• Published 12th Nov 2011
  • 13,510 Views, 320 Comments

Envy and Arrogance - Mindblower



The Elements are critical to world stability. Twilight and her friends find this out the hard way.

  • ...
11
 320
 13,510

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

*******

Dash sat down on the barren desert floor. The small island was beginning to fade away, but she didn’t notice. I don’t have anything left. I don’t want to keep this up anymore; I just want to die. I should have done more! I could have helped them... I’m a failure. “I can’t believe she’s really gone…” she muttered, her last tear slowly sliding down her neck.

“She’s not gone,” Pinkie murmured.

“How do you know?” Dash asked quietly. “And why should we care? Why bother? Why keep this up?”

“There’s always a reason!” Pinkie exclaimed. “There’s still a chance!”

“I-I’m sorry, Pinkie Pie,” Rarity sniffled. “But I have to agree with Rainbow Dash. Three of our friends might be dead, I…” she shook her head, at a loss for words.

“We have to go on! We have to recover!” Pinkie said. She lowered her voice slightly. “Don’t tell me you’ve given up?”

“I’m afraid so,” Rarity sighed.

“But there’s still hope!” Pinkie urged, desperately trying to lift her friends’ spirits.

“Really?” Dash asked, standing up angrily. “Honestly, Pinkie, do you really think there’s any way out?”

Pinkie looked Dash square in the eye. “Yes,” she said.

Dash looked away; she couldn’t meet Pinkie’s gaze.

“Remember when you thought there was no way you could beat Rarity in the Best Young Flier’s competition?” Pinkie prompted. “What about when nopony could beat that Ursa Minor? What then? Did everypony just suddenly give up?”

Rarity looked at her. “Do you really think any of that compares?! We’re trapped in a nightmare, and three of our friends are either dead or missing. Pinkie, we were living a dream. This… this is what evil truly is.” Rarity looked away, stifling sobs.

“But is that any reason to give up hope?” Pinkie asked. “Ursa Minor or evil stallion, I’m never giving in until I’ve saved what matters!” She turned to Dash. “I’ll go on and face him alone, if you don’t think you’re up to it.”

Dash sat back down in defeat. “Go on ahead.”

Pinkie was shocked. “Dash?!”

“You fight that big bad stallion on your lonesome, Pinkie,” Dash said sarcastically. “I’m done. I’m through!” she yelled, slamming her hooves on the cracked dirt ground in frustration.

“I’ve been through the exact same things as you, and I’m still kicking!” Pinkie yelled. “What are you, a pegasus or a platypus?”

Dash laughed slightly. “What’s that got to do with it?”

Pinkie hmph’ed. “Nothing. It made you laugh, though, didn’t it?”

Dash looked at her. “Well... yeah, a little. So?”

So, it’s my job to make people laugh. I’m the Element of Laughter,” Pinkie explained. “Are you doing your job, Dash, the Element of Loyalty? The pony who’ll never, ever, ever let her friends down when they need her?”

Dash was hurt, but it was what she needed to hear. “No… I guess not.”

“Then get up!” Pinkie commanded, lifting Dash up onto her feet and backing up.

“Um, Pinkie, what are you doing?” Dash asked as Pinkie carefully positioned herself about ten feet away from the blue pegasus.

“I’ll need a running start!” Pinkie chirped.

Before Dash could properly react, she found herself on the ground in a massive Pinkie-style bear hug.

Dash laughed, for real this time. “Stop it! That tickles!” Pinkie hugged Dash tightly.

Rarity had been watching the entire scene. Pinkie’s hair’s gone back to normal. She’s laughing like nothing’s happened. I wish I shared that attitude.

“No matter what happens,” Pinkie murmured.

Dash paused. “No matter what happens… what?” she asked.

“Nothing, just, y’know, no matter what happens,” Pinkie smiled. She let Dash get back onto her hooves. She looked at Rarity, sizing her up. “I think another hug is in order!”

Rarity welcomed the affection, and the tight sorrow in her chest evaporated. Dash smoothed out her mane and stood up.

“We have to finish this,” Pinkie murmured in Rarity’s ear. “We’re too close to give up now.”

“We were too close to give up from the moment we started,” Dash growled. The silence in the infinite space made it easy to overhear a conversation.

The group of three made it down the thin path just as the island started to break into small pieces, each little chunk of earth slowly floating into the abyss. When they finally made it to the throne room, they saw that one more verse had inscribed itself into the unravelling carpet.

Become enraged and your end is certain;
A loss of sympathy is just the same.
Curb your desire for justification;
Know that you will later feel shame.

=====================================================================

*******

Obsidian stood on a tall tower, overlooking a wasteland. Twilight climbed up next to him. He was lying across a translucent armchair, strumming his mandolin and looking at the scorched earth and barren landscape surrounding him.

