• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 11,601 Views, 566 Comments

The Demon's Angel - Radiant Dawn



Wake up, go to work, be a human...but what if this all changed by the arrival of someone special? How much will change, and will it be a good change? Most of all, how important is your universe to you?

  • ...
35
 566
 11,601

Chapter 7: Heart Storm

Chapter 7: Heart Storm

"...and hurricane Florence has reached category four, and is expected to make landfall today along the east panhandle. In local news, we have a wave of thunderstorms moving in from the northwest, so prepare accordingly. This is Michael Vadasz, with your Action 5 News weather rep-"

I slammed my hand on the clock at that moment, cutting off the annoying voice. I groaned as I sat up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and looking blearily out the window. I did notice that some clouds were gathering in the distance, and even from here I could see lightning jumping around in the approaching storm front.

'Perfect...just perfect.'

There was a rustling beside and I turned to see Dash rubbing her eyes with a smile. "Mmm...well good morning, Koa."

"Good morning, beautiful. Sleep well?" I asked with a wide smile of my own.

She nodded and giggled. "You know, you're probably the first person to ever call me beautiful."

"Really?" I asked, an utterly confused expression on my face. "I mean I can't say that I ever really thought that ponies were sexy, but all the same, I always thought you were very pretty."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Why do I get the feeling you're trying to butter me up or something?"

I shrugged with a smirk. "Maybe I am, but that doesn't make it any less true."

"Rarity would just love you. I hope everything works out okay and you get to come with me, because all my friends would dig you big time." she said with a grin.

I shrugged. "I mean, I'd be there for you...but I guess making friends with your friends would be a plus." I then stood up and stretched, popping my back a few times before sighing in relief. "Well Dash, let's get cleaned up and get dressed. Today, you become Rosabela Kapule on Earth."


It took a few hours to get all the paperwork and questions done for Dash to get her new name, but by 13:30, we walked out of the city hall with a new birth certificate and social security card.

Next we headed over to the DMV to get her an ID so that she could get a job and whatnot. Since she was twenty-three, we made her birthday April 23rd, 1989 to coordinate with her real birthday somewhat (I couldn't very well tell them she was born in the year 1189).

After all that, I took her to the local department store so she could pick up some more clothes, as right now she only had like three outfits. It cost a few hundred dollars and now my wallet was crying, but Dash was happy and I was glad that she was happy. It was only about 3:00 by now, and my first appointment wasn't until 18:00, so we headed to the beach to chill for a few hours.

"We're going to the beach? It's going to rain though! No, not just rain, thunderstorm! We can't go to the beach!" Dash was ranting.

I smirked at her. "And why not?"

She raised an eyebrow in confusion before speaking again. "Well, because it's a thunderstorm. I can't fly in a...oh wait...nevermind."

I nodded. "Yeah, you don't have wings to get wet and besides, I've always found thunderstorms to be really relaxing. You'd be surprised how many locals enjoy the beach on a rainy day."

She shrugged. "Well, I can't say I'm all that crazy about it, but if you're cool with it I guess I'll give it a try."

I nodded again and we headed home to get dressed for the beach.


We arrived at the local public beach about twenty minutes later to find it deserted save for a few locals, which was just the way I liked it. The clouds had cooled the air down quite a bit, and the lightning dancing around overhead added a cool atmosphere. Dash was a little nervous, which was to be expected, but once she realized that there wasn't much danger as a human, she relaxed and started smiling.

"You know Koa," she started, "I never thought I'd like thunderstorms, but it's pretty cool actually. I mean, as a pegasus we always have to worry about getting struck by lightning or the rain making us unable to fly, but without those to worry about, it is pretty nice."

I nodded with a grin. "Yeah. I mean, we could be struck by lightning still, but it's highly unlikely." I then pointed to a cell phone tower about a mile away. "That thing is going to get hit before we ever do." I then grabbed her with an arm, holding her close against me. "I will protect you, my lady! The foul lightning will not harm you whilst I still draw breath!"

She giggled and shoved me away playfully. "You sound like Luna when you talk like that."

