• Published 21st Jan 2012
  • 10,365 Views, 471 Comments

Are You Ready? - Dirty Bit



Guess who's back from the other side...

  • ...
22
 471
 10,365

Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Bleak Dawn

The next day was met with a grey morning shower scheduled by the weather ponies in Ponyville, but it still marks a new day for the Shadowcolt. It was almost heavenly to know he was waking up next to somepony who he now cares for with all his heart for the first time, but the mood was lessened when he thought back to his second dream. Now he has to choose to live the rest of his days knowing his lessons would be forfeit in the end, or go back personally to spare himself the trouble of doing so.

Dr. Facilier, while acknowledging the harsh realization, did not want to give up all that he had acquired just yet. While it held its flaws and crazy moments, he had woke up into an almost perfect world where he didn't have to borrow magic and everypony inside (Almost everypony...) was friendly and giving. The doctor was happy to take advantage of such opportunities, but now he has come to know his affection towards Fluttershy and began to change more and more. Even the constant heartburn he was feeling over the days had become normal and welcoming to him.

He opens his eyes and turns to see his marefriend sleeping so peacefully in her bed, putting a smile on his face upon seeing her so content in her slumber 'That girl really knows how t' make sleepin' look good...'. The doctor gets up from the bed and quietly trots out of the room down the stairs, and as he trotted, his good mood began to waver when his mind began nagging at him. His shadow was slumping and donning a crooked frown with how much its master had went through so much change and how he was soon about to leave this world.

Dr. Facilier went into the living room and trotted towards his work desk and began his daily inventory check, making sure his potions were properly arranged. It became a liability to keep the bad potions he made for those he didn't like with how much this world has gotten to him, and this shocked even him when he thought about it. He really has gone soft during his time in Equestria, and it was as if his love for mischief was about to be lost forever. The doctor then turned to his dolls when all of his potions were in check.

The Shadowcolt had a neatly assorted collection of custom dolls that he had made from the base models he bought at the toy store. It had started out with a doll of Zecora, which was slightly beaten from all the times he had stabbed a needle in it, and now it was full of a majority of the ponies he was familiar with. They all lacked the hairs needed for voodoo, but were professionally crafted for their appearance. Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, and even Fluttershy were crafted as dolls. He levitated the Fluttershy doll and brought it to his eyes, staring at it sullenly while his mind was still on his cruel fate. Was there another way out of this? Could Celestia somehow work her magic and make sure that Dr. Facilier could find paradise even after death? She is a goddess after all.

Before he could think this further, Fluttershy was found trotting down the steps and stopping at a nearby window to look outside "Oh dear...I forgot that it was supposed to rain today..." She watched drops of water pelt the glass, and then turned to face Dr. Facilier with a small smile "It's a good thing I have an umbrella for days like this. You wouldn't want to get that suit wet and upset Rarity, would you?" She gives a soft chuckle, then noticed the doll in his possession "Oh. Are you trying to improve your collection, Dr. Facilier? You don't really have to, seeing as how the doll looks nice enough...But, whatever you want to do is fine..." she shrunk a little. Her shyness hasn't left her even when the two were together. Dr. Facilier smiled at this, and for the first time in a while, he told the truth.

"I'm jus' thinkin' about stuff, baby doll.
I didn't really expect the rain to fall..."

The timid mare gave a cute yawn, and then trotted passed the doctor "Maybe we could talk about it when you get back...I'll get breakfast ready so you can try to make it to work early without much of this rain bothering you." She went into the kitchen, leaving Dr. Facilier with the doll he was levitating.

The Shadowcolt went back to staring at his doll and then the rest of his collection. Perhaps now wasn't the time to be so melancholy about his current position, even if the rain added to the mood. The doctor could go back to his 'friends' any time he wanted to, and that was enough to make his time with Fluttershy and the others last. He gave a smile, but was unaware that his shadow was showing the opposite. It was clear that Dr. Facilier's shadow wasn't too happy about going back to hell or the fact that its master was changing most of his ways inside, knowing his attempts at happiness were futile. The very concept of this happening was haunting.

Later, after eating a breakfast consisting of apricot pancakes and orange juice, Dr. Facilier took the umbrella offered by Fluttershy and trotted off into town for another day at Ponyville Clinic with his potions. He looked up at the sky and observed how the grey clouds blocked out Celestia's bright sun with their bleak coloring. It really did add to his mood with how much longer he looked up, and he did not notice that he bumped into somepony. The Shadowcolt closed his eyes and tipped his hat in apology.

"Sorry about that, I wasn't lookin' ahead...
If you'll excuse me, I need t' tre-"

He opened his eyes and they widened to see that he bumped into a familiar zebra mare, only she was wearing a cloak. Zecora gave a glowing glare from under her hood at the Shadowcolt as the two stood in the rain, and it slighty startled Dr. Facilier. This was the first time he ever saw her look so menacing, and it was surprising to realize that she was as friendly as everypony he has met so far. The two locked eyes for a couple more minutes in silence, and then some of Dr. Facilier's mood returned as he broke the ice.

"Well if it isn't my little striped pet?
It's been so long since we've last met."

Zecora's glowing eyes narrowed as she responded with a remark of her own.

"You have nerve to speak that way once more.
The words you utter towards me are poor..."

Dr. Facilier rolled his eyes, not wanting to deal with this kind of crap in the morning when he had work to do. He tipped his hat to Zecora once more and trotted passed her, giving his parting words.

