• Published 10th Jan 2013
  • 14,519 Views, 61 Comments

Cutie Mark Chronicles Redux - ColtClassic



Some years after the show, the Cake twins learn the stories of how the Cutie Mark Crusaders got their Cutie Marks, as well as some surprising facts about their old foalsitter.

  • ...
2
 61
 14,519

How Apple Bloom Got Her Cutie Mark

The road from Sweet Apple Acres to Fluttershy's cottage had turned into a river of mud. The squelching of Applejack's hooves in the muck and the creaking wheels of the cart she pulled matched the rhythm of the jostling that Apple Bloom felt atop her sister's back. When the mire had proved too difficult for her short legs to traverse, her older sister had grown impatient and insisted on giving Apple Bloom a ride for the short journey. Apple Bloom had complained, of course, but she was secretly both proud and grateful to have an older sister to take care of her. She was also vaguely aware at times that the point of no longer getting ponyback rides from her older sister was coming close. It was nothing that either of them said, but the days where Applejack would scoop Apple Bloom up, throw her on her back, and place her cowboy hat on her head were growing fewer and farther between.

Not that Apple Bloom would think of grabbing AJ's hat at the moment. Her older sister was usually the nicest pony that she knew, but last night's storm had woken up something in Applejack that she almost never saw. Apple Bloom had seen a timber wolf once, lurking at the edge of the farm during Zap Apple season. It had been only for a moment, but the strange creature had turned and looked her in the eye, and its steely gaze had burned itself into the young pony's memory. All morning long, whenever she caught Applejack's eyes, she swore she could see the same expression, and though her sister's anger wasn't directed even remotely at her, she wasn't eager to cause her any more distress.

So they made the journey to the cottage in uneasy silence. As they rounded the bend and the small building came into view, any lingering thought on her relationship with her sister fled Apple Bloom's mind. All of Ponyville was a mess, and Sweet Apple Acres was no exception either, but the small forest clearing that Fluttershy called home looked like a disaster area. Normally full of flowers and small animals, the gardens surrounding the house were now a debris-filled swamp. She could see her older brother making his way through the puddles, treading carefully over the creatures that ran in confusion around his heavy hooves. Fallen branches and upended bushes littered the small hill on which the cottage stood, and the stone path leading up to the door had been all but washed away.

This destruction was a minor footnote, however, to the cottage itself. A large tree had been struck by lightning and fallen through the middle of the small home. Half the building was destroyed, and the contents of the other half had been left to the mercy of the storm. Broken wood and the majority of Fluttershy's soaked possessions were scattered halfway to the edge of the Everfree Forest.

The yellow pegasus herself was sitting at the edge of the stream that wound through the gardens. Apple Bloom thought that she looked more lost than any pony she had ever seen, and although she didn't know what to do or say, her heart went out to her. After a nod from her sister, she jumped of Applejack's back and helped unhitch her from the vehicle. She climbed over the wood heaped in the cart, and watched as her sister and Fluttershy shared a hug.

“I'm awful sorry, sugar.”

“It's... it's alright. It's just things. I've talked to the animals, and I don't think anyone's hurt too bad. I'll feel better when they're all accounted for and back home.”

“Right. Well, we better get workin' so they got a home to come back to. First order of business is rebuilding this here bridge. Then we can get some equipment cross the stream and get that tree out of your house. Sound good?”

Fluttershy nodded, but she was once again staring forlornly at the wreck of her house. Applejack sighed, then kicked at the mud with a scowl on her face.

“What Ah don't get is why you ain't angry at her.”

The pegasus started, then turned to her friend. “Angry? I couldn't be angry. It isn't her fault, after all.”

“'Not her fault'?! How in Celestia's name is this 'not her fault'? Her fault is exactly what this all is!”

“Please don't be mad, Applejack. I don't know exactly what happened, but she was really upset about something, and I could never blame her for anything.” At this point, Apple Bloom thought she could see tears forming at the corners of Fluttershy's eyes. “Besides, they still haven't found her yet. She could... she could be lost... or... or...”

“'Lost.' Skipped town, more like. That'd be just like her, make a mess then leave it for the rest of us to clean up.”

“How can you say that? She's your friend!”

“Not so sure about that any more. At moment Ah feel like if she ever shows her face around Ponyville again, she might just earn herself a kick in the face from yours truly. And that goes double if Pinkie doesn't turn up in one piece.”

Applejack's voice was on the edge of shouting, and Fluttershy looked like she was trying to hide behind her flowing pink hair. As Applejack's last words echoed through the clearing, Apple Bloom could only stare in shock at her sister's outburst. When Fluttershy didn't respond, Applejack sighed and hung her head.

“Ah'm sorry. It's just that everypony's lives have been upturned by this haypickin' storm, and Ah know it's wrong, but it feels like she let us down somehow. Ah don't blame you for stickin' by her side, Ah just wish... Ah just wish she was more deservin' of your friendship.”

Fluttershy's voice was barely above a whisper. “It's okay. You can't help how you feel. Anymore than she can.”

Applejack snorted. “Apple Bloom, why don't you help us unload all this so Ah can head back to the farm for the next load. We need to get to work here.”

As the three of them piled the wood next to the stream, Fluttershy began to fidget nervously. After Applejack was hitched to the cart again, she finally spoke up.

“You don't have to do this, you know. I'm sure there's lots of repairs that need to be done on the farm.”

“It ain't a problem, sugarcube. The farm'll keep. You need somewhere to live. Besides,” she mumbled as she started down the muddy road, “proper friends look out for each other.”