I smirked and chuckled as well. "Well, I'm sure she'll just love me then."

We stopped by a small outdoor restaurant on the beach and ate lunch, watching the blue and white lightning dance around the sky. Storms had always been a sort of relaxation tool for me, and because they were free to watch, it made it even better. As we sat and ate lunch, I could hear a lady that was sitting behind us mumbling to her son.

"...you see son? They're everywhere around here. We are in the belly of the beast, but it's God's work we're here to do. They need to know what they're doing is wrong, and since they're deaf to the Word, we'll make sure they hear it." I turned around in time to see her pointing a finger at Dashie. "That thing is an abomination."

The whole time I was listening to the conversation, I was hoping with every hope-cell in my body that I was wrong about what I thought she was talking about...but now I was pretty sure I knew. I stood up in anger and growled at the lady. "And just why is she and abomination?"

The forty-something lady stood up as well, practically snarling at me. "Because God hates fags, and she's one of them. She needs to know the way she lives her life is wrong."

I heard Dash push her chair out and stand beside me, but I shushed her. I looked into her shining eyes and smiled maniacally, whispering, "Let me take care of this, love." She blushed at the pet name, but nodded. I then turned back to the ignorant wretch in front of me and smirked, not bothering to hide my canines. "Well, I need to advise you of a few things then, Miss Bible-thumper. First of all, God loves everyone, even the 'fags', as you so offensively put it...so if you're going to sit there and try to preach your misguided beliefs to your son here, you might want to go back and read the book again." She stared at me, wide-eyed and I smirked even more. "Yeah...didn't think you'd come across someone that actually knows the truth, did you? Second, one of the Bible's teachings was 'judge not, lest ye be judged', which basically means to leave the judging to God. The reason why I say that is because my friend here," I gestured to Dash, "or should I say girlfriend, is perfectly straight as far as I know. So far not only are you guilty of hate - which is something God and Jesus preached against - but you're also a poor judge of character, which in all honesty makes sense. Lastly, I advise you to leave and go in peace, before I give you the backhand of peace for trying to ruin a relaxing day for me. So pick up your shit and get the hell out, you aren't welcome here anymore."

She growled at me and stood firm. "What are you, the owner of this place?"

I shook my head, still holding a grin. "Nope, but a good friend of mine is. If I tell him that some ignorant, hateful cunt is going to drive all his customers away, he'll have you out of here so fast you'll turn into a man."

The lady huffed and walked off, leaving her teenage son standing there looking really embarrassed. I patted him on the shoulder and smiled. "Don't worry man, I'm not going to judge you for your mother's stupidity. So far, you're still cool in my book." He smiled and nodded before walking off as well.

Dash held my arm and leaned her head against my shoulder, giggling. "My hero."

I looked at her with an eyebrow raised. "What? She pissed me off."

"Yeah, but you sound like Twilight when you're ranting." she said with a grin.

"Well then, that's yet another friend of yours I'll get along with then." I then took a pensive demeanor. "They're not going to try and get with me or something, are they?"

She placed a finger on her chin in thought. "Hmm...can't say for sure. Why, are you interested?"

"Not really." I slung an arm around her and pulled her close again. "I have the one I want right here."

She smiled and nodded. "Good, because otherwise I'd have to maim you or something."

"Really now? I'd like to see you try." I said with a grin. Before I could react, she tackled me to the ground with a loud laugh. By the time I had gotten my bearings, she had already mounted me and held my hands against the sand. I tried to force her off with some borderline-sexual hip movements, but she was in complete control. I then tried to raise my hands, but to no avail.

'I really need to work out some more.'

Eventually I gave up and just lay on the sand.

She grinned evilly at me, her bright cerise eyes shining. "Now, I have you completely at my mercy. Oh, what ever shall I do with you?" She then leaned down and planted a deep kiss on my lips, moaning as she did so. She held the kiss for a long time, me of course reciprocating happily. Unfortunately, a certain organ decided to make his presence known at that moment...and Dash definitely noticed. She pulled away in shock, blushing a deep crimson.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." she recited endlessly.

