• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 42,133 Views, 4,273 Comments

The Golden Armor - Comet Burst



Comet and Angel are two guard recruits who learn about life and love in Canterlot Castle.

  • ...
113
 4,273
 42,133

Parental Control

Sometimes life doesn't work out. Sometimes, it just seems to take any situation and make it ten times worse. Take the letter Comet received, for instance. The letter was written on parchment made from a cheap material so the manufacturer could make a seven bit profit on each piece in bulk. The inferior material therefore made it taste like an old sock wrapped in a smelly shoe. The local mailmare in San Pranscico took the letter from Mangrove, Comet's mother, about a week ago and made the mistake to trying to talk with it in her mouth. The nasty taste caused her to spit out the letter so she could throw up, and as such the letter was blown away. She gave chase after it and finally caught it twenty minutes later. However, she was now late delivering the mail, so she stuffed it into her bag.

So it stayed there. For two days. The mailmare had completely forgotten about the letter in her rush to deliver the mail and found it two days later when she accidentally delivered it to the wrong pony. When the letter finally reached the post office to be sent to Canterlot, the dejected mail sorter had just broken up with his long time marefriend because he was too afraid to pop the question and threw it into the non priority mail. There it sat in a bag as he cried in the corner, waiting for Comet to finally read it.

Two more days later, the bag containing the letter was moved onto a train bound for Canterlot, ironically the same one Mangrove and Sun Storm were on. The couple, blissfully unaware of their son not receiving the letter, chattered away about how much they wanted to see Comet in his guard armor. Mangrove also speculated that perhaps Comet had found a nice mare to be with and though Sun Storm agreed externally, internally he was think about what to say to Comet about mares. His son, who Sun Storm was as proud to have as could be, was inexperienced in dealing with mares and he hoped he wouldn't reach Canterlot to find his son married or with a foal prepping to be born.

The train arrived three days later on time, a first for the letter's brief existence. As the passengers, including Mangrove and Sun Storm, departed, the bag the letter was in was carefully unloaded. By carefully, I mean taken out and thrown into a wagon. A few letters spilled out, but luckily not Comet's. Upon reaching the post office in Canterlot, Mangrove and Sun Storm were admiring the city's many shops. The letter was organized into the Royal Guard pile by a disgruntled pony who complained the other post offices should at least organize the mail for him. When it was all sorted, the letter was magically transported, along with forty others, to Canterlot Castle. There, a staff member of the castle took her time organizing them, giving Mangrove and Sun Storm enough time to reach the castle and pass a security inspection. As they were led to the relaxation room, the letter was finally sent away to Comet, who shouted just as his parents reached the door.


Comet stared intently at the letter while Angel and Valyrie cracked huge grins. They were finally going to meet Comet's parents? Angel thought of all the fun they would be while Valyrie thought of what would make a good impression. They didn't get much time, though, since the door swung open to reveal a unicorn guard with a bright green earth pony mare and a tall and cool looking yellow pegasus. Comet spun around to see who it was and his pupils instantly shrunk to pinholes. "Mom? Dad? You're here?!" he asked in a shocked voice.

"Well hello to you too, Comet," the yellow pegasus spoke up. He gave a skeptical look to the orange pegasus, but his lovely green wife squealed happily and charged him. Comet managed a small yelp of surprise and the green mare hugged him tightly while planting about three kisses on his cheek. Comet panicked and frantically attempted to push her away before any more damage could be done, but hysterical laughing broke out from the other side of the room. Sun Storm looked over to see a set of gray hooves up in the air, kicking about wildly and a feathered pony's head buried into the table, pounding what looked like a claw onto it.

"Oh, my sweet pie, I missed you so much!" Mangrove cried as she squeezed Comet tighter, "It's been so quiet around the house without you there. I was even cleaning your old room and started crying when I found your old stuffed alicorn from our first family vacation!"

"Mom!" Comet shouted in a mixture of dread and fear. Angel and Valyrie started laughing even harder, but Mangrove continued.

