• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 25,027 Views, 2,849 Comments

Stallions on Strike! - Aegis Shield



The stallions of Ponyville are tired of being second class citizens and doing all the hard work! Down with the mare!

  • ...
101
 2,849
 25,027

Fluttershy's Shipping

Stallions on Strike
Part 10: Fluttershy’s Shipping

Fluttershy cantered along the main strip of the market, looking around a little feverishly. Her saddlebag had a big, perfectly round bulge in it. Her expression was worried, her eyebrows all scrunched upward and her mouth in a neutral little pout. As she approached the library, she stopped to coach herself a bit.

It hadn’t taken Rainbow Dash long at all to report to the rest of her herd that she’d seen Sombra kissing Twilight’s cheek at the café. This, of course, set all four mares to conspire. Obviously, this meant Twilight had made a move on the black stallion and he’d been accepting. If the alpha mare made a move, it was up to the rest of her herd to provide support to net themselves a stallion. There had been some debate about Sombra himself, but everypony seemed to have her reasons. Rarity liked royalty, so she was set. His pedigree was marvelous, past history aside. Fluttershy was attracted to his language skills. He’d seemed so well-spoken when they’d been there at the sleepover, and she herself could speak feral (the animal tongue). Rainbow Dash had to admit he was pretty sexy-looking after some thought. If a stallion was strong enough to rule a kingdom on his own, she knew he had to be a pretty tough guy. Applejack was unsure and undecided, but then again she was still distracted trying to get Big Macintosh to come home from the S.o.S.

“Alright. You can do this.” Fluttershy murmured from behind her mane, taking a deep breath to steady herself. “Twilight is counting on me to help too. Our herd needs a stallion.” She nodded to herself as firmly as she could. King Sombra was not evil anymore, and Twilight obviously thought he might be a worthy addition to their herd. If that was the case, then it was up to all the mares involved to entice him to maybe stay. Though Twilight would spearhead the ‘romance’ bit for a while, Fluttershy could still bring him a gift to make their family unit look appealing to him. Clearing her throat, she started forward again. This time with purpose. She finally stood on the library stoop and knocked gingerly.

It was Twilight that came to the door, smiling. “Oh hey, Fluttershy. What brings you by?” she said, opening the door the rest of the way.

“Is uhm… is King Sombra here?” Fluttershy asked, hunching a little with her feeble voice. Twilight blinked at her, then stood aside and gestured.

On the far end of the room at one of the little workstation tables, the black stallion sat murmuring over texts and scrolls. Sombra glanced up when he felt eyes on himself, “Yargh-worgh.” He said politely, lifting a hoof in greeting before leaning over his work again. The twenty-five thousand signatures had been gathered, he was preparing for the meeting with the Princesses. A royal petition did not come to fruition very often, after all, it was very important.

Fluttershy hesitated on the threshold of the library door. “Oh. Uhm… he seems busy.” She said hurriedly, turning as though to leave.

“Actually he’s been at it for about six hours straight. I thought he might take a break by now but he’s not budging.” Twilight smiled a bit. “Spike says that’s how I get when I find something new to study.” She admitted, giggling. The purple mare turned, gesturing at Sombra. “Hey! Fluttershy’s here to see you!”

“Yergh erf?” Sombra said, looking up curiously. Taking off his half-moon reading glasses and stuffing them away, he cleared his throat a little. Twilight politely went to the other end of the library so they could chat… though it wasn’t far away, given that it was all one great-room full of books. Fluttershy approached rather bashfully, looking anywhere but him. He fixed her with his bizarre, smoky gaze and a neutral expression of mild curiosity. “Ee-ergh-snargh-worf-blar-rrrrrrrrrr-guffaw?” he said, scratching the back of his head a little awkwardly and looking to one side.