I just groaned and sat up, trying to think of anything to get it to go away faster. "Dash, it's okay. It's just proof that I like you, so think of it as a compliment."

"I...I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a prude...it's just that I'd prefer my first time be special is all." she said, stuttering a bit with embarrassment.

I stood up once my "problem" had resolved and smiled, pulling her into a hug and kissing her on the forehead. "Dashie, I already told you that I'm not going to force you to do anything against your will. You want to wait, I'll wait for as long as you need. You're special to me in a lot of ways for a lot of reasons, and I'm not going to screw this up by pressuring you." I then cleared my throat and grinned. "Um...don't take too long though if you're going to tease me like that."

She giggled and nodded. "Don't worry, I'll make it worth the wait, I promise."

We started to walk away towards town again when I realized I lost my wallet in our scuffle. "Dammit...wait here love, I have to go get my wallet off the beach. I'll be right back." She nodded and I darted towards the spot where she had me pinned, quickly finding my wallet. I was preparing to jog back when my hair started to stand on end, as well as the hair on my arms and legs.

"Uh oh..."

That was all I had time to say before a blinding flash took the world away.


It felt like I was floating, though I didn't know where to. I kept hearing voices all around me, some crying, some not. I blinked my eyes a couple times to clear my vision, only to see the inside of an ambulance with a young paramedic trying to calm a hysterical Rainbow Dash down. I sat up and coughed, my throat feeling a bit dry but otherwise normal. The look I got from the medic was priceless, and I had to fight to keep from laughing.

"Stop the truck." I said simply, while looking directly into Dashie's eyes. When I got no response, I looked over at the paramedic again and repeated myself louder, "I said stop the truck."

The medic in the back simply nodded before banging on the wall beside me.

"What?" said a voice from the other side.

I started to get frustrated, so I got up against the small window myself. "Stop the fucking truck, now!"

The passenger paramedic nodded as the ambulance began to slow. Once it came to a complete stop, I stood up and opened the doors myself and jumped off, holding up my arms for Dash to jump down as well. Once we were off the ambulance, all three medics swarmed me with questions, which I started to become more and more frustrated with.

I finally stopped them with a weird growl-like noise and they shut up. "Look, if you want me to get checked out, fine...but I can make my own way to the hospital, thanks." With that, I just turned around with Dash and started walking towards the hospital.

We were walking for a good ten minutes before Dash spoke. "Koa...what the hay happened back there?"

I shrugged. "You tell me. Last thing I remember was a bright flash of light, and then I woke up in that ambulance."

"You..." she choked down a sob before continuing, "you were struck by lightning, Koa." She then stopped us from walking and hugged me tighter than she ever had as she simply held her face against my chest, which was covered in a burned shirt. She let loose a few shaky breaths before looking up at me with frightened eyes. "I thought I lost you like I lost my mom, Koa. I was so scared."

I ran my fingers through her hair and smiled. "Well I feel fine...better than fine, actually. I'm alive and you're here, so nothing could make this better for me." My stomach growled and I chuckled. "Well, almost nothing. Lets head to the hospital so I can get checked out and then we'll go for dinner before I head to my appointment, how does that sound?" She nodded and we continued walking the few blocks to the hospital.


When we arrived, the driver of the ambulance was standing in the ER waiting room. As soon as he saw me, he pointed at me wildly with wide eyes. "That's him! That's the guy!"

I sighed and closed my eyes before facepalming. I then looked at the receptionist nurse and the few nurses and doctors that were in the room. "Let me guess, he told you all the story, right?" They all nodded before a female doctor whose nametag said D. Smith stepped forward.

"Hello Mr. Kamakani, my name is Dr. Smith. Would you come with me please?" she said in a sweet, caring voice.

I nodded before gesturing to Dash. "Only if she can come with me." The doctor nodded before signaling me to follow her as she stepped down the hallway.

We arrived at a normal checkup room with one of those weird checkup bed-chair things, and I hopped up onto it. "So doc, let's hurry this up please, because I'm starved and I have a job to get to in an hour or so."

