• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 25,041 Views, 2,849 Comments

Stallions on Strike! - Aegis Shield



The stallions of Ponyville are tired of being second class citizens and doing all the hard work! Down with the mare!

  • ...
101
 2,849
 25,041

Shining Armor's Shrugging

Stallions on Strike
Part 7: Shining Armor’s Shrug

“Madam Mayor Mare has already sent for a royal petition scroll.” Celestia said conversationally. The alicorn herd was resting, all members accounted for, in their private chambers. Cadance was draped over a couch in front of the hearth, Luna was frowning over a newspaper, and Shining Armor was leaning to put another log on the fire. “Petition scrolls are enchanted so that you really can get the twenty-five thousand signatures on them. They extend, retract, and keep a tally of all the names signed to them.” The milky alicorn touched her chin in thought. “I’ve not actually entertained a petition since Nightmare Night was invented. Huh.”

“Was that done by petition?” Luna said with interest, looking up. “I wondered how that holiday manifested while I was away on the moon.” She smiled at Shining Armor as he found a seat by the fire’s warmth. “Twenty-five thousand ponies got together to make it so?”

“That’s right.” Celestia chuckled. “They missed you, they just didn’t understand you. But, it’s the law to consider the requests of enough voices raised under the same banner.” She folded her wings to her sides, reaching for Luna’s paper when she was done with it. As it had been for the past two weeks, the Stallions on Strike (or “S.o.S.” for short) dominated the front page of the Canterlot Caller. “I have a feeling we’ll be meeting these ponies very soon.” She murmured, scanning down the article.

“Pfft. An unseemly rabble!” Luna snorted with disapproval. “If the citizens of Ponyville took good care of their stallions, there would be no such rebellion like this.” She gestured to Shining Armor with a grand smile. “Our own stallion has never made a peep of unhappiness since he joined our herd. He is fed and watered and loved very much! Allowed to do as he pleases within reason!”

Shining Armor smiled embarrassedly. “Well, I’m not a dog you know.” He laughed a little. “It’s probably different for them since, well, their herds aren’t made up of Princesses.” He looked to Cadance for help.

The pink alicorn turned over, resting on her belly to speak. “I agree. Money and such really isn’t a problem for us, but that’s not the point here.” She gestured when Celestia turned the page of the paper. A picture of the shouting stallions occupied a good portion of the front page, this time with a pile of straw and horseshoes burning in the background. “It’s a time of social change, I’d imagine.” She said carefully. “It always is.”

“I would not allow OUR stallion to romp around waving signs with obscenities on them, wearing no horseshoes and forsaking his guard captain duties!” Luna said. “Mares have their roles, and stallions theirs! It is not unfair, it is just how things are.” The night princess turned her nose up a little, regal and royal-looking. Cadance rolled her eyes. Luna was such a drama queen sometimes. “I do not think less of Shining Armor because of his gender!” she gestured to the white stallion, who bashfully hid his hooves under the lip of the blanket he was laying on. They’d risen from bed, but he’d not donned any horseshoes yet that day. “They are making problems where there are none.” Luna concluded, flopping onto a couch.

“Looks like they’ve chosen a spokespony.” Celestia said, her brow rising. “It’s King Sombra.”

“Sombra?! In Ponyville?!” Shining Armor gasped, leaping to his hooves. (All three alicorns’ eyes flicked downward for a split-second) “We’ve got to alert Twilie and the others!” He turned to rush for quill and paper, but the white alicorn stopped him.

“I think she knows.” Celestia smiled just a little, showing him the extension of the article inside the newspaper. The secondary picture showed a frowning King Sombra, and in the background was the Golden Oaks library… and in the window was a curious-faced Twilight Sparkle peering out at the scene. “If she’s not written to us in a panic yet, I imagine she has things well in-hoof.” said the Princess of the day.

“Another vote of non-interference, Tia?” Luna asked with a frown. “If they are mustering such numbers, will it not cause trouble for Ponyville? Especially with Sombra spear-heading the group?”

“I don’t think so.” Celestia said gently. “As long as they’re not looting and pillaging or waving pitchforks around, that is.” She chuckled, folding the paper and putting it aside. “Well, I must go. The Noonday Court will be beginning soon.” She stretched, going to the nearby vanity to put on her royal vestments.

