• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 13,170 Views, 397 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Cold War - An A10 Warthog



When Equestria arrives on Earth and declares humanity 'evil' and 'unfit' the Soviet Union and the United States have to join forces to save humanity.

  • ...
39
 397
 13,170

Chapter 1: Contact

18:42 UTC, September 7th, 1986
USS Iwo Jima Command Center
LPH-2 Amphibious Assault Ship
The Pacific Ocean
54 Miles From the Barrier

The room was in chaos. They were close enough to send helicopters to survey the area that the barrier was believed to have engulfed, as well as search for any ships that had been unfortunate enough to be there at the time. It was certain that a cruise ship that had left port from Honolulu two days prior was in the are of effect, and had not had established any contact whatsoever since the barrier appeared. It was increasingly likely that the 2,000 persons on the ship had been a complete loss.

The Marine Captain looked at the chart that showed the area that was affected. Samuel Johnson knew his men would have to go over to the barrier to investigate. They would probably send some of them in on CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters for search and rescue, and others would come in on other helicopters for offensive and defensive capabilities. Suddenly, he heard a shout from the bridge. Sam reflexively prepped his M16A2, and ran towards the deck.

His jaw fell open when he saw what the shouting was about. A large purple translucent wall was now becoming visible through the dense fog. It was clear that there was a landmass on the other side, even if it was slightly faded. Sam wondered the only thing that a US Marine officer would in his situation- When are we going to launch the landing?

The Captain wasn't an idiot- he knew they wouldn't just attack a plausible extra-terrestrial settlement without reason, Other than the thousands that are probably dead now, but it probably was an accident, and declaring war without reason would be stupid. Breaking out of his shock, he closed his mouth and proceeded back into the command center. But the Captain knew one thing- history was being made here.


1205 UTC, 8 September 1986
United Nations Main Office
Geneva, Switzerland
Europe

Soviet fighters followed the vehicle as it had left the barrier, and had been doing so for hours now. Soon, the planes ran low on fuel and were replaced by other MiGs. As they entered Switzerland, they were replaced by Swiss F5's. Once it had landed on the street in front of the UN Headquarters, news crews swarmed the area with helicopters, vans and news teams.

The ponies that were on the vehicle, that could be safely called a 'chariot' had entered a nearby building, including the exhausted pegasi carrying it. The news crews swarmed the entrance, but only a few could get inside, and for those that did, it was the greatest journalistic story in the history of the human species.

The ponies wanted to speak with leaders from around the world, The United States and The Soviet Union, namely. Thus, the United Nations quickly notified Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbochev. Their mutual consensus on arrival would be eight days.

1222 UTC, September 8th, 1986
The Oval Office
Washington, D.C.
United States

"Please say that again, I could have sworn you said a pony princess," Reagan said as more of a statement than a question to the man on the other end of the phone.

"I did sir, and she says she's from a land called, uhm," it was audible he put his hand over his microphone and asked the pony in question, "Equestria, sir."

The American president did a double take. Well, an alien's an alien, he decided realizing it didn't matter if they were little green men or pink ponies, they were other worldly visitors, and they should be treated the same, none the less.

"I'll see how long it will take to get Air Force One ready, but you can expect me to be there ASAP."

"Yes sir," The Swiss man on the phone replied.

Reagan sighed, This was going to be a long month.


0954 UTC, 16 September 1986
Aéroport International de Genève
Geneva, Switzerland
Europe

The wheels of the white and blue Boeing 707 touched down on the runway. Above,a pair of F-15s was orbiting the airport. The pilot of the outdated jet was handed over by tower to the ground frequency, as he taxied to a ramp. Air stairs pulled up to the plane and the actor-turned-president stepped out, smiling and waving for the cameras. He climbed into a heavily modified black Cadillac limousine that sported the Presidential Seal.

The limo drove towards the UN building. The second he stepped out of his limo, he was surrounded by news crews, and if it weren't for the Secret Service agents and UN Guards, he would have been mobbed even more. However, he managed to dodge the reporters and enter the building.

The Secretary General shook his hand, "Good to see you got here in once piece,"

"Well, you get used to it after a while," Reagan said in good humor.

"So, are you ready for this?" the Secretary said moving himself in front of the American president, barring him from entering the convention room.

"I've seen their pictures," Reagan replied, "I can handle this."

The Secretary-General looked unsure, but stepped out of the way, allowing the two UN Guards to open the door. Immediately, Reagan walked over to the conference table and took a seat. Along with Celestia, sat Mikhail Gorbochev, Margaret Thatcher, Li Xiannian and François Mitterrand. Reagan was surprised about Celestia, still though, he had a goal, and gawking in surprise about someone's looks certainly wouldn't win him any friends.

"Lady Celestia," He spoke, "Do you have any intentions for what you will do on Earth?"

Celestia smiled, "I want to help you."