She nodded and pulled out a wide array of machines, taking my temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate. She then pulled out some sticky pads, placing them around my chest and on my temples before turning on a machine, taking some readings, and then pulling them off. She left for about a half-hour before returning with a folder of papers.

She sat down and sighed before opening it. She read over the numbers quickly before gasping and looking up at me.

"What?" I asked in confusion.

She shook her head, mumbling, "That can't be right..." under her breath.

I started to get frustrated again as Dash was holding my arm in fear. "Doc, please just tell me what's up. My girlfriend here is scared I'm gonna explode or something, and like I said, I still have a job to get to...and I’m hungry!"

She was startled out of her thoughts and looked up at me, clearing her throat before speaking. "W-well Mr. Kamkan-"

I cut her off. "Koa...just Koa please."

She nodded. "Okay, Koa...well there are quite a few strange results we have here."

I raised an eyebrow. "Strange for what happened or strange in general?"

"Both." she answered quickly. I waited for her to continue, and eventually she did. "Well Koa, first off your temperature is far lower than it should be for a human being. Average temperature for the human body is 98.6, yours is 90.0. By all accounts, you should be entering hypothermia."

I shrugged. "I feel fine. Anything else?"

She nodded. "Well we did an EKG as well as a basic test for brain activity, and your results were off the charts..." she trailed off.

I was now even more confused, and a bit scared, to be honest. "In a good way or a bad way?"

She shook her head. "I'm unsure. The amount of electricity running through your body is enough to power an average house for a year."

"Wow...that's a lot of volts." I said in disbelief.

She nodded. "Lastly, other than some light dehydration, you are otherwise perfectly healthy. You have no burns to your skin, no nerve damage, no heart or brain damage, and no other injury of any kind. It's baffling, to say the least." She looked right at me and took a very serious expression to her face. "Koa...you should be dead. Not to sound negative or offensive, but I actually expect you to suddenly drop dead any second now. Very few people in history have taken a lightning strike to their head and lived to tell about it...grounded or not. You are the first in recorded history, however, to have no injuries, save for a small bruise to your left eye socket from when you fell on your face."

I brought my hand up to my face and winced as it passed over the bruise. "Ugh...what a pain. Look doc, I'm really happy I'm okay and all, but can I go now?"

She nodded before looking down at the folder containing my results. "I was wondering if you'd give us permission to release your medical records to study them."

I shook my head. "I'd rather not, thanks. I've seen enough movies about weird people to know how that would go. Just point me towards where I can sign out, and I'll be on my way."

Dr. Smith visibly deflated a bit, and sighed. "Fine...it's near the front waiting area where you came in. Just ask the nurse and she'll sign you out."

I nodded and held Dash's hand as I walked with her down the hallway.


After signing out from the hospital and heading to my shop, I started working as normal. I'd missed my appointment, but after hearing what happened both the customer and Vik were willing to work with each other instead. When I arrived, everyone just stared at me.

"Seriously? I got enough staring back at the hospital. Just go back to what you were doing, people." I said, while ripping the remnants of my shirt completely off and throwing them in the nearby trashcan. I then walked to the back office, holding Dashie's hand the whole way until we got there.

Once I sat down, the first person to come back and see me was Lily...and she was not happy. I thought she might actually break down and cry for a moment until she walked over and smacked me upside the head. She then glared at me before saying anything, but once she did...it wasn't nice.

"You stupid, cum-guzzling, shit-eating asshole!" She slapped me again before I could respond, then tried to do it again, but I caught her hand.

"Jesus Lil, chill out!" I yelled at her, holding both of her hands in a vice. I had to bow my head to keep from snarling at her in anger. The next time I looked up at her though, I felt like every bit the person she just said I was.

She was crying.

Perhaps I should explain something: Lily is one of those friends that I've literally known my entire life. By that I mean that I met her as soon as I could walk, and we've been friends ever since. Call it dysfunctional, but she's the younger sister I never had, but always wanted. That being said, I've only ever seen Lily cry once in twenty-three years - when her dad hung himself. With that being the case, I'm sure you can now understand just how serious it was for her to cry.