“Hmm,” Obsidian muttered. “That’s a little dreary.”

“Where are we?” Twilight asked.

“Huh?” Obsidian asked, startled. “Oh, uh, using magic, I can run simulations of real-life situations. Sometimes, that is.”

“But you’re an earth pony!” Twilight exclaimed. “How are you able to use magic?”

Obsidian chuckled, recovering his composure and turning to Twilight. “I am magic, Twilight. That’s my entire being; a spell put into effect long ago to sustain my soul. I couldn’t use magic at first, but as the boundaries began to degrade... I was able to do more and more that I would never have been able to otherwise. If I keep up magic use as I am currently, however, I might not be able to hold my physical form anymore.”

“Wow,” Twilight said. “That’s... kind of sad. Will you eventually, you know...?”

Obsidian shook his head. “Some form of me will exist for thousands of years to come. Whether that form will be good or evil, helpful or malicious, I cannot say.”

Following an awkward pause, Twilight began to stare at the ruined plain. It was primarily a graveyard full of bleached skeletons and barren desert sands. “How did it end up like this? And why are you even looking at these ‘simulations?’”

Obsidian sighed. “It would take more time that I have to explain it to you. It would be like trying to explain calculus in an hour. As for why, well, I desire knowledge. There’s nothing left in this world for me to attain.”

“Oh, okay. Are there any other possibilities I could see?” Twilight asked.

Obsidian looked over the battlefield. “It is a little bleak here, isn’t it? Well, this certainly isn’t the only possible outcome. Let’s zoom to another one.”

Twilight stumbled backward as Obsidian strummed a few notes on his mandolin, his eyes glowing with power. Lights and sounds zipped by so fast it was disorienting, with colors blending together and horizons becoming perpendicular to the ground.

When Twilight’s eyes finally refocused, she saw that she was standing in a throne room. There was half of Canterlot’s coat of arms on a torn flag. Rusty, worn armor sat beside piles of dust and torn cloth. I remember being here, but it didn’t look anything like it does now, Twilight remarked to herself, examining the dirty red carpet and broken stained glass windows. She turned around and saw a white and red alicorn lying on the ground, but it disappeared promptly.

“Ack, sorry,” Obsidian apologized. “Sometimes these images are a bit graphic.”

“Who was that?” Twilight asked.

Obsidian rubbed his chin. “It looked somewhat like Celestia, but the hair was off. So were the dimensions of the body; Celestia isn’t quite that tall.” He shrugged. “It doesn’t matter; I’ll look into it later.”

Twilight looked around at the ruined throne room. “Is this Canterlot?”

“In the distant future, yes,” Obsidian explained. “Unfortunately, everything falls into ruin eventually. However, this image is far too near in the future for my tastes.”

“Why are you even looking at this stuff?” Twilight asked. “Seems a bit, you know, depressing.”

“My duty, Twilight, is to be pessimistic,” Obsidian answered. “Whereas the optimist can better handle tragedy, the pessimist can sometimes prevent it entirely.”

“Can you show me Ponyville?” Twilight asked.

“No,” Obsidian said promptly.

“Why not? I’m only curious,” Twilight begged.

“It is for that exact reason that I’m not showing you. You might see something you cannot unsee,” Obsidian explained. He stood abruptly and faced Twilight. “In fact, you shouldn’t even be here. How did you escape from the library?”

“If somepony gets bored enough, trust that they’ll find a way,” Twilight replied resentfully.

Obsidian chuckled. “I suppose I shouldn’t have underestimated the Element of Magic.”

“How are my friends doing, by the way?” Twilight asked.

Obsidian sighed. “I still have yet to locate them. I’m sorry.”

=====================================================================

There was a single path left to take on the deteriorating island. The zombies and dark knights had all vanished, and the shadowy palace seemed all the more ominous as the group steeled themselves and walked down the final path.

There was nothing to say; nothing to do but keep walking aimlessly along a forgotten path, their hooves wearing out and their legs becoming numb from effort.

It’s my turn now, Rarity thought solemly. I don’t know what I’m going to do. Applejack is the strongest pony I know, and Fluttershy doesn’t have any evil in her heart at all. What makes them different from Dash and Pinkie? Why did they fail their tests?

I wonder how I passed my test, Pinkie reflected. I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. Maybe that’s the point; we have to be consistent or something. This whole thing is crazy.

I’m fed up with this, Dash thought angrily. This is our last stand. I have to end Verba before he ends us.

*******

They arrived at the throne room. Verba materialized next to Rarity, his shape as jagged and sharp as ever. Rarity quietly asked, “Does the test start now?”

“Well, I’ve thought long and hard about it, and... it’s not really necessary, is it?” Verba answered.

Rarity’s eyes widened. “Huh?”