“You are happy with us, yes?” Luna asked Shining directly when Celestia was gone. “You do not mean to throw off your horseshoes, grab a sign and join that rabble, do you?” she looked rather concerned for a moment.

Shining went and lay on the couch with Cadance, shaking his head. “No, I’m fine.” He promised. “I’ve got enough responsibilities as a captain of the royal guard, a husband, and other things. I don’t see me joining any social change movements anytime soon.” He touched Cadance’s side and she smiled, leaning to nuzzle him. “Speaking of!” his face suddenly turned startled. “I’m supposed to lead physical training this afternoon for my platoon!” he went rushing to the closet, and tumbled back out in his PT sweats. All three mares chuckled a little. He was so cute when he had mini-panics like that. Shining Armor paused on his way out the door, standing next to Celestia in front of the vanity mirror. He frowned at himself, turning sideways a little and cocking his head at his hips. “These sweats don’t make my flank look… y’know, fat, do they?” he looked up at the sun goddess. He couldn’t lead by example if his backside looked big!

“No, of course not.” Celestia smiled, kissing the top of his head.

“No, of course not.” echoed Cadance from the couch, laughing.

“Yes, and it looks glorious!” Luna said, gesturing with approval.

“Luna!” Shining Armor squawked angrily.

=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Sombra was working busily at a library studying table. His tail flicked a little as he frowned over his facts and figures. Ponyville was small, only twenty-six thousand citizens… and it was about to swell to twice that number. All the while, he was going to be the one giving voice to the angry rabble. Leaning over a map, he tried to find the best place to speak to a large group. The park was large. The town bordered Everfree. The fields between Ponyville and Appleoosia were vast… the fields were probably best. A small tent-town was already popping up there, and plenty of stallions had already settled nearby. The local economy was exploding with a demand for food, lodging, and other goods. Economically, Ponyville was being super-charged. But at the same time, all its resources were being quickly used up. It was not a large enough place to sustain such a population jump for very long. Sombra knew that if he was to lead them and be their voice, he would need to gather the numbers and proceed quickly before the town was torn to pieces from raw consumption.

Taking off his reading glasses, he rubbed the bridge of his muzzle a little. The black stallion ran a hoof through his mane a few times, thinking hard about ten different things. His social standing was high, but not positive. If he were to claim a victory here for all stallions, it would endear him in the heart of Equestria’s population. That was certainly a juicy reward for a pony that had just returned from the dark side of things. “Nargh-worg. Rawr.” He sighed, slumping back into his chair.

“Tired?” Twilight asked, coming over from her own study corner. Sombra nodded, looking over at her with a friendly, though fanged, smile. “King Sombra, can I ask you something?” The purple mare said. He nodded once, blinking curiously. “You see I… I want to go sign the petition. The one you and the other stallions on strike are making.” She said. He tilted his head. “I feel guilty for what I did to Snowflake, and I feel like it would be a good way to apologize.” She scuffed a hoof on the floor a few times, then looked up to find him looking at her carefully. Did she mean it? “Well, I mean, I have to apologize to his face, of course. But… it feels like that wouldn’t be enough.” She mumbled awkwardly. “After what happened between Spike and I, I feel like I should at least help a little bit.”

“Rawrgh-nargh-snargh.” Sombra said. He wasn’t hearing a question in this guilt-laden speech.

“What I mean is… I wanna ask if maybe you’d, y’know, come with me to the signing post?” Twilight Sparkle asked. “It’s at town hall, but, I’m not exactly in any stallion’s good graces right now. I’d feel a little better if I had somepony with me.” He fixed her with a dubious look, and there was a long silence. She hung her head. “And to make sure I don’t get jumped.” She finally admitted. He nodded, satisfied that the whole truth had come out. “So, will you?”

“Yargh.” He nodded, smiling. Her face lit up. He smiled a bit wider, turning and closing his notebooks. He stacked his things neatly, leaving them in the middle of the table. Adjusting his chestplate a bit he nodded and they were away.

Sombra and Twilight made their way across Ponyville at a brisk pace. Town Hall was a little crowded, but their goal was already in sight. On a pedestal in the middle of the great room was a red scroll. It hovered in midair, a golden quill and inkwell next to it. A royal petition, even the petition itself looked royal. As Twilight approached she could already see lots of signatures on it. Anypony that stopped by could sign it whenever they wanted, after all. Then, Twilight saw him.

