• Published 10th Jan 2013
  • 427 Views, 0 Comments

Letters from North Everfree - FriscoPony



A story told from the perspective a soldier in the Royal Guard on the front lines of the Dark Pony War

  • ...
 0
 427

Chapter 2

“Fall in Charlie Company!” called Blitz as the chaos on the base runway ensued the next morning. I had my uniform dusted off, tightened, pressed, and made sure that the emblem of the pegasi division of the royal guard was clearly readable so that in case something were to happen to me, I would be clearly identified as an ally. In the crisp morning air, I looked around to see pretty much every pegasi packed and ready to defend our home. Wings were stretched, prayers were being said, and some ponies even put on war paint to build spirits. Charlie 9 was looking sharp, but was trying to remain relaxed by talking to one another.

“This is going to be quite an undertaking,” said Soarin to Spitfire who was still straightening her uniform. She tried to respond but right now her mind was on the ensuing battle ahead.

“It will be,” she said, “and we will fight like heroes, not just for our survival, but the survival of our homeland and everyone in it.”

I could only smile, but Aqua Star had her doubts. “Oh please,” she said disgusted checking her medical saddle bags, “You may sound all strong and tough now, but are you ready for all of that gunfire? And artillery? Some if it might even be friendly fire from your own fellow comrades.”

“Sometimes we have to die in the line of duty in order to fully serve our nation,” I said trotting over to Aqua Star. I stared at her dead in the face as I wanted her just to shut the hell up with all of her bravery shit, I was tired of it and just wanted to end her right here, right now. I knew it wasn’t right, I couldn’t do that, not when we have to come together in order to defend our home. “However,” I said breathing in her face, “I guess you would already know that, wouldn’t you?”

Aqua Star merely brushed me off and returned to the infirmary tent to make sure she had everything. I only smiled as I knew she wasn’t going to give us anymore lip after that. Spitfire then trotted over to me; she had a look of defeat in her eyes. Something was wrong, but I didn’t know what. “You didn’t have to stand up for me,” she said trying not to look thankful.

I could only smile. “That’s what friends are for right?”

“Indeed they are,” said a voice from behind me. Then a rather strong stallion stepped into view. He was white from head to hoof, he was wearing an officers uniform, but he was also wearing his armor from the guard (due to all of the gear pegasi need to carry, they are not required to wear it due to the circumstances, as it is with the other divisions. Only unicorns and Colonels are required to wear the armor into battle) and he had a baby blue mane and tail. His eyes were of a determined lime as he looked very strong. His cutie mark was that of a shield with the cross of the pony crusades, a failed endeavor of years past to establish an alliance with the dragons. He gave a small smile.

“Might I ask who you are?” asked Spitfire with a confused look.

Blitz then walked into the picture, also wearing his armor. “This is Corporal Oxycoccus,” he said looking at him. “He is the commander of Charlie 8, another squadron of ponies in Charlie Company. It is also the smallest.”

“Size doesn’t matter,” said Corporal Oxycoccus looking back at Blitz. “It is rather a squadron’s heart that makes it strong in battle, yet emotional in burying our fallen.”

I then looked confused. “If you don’t mind sir,” I asked patiently, “How many ponies make up your squad.”

“We have one medic, we have a spotter, we have one infantry pony, and then myself so that makes 4,” he replied with a serious expression. “I guarantee you,” he said, “we are a strong squadron; we just don’t have the numbers to prove it.”

“I understand,” I said turning back and looking at Spitfire. “We aren’t a big squad either.”

“But we do have one of the fastest filers in Equestria,” said Spitfire proudly opening her golden wings. I could smile knowing that she actually did have quite the speed advantage over everyone in Camp Eclipse. “So help them Celestia if I get good turbulence.”

“EEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!” shouted Soarin watching his pie towards the ground. “MY MORNING PIE!”

On his back stood an alicorn who was enjoying a small moment of victory; he was a blue hue of violet and his hair was a very light blonde color. His cutie mark was that of a star in the center of the galaxy. He appeared to be rather strong, and here he was wasting it on pulling a prank on Soarin. “Never eat before a big battle,” he laughed. “It’s bad for when your adrenaline begins to rise!”

“But I’m hungry!” said Soarin turning tail and staring down the alicorn. “YOU JUST DESTROYED MY BREAKFAST YOU SHIT!”

