• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 42,140 Views, 4,273 Comments

The Golden Armor - Comet Burst



Comet and Angel are two guard recruits who learn about life and love in Canterlot Castle.

  • ...
113
 4,273
 42,140

Conflicts, Conflicts Everywhere

The first thing Angel noticed upon entering Shining Armor's office was how still it was. His desk sat all along, covered in papers of various scribbles, along with a mostly melted candle and a picture of two mares, one lavender and small and one bright pink. Angel assumed the bright pink one was his wife she was currently scouting the room for. Plaques and small trophies littered the wall behind the desk, offering commendation for exceptional service, exemplary behavior, Honor Roll and even Varsity Hoofball MVP.

Angel found it kind of funny as she went to examine the trophies that one of them, the exceptional service one, was from the famous fast food chain Sandwich Queen. There was also a picture of Shining standing proudly in his red officer jacket and Princess Cadance in her beautiful white dress.

Suddenly, the sound of hoof falls echoed over to Angel and she spun around. Three ponies all dressed in black were standing around the desk. Angel narrowed her eyes and whispered, "Ninja ponies. We meet again." Before anypony had time to blink, the three ninjas moved in on Angel, who was reacting accordingly. She leaned back and dodged a small silver shuriken as it spun by her head and buried itself into the wall. Angel swept a hoof out and caught one of the ninjas in the leg, causing him to fall over while the other two bored down on her. Angel quickly retracted the hoof and slid under Shining's desk as the two ninjas landed.

They made the mistake of spinning around to see her and she tackled one of them into the trophy wall. The ninja was stunned just long enough for Angel to deliver both rear legs to the face of the third. With one flying away, one in her grip and the other just now getting to his hooves, Angel had the advantage. She grabbed a large trophy of Shining's and stuffed it onto the head of the ninja she was holding on to, and then smashed her right front forehoof into the side of it. The trophy dented slightly, but range out a nice clear note loud enough to hurt the ninja's ears. She didn't even hesitate to throw the ninja into his friend who was staring at her, unsure of what to do. The two collided and fell to the floor.

Angel spun around and just barely dodged a hoof to the face. She leaned to her left to avoid the other hoof and countered with a kick. She landed right in the ninja's gut and he doubled over. She gave a quick spin to gain momentum and landed a particularly nasty hoof to the face, sending the ninja back into the wall. She spun around again to see the one ninja struggling to pull the trophy off of his head and the other trying to push him off. Angel ran to them and threw the trophy headed one into the wall of trophies again. The one on his head range out loud again as he struck the stone wall and the ninja collapsed.

Angel stopped and stared at the final ninja, who jumped up to his hooves. "Who sent you? Where's the captain?" Angel growled to him. The ninja responded by dropping a smoke pellet that caused Angel to cough. She cursed herself for being a bat pony then, as they were sensitive to smoke and dust, which is why they preferred damp caves. Once the smoke cleared, the ninja was gone. Angel stood there proudly and knew that she would not rest until she figured out what happened to her superior officer, the great Shining Armor.

At least, that's what she thought should've happend.

She had somehow thought up that whole scenario in the four seconds it took her to push open the door for Princess Cadance. Inside the room, Shining sat behind his desk, shuffling papers. A set of regal golden armor Angel had never seen sat in the corner on a ponyquinn. Four pictures sat on the wall behind him, one of him in the armor looking awesome, one of a brilliantly blue unicorn smiling with a pretty white mare unicorn who had streaks of purple in her mane along with a younger version of Shining and a small lavender filly. One was of both Shining and Cadance on their wedding day and a final one with the two of them overlooking a town from the balcony of a castle.

He looked up and smiled to Angel and said, "Oh, Angel! Just who I was looking for, please come in."

Angel gave an awkward smile and stepped aside, allowing Princess Cadance to stride in gracefully. "What about me?" she asked in a hurt tone. Shining immediately got out from behind his desk and trotted up to her.

"You never need permission to see me," he stated with a hint of playfulness in his voice. Cadance giggled sweetly and rubbed her nose against Shining's. Angel felt a little awkward standing there and Shining looked at her. "Oh yes! Angel, I have a special assignment for you. My wife, Princess Cadance," he started.

"Hi," Princess Cadance chimed in, waving a hoof at Angel.

"She wants to go into town tomorrow night to get to know the ponies in Canterlot better. I thought you'd be a perfect escort for her due to your amazing social skills," he stated.

Angel's eyes grew wide as she stared at the two ponies. She was being asked to guard the princess of love now? Angel cracked a huge grin. Sure, she liked watching Philomena, but how could she pass on that offer?

"Private Angel accepts this assignment, sir!" she almost yelled happily and gave a salute.

Shining nodded to her happily and Cadance smiled. "I'm sure you'll do fine, miss... Um, I'm afraid I don't know your last name," Cadance said, her nice smile turning into an awkward grin.

"Beats, ma'am! Private Angel Beats, but everypony just calls me Angel," the bat pony responded enthusiastically.

"Ah, okay! Angel, er, Miss Beats. I'm sure you'll do fine," Cadance said, her smile returning to one of happiness instead of awkwardness.