“The Submaster’s decided to let you off the hook, and I’m all for it. Less stuff for me to do, y’know?” Verba explained. He waved his hoof and, in order, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Twilight were dropped out of a hole in space.

“D-Does that mean we can go home?” Rarity asked hopefully. “Surely the testing can’t end now!”

“Meh. Not my problem,” Verba finished, pointing toward the throne room. A glimmering white field appeared where the entrance once was, lighting up the surroundings.

“You can’t be serious,” Rarity scoffed. “Oh, well, at least you saved the best for last. Even if I wasn’t needed, of course. Come now, girls, time is fashion!”

“Um... uh...” Fluttershy stammered, glancing at her hooves. “Y-You tell her.”

“Hmm?” Rarity asked.

“Look, Rarity...” Dash began hesitantly. “You really haven’t proven yourself. Verba, well, he just basically gave you a free pass for now. Just so that we wouldn’t have to stay here.”

Rarity paused for a moment, then rolled her eyes. “Please. Verba, darling, you honestly expect me to fall for such a crude ruse? You even skipped the violet on Dash’s mane.”

All of Rarity’s friends froze, but not out of shock. They appeared to have been mechanically frozen--as if time had simply stopped. They vanished into thin air, and Verba sighed, looking bored. “Great, now I actually have to work to break you. Guess you won’t be as easy as the others. But, then again, these things take time, right?”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“Hmm...” Verba began. A rolodex of runes appeared out of thin air, and as he flipped through them, Rarity got a peculiar itch on her skull, and it felt as if somepony was tap, tap, tapping her forward. She stumbled a bit before Verba found what he was looking for. “Ahh, here we go. Your childhood.”

Time and space warped Rarity to her school play as she used the gems she had found as a filly to decorate costumes for other students. The outfits were gorgeous, just as Rarity intended, and she had gained her cutie mark in her quest to craft such fabulous clothing.

“Exhibit A: You using priceless geodes to make costumes for your peers,” Verba said, with a hint of amusement as he looked upon the illusion.

“At least I didn’t sell them for my own benefit,” Rarity defended.

“Fair enough. Yet, you still kept them instead of, say, selling them and then giving the money to a charity organization and help save thousands of impoverished ponies. Those gems were worth upturns of five thousand bits. Each,” Verba added.

Rarity bit her lip. “But those gems helped me get my cutie mark; without them, I wouldn’t know who I am today!”

“Yeah, yeah, and I’m not judging you or anything; all I know is that there’s a starving filly out in Salt Lick City, shivering on the street, who could have really used a bit or two before she keeled over. But hey, that’s just me,” Verba said.

“Food banks are set up all over Equestria; Celestia saw to it that there was one in every city on the continent,” Rarity argued.

“And yet, ponies still die,” Verba stated. “It’s not just hunger, too. There’s disease, wild animal attacks, gangs, you name it. Stupidity, too, but there’s no fund for that. Moving on.”

They saw an illusionary version of Rarity arguing, bribing, and pleading with Twilight in various sections of Ponyville. The vision was slightly off, Rarity noticed, and it skipped details, but Verba wasn’t trying to fool her anymore, so it didn’t particularly matter. It was when Rarity had been desperately trying to get her hooves on Twilight’s only spare ticket.

“Okay, here we have you trying to play out your happily-ever-after story by winning your friend’s favor, much to her ire,” Verba said.

“How do you know all of this?” Rarity asked.

Verba flicked his head to the side, and Rarity lurched forward until she was at what appeared to be Verba’s snout. Since she was so close to his runes, she saw that they each had their own aura of energy and were pristine glass at the center, but hazier toward the edges.

“See all this?” Verba asked, gesturing to the surrounding area. “This is all an imperfect world. Where your world is like rock, this one is more like, say, silly putty. You’re kind of a guest, and I can do pretty much whatever I want to you and your memories.”

He flicked his head to the opposite side, and Rarity slid backward, flinching as though she was struck. “That’s no way to treat a lady!” she snapped.

“Jeez Louise, why does Generosity always pick the finicky ones?” Verba muttered under his breath. To Rarity, he said, “The longer you drag this out, the ickier it becomes. I can be real nasty if I want to.”

“I have no doubt about that,” Rarity growled. “What, then? What’s so bad about wanting to get out of Ponyville for a change?”

“The fact you did that for selfish reasons,” Verba explained.

“We were all at fault, then. It wasn’t one of my best moments by any stretch of the imagination, but I have since owned up to that mistake,” Rarity stated.

“If you were all at fault, then what about Applejack?” Verba challenged.

“She wanted to go to the Gala for the money,” Rarity said. “That’s hardly an altruistic goal.”

“Fair enough, but she wished to attend the Gala to afford surgery for her grandmother. You wanted to meet the stallion of your dreams. Tell me, which deed will earn you more merits as a Colt Scout?” Verba asked.