“Soarin! Front and Center!” called Blitz looking at him seriously. Soarin could only do nothing as he began to walk slowly towards Blitz. He raised a hoof in salute and then looked at me praying that he didn’t just make a serious mistake; but by the way Blitz called him over, he had just made a huge mistake.

“Yes sir?” he asked looking at him nervously.

“I do not have time for fillies play,” he boomed in his face. “If you want to horse around keep playing around on the battlefield and gladly get yourself killed, or you can stay here and face the court martial. Straighten up and fly right, am I clear?”

“Yes Sir.”

The Alicorn merely stood smiling in his glory but Corporal Oxycoccus also stared down the Alicorn. “That goes for you too Universae,” he boomed towards him.

Universae turned straight and silently saluted in defeat. “Yes sir,” he said.

Soarin then trotted over towards Universae and was actually now confused. “What kind of a name is Universae?” asked Soarin.

The alicorn took offense to this and stared him down angrily. “That’s Prince Universae to you, pie boy,” he said.

Soarin then got in Universae’s face in response, “and for YOUR information,” he said, “The name is SOARIN! REMEMBER IT!”

Universae was about to give him a good one right in the snout when a coaches whistle sounded off from Cloud Storm. He sat in the Watch tower and looked down on the runway. Immediately all of the companies formed into their respective rows and prepared for flight. Wings were opened, excess feathers were shaken off, and all eyes were pointed towards the sky. Even I had to admit I was more than anxious to finally get up in the air and join the ensuing battle on the front lines. I looked over at Spitfire with an anxious and determined smile, knowing that there was no turning back from here. Spitfire smiled back. “You ready?” she said.

“Ready as I will ever be,” I replied stretching my wings long and wide.

