• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 25,044 Views, 2,849 Comments

Stallions on Strike! - Aegis Shield



The stallions of Ponyville are tired of being second class citizens and doing all the hard work! Down with the mare!

  • ...
101
 2,849
 25,044

Mr. Cake Crumbles

Stallions on Strike
Part 2: Mr. Cake Crumbles

Mr. Cake struggled along with three heavy sacks of cooking mix on his back. “Whew!” he let them slide off and onto a series of crates. He looked around, smiling happily that the store room was finally stocked and ready for the month. Hearts and Hooves day would be coming up soon, they would need to be ready. The knobby knee’d stallion checked his little clipboard after wiping his brow, checking off the last couple of boxes. His labors done, he sighed aloud.

Straightening his big striped bowtie and nodding to himself, he turned about and shut the door. “Still up, honey?” Mrs. Cake was leaning on the doorframe of the front room, smiling lovingly. “You can do some of that tomorrow, you know.”

“It’s okay, buttercup.” He smiled tiredly. “The more I do today, the less there is to do tomorrow.” He leaned and kissed her cheek as he went by, and she chuckled. Turning, she gave his tail a playful tug. He squawked, jittering away with a blushing laugh. “I’m gonna hit the shower, I’ll come to bed when I’m dry.” He told her, disappearing into the bathroom.

“Tell Pinkie Pie goodnight for me.” Mrs. Cake turned, trotting up the stairs to the bedroom. Checking briefly on the twins, she tossed the sheets back and clambered in. Heaving a great, content sigh at her soft bed, she lay staring at the ceiling for awhile. Ponyville often went to bed when it got dark, there was little reason to roam around the tiny village. Which, to be honest, was a great policy. I made sure everypony got enough rest every evening, and those that stayed up were usually doing relaxing things like reading, artwork, or lounging about in heavenly baths. Nopony was hard to please, that way. (Well, Twilight Sparkle aside, but that poor mare was always up at all hours studying.)

A short while later, there was a firm knocking on Sugarcube Corner’s front door. Mrs. Cake ignored it. They had a sign that said ‘closed’, that should’ve been enough. But no, the intruder kept on knocking. Growing annoyed after a time, she rose and went to see who it was. She passed the bathroom, cheekily peeking on her husband in the shower, and was smiling by the time she reached the door.

The pony at the door was Cheerilee, the school teacher. When the door opened, she smiled a bit. “Cup Cake, sorry to come see you so late, but I had to talk to you about something. It’s really important.”

“What’s the matter, Cheerilee?” she came outside, leaving the door open a crack.

“You know Big Macintosh, don’t you? The stallion from Sweet Apple Acres? He was picketing today, in the middle of the Ponyville Square!”

“Oh yes, he showed me one of his signs. Did he settle somewhere and make a spectacle of himself?” Mrs. Cake said, frowning a bit. The mares stepped off of the stoop so they could breathe a bit and not be mooshed together in the doorway.

“Well, he doesn’t talk much, so it’s hard for him to do something like that. But, I was a little concerned, you know.” Cheerilee said thoughtfully, scratching her head. “I saw him slap somepony from a distance, I think he really is upset about something at home. I’m not sure.” The teacher said thoughtfully, scratching her chin.

“Slapped somepony?” Mrs. Cake gasped, raising a hoof to her mouth.

“Yeah. I dunno where that came from. You don’t think he’s being… you know… abused at home, do you?” Cheerilee said worriedly. “I mean, I wasn’t close enough to hear the conversation, but he’s usually so docile and hardworking.”

“Ohh, that’s a good point.” Mrs. Cake pondered for a time. If a mare had done something bad enough to warrant a slap from a stallion, there was really no helping that. One might squeal for assault, but really you’d have to arrest every stallion alive if that was a criminal offense. Pfft. Still, it was worrisome. Both mares hmmm’d for a moment, thoughtfully frowning skyward as they tried to think.

“I was thinking maybe of buying him a small loaf of banana bread or something.” Cheerilee said. “I know he’s not joined a herd yet, and thought well… maybe he’s lonely or something?” The purple mare tilted her head at her friend.

“Well that’s true, he’s not in a herd. Maybe he just needs attention?” Cup Cake wondered aloud, scuffing her hoof on the ground a few times. “What about Twilight Sparkle’s herd? Five mares and no stallion, that has to be tough. Or maybe Vinyl Scratch’s Herd? I heard that they’d gotten a new stallion to move near here for the next couple of seasons.”