To that, Rarity had no answer. “...Fine. I was selfish and rude to my friend. But I forgave her for it, and we have remained friends!”

The illusion vanished. Verba laughed. “Good friends will let you off the hook for most anything, really. Doesn’t mean I will.”

The area shifted and bent into a new shape. This time, it was high in the sky at Cloudsdale, as Rarity plummeted to the earth after the fake wings Twilight had given her failed. Rarity was almost sick; even now, the terror of the experience jarred her, and seeing it all over again didn’t help. She frequently had nightmares.

Swallowing her bile, she asked, “What is it this time?”

“Airsick?” Verba asked, grinning. “Well, you wouldn’t be if you hadn’t tried to upstage your friend because of your own vanity. Got any defense to that?”

Rarity couldn’t argue with that. It was when Dash was participating in the Best Young Fliers competition. The original intention of the wings were only to allow Rarity to attend the event in the first place--unicorns can’t walk on clouds--but she had instead used them to fuel her own pride. Her own, selfish pride. “What are you trying to prove?” she asked quietly.

“I’m trying to make you understand that you weren’t even fit to be an Element of Harmony, much less an Element of Generosity. You’re selfish by nature, and there’s no fix to that. I had hoped to just fool you instead of crush your spirits--it’s not fun to make you hate yourself--but you made me show you just how awful you can be,” Verba explained.

“So. What do you want me to do?” Rarity asked.

“You have two options: Give up and hope your friends can pull you out of my abyss, or fight me with the power of Harmony that you just don’t have,” Verba stated.

“...And my odds are better if I let my friends come get me?” Rarity guessed.

“Yep,” Verba said. “Anything else you want to let me know?”

“Why should I give you any information when you can simply steal it?” Rarity asked. “I will wait for my friends to come find me so that I can teach you how to act around civilized ponies. Until then, do what you want with me.”

Verba clapped Rarity on the shoulder as he walked by her. “That’s what I like to hear.”

=====================================================================

Pinkie and Dash watched from the sidelines as their illusions crossed the border. Verba was having a long, drawn-out conversation with Rarity, and although they were too far off to hear what was said, they saw that black globs of matter were slowly weaving their way toward her. They stuck to her pelt, slowly creeping up her legs to her midsection as their discussion wore on.

Dash was beyond anxious; she was furious. “I don’t get it! What’s the point of this test?”

“Quiet, Dashie, I’m trying to hear what Rarity’s thinking!” Pinkie Pie hushed, standing precariously on the edge of the tiny dirt island Verba had summoned for them to stand on.

“That’s it, I’m going over there!” Dash yelled, fed up. She took to wing and started to zoom toward Rarity on a rescue mission, but Verba warped in front of her mid-flight.

“Woah, woah, woah. Hold your houseflies,” Verba said, zipping in front of Dash.

“But--But you’re over there!” Dash exclaimed, pointing to the island.

Verba grinned. “What, you don’t think I can duplicate myself? Anyway, where’re you going in such a hurry?”

“To save my friend!” Dash yelled. “You need to get it through your thick head that I actually care about them and I won’t let them die!”

He chuckled. “Yeah, I guess that’s a little predictable.” His expression went from lighthearted to threatening. “Sit down. You try and save her, and you’re going to be the one getting sent to the Submaster.”

“Get out of my way!” Dash shouted. She tried to push past Verba or fly around him, but he was as solid as a brick wall and many times faster than she could ever hope to be. Dash’s attempts became more frantic as she realized that the dark globs were about to engulf Rarity.

“You’re not giving me many options besides getting rid of you!” Verba threatened.

“Nngh...” Dash muttered, trying to push past Verba. Hold on, Rarity!

“If that’s how you like it,” Verba finished, vanishing. “You’ll go together.

Dash was suddenly thrust straight toward Rarity and swallowed by the black globs surrounding her.

Silence. Pinkie stared at the empty space surrounding her island. Verba reappeared next to her.

“It was good that she wanted to help her friend, and all, but not in the middle of a test,” he sighed. “Dash is with Rarity, Applejack, and Fluttershy now.”

“How was she supposed to pass that test?” Pinkie asked.

“She gave up,” Verba explained. “She allowed me to convince her that she was selfish. When you’re convinced that you’re something, well, that’s what you become. She wouldn’t have stood a chance out in the real world, trust me.”

“So what now?” Pinkie asked, not turning to face Verba.

“Now?” he asked. “Now, you have one last chance.”

Pinkie looked at Verba. “But wasn’t that our last chance?”

He shook his head. “Nah. In the past, there’s always been an Element that shines through the worst possible situations. Go grab your rabbit’s foot and pray that she can pass the hardest test in the Submaster’s repertoire. Your fate rests in Twilight’s hooves now.”

