• Published 14th Jan 2013
  • 1,196 Views, 30 Comments

The Equestrian Intelligence Agency - General Soarin



When several of the Bearers Of Harmony disapprear without a trace, Princess Celestia fears that something sinister is going on, and orders the EIA to find out what is going on and put a stop to it.

  • ...
4
 30
 1,196

Chapter 10: Breaking Point

Team Hawk
Equestrian Intelligence Agency
EIA Ponyville Headquarters, Ponyville, Equestria
5 Hours After Launch Of Operation Harmony
(Mitsubishi Colt)

As soon as Celestia had left the room, Sky Hawk jerked around and leveled Spitfire with a downright chilly glare. “Why were you on Celestia's side?” He spat towards her. As she tried to answer “I was just...,” only to be interrupted by the stallion again “You were just WHAT? Not worrying about Rainbow anymore? Agreeing with Miss Sunshine on simply dropping the case? Giving up? Don’t you get it? She doesn’t want us to solve this case! There was something fishy going on with Laurence's parents and I intend to find out what!”

Sky Hawk basically shouted Spitfire down. Even though she was his senior, even though she was a famous flyer, she felt like a little filly being scolded. She backed up against the wall and looked him right in the eye as she admitted “I...I didn’t want you to be labeled as a traitor. If the Princess labels you a threat, she will hunt you down. Please, Hawk...please let the matter drop. I don’t want to see you hurt.”

Even while he was in mid-rant, Sky Hawk lost some steam after that. He saw Spitfire starting to shed some tears and actually felt horrible. He calmly trotted closer to Spitfire and lifted her lowered face with his hoof. He gently said “Look, I know that it is scary. And I admit that Laurence is a bigger problem than anything we ever had to face. But I promised to take on this job. It cost us our Director and at least a good dozen of our best agents. We very nearly lost Rainbow Dash earlier! This madpony needs to be put down. No redemption in prison or community service is going to be enough in this case. I will find him and I will put him down. And if I am kicked out of the agency from doing that, then I will do it on my own.”

Spitifire gasped. “You would betray the agency simply because you want REVENGE?” she asked, getting angrier near the end. “Or is that just about your ego? After all you said YOU will put him down. YOU are willing to betray the agency simply because you can’t let go. The director died, yes, but I WON’T LET YOU USE HIS DEATH FOR THIS! DID YOU REALLY THINK SHINING ARMOR WOULD WANT YOU TO PLAN A MURDER? EVEN IF IT WERE FOR JUSTICE? AS YOUR SUPERIOR I WILL FORBID YOU! YOU WANT TO LEAVE? FINE! YOU’RE FIRED!” Spitfire basically screamed the whole house down.

An observer outside would have noticed how quiet it had gotten after that statement. He or she would later even make a relation to the world holding it’s breath for one moment. Would the observer have spied through the window, he would have noticed the look of betrayal and hurt on Sky Hawk’s face. He would have noticed the slight tremble in his stance. If the observer would have listened closely he even would have heard the stallions quiet, forced words. “Fine...” he said, slowly turning and trotting out of the door. There was a bigger tremble here and if anypony would know him well, they would have noticed that Hawk was doing his best not to cry.

But there was no observer outside. In fact, the whole place right outside Fluttershys hiding place was deathly quiet. The brown pegasus slowly trotted away with his head held high. Tears were streaming over his muzzle, dripping into his nostrils and running their course all over his face. Sky Hawk’s sense of smell was quickly filled by the salty odor. He needed to walk a bit since there was no clearing nearby and the thick forest was too dense for him to fly off here. Sky Hawk sighed. Now he was truly alone...no agency, no Spitfire, no way to track the bastard Laurence. Any tracking device he could have used was property of the agency. With a quiet sigh, the orange maned pony noticed that his whole life revolved around the agency. It was all he could do and all he wanted to be. Every promotion had filled him with pride, every solved case had let him sleep better at night. And now...now everything was gone.

He had reached a near clearing now and started his ascent. Even his wings stung right now and Sky Hawk let out a toneless cry of sorrow and pain. To any observer it might have sounded a bit like a birds cry of pain. The pegasus didn’t notice the sun starting to rise behind him, he simply flied onward in a randomly chosen direction. Before him, everything was still a dark grey, clouds mixed with the retreating night sky had created a shadowy trail, almost looking like a road to certain doom. Sky Hawk didn’t notice and he wouldn’t have cared if he actually did. He simply flew away, as far away from the place he lost everything, a trail of falling tears trailing behind him.

&&&

Back at the barracks of Ponyville HQ, Spitfire too was shedding tears. What she had done right now was something she always had avoided. She had to choose between her love and her duty in her line of work. And although Spitfire was sure to have done the right thing...it still hurt. It hurt losing Sky Hawk, it hurt being accused of giving up, it simply all hurt. Spitfire was close to quitting herself and flying after Hawk as fast as she could.

Spitfire sighed. She couldn’t do that. Someone had to look at their junior, Rainbow Dash. The mare had been of the newest recruits in the entire agency but had raced to the rank of top agent faster than anyone. She might have personal flaws but she worked harder than anypony to finish her missions perfectly.

And so she had accepted Celestia's decision despite any consequences. “It feels like losing though,” muttered the yellow pegasus. Suddenly, the door was slammed open. Rainbow Dash had appeared. “Spitfire! I’ve got important information regarding Laurence! Where is Sky Hawk? He needs to hear this too!”

“He is...Sky Hawk left the organisation, Rainbow Dash. He wants to pursue Laurence even though Celestia openly forbade us from searching in this case earlier.” Spitfire admitted, causing Rainbows mouth to fall open in shock. “But...but I know what Laurence is planning to do NEXT! We could catch him in the act! Remember what happened to me earlier? That mule tried to take me over with his mind! But I showed him who’s boss! And I just got done sorting through all the things he tried to tempt me with! He TOLD me, Spitfire! He told me that he’s attacking Celestia! He told me that he only needs the Elements for one time! He needs them for revenge. He said something about avenging his parents...” Rainbow Dash confided her findings to Spitfire.

Spitfires eyes teared open and she gulped once. That were major news! Even if they didn’t continue working on the case, ‘Special Protocol 001’ stated that any and all planned attacks on a princess were to be reported immediately. And since Spitfire was the highest ranking officer and Rainbow Dash the one who discovered the news, they both needed to fly to Canterlot for reporting ASAP. ‘I have a bad feeling about this’ thought Spitfire while she took to the air with Rainbow on her side. She was prepared to help the weakening bearer of the Element of Loyalty, should the need arise.

Author's Note:

I thank MitsubishiColt so much right now, you're a damned hero. Anyway, after weeks of wait, Chapter 10 is finally here! Feast in the awesomeness!