“Oh no, there’s no hard feelings.” Fluttershy said quickly when he referred to the Crystal Empire incident. “Everypony has bad days and you just… uhm… had a really really bad one.” She smile shyly, her face mostly hidden behind her mane. After a few long moments of silence, she flinched back into action when she remembered why she was there. “Oh! I, uhm… brought you something?” it came out like a question. Bending her wing like a hand for a moment, she flipped her saddlebag open and knelt down. It was quite heavy.

THOK.

A round rock hit the floor, startling the black stallion a little with the sound of its weight. Free of her burden, the butter-colored mare nosed it at him a little. He stared at it for a few long seconds. Twilight’s brow furrowed. She hadn’t meant to evesdrop or anything, but why in the world would Fluttershy bring him a rock of all things? Fluttershy smiled bashfully, tucking one hoof over the other in an insecure sort of way. Sombra leaned down, squinting at it. Then his face lit up, “Crystallllls-ssss!” he hissed, lighting his horn. The rock broke down the middle by magic, splitting open like a coconut shell. Ohhh, it was a geode! Inside was a snowy-white series of glass-like crystals. Some of it was brown, but the deeper bits were very pretty! “Crystahhhh-ls!” he said again, leaning over it with interest and a big smile.

Fluttershy smiled as he levitated both halves up onto the table to see them better. Putting them on top of his work, he tilted them back and forth. Quartz wasn’t the most valuable sort of crystal, but he loved to see all the different colors. The Crystal Empire had only so many sorts of geodes, it was really interesting to see one from Equestria! Sombra grinned, thanking her enthusiastically. “I ah, thought you might like that.” Fluttershy glanced at Twilight for approval. The purple mare was smiling with amusement, and the yellow one took this as a good sign. “It came from the river near my home, uhm, I think there’s a few more in there but I tried to find a good one.” She smiled bashfully, gently opening her wings at him for a few moments… before quickly closing them with red cheeks. (She couldn’t do it! she wasn’t that brave! She just couldn't! Eep!)

Twilight arched her brow, a little caught off guard. Was that…? Nah, couldn’t be. Not Fluttershy. Pegasi sometimes showed off their wingspan to make themselves look... appealing. Heck, Rainbow Dash did it all the time, but doing it in front of a stallion was something else entirely. Rolling her eyes and mentally scolding herself, the librarian leaned over a copy of Gem and Crystal Formation: Rocks Under Pressure. She didn’t see Sombra smile rather coyly at Fluttershy. He went to her, thanking her again and taking her hoof to kiss it. Such a gentlecolt. Fluttershy smiled... and fled after that, heading for the door and outside. Sombra leaned over his gift with a big smile, entranced by all the little sparkles and patterns in the quartz.

Outside, Fluttershy let out a long-held breath. “Whewww…” That had been scary. She wasn’t used to being so bold! She held her chest, her heart aflutter with stress and excitement. Well, he’d liked his gift so she’d done well. Smiling at her reflection in a nearby puddle, she almost ran into Rarity when she made to leave.

“Oh, darling I almost didn’t see you there!” Rarity had a little gift-box floating next to her. Fluttershy eyed it a little, unaware she was staring. The two mares stared at each other, and silent words went back and forth between them. Fluttershy swallowed, turning pink in the cheeks and going around the white mare. “Is everything okay?” Rarity asked.

“Oh yes, don’t mind me.” Fluttershy smiled a little, “I was just, uhm… heading to the market.” She looked at the levitating gift-box next to Rarity with questions in her eyes, though. It gave her pause.

“Should I uhm, you know, wait a bit?” Rarity said, barely bothering to disguise what was going on. She gestured with her eyes to the library. Clearly they’d both had the same idea. Fluttershy let out a little squeak, and fled for her life. She couldn’t take the pressure! The seamstress stood there, a little stunned about what to do now. “Well… maybe a little peek wouldn’t hurt.” She set the box in her saddlebag, going to one side of the library stoop and leaning towards one of the windows. “Its not proper for a lady to spy but… well, it’s for the herd.” She decided firmly. Clearing her throat a little, she made sure no one was watching, then peered inside.