=====================================================================

*******

Twilight was sitting in the library, gazing out the window for what seemed like the millionth hour.

What’s so fascinating about that desert? Twilight asked herself. I feel drawn to it somehow, but why?

Obsidian appeared. “Twilight?”

“Yes, Obsidian?” Twilight asked.

“I have found the pony that’s holding your friends captive,” he began. “If you want to confront him, he is just through this gate.”

A shining white gateway appeared in the middle of the room. The light was so intense that Twilight couldn’t see what lay beyond.

“What do you want me to do?” Twilight asked.

“The choice is yours and yours alone,” Obsidian said. “However, if you do nothing, your friends will remain his captives. There will be nothing I can do to save them.”

Twilight swallowed. “Okay.” Hesitantly, she stepped through the gate.

She stepped onto a sandy island that hung forlornly in the emptiness of space. The air was hot and humid, and even though there was no sun to speak of, the little dirt that was on the island was cracked and dry. A pony completely made out of unknown symbols was lying down on a lawn chair, tanning himself with a folding mirror.

“Well, lookie here,” the pony began, taking off its sunglasses.

“You,” Twilight growled, remembering the pony that had dragged her into Obsidian’s domain. “Where are my friends?”

“Everywhere. Nowhere,” Verba said, putting his sunglasses back on and crossing his back legs. “They’ve been lifted out of existence until you defeat me.”

“Y-You mean, fight you?” Twilight asked, stepping back. She looked back for an escape route, but the glimmering white gate vanished as soon as she set hoof on this island.

Verba shrugged, shifting to make himself more comfortable. “Maybe.”

“Can’t we settle this... reasonably?” Twilight asked, biting her lip. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a real fight before...

Verba shrugged again. “Meh. Maybe.”

“Will you just give me a straight answer for once?” Twilight asked.

Verba shrugged, and his expression may have been a grin. “I dunno. Maybe.”

“Rrgh...” Twilight growled. She pawed her hoof on the ground. “If you don’t give me another way to get back my friends, then I have no choice but to fight for them!”

Verba’s head moved in a circular motion; he was probably attempting to roll the eyes he didn’t have. “Whatever.”

Twilight’s eye twitched in agitation. She ran at Verba horn-first, closing her eyes and bracing herself for impact. Feeling that she made no such impact, she opened her eyes just before she went tumbling off the edge of the island. Verba had vanished.

*******

“You’ll have to do better than that!” Twilight heard Verba say, though his voice came from all directions. Screeching laughter soared through the air as a torrent of runes started to form a cloud on the very edge of Twilight’s vision.

“No...” Twilight trailed off, realizing just how doomed she really was.

“Twilight!” she heard Obsidian call in her mind.

“What do I do?!” Twilight asked, beginning to panic.

“Stay calm! His magic is unstable. Try to disr-

Twilight yelped and lost concentration as a chain of text tried to cut her in half. It missed, but hit the island instead, removing a good third of the already tiny platform.

“Fun, fun, fun!” Verba chanted. His runes formed multiple spears, and Twilight was frantically trying to dodge their thrusts. She warped out of the way of one just to be nearly cornered by another.

Twilight’s back hoof hit the empty air at the edge of the island and she yelled as she fell, clinging to the edge with her forelegs. Verba’s runes formed a long rope which cut off the portion of the island Twilight was hanging onto like a cut of cheese, and it slowly started to slide into oblivion.

Focus! Twilight screamed at herself, pulling her back hooves onto the crumbling platform and jumping just before it plummeted into the void.

The runes gathered at the center of the platform, forming a drill-like shape. They swirled in absolute harmony and rhythm as the shape became thicker and sharper. Layers of magic complied to form a solid shape, and there was nothing Twilight could do but watch.

Remembering what Obsidian had said, Twilight desperately threw a burst of energy at the drill. The runes were temporarily thrown out of focus, and the shape collapsed.

“Hey!” Verba yelped. “That actually... Oh, are you in for it!”

Twilight tried to dodge the rapid onslaught of daggers that were flung toward her, but there were too many. She grunted in pain as she felt her cheek and thighs cut by the magical knives. With another, though weaker, burst of instinctual energy, Twilight scattered the knives.

Panting, Twilight yelled, “Give up!”

“Oh, I’m not done yet,” Verba said. “Here’s what I call the Opening Line!

Twilight saw a multitude of runes converge on the horizon, forming a massive wall in only a few seconds. It plowed toward her, leaving mere moments to react.

Twilight summoned her remaining strength, and blew a massive hole in the wall. Her magic electrified the runes, and the howling laughter that had formerly lit up the battlefield was replaced by wails of pain.

Twilight gasped for breath, but saw that Verba was weakened. She ran up, her horn crackling with leftover energy, and dove into the center of the remaining runes. She was thrust to the ground by the resulting explosion, but the giant mass of runes was all but destroyed.