“He doesn’t like noise, though. The poor thing lives on a farm.” Cheerilee shook her head. They pondered for a time about setting up the barrel-chested crimson stallion up with somepony. If he was acting up and picketing and slapping ponies, clearly something needed attending to. “What about your herd, huhm? I know it’s just you and Carrot and Pinkie, but could you use another stallion?”

“Cheerilee! Hahaha!” Mrs. Cake had the decency to blush. More than one stallion to a herd, that was just silly! “It could be something else, we don’t even know what’s making him upset beyond what’s written on his signs. He can’t just NOT work or do a stallion’s job, it has to be something more than that.” There was another long pause of thoughtful staring at the sky. Luna had painted a wonderful band of stars across the northern horizon tonight, and it was nice to philosophize over. “Stallions are so complicated.” Grumbled Mrs. Cake with a smirk.

“Honey?” A small voice called from the doorway, making both mares turn. Mr. Cake, a towel over his head, was standing on the stoop. “Oh hey, Cheerilee. What brings you out here?”

“Go back inside sweetheart. We’re having mare talk.” Mrs. Cake went and kissed his cheek, herding the damp stallion back inside before he caught a cold. Poor thing, always thinking of her and nopony else. “I’ll come to bed in just a little bit, I promise.” She bade him, nuzzling briefly. Her husband smiled a bit, nodding and turning to go back to bed. It was only then that Mrs. Cake noticed he was wearing a pair of long, silken socks on his back legs. Bright orange, like his mane. “Oh.” Came out of her mouth before she could stop herself. He smirked over his shoulder, giving her a sultry look. One sock slipped from its tightness down around his ankle as he went up the stairs. Mrs. Cake smiled despite herself, watching his adorable tooshie. She turned to go back outside, but found Cheerilee standing in the doorway, smiling a little widely. “Eyes down here, Cheerilee.” She said a little possessively.

“Sorry, haha.” Cheerilee blushed, looking at the floor quickly. Mrs. Cake fixed her with a scowl. Cheerilee was NOT in line to be in the Cake herd, she shouldn’t have been eyeballing Carrot like that! Rude mare! “I didn’t mean to oogle.” She quickly added, tapping one hoof bashfully.

“Uh huh, yeah.” Mrs. Cake herded her back outside and shut the door meaningfully-firmly behind her. Standing out on the stoop with her again, she spoke. “Weren’t you and Big Macintosh a thing before? What happened?” she turned the conversation back to Big Mac.

“Love poison. Nothing real.” Cheerilee said sadly. “Not that I’d mind. He’s very strong, docile, and not bad looking either.” Both mares giggled a bit. “All the things I like in a stallion!”

“So? You didn’t want to maybe try for something there?” Mrs. Cake said, leaning on the door a bit. Cheerilee looked away shyly. “Oh, I see. Too much to handle, huhm?”

“Oh no no no, he’s out of my league.” Cheerilee said with a self-conscious little smile, shaking her head. “There is this local guard I’m kind of eyeing lately, though. His name is Steel Wing.” She giggled a bit.

“Ohhh, do tell.” Mrs. Cake smirked. The pair of them chatted for perhaps another half hour or so before parting. Mrs. Cake made plans to make a banana bread loaf for Big Mac, and that was that.

=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Mr. Cake rose early the next morning. He turned over and rather bashfully collecting his socks, the silken saddle, and little hat he’d worn for his wife the night before. It wasn’t as though he wore them for very long, but it was a little embarrassing the day after. Stuffing them quickly in a drawer he promised to wash them properly later. Leaning over his wife, who was still asleep, he stroked her mane a couple of times until her eyes fluttered. “Mornin’ honey.” He whispered. “Time to get up…” he leaned and kissed her lightly.

“Mhhhh-h-hh, coffee.” Mrs. Cake smooooched him, stroking his withers before rising and wobbling up onto her hooves.

“I’ll get that, you get a nice shower. I’ll get breakfast started, so don’t dawdle too long!” he said sweetly, nudging her towards the bathroom. Mrs. Cake smiled, sleepy-eyed. What would she do without her beautiful stallion in the mornings? No telling. As her husband scampered off to the kitchen, she cocked her head back. She could already hear Pinkie Pie moving about upstairs. The bubblegum pink mare would no doubt be down soon as well.