The clattering of the empty cart slowly died down as Applejack disappeared down the road, leaving Apple Bloom and Fluttershy sitting awkwardly with only the chirping of the birds and the gurgle of the stream to fill the silence. Fluttershy was staring at the sky, and Apple Bloom found herself struggling with a strange feeling. She knew that Fluttershy was hurting, and that she wanted to comfort her somehow. But Fluttershy was an Adult, and so despite the pegasus's timid personality, Apple Bloom had an implicit admiration and respect for her. Adults knew what to do. Adults took care of problems. Adults didn't need the help of little foals. The idea that she would be the one to take care of Fluttershy and not the other way around was an unusual revelation, and it made Apple Bloom vaguely uncomfortable.

Fluttershy coughed. “Well, I... I guess I'd better get back to helping the animals.”

Apple Bloom perched herself atop the woodpile and followed Fluttershy with her eyes as she wandered into the swamp mess. The moment to say something had passed, and there was nothing for Apple Bloom to do but watch Fluttershy leave. She was so lost in contemplation that she didn't notice her brother approaching until she heard the loud splashes as he waded through the stream.

“'Morning, Apple Bloom.”

“'Morning, Big Mac.”

“What'cha doin' here?”

“Ah wanted to go find Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, but Applejack said she wanted to keep an eye on me, so she made me come with her to help you guys. Ah told her Ah could take care of myself, but she wasn't havin' it.”

“She has the right of it. Ain't safe for little ponies out there right now.”

“Ah ain't a little pony!”

“Well, then you can pitch in and do your share of work, like a big pony and an Apple.”

Apple Bloom snorted at Big Mac, who towered over her even from position on top of the woodpile. Most ponies wouldn't be able to tell when Big Mac was joking, but Apple Bloom could see the tiny twitch at the corners of his mouth and the look of quiet triumph in his eyes. As she hopped back to the ground and opened up the toolbox, she heard the low rumble of his chuckle behind her. Despite his teasing, she knew he was right. An Apple's place was with her family.

As they set to work driving posts into the muddy earth, Apple Bloom's mind wandered back to the yellow pegasus whose bridge they were building. She could see Fluttershy flying aimlessly from tree to tree, talking to the birds that hopped restlessly among the branches. Apple Bloom had seen Fluttershy flying many times, and normally the mare flew with a serene beauty, almost floating through the air. But today she seemed heavier, as if merely keeping herself aloft was the most difficult of burdens. After several moments of watching her, a thought burst out of Apple Bloom's mouth before she even had time to think it.

“You should go talk to her.”

Her brother lifted his head from the post he was hammering and stared at her blankly. “Applejack?”

“No. Miss Fluttershy.”

Big Mac followed Apple Bloom's gaze to where the pegasus drifted through the air. “How do you figure?”

“Look at her. She's hurtin', and it ain't just because her house is smashed. Her heart's banged up too, and she needs somepony to help her.”

“You don't think Ah can see that? Ah just don't see how that pony is me.”

“Why wouldn't it be you? When we was all runnin' down to the cellar last night, who ran down the road and fetched and made sure she was safe? Way Ah heard it, she was so scared she could hardly move! If you hadn't taken care of her, she would've been in that cottage when that tree fell and gotten smooshed to bits! Way Ah see, you're her hero. Her knight in shinin' armor, or whatnot.”

“That's different.”

“Why? She needed you then. She needs you now.”

“Ah couldn't do anythin' for her. You know ah ain't good with words.”

Big Mac scraped at the ground with a hoof, and Apple Bloom was struck with the same sense of wonder she had experienced with Fluttershy. It wasn't just the realization that her mountain of a brother, who had seemed so fearless and capable all her life, needed help with something. It was the idea that she could provide that help. She wasn't just a bystander. She wasn't just a foal.

“Big Mac, you're better with words than anypony I know.”

Her brother raised an eyebrow at that, but she pressed on. “It's true! 'Cuz you're always honest, and always speak your heart, and... and you say more with two words than most ponies manage with two dozen. Honest, you do. And you know that if you went over there to be with her, it would mean the world to her.”

Big Mac was gazing in Fluttershy's direction. The pegasus had glanced in their direction, her eyes almost hidden beneath her long pink mane. Apple Bloom could see the gears turning in Big Mac's head. She knew the way his brain worked. Slow but strong, and steady as an oak tree. Finally, he spoke quietly, more to himself than to his sister.

“Ah reckon you might be right.”

His first step was hesitant, but each step he took across the muddy clearing brought more resolve to his posture. When she could hear the murmur of the two ponies' voice, she turned her attention back to the beginnings of the wooden bridge. It looked like she would have to finish it herself.

“Just as well,” she muttered. “He was hammerin' these posts in all wrong. They're too far apart.”

Hauling the planks and holding them in position wasn't easy with her short legs, but by the time Applejack returned with the the cart, Apple Bloom had set up what she felt was a decent framework. She was heavily absorbed in her task, and barely turned to greet her sister. Applejack let out a grunt as she unhitched herself.

“Where's your brother and Fluttershy?”

“Went off. Down the road, Ah think.”

“What for?”

“To talk.”

“Uh huh. And you're workin' on this here bridge.”

“Yep. Built it all by myself.”

Her sister trotted up to join her at the riverbed, and Apple Bloom sighed. “Ah know, ah know. Stop messin' around.”

The expected admonition didn't come. In fact, Applejack seemed thoughtful. Cheerful, even.

“Well go ahead. Tell me that it's no good, that you're gonna have to knock it all down and start over.”

“Looks fine to me. Ah reckon' it'll hold.”

“Wait, really? What makes you so certain?”

Applejack was almost beaming as she reached out and nudged Apple Bloom's flank. “Well, for starters, that.”