Verba once again assumed his physical form and collapsed at the center of the island.

*******

Twilight took a knee, catching her breath. Leftover adrenaline slowly seeped out of her system, leaving her exhausted. That... That was actually kind of fun, heh.

Regaining her composure, Twilight walked over to the half-conscious Verba.

“Please... no...” he begged. “I don’t want to... N-Not yet.”

“Where are my friends?” Twilight demanded.

“I... I don’t know,” he mumbled.

“And I’m supposed to believe that?” Twilight asked. She turned away, saying quietly, “I don’t want to have to fight you anymore, so just tell me and I’ll go away.”

“Ob-... Obsidian, he has them,” Verba began, though the effort made him grunt in pain. A few runes turned to dust. “He sent you after me because... because he knew you’d take the bait. Now... he can do whatever he wants with them. He... He’s the Submaster.”

“How do I know you’re telling the truth?” Twilight asked. “You were just trying to kill me!”

“You struck first,” Verba reminded her quietly. “There’s more than one way to defeat somepony, y’know...”

“And what was I supposed to do then, huh?” Twilight asked.

Verba laughed slightly. “I dunno, aren’t you the clever one?”

Twilight sighed. “So how can I find them?”

Verba raised his hoof feebly, and the shimmering white gateway reopened. “...Through there,” he finally breathed. “But Obsidian... He makes me look like a pushover, so be careful.”

Twilight nodded, taking one last suspicious glance at Verba before departing.

=====================================================================

“Obsidian!” Twilight shouted. She was back in the library, only this time, it was empty.

The wall glowed with a warm light, and words started to write themselves along the wall of the room. It was a poem.

Those who triumph over their tests
Have endless positive hopes and dreams.
Ending Guilt is an important skill,
Unless you want to end your team.

Never give in to your Arrogance
While trying to solve and pass your test.
All those who fall to her whims and desires
Regret the day they said they’re the best.

You’ve finished the trial of Deception;
A harder test does not exist.
Remember the lesson taught to you:
Every doubt, you must resist.

Become enraged and your end is certain;
A loss of sympathy is just the same.
Curb your desire for justification;
Know that you will later feel shame.

Showing off is never acceptable,
Though Envying friends is a different fault.
Although you should never encourage pride,
Beware of your own dragging you to a halt.

Because your friends are all but annihilated,
Everypony now depends on you.
Death is certain.
.
*******

She turned around as cracks began to develop in the library’s floor. The ground shook, and Twilight was almost thrown off her hooves.

“Are you kidding me?!” Twilight yelled as the door flew open behind her. She ran as fast as she could to the outside desert.

The world was breaking apart. Chunks of sand and rock flew every which way as a haphazard and unpredictable wind tossed Twilight’s mane about in all directions. She tried to run, but she didn’t know where she was going. A bright pinprick of light appeared far in the distance. Twilight raced toward it, but the harsh wind impeded her progress.

Give up!” a voice behind Twilight yelled harshly.

Useless!” a voice next to Twilight snapped.

No! Twilight yelled to herself, willing herself onward. I have to save my friends! She struggled through the wind and over the unstable ground toward the bright light on the horizon.

You deserve a break,” a soothing voice beside Twilight said softly. “Take a breather. There’s no rush.

“Go away!” Twilight yelled, swatting the air beside her with her hoof. She met air, but continued staggering on, her vision blurry from grains of sand flying to and fro.

A violent burst of shadow tore the ground apart behind Twilight, and dark knights and undead wraiths started to rise from the darkness. The pale blue desert sky had turned a demonic red as a storm encompassed it.

Can you trust yourself?” another voice asked. “Do you know if you will survive? Do you know if you’re making the right decisions?

“I have to try!” Twilight screamed, relentlessly clawing her way to the pinprick of light on the horizon. A gust of wind knocked her back, but she relentlessly inched her way forward. The dark knights were gaining on Twilight, only a kilometer or two behind her.

Red lightning crackled all around Twilight, turning sand to glass and vibrating the already quaking ground. Chunks of rock started to fly upward, caught in the storm.

Look at you. You’re not making any progress. You should give up now and save yourself the trouble,” another voice scoffed. “Your friends are dead, Twilight. Maybe if you turn back now, you won’t have to join them in their useless parade.

“Don’t you dare say that about my friends! They’re not dead!” Twilight yelled before a stray rock smacked her in the face. Twilight heard a loud crack as her snout broke, and she howled in pain.

The ground had finally started to crumble, breaking away to reveal the final path into the light. The sand and dirt had blown away, but the harsh wind rendered Twilight practically immobile. I’m so close, there’s only a few meters left! she thought, desperately crawling forward.

Applejack could shrug off the pain you’re feeling right now,” an icy voice said. “This wind wouldn’t even faze Rainbow Dash. If they couldn’t succeed, how could you possibly expect to?”

