease. If anything, he felt reassured. This strong stallion was on his side, wanting to help.

Feather nodded.

Mac looked over at Twilight. "Brave little guy, ain’t he?”

“Little guy?" Feather bit his lip to keep from smiling. What a funny nickname, this farmer could call anypony that. "Do you give nicknames to everypony you meet?”

“Eenope." Mac nudged his nose under Feather, lifting him easily and avoiding his burn. "Only fer ponies Ah like.”

Feather liked this grown up. He didn’t ask questions like the others, but he didn’t mind answering them. As Mac set him down in Twilight’s waiting hooves, Feather asked, “Why Little guy?”

Mac shrugged as he straightened up. "Ya sort a’ remind me a’ mahself." He reached for one of the clean towels, sweeping it up in a hoof and dipping it in the water. "When Ah was little, even younger than ya are now, mah pa used ta call me little guy. Ah just thought it fit ya.”

Feather blanched at the mention of Mac’s father. He looked away to hide the jealousy he felt, the jealousy he felt every time somepony talked about their parents. He had to pretend, and convince everypony, especially Twilight, that his father was still alive.

Mac sighed and looked down at the cloth as he wrung it out. "He died ‘fore Ah started gettin’ big. Ah always wondered what he’d say if he could see me now. I bet Ah’m just as big as he was.”

The colt looked up in surprise. He knew it was terrible, but hearing that kind of made him happy. This pony was like him. He might be able to understand his situation. His conversation with Scootaloo the other day flashed in his mind. Was he seriously considering telling a grown up about himself? No, he couldn’t, but, maybe, if the truth ever got out…

Feather shook his head, trying to clear away that train of thought. He didn’t need to be mimicking Scootaloo’s recklessness. "Um, what happened?”

“Hey now,” Twilight interrupted, “we need to get you cleaned up, Feather. Let’s focus on that. Right, Mac?”

The big pony nodded. "Eeyup.”

He went to work with his cloth, cleaning Feather’s wound with a steady hoof. First, he softly wiped down the surrounding fur, removing dirt, dust, and a little bit of ash. Then, he switched to another cloth, wet it down, and starting cleaning the wound itself. The cool water soothed, but still stung as it cleaned, and Feather bit his lip, trying not to cry out.

“There, there, it’s ok.” Twilight rubbed the back of the colt’s neck as Mac readied another cloth. "Here, let’s get that hat off of you.”

“No!” He grabbed it, squishing it to his head, protecting it from any wayward hooves or magic.

Twilight didn’t try to force it off, but she did give it a gentle tug, quietly urging the colt to loosen his grip. “Feather, wouldn’t you be more comfortable without it? Even Applejack takes her hat off every now and then.”

“My dad gave it to me,” Feather protested. “I don’t want to take it off.”

Mac shook his head in silent disapproval. Disapproval for what, only he knew. “Twi, Ah know yer tryin’ ta help, but let him keep it on.” He glanced back at the yoke he left on the floor. “When their hurtin’, a colt likes to hold on ta what their pa gave ’em.” He sighed quietly, and lifted the clean cloth he had readied. Then, he told the librarian, in an almost whisper, “this is where ya have ta hold ‘im.”

“FFfffff-” Feather bit his lip when the cloth touched his wound, digging in harder than before. Every muscle tensed, but he fought the urge to squirm or move away.

“It’s ok, Feather, it’s ok,” Twilight whispered as the colt squeezed against her hoof. “Mac! Do you have to be that rough with him?”

“It’s gotta get clean,” he answered without looking up from his work. He was scrubbing out the wound, removing burnt hairs and other debris. It was going to hurt however he did it, so it was best not to drag it out. “He can take it, right, little guy? Can ya be brave, fer me?”

Feather pulled tighter against Twilight, pressing his face into the fur of her leg. He nodded, eyes scrunched up as the stinging sensation spreading in his side stole his voice away. “I can,” he sobbed, quietly. He wanted to scream. Instead, he just cried into Twilight’s hoof.

“Oh, Feather,” Twilight brushed at the colt’s mane, sticking out from under his hat, but left the weathered panama in place. “Mac, can you hurry?”

The farmer kept a steady pace. “Ah don’t want it ta get infected.”

“Can’t you see that he’s in pain?”

“Ah can.” Mac didn’t stop, slow down, or let up at all. “Ah know what he’s goin’ through, and Ah know what he’ll go through if this don’t get cared for. It ain’t pretty.” He worked in silence for a moment, then spoke up. “Asides, Ah think he’s passed out.”

“What?!” Twilight looked down at Feather in alarm, touching his face with a hoof. The colt was quiet, breathing in a slow, peaceful rhythm, no longer gritting himself against the pain. “Mac! How could you? He’s just a colt!”

“And he’s a tough one.” Mac finished up the cleaning, and moved on to the bandages. “It may sound cold a’ me, but that colt shoulda been screaming. Ah know ya didn’t like ta see him in pain, but a clean wound heals better. Just ya wait, when he wakes up, Ah bet ya won’t be able ta tell he was ever hurt.”

“Maybe,” Twilight frowned. “I think I should have brought him to the hospital. They could have given him something for the pain.”

Mac shook his head. “Ya made the right choice, trust me. Just make sure the wrappin’ stays clean, and change ‘em out everyday.” The farm pony started bundling up the cloths he used, cleaning up what little mess he made. “And do me a favor, don’t press ‘im about why he didn’t want ta go. When a colt gets scared, it’s hard ta talk about it. If he’s gonna tell ya, he’s gotta do it on his own, not under pressure.”

“Is that from personal experience?” Twilight asked.

Mac sighed, lost in thought for a moment, then looked up at her. “Eeyup.”