Snowflake spotted Twilight and Sombra looked at him. He rubbed his nose with his foreleg, like he was seeing to an itch. Twilight hung her head a little. Sombra coughed a few times, nudging her. Side by side, they approached the muscle-bound stallion. “Yeahhhh?” he said frownily.

“Snowflake I… I’m so sorry.” Twilight said. She’d had a nice long speech rehearsed in her head, but it all seemed to have left her in the moment. “I am. I’m sorry. No mare should ever put her hooves or magic on a stallion like that.” She stared at his hooves, unable to look into his face. Sombra stood by silently, letting her speak. “I-I came to sign your group’s petition, to show my support. Can you forgive me?” she asked softly.


He shook his head no, frowning at her.


Twilight wilted, crushed. Forlorn, she turned away— moist in the eyes. Sombra scowled at Snowflake, but couldn’t really do anything about it. If he wanted to hold a grudge, that was his own business. (...Though deep down, even he understood that "I'm sorry" did not pay for a bloody nose) Twilight had come with guilt in her heart and apologized. That was good enough for him. “Rargh.” He told Twilight, touching her shoulder when they were halfway across the room.

“Uh?” Twilight asked softly, biting her bottom lip while she struggled not to cry. “Oh, the petition!” she turned quickly and made her way to the pedestal. “Equal pay, equal rights…” she mumbled down the contents of the document. It was only one page long, and very cut and dry when you really stopped to read it. It was calling for serious, radical social change, but at least the words were simple and not in legalese. Clearing her throat, she picked up the golden quill with her magic. Dipping it, she signed her name on one of the many blank lines. “There.” Twilight half-smiled, trying not to look at Snowflake as she turned to leave. The white pony’s accusing red eyes followed her out of Town Hall.

King Sombra followed her outside, gently putting a hoof on her shoulder. She looked at him. He smiled a little, patting her. Turning his head, he gestured a little. There was a café nearby, busy with eating, chattering and socializing ponies. Maybe if she sat and ate something she’d feel better?

“Nopony’s ever turned down my apology before.” Twilight sulked a little, but nodded. “Maybe some hay fries will be a good pick-me-up.” She brightened a little, and Sombra nodded. They went to an outside table, ordered their food and sat in relative silence for a bit.

Sombra pondered over the purple mare sitting with him. She seemed like a nice mare when they weren’t fighting over the fate of the Crystal Empire while evil gripped his heart— she just didn’t understand stallions was all. He found himself smirking just a little, sidling over to sit directly next to her. Twilight seemed lost in her own thoughts. “Wort-rawrgh-wargh.” He told her. Speaking at length, he put an arm around her shoulder. Stallions were complicated, sensitive creatures and a mare couldn’t just offer a plain old apology and expect to be forgiven for bodily harm. Sometimes, stallions just wanted to be mad for a while and there was no helping that. Snowflake would simmer down in the coming days, and then someday he might be more receptive to an apology.

“H-how do you know?” Twilight asked softly, daring to hope. He touched his chest, making a light gesture. He knew how stallion hearts worked. He had one, after all. The purple mare blushed when he leaned and quietly kissed her cheek. Poor thing, she just needed a nudge in the right direction. Twilight smiled bashfully.

=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Big Macintosh smiled, welcoming another small group of stallions as they came to the tent city outside of Ponyville. He was a stallion of few words, but it was only neighborly to say hullo when somepony had traveled several hundred miles to join your cause. He cantered about, smiling broadly and waving when he was waved at. He was roped into posing for a photo for a newspaper, asked for his autograph, and even hugged by a few fellow protestors. Over and over he was thanked for sparking the fire that was engulfing all of their hearts. All it had taken was one pony to say ‘Nope!’ to his mare oppressors, and the rest was history.