“I’m not going to sit here and do nothing!” Twilight screamed, throwing herself forward as blood streamed down her face. The black knights were almost upon her. A shadowy spear pierced through Twilight’s tail and a few strands of hair were lost as she pulled herself forward.

Twilight finally pulled herself to the light. But it was only that; a glimmer of false hope in the darkness. It didn’t lead anywhere. It didn’t save her friends.

Twilight finally sat down in defeat as the darkness enveloped her in its deathly embrace.

*******

Pinkie hung her head. She had been watching from a distance next to Verba. “So that’s it, huh? Guess this is goodbye.”

“An admirable performance,” a new voice observed.

“Meh... I’ve seen better,” Verba shrugged.

“Yeah...” Pinkie trailed off. Snapping to attention, she glanced behind herself to see the shadowy ‘Element of Honesty’ she had seen earlier. “Y-You!”

The figure’s shadowy form blew away with a single puff of wind. The newly-revealed stallion shook out his glistening black mane as a glowing mandolin levitated to his side. “My true name is Obsidian,” he said.

Pinkie gaped. “You were that shadowy shady dark evil pony that appeared after Verba’s tests!”

Obsidian chuckled. “Verba calls me his Submaster, but I’m not sure if it’s a title I deserve,” he said. “I simply oversee your tests and keep him from telling you too much.”

“Aw, you don’t give yourself enough credit,” Verba said.

“At any rate, Verba and I were working together to test you. Twilight’s test was the final one,” Obsidian explained. “I had kept her safe with me until we were sure she needed to be tested. I have been in the background, though; waiting and watching you. Sometimes, even going as far as to speak with you.”

Pinkie exhaled, the sudden excitement wearing off. “What’s going to happen to me?” she asked sorrowfully.

“Well...” Obsidian began, “technically, I would have to kill you if Twilight didn’t pass her test. However, Twilight’s test wasn’t designed to be passable.”

Pinkie looked up, surprised. “Really?”

Obsidian nodded. “The Element of Magic must never give up until the very, very end. Twilight demonstrated all of the true qualities of Friendship; she forged on through all her pain in an effort to save what she knew was more important than her life. She became something greater, even if it was for only those few moments--she became the pony I know will save Equestria. She passed with flying colors, Pinkie, and I am quite surprised, actually, to hear myself give that kind of praise. Only my brother was able to pass that test, and that was many thousands of years ago.”

“So my friends...?” Pinkie asked hopefully.

Obsidian’s mandolin hovered from his side and began to play a touching melody. A beautiful melody floated through the air while Obsidian’s eyes glowed with a fierce light. One by one, Pinkie’s friends started to return from the darkness.

The first to reappear was Rarity. Her horn glowed with a brilliant light as she was gently lowered to the ground. She was radiant and beautiful, and nopony could best her in that regard. She wore a necklace of a purple diamond-shaped jewel, just like her cutie mark.

Applejack was next. Her form shined with a bright, confident light, the light that a great leader always seems to give off. Her necklace had an orange apple jewel on it, just like her cutie mark.

Next was the ever-loyal Dash, who spread her wings and glided to the ground, completely healed. She gave her life in an attempt to save her friend, and even though it was unsuccessful, she had proven herself even in Obsidian’s regard. Her pendant was a shining ruby lighting bolt.

After Dash was Fluttershy, who appeared out of a soft green light. Fresh smells wafted through the air; it was as if the very essence of nature had woven its way through the surroundings. She had helped her friends through difficult times before, and she would be the last to give up on them. Her necklace had a pink butterfly jewel, ornate and wonderful.

Last was Twilight herself, who appeared in a blinding burst of color that suggested tremendous power and skill. Instead of a necklace, she wore a crown that had an irregular purple six-tined star on the tip. It was so elegant it put mundane jewelry to shame.

Finally, Pinkie felt a presence around her own neck. It tickled a bit, making her laugh. A sapphire balloon appeared on her chest, suspended from a golden chain. I have my own role to play, don’t I? I won’t forget that.

The six friends pulled each other into a warm hug. Despite all that had happened, the magical energy flowing through the air made it impossible to feel anything but warm contentment.

Fluttershy was the one most strongly affected as she tightly clutched Applejack. Ooh, don’t you ever leave me again! I... I thought you were... but you’re not, and that’s all that matters!

Obsidian bowed his head low to the ground in respect for the young warriors as the dust settled. “It is my honor to be your mentor and your guide. I apologize for the horrible trials I have put you through, but I had no other option. I had to prepare you. I beg you to forgive me, my ladies.”

“Heh. Weren’t you all high and mighty a second ago?” Dash asked. “Cut the formality and tell us what we need to know, alright?”