Later, Mr. Cake was setting the table when a flash of pink rubbed up against him. “Mornin’ Carrot!” Pinkie kissed his cheek, bouncing along until she found her spot at the table. Unlike his herd’s alpha mare, Pinkie was very much a morning pony and always seemed bright and alert in the earliest parts of the day.

Mr. Cake blushed and nodded, “Mornin’ Pinkie.” He took the moment to nuzzle over her withers, chuckling at the soft purr she made in response. When they parted he leaned to set a crisp blooming-carrot dish on the table. (it was like a blooming onion, but with a really, REALLY fat carrot) He checked the five different dipping sauces to make sure they weren’t frozen from being in the fridge overnight. They were perfect.

Mrs. Cake came in with the twins after a time, showered and more awake. Carrot brought her coffee, and the five of them shared breakfast. The twins were of course very messy, and the skinny stallion spent most of his time trying to make the little foals eat. He could only reach over now and again to grab a tiny carrot for himself, dip it in something and crunch noisily. The two mares, of course, finished much sooner. Without so much as a thank you, they were out of the dining room and off to do their morning routines, chatting animatedly. Just like every morning. He wouldn't mind rotating with them now and then, maybe THEY could feed the foals and do kitchen work, and HE could make a lovely velvet cake or something for the store's window display?

Mr. Cake sighed. He’d have to give the foals a bath, clean up the kitchen, put away left overs… eww there was a new stain on the edge of the table and nearby on the floor. Something must've dripped. His normal day of chores and such hadn’t even started yet, and already he had a list. Grumbling a bit, he kissed each foal on the head and wished his wife would help for once. He was always left in charge of such things, being a stallion and all, and the two mares in his herd were up front cooking up sweets. He wished he could make something nice. He wasn’t called Carrot Cake because of his scrubbing skills, or his ability to carry heavy sacks of flour on his back. He yearned to practice his art for once, but he couldn’t. He was just a stallion. Mr. Cake sighed, shaking his head and setting to work.

Perhaps twenty minutes passed, Carrot trying to get the foals to eat more of their breakfasts. They were fussy, but did eat thank goodness. “O-oh yes, he’s right back there, go ahead! I’m sure he could use some help, big guy.” he heard his wife say. Carrot perked when Big Macintosh leaned into the private kitchen. The big stallion cocked his head, surveying the scene. Destroyed, messy breakfast table, two sticky and fussy foals, wrinkled newspaper and half-consumed mug of coffee… it was a mess. Had they left it all to him? Disgraceful.

“Sorry about the mess.” Mr. Cake said, rather embarrassed at the state of things. “Early to rise, here at the Cake residence.” Big Mac worked his mouth a bit while the smaller stallion went back and forth to clean up after the other members of his household, frowning a bit. Hrm. He decided to help Carrot, if only to get the chance to converse with him for a bit. “Oh, thanks Big Mac!” he said when Big Mac grabbed a rag to help clean off the table with.

When the twin’s faces had been scrubbed of half their breakfast, the kitchen re-ordered nicely, and everything else cleaned up— Big Mac made his move. He went and stood beside the window over the sink, motioning for his friend to come over and look. When Carrot was standing next to him, he pushed the little curtain over. Taking a deep breath to speak a rare sentence, the crimson stallion spoke, “Ah gotta show you somethin’, lookit this…” he started pointing out everything he’d seen the day before.

Mr. Cake stood there, positively spellbound as Big Mac showed him everything that was wrong with the world. Wrong with the town he lived in. He'd felt it in his heart of hearts, but he'd never been brave enough to form the thoughts in his head, or question the status quo. Now, here was a big strong stallion shoving his nose in it, making him grasp it. The wool was pulled back from his eyes. “How… how did I not see? I thought it was just me... I thought I was the only one like this...” he whispered, slowly undoing his white apron and setting it on the counter next to him. He looked over at his friend, who nodded with a serious frown. Over the course of the next hour (while Carrot cleaned and arranged the store room for the day, of course), Big Mac recruited him to the cause.

It was nearly noon when Mrs. Cake was cuddling with the twins a bit-- she just happened to glance out the front window of Sugarcube Corner and jolted to a stop. “What the…?” Mr. Cake and Big Macintosh were outside holding picket signs. Stallions on Strike! Mrs. Cake narrowed her eyes angrily. Big Mac was NOT getting that banana bread now.



End of Part 2