• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 1,323 Views, 22 Comments

Concerto For A Rainy Day - Closer-To-The-Sun



Needing to write a letter to Princess Celestia, Twilight goes out in the rain to observe her friends.

  • ...
0
 22
 1,323

Chapter 1: Standin' In The Rain

Chapter 1: Standin' In The Rain

Rain was pouring down in morning hours of Ponyville. Grey clouds encompassed the normally bright and cheery sky. Sadly for the residents of the small town, the rain meant a limit of the day's activities for many. In the library, however, the rain only added to the librarian's frustration.

"I don't know what to write about, Spike!" the purple unicorn spoke in irritation at herself.

The dragon finally started paying attention to what was going on. With a yawn, he replied, "What are you talking about, Twilight?"

"The letter to Princess Celestia. I know she said to not worry about sending a letter unless I discovered something about friendship, but it has been quite sometime since I sent a letter. It would be unprofessional of me if I didn't send one soon!" Twilight stressed the end of her sentence.

"You're not a professional anything, so don't worry about it," Spike calmly replied as he moved over towards the door.

"But it feels just so wrong and against everything I was taught by her!" the mare seemed to have more anxiety by the second.

Spike sat on the floor near the front door and pulled his rain boots on, "Just take your time with it, I guess. The subject of the letter will come to you soon enough."

Finally being able to break out of her non-stop stress, Twilight looked to her assistant, "Fine. What are you doing anyway? Do you plan to go out in that rain?"

"Yeah, I told Rarity I would help her out today with her shopping for supplies," Spike stood up with his yellow rain boots on his feet. Opening the door, Spike headed out, "I'll see you later."

Just as Spike closed the door, an idea was formed in Twilight Sparkle's head. Quickly, she rushed to get her saddlebag, some parchment, a quill, and an umbrella. Using her magic to open the umbrella, she followed behind Spike to the Carousel Boutique.

The small dragon noticed the unicorn following him, "What are you doing here, Twilight?"

"Oh nothing," she smiled, "just observing."

Spike shrugged it off as they arrived at Rarity's shop. He hopped onto the porch to knock at the door. A white unicorn with a highly fashionable purple mane answered.

"Oh, Spike! It's wonderful for you to show up! I must admit, I feared that the rain might deter you away," Rarity welcomed the dragon who was covered in rain.

"Nah, I'm a tough dragon, no rain will stop me from my promised duties!" Spike sounded very proud in his statement.

"Wonderful! I'll be out in just a moment."

Standing just off the porch was Twilight under her umbrella. Using her magic to both write down notes of what she was seeing and keeping herself and the parchment dry, the pony seemed to have found something interesting already.

Rarity returned as fast as she promised but with a purple coat around her white body and an umbrella floating by her magic. "I'm ready!" she chimed as she stepped out on the porch. Looking at the falling rain, she commented, "Those grey skies show no sign of letting up do they? Oh darn, and Sweetie Belle is using the other umbrella today."

Spike interrupted, "It's okay, I'll just use the one to keep you dry!"

"Are you sure?" Rarity asked, "It's only big enough for one."

"Sure I'm sure! It's no big deal!" the dragon took the umbrella and opened it up and used it to cover Rarity.

"Oh, thank you very much, Spike," Rarity trotted slowly down from her porch into the falling rain, protected by the closely following dragon with the shield against the weather. As Rarity trotted down, she saw her fellow unicorn friend, Twilight, "Oh, hello there, Twilight, didn't see you there. What are you doing out in this nasty weather?"

Twilight continued jotting notes down as she replied, "You know me, always the student, no matter what the weather is like."

The white unicorn simply smiled back as she trotted towards the town center and the marketplace. Despite all the rain hitting Spike, causing him to shiver quite a bit, he refused to let a single drop hit Rarity. While she might not know if rain had fallen on her, Spike would know and that was enough to bother him.

The two trotted down the street, with Twilight following behind, scribbling on her sheet of parchment, to find a vacant town center. Save a few other ponies, it was if the place was deserted.

"Oh dear me, it seems that all of the shops are closed due to the rain. I understand that it is raining and many places in the marketplace would have to close, but this is very troublesome for me," Rarity stated, turning her head to look at Spike.

"Why's that?" the dragon asked.

"My order is already approaching a deadline and it would be just awful if I am unable to get it done in time. I do have a reputation to keep up in the fashion world," Rarity's voice was slightly crestfallen.

Spike gripped the umbrella's handle tightly as he offered words of encouragement, "I know you will get it done in time, Rarity! I mean, you're you! You have one of the most awesome fashion shops in all of Ponyville, if not Equestria! And if you ever need help for any of your orders, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you out! Well, as long as it is okay with Twilight, though."

After hearing his rallying speech, Rarity couldn't help but giggle slightly, "Well then, thank you very much for believing in me, Spike. With words like that, how can I not do well?"

"I mean every word, Rarity!" Spike proudly stated, still shielding her from the falling rain, getting drenched himself as he stood in the rain.

"Oh, Spike, you are quite the gentlecolt," Rarity smiled as she leaned in to give him a small peck on his forehead. This caused the dragon's face to become flushed a bright red which led to Rarity giggling again.

Just within hearing distance, Twilight finished taking notes between the two. "I think I should make my way elsewhere and leave those two be for now," she softly spoke to herself with a small smirk. She then began to trot to the edge of town towards Sweet Apple Acres, "I'm sure others will be out today despite the rain."