“Yeah, don’t take him too seriously,” Verba said, scratching the back of his neck. “He kinda does this to everypony he tests... He doesn’t get out much.”

Obsidian’s cheeks flushed for a moment and he threw a irritated glance at Verba. To the group, he said, “Yes, I suppose you’re right. This really isn’t the time.”

Twilight stepped forward. “We need an explanation. Now. Starting with why you lied to me and said that you and Verba weren’t working together.”

Obsidian looked away. “I’m afraid that any explanation I would be able to give you is inadequate. I can tell you that you’re here because a Dormientem spell was cast on you. It is a spell that is typically used to contact me, but it was far stronger than usual. Whereas normally an aspiring Element will lose a week or so of their life trying to contact me, it took years for me to get to you.

Fluttershy gulped. “Y-Years?! B-But… what about Ponyville and Equestria? Wh-What happened?”

“There’s no way to know,” Verba explained. “The only way we can see outside our realm is through your necklace... thingies.”

“I did see something long ago, though,” Obsidian said. “It may have been the Nightmare Moon Twilight mentioned. As for lying to you, well, I never said Verba and I weren’t working together, strictly speaking. However, I will admit that I did withhold information, but that was to make sure that if you needed to be tested, it would be in the right environment. You wouldn’t have been able to fight Verba if you knew him beforehoof.”

“That makes sense, but...” Twilight trailed off. “I don’t want to be rude, Obsidian, but you’ve put us through a lot and I want to know why, specifically.”

“Then you must find out yourself. Celestia and Luna should have far more answers than I ever will,” Obsidian stated. “Go outside my realm and I will do my best to guide you, but I believe it’s rather obvious I wish you no ill will. I understand that my explanations are somewhat unclear, but you must expect anything that could possibly come your way. I have some theories of what might have happened, but none are anything more than abstract guesses.”

“Is something wrong with Equestria?” Rarity asked.

“Well, duh,” Verba chuckled. “I mean, you were supposed to come to us as fillies. Not only that, but you should’ve basically had PhDs on the Elements of Harmony, and you come to us not even knowing the basics. There’s got to be something going on, and I don’t think it’s a good thing.”

“Ah guess…” Applejack agreed hesitantly. “So what now?”

“You have but one option,” Obsidian said. “You must go out into the real world and help me figure out what’s going on. The outside may be perfectly fine, but I have a very strong feeling it isn’t, and since I am the part of you that represents intuition, I don’t tend to distrust my instinct.”

They paused.

“We can’t really make sure you’re safe out there, you know. We can barely keep from tearing each other apart as is,” Verba said, nudging Obsidian.

“If something is wrong,” Obsidian began, ignoring Verba, “if something has happened, if order has collapsed, I cannot guarantee that you will be safe. I cannot guarantee anything.”

Absolute silence.

“Well…” Dash began. “I’m not going to sit on my flank and do nothing! If it means protecting Equestria, then what are we waiting for?”

“Yeah!” Applejack agreed. “If Equestria’s in trouble, we’d better git outta here as quick as we can ta help!”

“You’re not leaving without me!” Rarity said.

“Or me,” Fluttershy said. “We need to stick together.”

“We need to protect each other,” Pinkie added.

“If Equestria truly is in danger, then we’ll do our very best to protect it,” Twilight finished. She looked Obsidian in the eye threateningly. “But if you ever hurt my friends again, training or no training, I’ll have you removed from your post. Understand?”

“Well, I did some stuff, too...” Verba trailed off.

Obsidian looked at Twilight. “Pulling rank already, are we?” he laughed. “Well, I’m not too surprised. A crown has quite an effect on a lady.”

Twilight shrugged him off, a bit miffed. “You were the one just bowing to me.” The others laughed a bit.

Obsidian chuckled. “Of course, I was bowing to all of you. Anyway, if you are ever in dire danger, I will try my best to lead you in the right direction.”

A door opened behind him. It glowed with a bright light.

Dash rubbed her eyes and squinted. “What is it with you and bright lights?”

“I’ve always wondered that myself,” Verba said, though since he lacked eyes, he could stare directly through the gateway.

Obsidian smiled. “Light symbolizes truth. If you follow the path of light, you will live a happy and fulfilled life. Follow the path of truth, and you will be able to protect Equestria. I hope that you stay true to your cause and remember what I have taught you.”

I should be suspicious, I guess, Dash thought, but we’re alright, and that’s what counts in the end. I guess we’ll just have to make sure we don’t rely on Obsidian or Verba too much. We need to find out what to do on our own.

Twilight was the only one to look back at the two mentors before going through the door that was supposed to lead to the outside. I can’t help but wonder... how do I know they’re telling the truth?

How can I trust them after what they’ve done?

=====================================================================

[Note]: I do not own anything in this story that already belongs to someone else.
This entire storyline takes place BEFORE season two, but AFTER season one.