• Published 1st Aug 2013
  • 6,972 Views, 741 Comments

Feather Steel - Cold Spike



He had it, every pony's dream. But what happens when fate delivers a blessing and a curse in the same breath? What is given is taken away, leaving one young colt to pick up the pieces.

  • ...
13
 741
 6,972

Chapter Six

“WHOOOT!!”

“WHOOOT!!”

Scootaloo rolled over. “Wha’sat noise?”

“WHOOOT!!” The same noise continued, waking her.

“It sounds like a train.” She yawned. “Why would there be a train- Oh, right, Tiara owns one. She opened her eyes and saw a bright light. She quickly shut her eyes. “Why is it so bright?” She peeked out of one eye, but she still saw nothing but light. Not only that, but it had gotten brighter. “What is that? I’m trying to sleep.”

“WHOOOT!!”

“Oh.” The filly’s mind caught up to the situation a bit too late for her to do anything but yell as the train smacked into her face. “GYAAHH!!” She rolled over and away, clutching her face, as the train de-railed and clattered to the floor.

“Scootaloo?!” Feather’s voice approached from behind her. “Are you ok? What happened?” She sat up and looked towards him, still clutching her face. She rubbed at it for a moment before putting her hoof down. “Oh...” The colt grimaced. “That’s not good.”

“Huh?” A loud yawn sounded from the bed. “What’s not?” A big, fluffy blanket was tossed from the bed, landing on top of an unprepared Feather. The pink filly on the bed sat up and rubbed at her eyes. “Did the alarm go off yet?” She opened her eyes and looked over at Scootaloo. “Oh, my gosh! Feather! Did you hit her?!”

“NO!” The colt dug his way out from under the blanket. “She was already like that! I swear!”

“Young ponies shouldn’t swear.” Feather screamed as he he jumped away from the voice of the butler behind him. “A youthful colt such as yourself should strive to conduct himself in a courteous and respectful manner at all times, let alone in the presence of of two young mares.” Quiet Step magically lifted a lidded tray from his back and guided it towards Scootaloo. “I was preparing breakfast when I overheard the commotion. Knowing the layout of the young miss’ alarm, it was not hard to guess what happened.”

Scootaloo blinked at the unicorn. “Uh, thanks, I guess.” She reached out and took the tray in her hooves and the magic glow around it faded. Then she noticed her reflection in the domed silver top. Specifically, she noticed the black eye in the reflection. “Oh, wow.” She turned her head in various angles to inspect her reflection more closely. “That’s a pretty good shiner.”

“Quite.” The butler nodded politely to each of the three young ponies. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I will return to the kitchen.” He turned and walked towards the door. “Breakfast will be ready soon enough that you will get the chance to eat before leaving for school.”

“School?!” Scootaloo went pale and brought her hooves to her forehead. “Oh no. No, no, no, no, no, I can’t go to school like this! What’ll I tell Ms. Cheerilee?”

Diamond Tiara just yawned and rolled over on the bed. She laid on her back and glanced back at Scootaloo. “Why don’t you just tell her the truth? You got hurt breaking one of my toys.”

“Ha-ha-ha,” Scootaloo said mockingly, “too bad you’ve got your cutie mark already, you’d make a great comedian.”

“Pfft. Jealous?” The pink filly rolled over to the edge of the bed, not wanting to leave the soft, comfy surface. After a few moments of hesitation, she groaned and jumped down to the floor. Then she yawned and headed for the door. “Bathroom’s mine, so I’ll go first. I’m feeling generous, so I’ll try to leave some hot water.” A few seconds after her striped tail disappeared down the hall, her voice rang out. “No promises though!”

“Wouldn’t expect any.” Scootaloo turned her attention down the hall as Quiet Step returned with a tray. “So, Feather, what do you suppose this is?”

Feather looked up from where he was examining the derailed train. “Are you talking to me?”

“No,” the filly rolled her eyes, “I’m talking to the stuffed dragon.”

The colt glanced at the mentioned plush toy before returning to his examination of the busted train. “I’m not even gonna ask why.”

Quiet Step placed the tray just inside the room, and bowed his head as he left. “I have matters to attend to now, I wish you a pleasant day.”

