• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 3,727 Views, 98 Comments

A Love That I Can't Win - super3rainbow1



Fluttershy and her best friends are going on a vacation in order to clear up any stress from the past weeks. During the long train ride, Fluttershy is finding it harder and harder to hide her feelings for Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
10
 98
 3,727

My Heart

The rest of the vacation flew by a little too fast for Fluttershy and her best friends. They had spent the few remaining days lounging around, swimming, chatting, and visiting the springs again. It felt too early to leave. This vacation had been worth every minute of their time and every bit that Twilight paid. Rainbow Dash had told Fluttershy in secret that she was reluctant to leave already. However, they all knew that they couldn't stay forever. Ponyville was their home after all and it was time to return their usual lives.

Fluttershy stood in her room with Rainbow Dash. Both of them were finished packing their belongings. They took one last look at their room. Fluttershy let out a long sigh that was followed by one from Rainbow Dash.

'I wish this could have lasted longer. I don't want to leave this behind,' Fluttershy thought.

"Hey, are you okay?" Rainbow Dash asked and nudged her. "I know it's a little hard to believe that we're leaving already but we did have a great time, right?" she said, trying to smile.

"Yeah.. I know what you mean, Rainbow. I just wish we had this kind of privacy back in Ponyville. I won't feel comfortable showing our relationship around other ponies that aren't our friends," Fluttershy replied and looked down.

Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her head. "Why should we care? It's none of their business anyway. Besides, we have our awesome friends to back us up just in case," she said and stood next to Fluttershy.

"You really think we can do this?" Fluttershy asked.

Rainbow Dash planted a kiss on her cheek that made her heart aflutter. Fluttershy leaned on her with a sideways hug and they both blushed a little.

"Of course," Rainbow Dash simply said, returning the hug.

They made another quick look around the room and closed the door shut for good. Before they knew it, they were already back on the train, ready for the trip back home. The last thing they remember was returning their keys and Pinkie Pie embarrassing the kind receptionist by engulfing her in a huge hug. Fluttershy had convinced Rainbow Dash to sleep in the same car their friends were in. This time they were going to be a lot more quiet and considerate.

The train ride didn't seem as bad as the first time. Fluttershy found herself enjoying the company of her friends and the close proximity to her marefriend. She and Rainbow Dash were sitting on the same bunk together.

"Did you guys enjoy the vacation?" Twilight asked.

"Are you joking? I loved it, Twilight!" Pinkie Pie said, bouncing in her bunk.

"Twilight, this vacation was absolutely refreshing. There must be a way that I could return the favor," Rarity said and brushed her mane.

'Return the favor?' Fluttershy thought. 'Rainbow Dash really was such a nice marefriend. She made that one evening so special for me. Nopony has ever danced with me or was that gentle. Why can't I do something special for her? I bet that nopony has ever done something like that for her..'

Fluttershy's thoughts were interrupted by a nudge from her marefriend. Rainbow Dash nuzzled her and looked back at their friends. "I think it's safe to speak for Fluttershy. We had a really nice time," she said.

"I bet you two did. It's really nice that you have a special somepony now. We always wondered if you two would finally start dating.. I mean, not each other.. just like anypony in general. Don't get me wrong-" Twilight said but was interrupted by Rainbow Dash.

"We get the point, Twilight," Rainbow Dash said and let out a long sigh.

'There's gotta be a way that I can show her how nice of a marefriend I really am,' Fluttershy thought.

As the day dwindled on, Fluttershy waited for the perfect moment to talk alone with Rainbow Dash. It started to get dark and everypony else was becoming more and more quiet. She sat close to her marefriend and they both looked out the window at the passing scenery.

"Do you ever feel lonely, Rainbow Dash?" Fluttershy asked.

Rainbow Dash sighed and looked at her. "Yeah.. I do.. sometimes," she said in sad tone.

"Why?" Fluttershy asked.

"I never had a special somepony like you," Rainbow Dash said. "Heck, I never even had a special somepony. You know that I live alone with exception of Tank."

"Why? I feel like we could have gotten together the first year we spent in Ponyville," Fluttershy said.

A minute of silence passed. "Look Fluttershy, I never had the courage to ask you out. I always thought that I would be the one admit my feelings first but I was never ready. I'm sorry that I made so much drama before we actually went out. It was so uncool of me.

"Rainbow, it's okay. All that matters now is that we are together," Fluttershy said in soothing tone.

"Do you know how hard it is keeping your feelings to yourself?" Rainbow Dash asked after a minute.

"Yes, Rainbow.. I know what it feels like," she said, putting a hoof on her shoulder.

Rainbow Dash rested a hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder too. "Do I make a good enough marefriend for you, Fluttershy?" she nervously asked.

Fluttershy decided that words wouldn't be enough to answer her. Instead, she captured Rainbow Dash in a loving embrace. Her marefriend's eyes widened in surprise. She felt Rainbow Dash return the hug within seconds. Fluttershy leaned over, trying to turn the hug into a snuggle session.