Cloud Storm then looked at his watch as the mid-day sun finally rose to peak the horizon. He then looked down at the 300 pegasi that lined the runway as 100 stayed behind in case something was to happen. “Mares, Stallions,” he called form the top of the watch tower, “Godspeed.” Suddenly, a flag dropped, it was the flag of the royal guard. It dropped and slowly fell down to the ground and just like that, the 43rd pegasi division was on their way to north neighagra falls to protect their homeland and stop the advancing troop from getting into Manehattan and close towards the mountains where Celestia’s castle stood. Judging by the looks of most of their eyes, they weren’t going to let that happen, not now, not ever.
~~~

We had been flying for roughly 2 hours now. We had flown past Celestia’s castle to see Celestia, and her two bandaged sister’s wave to us and also wish us good luck. It was a heartwarming sight, even though I had been to Canterlot more than once, but still, it never got old every time I spotted those white towers with Golden Tops. I do enjoy it, and I think it gave us all a small boost of confidence, well, almost everyone.

“I’m hungry…” said Soarin looking down at the apple trees. “I want my pie back…” He almost wanted to rip off his goggles and use them to catch an apple from the tree as quick as a whip, but Spitfire kept him straight. “Stay on mission,” she said gently nudging him so that he wouldn’t flop over. “You can eat when we get back home.”

“But I’ll pass out because I haven’t had anything to eat, maybe throw up, maybe even DIE!” he said becoming more determined and preparing to power towards the clouds. I could only laugh feeling bad for him.

“Well that’s why we have Aqua Star,” I said looking over at her with a smile. Aqua star however looked very unamoused and said nothing as we continued on.

Another hour soon drew by, and we knew that we were now close to the front lines as the sounds of cannon fire could be heard very faintly in the distance. I knew that this was it; everything we had prepared for had come down to this moment. I wanted to know what Spitfire was thinking, so I looked over at her. I wanted to give her a gentle nudge, but when I looked over at her, I felt something different. I inspected her from head to hoof, but the thing is it wasn’t exactly to see if she was missing any pieces on her uniform, but rather I looked at her hair as it flew freely in the wing with her tail following suit. “You’re beautiful,” I thought aloud. Unfortunately, she heard me and quickly turned her head.

“What was that?” she asked with a puzzled look on her face.

“Oh,” I said stammering trying to hide a blush, “I mean this scenery is really beautiful from up here. Whenever I get the spare time I’ll have to fly up here to spend a day.”

Spitfire smiled, “It is nice,” she said. “I’ve been up here many times myself just to be alone for a nice cloud nap. It’s peaceful.”

“I could use a cloud nap as of right now,” said Soarin giving out a gently yawn.

“No time for naps or rest now everypony,” called Blitz to Charlie 9. “Look ahead.”

I remember looking ahead at the sheer horror of what awaited us. There were the cannons of the armored division as well as a row of unicorns standing ready to fire at the first sight of the enemy. The runway was empty as the 22nd had already left for the first bombing run, and it was sizable enough that the 43rd could fit without crashing into some pony. With that, the 43rd let off of its wings and gently glided down towards the runway, one pony at a time. Standing there to greet them was a stallion unicorn with a blue mane, and was also wearing Royal Guard armor. He was apparently the captain of the current operation.

“Fall in,” he said.

“Immediately the other pegasi stood in attention as Blitz then stepped forward from our line, and firmly saluted the unicorn. “Captain Armor,” he said saluting.

Shining Armor then saluted back, “Captain Blitz,” he then extended out his hoof as Shining Armor then grabbed it and gave it a firm shake. “Good to see the 43rd still up and flying on such short notice,” he said.

We can’t let you have all of the fun alone Captain, “He said smiling.” Immediately Blitz turned to face us as Shining Armor stepped forward. “As you already know,” he began, “I am Shining Armor, and currently the commander of the 32nd unicorn artillery as you may have already guessed by my appearance.” He then began pacing us up and down our rows, however he wasn’t quite the cheery “rah-rah kick their asses” kind of mood. He was actually in a rather doubtful mood, you could tell by the look in his eyes.

“I won’t lie to you,” he began, “This military does have experience in war as they have fended of the dragons from invading both of their nations. The Kings however have control of their nation by something called a dark gem.” He then held up the pitch black gem in front of the 43rd. It was in a case covered and sealed its powers off by magic. Even then, the sheer power of the small gem could be felt from right where I was standing. I could tell it was a force to be reckoned with as it had a dark purple glow surrounding it. With that, Shining Armor hid the gem silently away in its respective case.

“Understand, this gem is attached like a very light glue,” continued Shining Armor. “It can be removed, but the problem is where it is placed, and what will happen when it is removed.”

Spitfire then patiently raised her hoof high. “Sir, where are the gems placed, and what happens when they are pulled or removed?”

Shining Armor closed his eyes in regret. “They are placed next to the heart,” he said. “We tried to remove one from a captured stallion, but when we began surgery, we found that they were attached directly to the heart when they are exposed to light. When we tried to remove it, we destroyed the heart, and the stallion died.” Shining Armor then raised his hoof to wipe a tear from his eyes. “It’s terrible what the kings have done to the citizens, unfortunately it is also more powerful than Princess Celestia’s magic and with her sisters seriously injured, and they cannot make a spell to reverse the gems.”

I was shocked. I now wanted both of the king’s heads on a platter. To do that to innocent ponies? All of taking the story light, you can forget it now. I wanted to fight. Spitfire had tears in her eyes as I looked at her with expressive empathy. I then looked at Shining Armor with nothing but rage and a sense of mission. Something told me that I wasn’t alone in that feeling either. “How much time until they begin the assault Captain Armor?” I asked intently.

Shining Armor then looked up in the sky, noticing the 22nd Pegasi division had finally returned from the reconnaissance mission. “It depends on what they have to say,” he said pointing up to the sky. I was praying to Celestia that the situation wasn’t as bad as it seemed, but then again, I looked up, and noticed that they were falling faster than what we would consider a modest glide. Lower and lower they fell gaining speed, their wings were flapping, but something was definitely wrong.

“Straighten up!” called Blitz towards the approaching herd. “You’re coming in too fast and too steep!” Even I knew that something was horrendously wrong, but then I saw something no pony should see. Immediately, the leader of the squadron hit the ground hard, barrel rolled, and one of his wings flew off, as blood began to fall all over the runway. He wasn’t alone in this crash landing as soon 20 more pegasi came down in some crushing way, while 25 came down with heavy bruises, and 25 afterwards came down unscathed with light scars.

“Holy Celestia…” I said running over. “Come on Spitfire help us out! Aqua Star you need to help!”

Aqua Star wasted no time as she reached into her saddle bag and pulled out all of the medical supplies that she needed. Shining Armor then galloped over towards the injured leader of the 22nd, badly bleeding, wing barely hanging on. “What are we expecting,” asked Shining Armor looking down at the hard breathing stallion.

The stallion only looked up at him with intent and fear. “Hell,” he said as life quickly left his body. Shining Armor then placed the lifeless corpse back down on the ground as he slowly got up. “Everypony listen up!” he said quickly getting every ponies attention. “Medics, take care of who you can, squadron medics, go with your squads, everypony else, prepare yourselves. We’re going to war.”