The orange filly awkwardly smiled back as the butler left. “Uh, thanks. You too?” She looked down at the tray. “That was fast, do you think this is breakfast?” Scootaloo lifted the lid and sure enough there were piles of pancakes big enough for several ponies. “Hope Diamond doesn’t expect any to be left when she gets back.. or should I say Dee?” She asked playfully.

Feather chuckled and headed over as Scootaloo started slamming pancakes down. “I don’t think she would like that.” He grabbed a pancake and tried it. “Ohh, this is good…” Feather chewed slowly, savoring every last buttery bite.

Scootaloo laughed at him like he was crazy, but given his circumstances she understood his overexaggerated actions a little. But, he was drooling like Rarity over a Prince. If he did that for every hot meal he got his hooves on... “When we get to school, find somepony else to eat lunch with.”

Feather stuck his tongue out at her, then used it to lick some syrup off his hoof. “I rarely get a good meal to eat, so sue me.”

Suddenly the bathroom door was knocked open, steam rising up through the air. Diamond Tiara stepped out looking just as she did when she got up, only soggier in appearance. “Ah, long hot showers are the best.” She turned to Scootaloo. “Your turn Blank Flank.”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes and walked off to the bathroom. Feather looked at Diamond Tiara and wondered why she still had a towel draped around her midsection but shrugged it off.

“Mother of Celestia that’s cold!” Scootaloo screamed.

They both looked at the door in shock and then shrugged it off. After two minutes, the door burst open revealing a shivering Scootaloo. She looked around frantically until she spotted Diamond TIara and ran up. “Let me have that towel, I’m freezing!” She tried to yank at it but Diamond fought her off.

“Let go!” The filly yelled. She fought Scootaloo off, ending the scuffle by bucking the pegasus in the flank and knocking her over. Diamond scowled and ran out of the room, towel still draped around her body.

Scootaloo looked at Feather in confusion. “I just wanted a towel, what I do wrong?”

“Hmm, no idea.” Scootaloo stood up and walked back to the bathroom, then she gently shook off all the water. Feather noticed she was still shivering though. “Shouldn't you be used to cold water?”

“Bite me.”

“I’m good. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” He pushed his way past Scootaloo and into the bathroom. He slammed the door shut, leaving the pegasus cold and wet in the hall.

His shower was over in minutes, and he came out relatively dry. He made his way back to Tiara’s room, where Scootaloo was playing with some toys, staging a mock battle between a plush Luna and a plastic dragon. “Hey, Scootaloo?” He asked, hoping to get her attention. “Tiara back yet?”

“Is Tiara back yet?” Scootaloo responded in a mocking tone. She didn’t look up from the toys. “You sure seem preoccupied with her lately. But, no, she’s taking forever. I think we’re gonna be late for school. And,” she pointed out, “I can’t exactly tell my friends why.”

“Why not?” He walked over to the dragon and poked it.

Scootaloo put the toys down. “How am I supposed to explain that I stayed at the house of our greatest enemy? And, Sweetie Belle will probably give me guff about there being a colt at the sleepover.”

“You really don’t like Diamond Tiara, huh?”

Scootaloo fidgeted with her hooves a bit. “I don’t hate her, but for some reason her and Silver Spoon seem to hate us. I’d gladly be her friend if she was nicer or something…”

“Hmm, she seems nice enough.”

She grunted. “Of course you think she’s nice! She’s been nothing but nice to you!”

“Ahem,” the butler cleared his throat at the door. “Miss Tiara is waiting for you downstairs. You had best hurry, I believe school begins rather soon.”

Feather groaned, and Scootaloo shrugged, but both of them began gathering their things. The butler watched silently, and within a minute, the two foals were headed for the stairs.

They found Diamond Tiara sitting downstairs by the open front door. Her father had been standing next to her, but he walked off as Feather and Scootaloo approached.

Tiara was fidgeting nervously, and glared at the other foals. “Are you blank flanks ready yet? We’re going to be late!”

Scootaloo scoffed and walked right past her. “We weren’t the ones that took too much time in the shower.”

The pink filly snorted, but didn’t bother with a comeback. Instead, she walked over to Feather. “Come on, let’s get moving. You don’t want to be late for your first day.”

From up ahead, Scootaloo yelled back, “Don’t worry, we won’t be!”