• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 13,172 Views, 397 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Cold War - An A10 Warthog



When Equestria arrives on Earth and declares humanity 'evil' and 'unfit' the Soviet Union and the United States have to join forces to save humanity.

  • ...
39
 397
 13,172

Chapter 4: Flashpoint

September 24th, 1986 1254 EST
The War Room,
Washington, D.C.
United States

"It's still expanding sir- if we don't stop it within two weeks, Hawaii will be lost," The Naval Intelligence Officer said to Reagan as he stood there considering his options.

"I want the Battleships- The Iowa and Missouri- I want them in firing range of that barrier ASAP. If that doesn't crush the barrier, well, then we'll be in serious trouble then."

The officer nodded and proceeded to go on with the president's plan. Reagan knew he should get a plan together in case the barrage would not crush the barrier.


September 24th, 1986 1602 GMT
USS Sapian
60 miles from the barrier,
The Pacific Ocean

The first units of Force Reconnaissance were preparing for the assault. Nathan Jacks' team would launch as soon as the barrier fell, which, according to his commander, would be 'soon'. Nathan took that to mean that it would be at least a day before they would be on Equestrian soil.

That didn't matter much, as they were letting him pack his weapons and gear already, so he grabbed his rifle- a Colt CAR-15. He also grabbed his pistol- a newly issued Beretta M9, which he didn't like compared to the M1911, but it got the job done. Next, he grabbed his combat pack. Now, he had to wait.


September 24th, 1986 1712 GMT
USS Iowa
22 miles from the barrier,
The Pacific Ocean

The massive battleship moved towards the barrier with her 16" guns ready. The ship lined up adjacent to the barrier and prepared to fire. The Captain on the bridge looked at the purple barrier in the distance and picked up a radio handset. He spoke simple words into the mouthpiece, "Fire now."

The massive ship began to rock in the water as the massive guns fired. The massive sixteen inch rounds flying from the ship to their mark, twenty-two miles away on the barrier's purple surface. It took nearly a minute, but they saw the explosions from the deck of their ship, and waited, expectantly and eagerly for the barrier to collapse. As the sound wave from the explosion hit them they realized one thing; the barrier didn't collapse. This was disappointing,so the Captain told the men to reload and fire again.

Two minutes later they had the same result. No failure on the part of the barrier, despite the massive amount of lead they just threw at it. Immediately, they called in telling the Pentagon about what happened. They were told to move to a thirty mile distance from the barrier to be in the 'safe zone'.


24th September, 1986 1725 GMT
The Kremlin
Moscow,
Russia

"-I know it seems ridiculous, but the barrier is still intact. We need to use nuclear weapons."

"Yes, Mr. President, I can see that being a, uh, logical solution." Gorbachev replied.

"I thought you should know, well, I think you know why."

"I understand Mr. President."

And with that, the Red Telephone went silent.


24th September, 1986 1746 GMT
Equestrian Royal Guard Barrier Post #27
28 miles from Stalliongrad,
Equestria

The troops had already ran away screaming an hour earlier when the battleship had began firing on the barrier, and had just reassembled when something very loud and large hit the barrier, and it collapsed entirely. The ponies weren't even fully shielded themselves, as the blast killed many of them as well. Those that survived considered themselves lucky. Unfortunately for them, their death wouldn't be as quick as that of their comrades. They would all die slowly and painfully in months and years to come.


24th September, 1986 1800 GMT
Multiple Positions around the Barrier
Human Controlled Territory
The Pacific Ocean

From the East, Equestria faced the threat of hundreds of Russian paratrooper aircraft and amphibious assault vehicles, all of which were launched the second they received word the barrier had fallen. YAK-38's, KA-25's and Mi-8's were all launched from their ships as they began their massive assault. In the skies above, a fleet of Il-76TD aircraft, belonging to the VDV, were ready to drop thousands of paratroopers deep into Equestria immediately.

Their odds from the West were just as grim, if not more so. Six American amphibious assault ships, two American Nimitz-Class Carriers, one British Invincible class, two battleships, twelve destroyers and an American Air Base in Hawaii only three hundred miles away, with the 101st United States Airborne Ready to deploy. American LCACs were being launched to deploy M1 Abrams tanks onto the shore of Equestria the second they made landfall, Harriers were already bombing positions that were now incredibly exposed after the strike.

All in all, Equestria was about to have a really bad day.