So there she was, not just crying now, but bawling. What hurt the most though, was that I knew what she was crying about...but she wouldn't even look at me. After her mom died, I became the only person in her life she could count on...so when she thought I was going to die from my little touch with God a few hours earlier, she lost it. Dash didn't know what to do, and in all honesty, neither did I. The last time she was like this, she didn't leave her house for almost a month. I just hope things aren't that bad this time around, with me not actually being dead and all.

For the longest time we sat in the back while she just cried on my shoulder. This of course was interrupted by Mike, who has a penchant for coming in at the worst possible times. The guy's my bro, but he has a shitty sense of timing.

"Yo Koa, we got customers out here, man." he said, not caring what was going on.

It didn't really surprise me, so I just nodded. "Tell my next that I'll be out there in a minute." He nodded and left, leaving me with the two girls. As much as I hated it, I still had a job to do, and so I hugged Lil tight and kissed her forehead. "Lil, Dashie here is going to stay with you until you're ready to come out, okay?" She nodded. "When work's done, we'll all go out for drinks and food." She nodded again and I looked over at Dash. "Dashie, I need you to keep an eye on Lil, please. Something tells me that you'll be able to level with her when it comes to death." Thankfully she nodded, so I hugged the both of them again and headed out to the main room.


Work dragged by with everything that was on my mind and while my art didn't suffer, my mind did. Not only was I worried about Lil and Dash (as well as how Diz was going to react), but the fact that my body was all weird now kinda bugged me. I mean, was this part of the change that Spike did to me, or was this something else? What do I do with this? The questions threatened to derail my sanity, but luckily I was a trooper, so I powered through the next four hours and finished work.

As Lil, Dash, and myself all left the shop, my mobile phone started buzzing in my pocket. 'Right on schedule...' I looked at the phone face and saw that it was indeed Dizzy, and even though it was just a phone conversation, I was dreading it. And so, I picked up the phone with a sigh.

"Hello?"

"Koa! You stupid motherfucking asshat! Tell me where you are so I can kick your ass myself!"

"*sigh* Lil, Dash, and myself are all going out for drinks and food at Corner Pocket. You can meet us there and do all the beating on me you want."

"Good, I'll meet you there. Prepare yourself for a lot of pain, Koa..."

And with that she disconnected the call. Now I don't normally worry about Diz, because she's always been very cuddly and fun. However, I've also never seen her mad before...not like this. She's also never cursed at me before.

Tonight was going to be rough if I couldn't fix this.


We arrived at the local pool hall/bar/grill about ten minutes later, Lil luckily having composed herself by then. I was curious of why Dash wasn't as broken as Lil was, but then I remembered that she had experienced death firsthand, so it probably didn't hold the same shock factor to her as it did Lil. All the same, she still looked a little stressed, but then that's nothing a little alcohol and good food couldn't fix.

As we walked in, the familiar aged biker-looking owner - Max - waved at me. "Hey there, Koa. Been awhile since you've been here. What's the occasion?"

I shrugged. "My friends here and I need some food and drinks, and you're the best place I know of to get them."

He smiled and headed to the back, grabbing me a bottle of Grolsch and Lil a bottle of Raging Bitch (yes, it's a real beer. Look it up). He then looked at Dash and smiled. "ID please?"

Dash reached in her pocket and pulled the ID out, showing it to him as he nodded. She then looked at me and then, so did Max.

I smiled and took a drink of my beer before responding, "Let her have a piña colada with Bacardi Gold, double."

Max nodded and headed off to the bar to prepare the drink.

Dash scooted closer to me and lay her head on my shoulder with a sigh of stress. "Koa, I don't remember seeing that tower ever get hit with lightning."

I took another swig of my beer and grinned. "I did say that it would get hit first, didn't I? Oh well, sorry about that. I can't be right all the time."

Max came back soon after with Dashie's drink and we all ordered some food, Dash surprisingly opting for a cheeseburger and fries.

And then Dizzy arrived.