Sombra and Twilight were leaning over a thick book. Both were smiling and the black stallion had a rock in one hoof while Twilight was showing him something in the book’s pages. He nodded enthusiastically, gesturing with the stone. He tilted it back and forth and Rarity’s eyes caught the sparkle of quartz inside. Ahhh— Clever mare, Fluttershy. Rarity decided to let the alpha mare work her wiles on Sombra. She could come back with her box of chocolate-covered cherries later.


=-----=-----=-----=-----=


Princess Luna leaned over the preemptive copy of the petition. “Equal wages?” she scoffed. “Divorce rights? Half-responsibilities for foals?!” she snorted, slapping the paper down on the table. “Do they even know what they ask? All five of those things are completely open to abuse and loopholes!” the dark alicorn dismissed them without another thought.

“It is rather hard to measure ‘half’ care for a foal.” admitted Princess Celestia. “I understand what it means, but there’s no way to really measure that.” The white alicorn was scratching notes on a scroll that levitated next to her. The solar diarch knew that King Sombra would come very prepared for the debate-slash-negotiations, so she intended to do her homework on such things. “Let’s go through them again, sister.” She prodded Luna. The night time princess groaned, rolling her eyes.

Princess Cadance sat to one side with Shining Armor, watching and giving input when the thought struck them. Shining Armor had made them all tea with lemon. February was not kind to anypony’s sinuses, and the smooth taste was nice to keep everypony calm. Going and throwing another log into the hearth, he stirred the flames up until the royal apartments got a little bit warmer. “Well, you know a lot of stallions are pretty charged about this.” Said the stallion thoughtfully, seating himself next to his wife. She nuzzled him, smiling. “Twenty-five thousand signatures is nothing to sneeze at.”

“I saw Twilight Sparkle’s name among those signed.” Celestia said, holding up their copy. Once the final signature had been written, the royal petition had copied itself and teleported through the royal mail. This gave all those involved a chance to study it before the official spokespony showed up to talk about its contents. Sombra was quite the verbal fencer, too, so the solar Princess wanted to sharpen herself before the time came. “This should prove very interesting.”

“A few from my platoon went AWOL to head for Ponyville.” Shining grumbled with disapproval. “They were saying that mares should be in the military too, if they expect the same sort of protection.” Cadance frowned a little worriedly. With military stallions running wild, that meant that the S.o.S. had warriors on their side now. If things turned ugly… it wouldn’t be good. Sheer numbers were one thing, but armored ponies with combat training was another thing entirely. “I’m up to my eyeballs in paperwork, trying to court-marshal the ones that went off without orders.”

Celestia frowned a little worriedly. “I was considering sending down a squadron or two to keep the peace, but now I am not so sure.” She opened her wings to stretch them. “This is a very charged situation, it needs to be handled delicately. I don’t want anypony getting hurt.”

“Agreed.” Cadance nodded. “A show of military force might put the S.o.S. on edge, like we were getting ready to put them all in jail or something.” She extended a worried wing over Shining Armor, who sipped his tea idly. “I certainly wouldn’t want to send a platoon down there, only for a riot to break out just because they happened to be there.”

Luna leaned over the paper of the petition, scowling over it again. “Number one.” She said aloud, reading. “Equal pay. We demand that sex or gender no longer play a role in the hiring or escalation of salary at any job, public or private. We wish for stallions to be paid the same as mares for the same work.” She read it word for word for everypony’s benefit, then scowled. “Poppycock.” She said.

“Why?” Shining Armor tilted his head with a frown.

“If a mare is more educated than a stallion, she deserves higher pay.” Luna said, gesturing with a hoof. “Or if she’s been there longer, or if the business suffers for some reason and has to adjust starting wages to be lower than before.”

“None of those reasons have to do with sex, Luna.” Cadance said, stroking Shining Armor’s back with a wing to soothe him. She hated to see her poor husband fret. He had enough responsibilities as it was.