"Oh, do you remember the first time you said you wanted to be a guard? You were only just a little colt and ran around the neighborhood, trying to stop littering and bullying! You came home covered in garbage. Now look at you, a full member of the Royal Guard! Wait 'til they see you back home!" she reminisced. A look of utter horror crept across Comet's face and Sun Storm decided it was best to intervene before Mangrove listed something really bad.

"Mangrove, I think you should-"

"Oh and that time we went to-"

"Mangrove."

"-you were so bent of getting a guard cutie mark-"

"Mangrove!"

"-you accidentally picked up the wrong sword and-"

"Mangrove!"

"-had to get your teeth fixed-"

"MANGROVE!"

The brilliantly colored green mare turned a confused face to the yellow pegasus and he cleared his throat before nodding forward. She spun her head again and finally noticed two sets of golden eyes watch her eagerly. One was clearly a gryffon due to the feathers and beak, but the other one had small fangs poking out from under her upper lip and an adorable look on her, Mangrove guessed it was a her, face.

Mangrove's eyes widened just like Comet's usually did and she gave a louder squeal. Her son was spending time with mares?! Unbridled excitement coursed through her body as she let go of Comet in favor of this new pony, whose face of glee quickly melted into one of fear. Sun Storm planted his hoof into his face as apparently his wife had not gotten the cue to stop.

She tackled Angel as well into a rather large hug and Valyrie started to laugh again. However, Valyrie soon learned that was the wrong thing to do, because when Mangrove heard her girly laugh, she realized the gryffon was a mare too and brought her into the hug. "My son had two friends now?!" she almost shouted happily, "I must be dreaming! Here I thought he'd only have one stallion for a friend, but he has two mares! I'm the happiest mother in the world right now!" She squeezed tighter on Angel and Valyrie, causing them to lose their breath. Valyrie struggled to get away from the crazy green mare, but Angel somehow managed a grin.

"Yeah, Comet and I have been friends since day one!" she stated happily, "Valyrie here just joined out circle."

It took two minutes of Comet and Sun Storm prying away at Mangrove's legs to finally release Angel and Valyrie. The two stallions apologized a lot to the bat pony and gryffon, but Angel didn't seem to care. Once the stallions managed to calm Mangrove down, the two mares finally got to introduce themselves. Mangrove instantly warmed up to Angel due to her bubbly personality, but Valyrie shied away, preferring to stand close to Comet like a scared animal. Sun Storm, Comet's father, trotted over and said, "So, son. Two friends now, huh?"

Comet gulped as Valyrie leaned in closer to him, clearly afraid of what Sun Storm would do, and he managed an awkward smile. "Uh, yeah, dad. They're really nice, especially Valyrie here." He gave the gryffon at his side a little push and she looked up at the yellow pegasus nervously.

"Uh, hi. I'm Valyrie," was all she managed to blurt out.

Sun Storm smiled warmly to her and held out a hoof, saying, "The name's Sun Storm. If you can't guess by now, I'm Comet's father." Valyrie reached out tentatively with a claw and Sun gave a small laugh. "Don't be shy. I'm not going to hug you or invade your personal space," he said brightly. Valyrie took his hoof and shook it before quickly returning it back to herself. She looked up at Comet, who smiled back gently and started to blush.

"I've, uh, got something I need to do," she stated quickly while looking away from him, "I'll be back." She walked off to the door and left a very confused looking Comet with a smirking Sun Storm.

"Wow, son," Sun Storm mused, "I didn't know you were a hot commodity among the gryffon mares."

Comet blushed furiously at that statement and said, "She's just a friend, dad."

"You know, that's how me and your mother met. We were just friends too," Sun Storm said with a playful hint in his voice. Comet shook his head, forcing the blush to go away and looked up at his father.

"It's not like that, dad," he said plainly and Sun Storm shrugged.