I didn't even see her coming, but all of the sudden my cheek felt like someone hit it with a hammer, and I was on the floor looking up at a very upset woman. "Umm...hi there Diz."

"Don't 'hi' me, Koa. I was working on the plane with Tim and all of the sudden I hear you're in the hospital! After being struck by lightning no less!" she yelled. A few guys started to come over to help me, but I waved them off.

I stood up and caught her in an embrace, hugging her tight against me. She tensed at first, but then lay her head on my shoulder and silently cried. I rubbed her back while holding her close against me as I spoke. "Diz, I'm so sorry. You know damn well that worrying you is one of the absolute last things I'd ever want to do...right next to cutting my own dick off and necrophilia." She giggled a bit, and I smiled while I pulled away from her. "Come on, Dizzy, have a few drinks with us and chill out. It's been a hell of a day for all four of us, and I know I could use a drink."

She nodded in response and we all sat down again.


It was about 03:00 when Max finally closed down, and so we all stumbled home. I was still sober enough to know that Lil and Diz driving home would be bad, so I forced them to stay in my guest room for the night. Dash and I quickly showered and brushed our teeth before heading to bed, giant smiles on our faces. Luckily I'd made sure we all drank plenty of water after getting smashed, so at the very least Dash and I wouldn't have to worry too much about hangovers. The rum must have gotten to my bedmate, however, as she didn't stop with just taking off her clothes...she took off her underwear too. At this point however, I was too inebriated to really want to tell her no, so I climbed into bed after stripping down and lay next to her.

"Koa?" said a soft voice beside me.

I looked over to see two shining violet eyes. "Yes beautiful?"

Her cheeks were flushed pink, though I couldn't tell whether it was the alcohol or if she was embarrassed. "W-well, I was just thinking..."

"Yeah?" I responded while running my hand along her side.

Her blush deepened and she shivered a bit. "It's just that, I'm worried about you is all. The princess has a reason for changing you like you were...I'm just worried that it's going to cost me you though. I'm even more worried about this 'sacrifice' you're going to have to make. "

I pulled her close against me, feeling the warmth of her skin against mine as my nerves lit up with excitement. Even so, I forced myself to focus. My rainbow angel needed me now, and I wasn't going to let her down. "Dashie, I want you to listen to me right now." She turned her head up to see me, her eyes shining in the dim moonlight. "I will fight through hell and back before I let myself be separated from you. I swear it. I lost one love already...I will not lose another."

"But what if-" she started before I cut her off.

"No buts, babe. If I have to fight Celestia herself with my bare hands, I will. I don't care what it takes, I'll make damn sure that we can be together." I stated sternly.

She wrapped her leg around me and pressed her chest against my side before letting out a small moan of pleasure and a squeak of a yawn. "Okay Koa...I trust you." She shifted again, and my leg made sure to tell me of how she grinded into me a bit, but I let it go for now. Instead, I placed my arm around her, my hand resting against her right hip, rubbing her cutie mark softly. She moaned again softly before looking up at me, her eyes shining just a bit brighter than they had been. "Koa...I love you."

I smiled and kissed her, squeezing her thigh a bit for good measure before pulling away. "I love you too, my angel." I then smirked. "You know you said that you loved me last night, right?"

"I-I did? When?" she asked, with a small bit of panic in her voice.

I shrugged. "It was after you already fell asleep, I think. Why...did you not mean it then?"

She shook her head with a grin. "No...I still meant it. Seems my brain wanted me to say it sooner, I guess."

I nodded. "Well, I mean it too." Before I could react, she rolled over on top of me with a sultry smile, and I smirked right back. "What have you got planned, love?"

She shrugged. "I'm just winging it right now." She started to grind into me again, but this time it was obviously on purpose.

Before she could go any further though, I stopped her. "Dash...are you sure you're ready for this?"

She then pushed herself up so that I could see her whole body, and she nodded. "My mom told me that I should wait for somepony - or in this case someone - that I love. Well, I love you Koa...and you love me back. I've never been more ready."

I nodded and grinned at her, pulling her down on top of me again.

Tonight was going to be fun...