“It is not within the bounds of the law to force businesses to pay ponies any certain salary.” said Celestia diplomatically. “We cannot enforce such a thing, unless it were strictly minimum wage. In that case, though, the law is already there.” She frowned thoughtfully for a time. “I don’t think we can legally grant that first one. Putting pressure on businesses to pay certain employees in a certain way infringes on their economic rights and profits.” She was quiet for a time to let this sink in. “I must go with Luna on this one.”

“Cellie that’s not fair! Mares make ten bits to any stallion’s seven in today’s economy!” Cadance said, upset. Shining Armor frowned, but knew Celestia was right. Without undoing a fundamental set of laws about minimum wage, salary scaling, and other things… there really just wasn’t a way to MAKE businesses pay stallions the same as mares.

Luna smirked a little, leaning over the second item on the petition’s list. She felt she had this battle well in-hoof if Celestia was siding with her. “Hrm, let’s see.” She murmured. “Number two. Equal Employment Opportunity. We demand that job applications no longer require pictures of the applicant. We believe there is a social stigma against stallions filling certain roles in the community including education, science, technology, government, and sociology. Stallions are almost exclusively filling the roles of physical/manual labor in Equestria, and this is no longer acceptable to us.”

There was a long silence as the three alicorns thought this one over. “If it were just the picture bit, I suppose we could grant that.” Celestia said thoughtfully. “I don’t see how it would help, though. You can tell gender from a name, usually. It doesn’t need a picture.” She sighed a little sadly. She understood what they were trying to say, but it just didn’t translate into law very well. “They would have to leave their names off entirely, and that’s not acceptable.”

Luna nodded. “Information and background checks would be instantly crippled overnight.” The night time Princess said, scanning through the wording of the petition again. “I would not hire a documented drunkard to work in my winery, nor a pyromaniac to build my fireworks.”

“Hrm.” Cadance said, frowning a bit and looking at her hooves where she sat on the couch with her husband. “You’re right, I suppose. Employers have a right to know the identity of those they’re considering hiring, that’s a given. I understand the picture bit too, but it’s sort of a moot point, isn’t it?” she looked at her herdmates. Even Shining Armor had to nod in agreement.

“Number Three.” Luna said, pulling her copy of the petition under her muzzle again. “The Ensured Right to Divorce Current Herd Alpha Mares and Elect a New One. We demand that,” she paused to snort derisively. “We love that they always word it ‘we demand’. As though their forward wording will get them what they want from their rulers.” She scowled over the wording for a bit. Celestia sighed, gesturing for her to continue. “Should an alpha mare perform poorly in her role as the leader of a herd, that it be a stallion’s decision to replace her with another member of the same herd. This is to be permanent and not up for veto until the original alpha mare is prosperous again, or once again is worthy of her role. Failure to do this would result in the permanence of the newly-elected alpha mare for the herd.” She paused for a time, frowning over it. “That’s so poorly worded we don’t know where to start.”

“That would give the stallions quite a bit of power over their herds.” Celestia said in a troubled way. Cadance nodded in agreement. “What do you think, Shining Armor?” she referred to her own herd’s stallion for reference.

“I dunno.” Shining admitted. “All of this is about the current balance of power which, you have to admit, is in the favor of mares. But, this would kind of give ALL the power to the stallions.” He scratched his chin in a troubled way. “That and, well, what do we define ‘performing poorly’ as? Not making enough money? Not keeping everypony in the herd happy? Not providing a big enough home to live in?” Everypony present had to admit that the third item on the petition was pretty open-ended and not something that could be legally done. “This is all so complicated.” Complained the stallion, scrubbing at his mane in an itchy way. All three alicorns nodded and sighed in unison. This was going to be a long night of serious debate and arguing for all of them. Luna sighed, starting the moon gently down from its apex.

“None of these sound like things that can be made into laws.” Celestia said softly, sighing. Her eyes narrowed in deep thought. There was more to be spoken about but it wasn’t in this petition. That was for sure. The sun princess was done being the indecisive middle-mare for this issue. She’d waited long enough trying to be the neutral party and let it work itself out. It was time to make her move. Taking up a blank scroll and royal quill— she began writing a letter to Applejack.