"Of course.. but do I make a good marefriend for you?" She asked back.

Rainbow Dash leaned with her and they both fell over, laying on the bunk. Fluttershy let out a giggle as her marefriend rested her head on her chest. A warm feeling of happiness came over as she looked at Rainbow Dash who had her hooves around her.

"Yes," Rainbow Dash said in a soft tone and looked up at her.

Fluttershy leaned her face closer and Rainbow Dash slowly closed her eyes. Their lips met in a long passionate kiss. Her heart was pounding and her thoughts racing. Fluttershy applied more pressure to the kiss. Rainbow Dash let out a little moan as they continued to kiss. They finally broke away, both trying to catch their breath. Their faces were a bright red.

Rainbow Dash laid her head back on Fluttershy's chest and closed her eyes. She shifted a little to get more comfortable. Fluttershy pulled a blanket up to Rainbow Dash's neck and kissed her on the forehead. A soft whisper came from her marefriend.

"I love you, Fluttershy," Rainbow Dash said.

"I love you too, Rainbow," she said back.

Fluttershy ran a hoof through her prismatic mane, feeling her cool soft hair. Rainbow Dash fell asleep, snoring ever so softly. Fluttershy smiled and closed her eyes too. Nothing else in the world mattered. She had won Rainbow Dash's heart and her love.

Author's Note:

This last chapter was meant to be quick, short, and sweet. Hope you enjoyed this story!

Comments ( 30 )

Thanks everyone for reading this story! :pinkiehappy:

I know the beginning was a little iffy and I almost gave up :rainbowderp: So, thanks for pulling through :twilightsheepish:
I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice or critism so I can improve my writing. I am planning on starting a longer Flutterdash story with 4k+ words in each chapter and a one-shot story.

Nice job, i really liked the story :)

I'm glad you pulled through! :pinkiehappy:

This turned out nice. It was simple, sweet, low-key, and fairly sharp-paced. It wasn't trying to be huge or epic, and it didn't need to be. Sometimes we do just need a little something quick and simple that still takes its time. It was well worth the read. :twilightsmile: Good stuff!

As always.... :yay::heart::rainbowkiss:

2052602
I'm glad that I did pull through.

Thanks! :yay:

Cuuuuuute! Nice work. ^^

2061849
Thank you, I'm glad that it came out alright :raritywink:

this story was really good! I really enjoyed it! :rainbowwild:

But I can't shake this feeling that the whole thing was set up by Twilight and Pinkie Pie to get them to start dating xD
Random vacation that they completely paid for, how it "turned out" that the rooms only had one bed each, how they went to a fairly off beat and featureless area that it's evident not many ponies visit...

Not to say that it was a bad thing, I enjoyed it! But was it intentional? x3

2083510
Well, thank you! :twilightsheepish:

I'll be honest, I didn't make it/intend it as a set up. I should have added the detail that the beds were doubles. It does seem a little reasonable to see it as one going by that logic.

Good job this story is relly good :)

I was expecting a sad ending, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised:pinkiehappy:

2713019
I am surprised that I have surprised someone then. Normally, I'm not much of a sad ending writer.

2965205 Was it that sad-toned? :derpyderp2:

2965275

To me yes. The fact that you didn't mention Fluttershy's mom until halfway through the story made it okay-ish. If you would of put her mom in the 1st chapter It would be so much better.

None-the-less great story.

2965821 Yeah, that's a little true. I could have mentioned her more than once in the story, especially in the first chapter or second maybe. Also, thank you. :twilightsmile:

2972980 Your welcome. Overall I would rate this a 4/5. I really hope you coutinue to make storys like this.:scootangel:

<late to the party as usual>

A fairly good story, not the best but there wasn't anything wrong with it, per se. Nice work. :)

3234200 Thank you for your kind and honest words. :twilightsheepish: I hope it proved to be a little unique among the other Flutterdashs out there.

Well I say you did a fine job here.

*smiles*
as always, good work.
Ciao for now,
-NAME REMOVED-

That was good I really enjoyed it.

7017559 It is though I have enjoyed to write in my free time as well. It's challenging to be original and unique but that makes it much more interesting to do. Sadly for now, my new stuff is only in the thought process, though very thought out.

You know its a good story when it leaves you wanting more. The journey was fun. The shipping was adorable and this has that wonderful feeling of old skool s2/3 pony that I still reallly like. Again makes me hope that after you graduate, you will find some more time to write because you have some great ideas and this shows that you can pull them off nicely.

10088975
I don't think I've looked back at this story for years. But still I suppose it was nice to look back now.
Thanks for the comment. It's nice to see despite my early writing skills it was likeable enough.

I am though trying to get the time to work on a one shot and at least get something out. It's just... going really slow right now

Third time reading this old classic.
Still enjoyable and worth reading.

Login or register to comment