"As much as I'd love to toss some words,
This petty argument is for th' birds.
I gotta go tend to the sick today,
So see ya later, have a nice day..."

He never thought he would speak those words to his arch-enemy while walking away from her and leaving her befuddled. Zecora observed the Shadowcolt trotting off towards the clinic, tilting her head in confusion. She then leaned her head forward and narrowed her eyes as if she were spotting something microscopic, and then gave a small gasp as she spoke to herself.

"His traits of evil are faint in glow.
How this is possible, I do not know...
But I must be weary if he were to plot
A plan that would leave all of Ponyville fraught..."

She trotted back to her hut, pondering the motives behind the doctor's change of behavior.

Dr. Facilier finally reached his destination and gave a small sigh as his he pushed the door open. Walking inside, he noticed that no one, not even the receptionist, was inside the lobby. This led him to the conclusion that he arrived a little too early after finishing breakfast. Punching in his timecard, he made his way to the employee hallway and trotted towards his workroom. He opened the door, and was met with an explosion of confetti and party noises, launching him back into a wall as he stared at the display in front of him.

He bared his teeth and glared when he noticed Pinkie Pie hop out of Dr. Facilier's workroom with a grin on her face "Morning, Dr. Fa-silly-a! Sorry about this happening on such short notice, but a thought occured to me! You saved Fluttershy when we couldn't, she really loves you, and you seem a lot nicer according to what's been read by the others so far! That's when it hit me: Why didn't I throw a party? I mean, sure we went to the club last night, and it was pretty good there, but that all happened before you saved Fluttershy! Also, with what went down last night, it couldn't be right to throw a party when the club was torn up and so late! Unless you're a nocturnal kind of zebracorn! Are you a nocturnal zebracorn? ANYWAY, I figured I'd throw you a morning 'My friend just saved my best friend from certain death' party before you begin your work day!" She continued talking, and did not notice the low grumble escaping the Shadowcolt's lips.

As he hung on the wall, Dr. Facilier noticed Nurse Redheart treading in the hall towards him with a sheepish grin on her face "Sorry if this startled you greatly, Dr. Facilier, but Pinkie Pie insisted. I heard you were caught in the midst of the local nightclub coming apart from a small accident, and I was more than impressed to hear that you saved Fluttershy. You really are a hero." She added the last part with a brightened tone with a smile to match.

The Shadowcolt never thought he would get this much recognition for his deeds, and even noticed the other doctors and nurses trotting over with smiles on their faces. It was clear they were in on Pinkie's party plan, and with a sigh, he pulled himself off of the wall and landed on all fours. Looks like he was going to enjoy a minor set of festivities before getting back to his duties as a doctor. The upside to this is that it could take his mind off of what has been bothering him constantly.

After two hours of tasting sweets and mingling with his coworkers, Dr. Facilier took down all of the decorations that Pinkie had placed in his workroom. Streamers, doilies, and a banner saying 'You're changin', you're changin', you're changin' inside!' was not what he wanted to stare at while he was busy with his job. Compacting the decorations and tossing them in his own trash bin, he went back to inventory check as his day began.

While he was working, a door opened to show Twilight trotting inside with a smile "Hello, Dr. Facilier! I hope you don't mind me walking in like this without an appointment. Is it okay if I talk to you?" Well, this was a first. Somepony simply waltzing into a workplace and wanting to make small talk with workers while they were busy. Then again, who came to the Shadowcolt yet? Giving a shrug to the lavender bookworm's request, he spoke.

"Sure, I don' mind, but make it quick.
I gotta make sure t' help th' sick."

Twilight nods "Okay, and thank you. I heard about what you have done last night, and I couldn't be more thrilled about the news! Sorry me or the girls couldn't make it to the party, but you know how busy we are in the morning, right?" She gave a small grin. "Anyways, I never imagined something like last night could happen like this, and that you would risk your life for Fluttershy! I'm proud to call you my student in learning friendship!" She stopped herself and chuckled "Look at me, I sound like Princess Celestia!"

Dr. Facilier shook his head slowly with a smile, amused at how Twilight gushes at the thought of him learning so quickly. He only wished that his acheivements could have meant something in the end.

The lavender bookworm then continued "Well, the rain is supposed to clear up around the afternoon, and some of the folks in Ponyville are trying to pitch in bits to repair the club. Maybe afterwards, you could join me in a small study session at the library to help with your lessons! I'm sure Fluttershy wouldn't mind."

The doctor looked down and wondered if it actually was a bad idea, given his predicament, but then stopped and realized his mood. It had occured to him that ever since he woke up he had been in a somber mood. Zecora and Pinkie were the only two so far to snap him out of his melancholic trance. He shouldn't let his 'friends' get the best of him when he himself declared his love for Fluttershy and his freedom to go back whenever he wanted. He perked himself up with his new-found will and smiled at Twilight.

"Sure thing, Twi. I'll visit your place.
It'll help me learn at a quicker pace."

Twilight beamed at Dr. Facilier and hopped up "Oh, I'm glad to hear it! I better head back to the library to check on Spike. See you soon!" She trots out of the workroom happily, looking forward to her first study session with somepony around.

Dr. Facilier noted the expression on Twilight's face as a reminder that perhaps he should brighten his own mood even if he was bound to leave sooner or later. He goes back to checking his potions while waiting for his patients to come in, knowing that despite the slow business, he was going to have a long and busy day with Twilight, Fluttershy, and the rest of Ponyville.

End of Chapter 34