"Hey, she's waiting on you to make a move, my boy. If you like her, don't wait too long or she'll get bored," he said before letting the subject drop. He was very happy for his son to have a mare like him, even if she was a gryffon. As the two trotted over to an animated discussion between Angel and Mangrove, Sun mused at the idea of possibly having a gryffon for a filly-in-law. Mangrove had always wanted grandfoals, but could a pony and a gryffon even have a foal? Sun shrugged the thought off for another time as Comet cleared his throat, catching both Angel and Mangrove's attention.

"So, Angel, it appears you've met my mother. This is my dad, Sun Storm," he stated with apprehension in his voice. Sun beamed brightly and held out a hoof.

"Pleased to meet 'cha," he stated nicely.

"Oh. My. Celestia! This is so cool!" Angel shouted excitedly, "I never thought I'd meet both of his parents! You two are so cool and..." Angel began to ramble as she excitedly looked over Sun Storm. Mangrove seized the opportunity to trot over to Comet and give him a gentle motherly hug.

"So, how's my little Comet?" she asked in her sweet voice. Comet simply smiled in return and Mangrove gave her own. "I'm so proud of you for making it in. I always knew you'd be a guard, even after-"

"Mom, don't talk about that, please," Comet stated quickly.

"Oh, right. I just wish she was here to see you. She'd be just as happy as I am," Mangrove said with a hint of sadness in her voice. Comet's smile turned into a small scowl as he thought about her. She really would've been happy to see him like this.

Pushing that thought out and wanting to change the subject, Comet said, "So, what do you think of Angel?"

Mangrove's eyes widened dramatically and a huge grin split her face. "Oh, she is just a doll!" Mangrove stated excitedly, "She's so fun and energetic, just the kind of mare I think you need. Not to mention she's adorable as well." Comet grinned awkwardly and rubbed his mane with a hoof as his mother continued, hoping to Celestia Angel wasn't able to hear this. "She's a bat pony to boot. I'm really impressed you found a mare like her. Have you taken her out on a date yet?"

"Uh, that would be a no," Comet said flatly.

"Oh, then you really should. She's so adorable, I'm sure there are other stallions here just drooling over her," Mangrove happily mused.

"It doesn't work that way, mom," Comet said in a pleading tone. He really wanted her to stop before Angel could hear the conversation.

"Oh, do you have something special planned?" Mangrove asked with a sparkle in her eyes.

"What do you have planned?" Angel said, sticking her head in a little too close to Comet. His eyes shrunk horribly and Mangrove smiled.

"Why, a date, of course!" she stated brightly.

Angel froze, staring at Comet with her big golden eyes. His face was locked into a scared expression and behind the three ponies, Sun Storm buried his face into his hoof. Mangrove was a very forward mare, often projecting her own wishes upon Comet. Now she had just put Comet between a rock and a hard place. A huge grin so big, Comet was amazed it fit, spread across Angel's face and she tackle hugged him. "You were going to ask me on a date?!" she nearly shouted in his ear, "Oh my Celestia, Comet! Why didn't you ask me sooner? Of course I would love to go on a date!"

Outside the room, Valyrie paused. She had thought she'd overheard something about a date between Comet and Angel, but she shook her head and trotted off. While she'd never admit it out loud, Mangrove actually kinda scared her. However, it wasn't long after she started trotting away that an odd thought popped into her mind, one of she and Comet on a date. Valyrie laughed at the notion, but noted how nice the idea felt.

Inside Comet's mind, he was yelling in frustration. Sure he thought Angel was cute, but this isn't how he wanted to ask her out. He was still fighting with himself about Angel or Valyrie, so taking Angel out on a date before he was absolutely sure made things a whole lot more messy. I mean, yeah Angel outclassed Valyrie at almost everything, especially the cute factor, but he wanted his first date to be special. Having his mother set him up with his best friend was not special in any way.

But still, Angel was cute, and sweet, and nice, and cute. Comet cracked a small grin at the bat pony who smiled as brightly as she could. Maybe going on a date with her wouldn't be so bad.

In Angel's mind, she was simply throwing the biggest party she could imagine. The stallion she had a huge crush on just asked her out on a date. Maybe she could have him after all.