"Then it's settled. Report to my quarters tomorrow at seventeen hundred hours and I will brief you on the assignment. I would do it now, but I've got some more, uh, pressing issues on my plate," Shining said in his best official tone.

Angel saluted happily and trotted out the door. It shut, leaving Cadance and Shining alone and Cadance turned a sly grin to Shining.

"Pressing matters, huh?" she asked sarcastically.

Shining shrugged and said, "Hey, it worked when I was dating you." Cadance gave her sweet laugh that Shining could listen to all day and planted a soft kiss on him.

"It doesn't matter. Being around my husband is a most pressing matter," she cooed to him.


Up in the tall tower, Philomena cawed unhappily. Her guards were stiff and mean, ignoring the proud phoenix as she tried to play with them. She missed that one guard who had played with her, that one with really big golden eyes. Philomena was almost a thousand years old, but that didn't mean she didn't like to play. Being in a stuffy tower, stuck on a perch for days was really boring, not to mention Celestia was almost always too busy to see her phoenix. Philomena pecked at the perch she stood on and scanned the room again. Same guards, same place, same faces they had for the past four hours. She cawed loudly in frustration, hoping that guard would return soon.


As for Valyrie and Comet, the two sat down at a table and Valyrie made the attempt to teach Comet how to play Prodder. He was a quick learner, but he often forgot what the hooves were. He held out four nines and two princes and smiled proudly. "Straight flush!" he stated proudly and Valyrie buried her face into her claw.

"That's a Full House, and you're supposed to have only five cards," she repeated for the tenth time.

Comet looked back to his hoof scowled. "This game is too complicated," he mumbled to himself. He thought he was learning the game, but all he was really doing was annoying Valyrie. Cards were not Comet's strong suit since he had played board games when he was a colt. In fact...

"I've got it!" Comet shouted abruptly, startling the gryffon. He jumped up and dashed off to find something, leaving a bewildered looking Valyrie alone. She sighed and started gathering up the cards, humming a song to herself.

It took Comet a couple minutes, but he returned happily with a box in his mouth. He set it down on the table and Valyrie peered at it. "Checkers?" she asked out loud and Comet beamed.

"Yup! It's a fun game. It uses a lot of strategy and requires some trickery, like Prodder!" he said with a smile. Valyrie looked up at the oddball stallion and found herself starting to blush. She looked away and agreed to play.

After about half an hour, Valyrie was staring at the multicolored board of alternating red and black squares, intent on winning. Comet had two kings and three regular pieces left, but Valyrie had a single king of her own and five regular pieces. This game was intense as Valyrie thought of possible moves and their outcomes. Her king was back against Comet's side of the board, blocked by two of his normal pieces. His kings were in prime location to take most of her five remaining pieces, but she moved one anyway. Comet promptly jumped her piece, then another and another.

"Hey, that's not fair!" Valyrie shouted.

"As a king, I can take multiple pieces if they are within jumping distance from each other," Comet stated proudly. He had explained the rules beforehoof, but Valyrie must've not been paying attention. Valyrie grumbled to herself and looked back to the board. She was now down to one king and two normal pieces, but they were too far away from each other. Comet's pieces, however, had formed a nice line with her king near the far side. Valyrie studied the formation for a minute while Comet leaned back, stretching his spine. He was sure he was going to win.

Valyrie suddenly saw a pattern to his pieces and grinned to herself. She reached out, took her king and jumped one of the blocking pieces, then one of his kings, then another normal piece and then his other king.

She looked up and grinned evily to Comet and said, "Gotcha."

Comet looked down to see her make her move and watched as his pieces were wiped off the board. His eyes widened to the size of dinner plates as she removed his black tokens and he was left with one lone one on his side of the board. Valyrie leaned back as well and clicked her claws together, smiling smugly to Comet. Comet, for his part, was rendered speechless by her move.

It really didn't matter though, since Angel busted through the door and jumped around on the table, singing happily about an important assignment. After five minutes of that, she noticed Comet and Valyrie's game and wanted to play. The final score was Valyrie winning with seven victories, Angel with five and Comet with two. He sat there dejectedly as Angel and Valyrie rambled on about their victories. He was slightly mad at losing so much, but he wasn't going to be a poor sport. In fact, he was actually impressed both Valyrie and Angel had beaten him like that. They both were smart, really smart. Comet liked that in mares and found himself debating in his mind about who was cuter on his scale. Angel, the ever loving bat pony who spent a nice day snuggled up next to him, or Valyrie, the gryffon who was kind enough to apologize about being foolish and had a great personality.

Honestly, Comet thought they both had nice features. Angel had those eyes and the figure to match, since he had stolen a glance back in Basic he never forgave himself for doing. She was also his friend and had even opened up some of her personal information to him. Valyrie, on the other hand, was like a puzzle he had to solve. She revealed very little about herself, but that wasn't a bad thing. It kept him guessing about her. With his mind at war with itself about the two sitting at the table with him, he barely noticed a letter magically appear in front of him. Angel and Valyrie, though, did.

They both grabbed for it and soon Comet was trying to pry his own letter from a black claw and a gray hoof. It took some time, but he eventually did. He opened the letter and read it to himself. Valyrie and Angel watched with mild interest as his face grew from a stoic look to one of shock.

"MY PARENTS ARE COMING HERE?!" he shouted.