• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 42,136 Views, 4,273 Comments

The Golden Armor - Comet Burst



Comet and Angel are two guard recruits who learn about life and love in Canterlot Castle.

  • ...
113
 4,273
 42,136

Relaxation, Bat Pony Style

Angel contently sighed as she relaxed in the salt water bath. The warm water was soaking through her skin and soothing the long stiff muscles she had repeatedly used in Basic Training. However, a loud yelp broke her tranquility and she opened one eye. Comet was at the other end of the room laying flat on a bed while a pegasus mare pounded her hooves into his back.

Comet's face was contorted into a weird mixture of happy relief and excruciating pain. The mare was being gentle at the start, but a certain knot of extremely tense muscles that wouldn't go away had caused her to go forgo the normal massage. Angel giggled to herself at the sight and leaned back against the headrest.

The spa had been pretty empty when Comet and Angel arrived. The two were immediately upgraded to the advanced treatment upon the ponies learning they were Royal Guards and the day had just gone on like that. Angel was pampered beyond what she considered a day at the spa. She got a pedicure, a massage and a hot salt water bath. Comet got an elongated massage session since the spa was really meant for mares only. He had wanted to leave when he found that out, but Angel pleaded with him enough to make him stay. Plus, she had his bits bag and shed some fake tears as well.

Angel sighed again and tried to relax, but another loud shriek stirred her. The funny thing was, the shriek wasn't from Comet. The mare who was giving him a massage had apparently twisted her hoof on his back. Comet spent the rest of the time outside even though the staff said it was alright he could stay in.

While outside, Comet focused on his training, ignoring the now painfully obvious lump on his back, while Angel finished her spa session. He focused on keeping his face straight and eyes forward and found it was an easy thing for him to do. The whole sea of technicolored ponies before him simply disappeared as he focused. Despite having Angel constantly pestering him, he did enjoy the practice he got while ignoring her.

Comet lost track of time quickly, but soon Angel's voice was thanking the staff and the door opened. Angel trotted out and looked at Comet. Sitting there, he looked almost surreal. His orange coat gleamed in the sunlight and his mane carelessly jumped about with the gentle breeze. His blazing red eyes focused forward on nothing and didn't even twitch.

That was when, after two months, Angel finally noticed his cutie mark. It was a gray rock with a streak of white trailing it and a couple of starbursts around it. It struck Angel as odd she never noticed it before, but then again, she had never actually looked. Unsure why, her gaze followed Comet's muscular chest up to his stoic face. Something was different about him today.

Shaking her head, she licked her pristine hoof and stuck it in Comet's ear. His expressionless face contorted into a look of shock and he smacked her hoof away.

"For Celestia's sake, Angel! Why'd you do that?!" he shouted.

Angel found the timeless humor in his face and started laughing. He was still the same Comet Burst she was friends with, even when he was trying to be serious. The two trotted off with Angel still laughing and Comet rubbing his ear. It was a little after midday by then and the two went to a restaurant for lunch. Comet had just wanted to get a couple carrots from a vendor, but Angel insisted on going to a nice place. Realizing he wasn't going to win, Comet agreed and was now staring at a menu full of strangely named dishes.

Angel excitedly rattled off things that looked good. Interestingly enough, Comet noticed they all involved fruit. After they had gotten their drinks, water for Comet and cherry lemonade for Angel, Comet attempted to start a conversation.

"So, you really like fruits, huh?" he asked dumbly.

"Well of course I do!" Angel said, "It's a bat pony thing."

"Really?" said Comet, "So you're all like fruit bats instead of vampire bats?"

Angel rolled her eyes and said, "I don't know where anypony got that silly idea. Bat ponies don't drink blood anymore than normal ponies do."

"Maybe it's from those fangs of yours?" Comet suggested with a hint of a grin.

"My fangs are for biting fruit, not pony necks!" Angel almost shouted. She suddenly knew Comet was trying to rile her up, so she gave him a smug smile. Comet noticed and she said, "Unless, of course, a certain stallion is into that."

Comet just closed his eyes and shook his head, repressing a laugh but not a grin. That was typical Angel, turning his own prank on him. She had a knack for doing that to him, something he found almost endearing. It almost reminded him of a mare he used to like. She was intelligent as well. Comet's thoughts paused there. Did he just think Angel was intelligent? He mentally slapped himself for such a notion. She was annoying, loud and childish.

But there was a certain appeal to that, though. He was having fun with her, something he thought impossible. She had been by his side for two full months now and had annoyed him every step of the way, but he found it strangely reassuring. He enjoyed her company, particularly when she was serious. Not to mention under Luna's moon, she wasn't half bad looking. Her golden eyes were easy to stare at and her sincere smile had the effect of catching Comet's attention, even when he was in his guard mode. All in all, Comet admitted to himself Angel wasn't such a bad pony. She was loyal and friendly and even kinda cute.

Wait, did he just think she was cute?!

While Comet mentally argued with himself, Angel happily sipped on her drink. Today was so far a great day and she even suspected Comet was enjoying it too. Upon looking around, she realized many ponies were staring at them. Several mares in particular shook their heads and whispered to another pony. Angel thought it was odd, but her excellent bat hearing, which was not worth mentioning until now, picked up one of the whispers.

"Oh my, she's so lucky to be with him!" one mare whispered.

Angel twitched her ear and suddenly realized what this looked like. She was on a date with Comet. The whole situation crashed on top of her and she knew she was the envy of all the mares here. Tall, handsome stallions were a rare commodity in a city like Canterlot and she had one sitting at a table with her.

Grinning to herself, she said, "You know, I never asked. Are you single?"

Comet, who had just been arguing with himself, suddenly turned bright red and said, "You already know the answer to that, Angel," before burying his face into the menu.

The rest of the day was spent looking at shops and Comet paying for two broken vases. Even though he had spent most of his bits and Angel hadn't paid for anything, Comet had actually enjoyed the day. He smiled a lot more than Angel had ever seen, and she liked it. 'He is such a nice stallion and any mare would be lucky to land him,' Angel thought to herself as they trotted back to the castle. The day was almost over and they both had to restart training tomorrow. Upon reaching the barracks, Angel stopped Comet.

"Hey, I wanted to let you know, today was really fun," she said and gave him a sincere smile.

Comet felt himself blush and said, "Yeah, I had lots of fun too."

Without warning, their eyes locked and Comet found nothing to say. Angel's eyes were easy to stare at, at least for him, and soon she was less than a few inches away. Comet was unsure of what was going to happen when she suddenly headbutted him. He recoiled back and Angel laughed. Now officially annoyed, he rubbed his nose and narrowed his eyes at her.

"Goodnight, Comet!" she squealed happily and trotted off into the barracks.

Grumbling to himself, Comet followed her in and went to bed. As he lay there, he thought of the day and couldn't help a smile. Maybe Angel was starting to grow on him.

Angel lay in her bed above Comet, unsure of what she was thinking. Here was a friend who just so happened to be the envy of mares she didn't know and he was all hers for the day. She felt warm and fuzzy as she thought about Comet.

Any mare would be lucky to have him.