What he didn’t expect, however, was to run into Applejack in the middle of the protest camp. “Big Mac?” she said tentatively. He smiled and went to hug her. She hugged him back, albeit a little stiffly. “Granny Smith and Applebloom are getting’ worried about yah.” She took off her hat, looking at the ground to one side. “They wanna know when you’ll be comin’ home.” There was a certain humbleness in the orange mare’s voice, but she was too stubborn to voice it. Big Mac didn’t speak, but shrugged a bit. He honestly wasn’t sure. “Ah mean, it’s been two weeks of you runnin’ around with this rabble. Ah think ya’ll have made your point.” She stepped close and rested her cheek on his barrel-shaped chest. “Please come home?” she asked.

“Nope.” Big Mac mumbled, leaning to embrace her. There was more to do, and every-stallion was counting on him to see this through. He couldn’t just quit. Applejack sighed.

Big Mac turned his head, looking over at Sugar Cube Corner in the distance. Mr. Cake was emerging from inside. Pinkie and Mrs. Cake had seen him to the door. He kissed one, then the other. Mrs. Cake gave him a saddlebag full of food, and Pinkie gave him a brand new ‘equal rights!’ sign. Mr. Cake laughed, nodding and taking it. The mares waved fondly as he left his home, heading for the tent city to show his support. He wasn’t angry anymore, just doing his part.

“Hey Big Mac, we’re going for a run around the lake in the park, you wanna come?” A gaggle of stallions approached, bare-hoofed and smiling.

“Oh fer goodness sake!” Applejack went scarlet, shoving her face into her hat. “Cover them hooves!”

“Why? Are you loooooking?!” One of them laughed, waggling his hoof at her. There was wild laughter. Not one of the offending stallions was wearing his horseshoes, those rebellious deviants! Big Mac had to summon a lot of willpower not to laugh, patting his sister’s head. She was so shy when it came to stallions, poor thing. Well, maybe not shy. No, that wasn’t fair. Just not used to seeing a big group of stallions flashing their naked hooves at her. Sympathetic, Big Mac shook his head and led his sister away.

“I-Is it safe to look yet?” Applejack wanted to know.

“Yup.” Big Mac said kindly when they’d reached the edge of the encampment.

“Hey Applejack!” Rainbow Dash was pushing a cloud when she spotted the orange mare and her brother below. Setting it adrift, she swooped down and landed with a clop of hour hooves. “What’cha doing out here in tent city, huh?”

“Ah came to get mah brother, but he’s lost in this sea-uh-hooligans!” Applejack grumbled, putting her hat back atop her head. “Half of ‘em are runnin’ around bare-hoofed!”

“Hot.” smirked Rainbow Dash. Her eyes flicked down at Big Mac’s hooves, but he was still wearing his horseshoes. Darn. “He looks fine to me, I guess you came to make sure he was safe and stuff?”

“W-well I… I uh…” Applejack wilted with embarrassment. Big Mac arched his brow a little.

“What?” Rainbow Dash said a little aggressively at his look. “I know when to bow down to the superiority of the fairer sex!” she folded her arms with a grump. “Makes for a more peaceful Equestria, lemme tell you, knowin’ when to pick your battles with stallions!” she said to Applejack. “Besides, I kind'a like a stallion that knows what he wants and goes after it." she offered a respectful, confident tomboy of a smirk. Big Mac smiled. "When this petition thing is over and the peace is restored, maybe I can buy you dinner someplace. What do you think, big guy?” Rainbow flared her wings up flirtatiously, showing him her healthy wingspan. Much to her ego’s happiness, he flicked his gaze back and forth to admire her feathers for a fleeting moment. He nodded mutely, smiling.

“Oh no you don’t, Rainbow!” Applejack said tartly, scowling. “T’ain’t fair! Y'all remember what Twilight said when we became a herd! No pulling in another herdmate’s family members! That leaves one mare outta the romance an’ stuff!”

“Pfft.” Rainbow rolled her eyes, snapping her wings closed. “You want romance, you should go check out Sombra and Twilight. I saw him smooching her at a café table a few hours ago when I was on cloud detail.”

What?” Applejack blanched. Big Mac threw his head back and laughed thunderously.

"Fwahhhh! Down with the mare-dominated establishment!" Lyra went by in the background, bare-hooved and waving an angry sign. Nopony really noticed or cared that she wasn't wearing horseshoes. But hey, she was doing her best to do her part.



End of Part 7

Author's Note:

Discord confirmed to not be a part of this fic. :|

~Author