=-----=-----=-----=-----=
A few days later…
=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Sombra snored quietly, sitting on the couch in front of the slowly dying hearth with Twilight Sparkle. They’d draped a big thick blanket over themselves and settled in front of the fire. He’d completely forgotten his work for the upcoming S.o.S. petition debate with the princesses, and had been showing Twilight Sparkle the intricacies of crystal formation. With her big thick book in tow and his new geode from Fluttershy, they’d shared a relaxing evening of rest and learning. They’d fallen asleep leaning against each other in front of the fire, and not even Spike thought to disturb them. They were kind of cute together, really. Both of them had the same adorable head-tilted back, mouth open, little line of drool way of sleeping. Their horns were lightly pressed together, crossed over one another for support. Spike had been very tempted to get a camera.

Suddenly there was a rough banging on the library door, startling both ponies awake. “What? Whossat?!” Twilight Sparkle tumbled off the couch. Sombra fell to one side, yawn-growling with all his fangs in confusion. “Stay here, I’ll get it.” Twilight said just a little bit protectively, rising and grabbing a firefly lantern to see with. Coughing a little and trying not to be embarrassed that she’d fallen asleep on the couch with him, she quickly went to the door and peeked out. “Hullo?”

“Get Sombra! We need him!” it was a stallion she didn’t know.

“He’s sleeping. It’s the middle of the night.” Twilight lied, stubbornly taking up the doorway.

“Yeahhhhhh!” Snowflake was next to him, decked out in saddlebags and holding an angry sign.

“Haven’t you heard?!” a third stallion said, shouldering them both aside. “The Princesses denied the petition entirely! All five items!”

“What? They haven’t even spoken to the spokespony for the Stallions on Strike yet.” Twilight said blearily, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. “They can’t deny a royal petition without a formal meeting with its spokespony. It’s the law.” She yawned a little, grumbling at their intrusion.

“Word just reached us from Canterlot!” Mr. Cake jostled all three stallions aside with an impressive, tiny little shoulder of his own. “The Princesses say the entire thing is bad and they won’t touch it, even with a meeting!” He said, panicked. “Even with our twenty-five thousand signatures!”

Twilight looked over her shoulder. She saw Sombra staggering around the room, still half-awake, throwing on his crown and fittings. Flashing magic through his mane to tame it, he started stuffing things in his saddlebags. She left the doorway to stop him. “Sombra, it’s the middle of the night, can’t you wait until morning?”

“Nyargh worgh! Erf-gurf-gyahh-oo!” he told her angrily, making her jump back a bit. Rolling up his scrolls with a whiplash of magic, he stuffed a series of sociology and etiquette books into his other bag. Throwing his cape over his broad stallion shoulders, he fastened it with a snarl. Dashing past her he…. He stopped in the doorway. He looked over his shoulder at her, frowning in an uncertain way.

“Please… don’t do anything stupid.” Twilight said as gently as she could. Lighting her horn, she fixed his crown a little. “Remember, you’re there to represent all the others on that petition. You have to be the best of them.”

Sombra heaved a big, trying-not-to-be-angry sigh. “Nyargh, Riygh-right Rarwgle.” he pressed his lips to her forehead in a quick, gruff kiss before stomping outside. Twilight stood there, red-faced, watching the parade of stallions marching down the street. The tent city had been furiously ripped down and packed up, and now it looked like the entire rabble was on the move. Sombra and the others joined them on the main strip of Ponyville, already heading for the edge of town. They had torches, pitchforks, and lanterns. They were armed with carts and tools and yokes. They made sure they had extra-extra-angry signs to wave. They left a thick trail of horseshoes as they left town. The Princesses wanted to deny their petition entirely?! Fine!

The entire S.o.S. would march! On! CANTERLOT!



End of Part 10