• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 13,181 Views, 397 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Cold War - An A10 Warthog



When Equestria arrives on Earth and declares humanity 'evil' and 'unfit' the Soviet Union and the United States have to join forces to save humanity.

  • ...
39
 397
 13,181

Prologue: Collision

1548 UTC, September 7th, 1986,
United States Air Defense Operations Center,
Cheyenne Mountain,
Colorado, United States


The Airman sat at his terminal, shaking his head in dismay at the display's information. He raised his hand up and spoke, "Sir.." he said, quite softly, as he was quite clearly unnerved.

The officer in command walked over briskly with an expression on his face that made his no-bullshit attitude very apparent. He put his hand on the shoulder of the enlisted man and asked quite simply, "What have we got?"

He turned back to the screen, pointing at a green outlined map of the world, specifically an area in the Pacific Ocean, with amounts of distortion that to the untrained eye didn't look like much- but to a professional, it was very significant. "Navy AWACS just picked this up. Not sure what in the hell it is, but it's significant."

The Commanding Officer narrowed his eyes, "Does the President know?"

The man shook his head. So, I'll have to tell him, the officer sighed. He hated having to be the one to tell anyone anything especially not news like this to the President. Reluctantly, he walked over to the phone on a wall nearby and picked it up. He dialed a number and waited.

"What the hell is going on down there?"

He took a deep breath, "Mr. President, there's a situation developing in the Pacific,"

Silence. Two seconds of silence. "What kind of situation?"

"Something, I have no idea what as of this time, has appeared on radar in the Pacific. It has a signature that indicates massive amounts of radiation."

Reagan swore. He knew what this meant.

"I'll talk to the Russians then," He said quickly, the phone line going dead quickly after that.


1605 UTC, 7 September, 1986,
Mikhail Gorbachev's Office,
Moscow,
Russia, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics

The Communist leader picked up the red telephone the second it rang, wanting a distraction from signing the documents retaining those killed in the most recent battle in Afghanistan. He didn't expect what he heard next.
"Mr. Gorbachev, were you aware of a surge of radiation in the Pacific Ocean today?"

Mikhail took a double take. Reagan was pissed, and he believed that the CCCP was responsible. More importantly, how the hell did he not know about this? Were his own men incompetent enough not to have noticed this? Or did they simply not want to tell him? As if on cue, two men wearing Soviet Navy uniforms entered the room, the one on Gorbachev's right carrying a portfolio.

He took all of his will power not to facepalm, and instead waved them off. But, he had more important matters. He moved the receiver of the device back to his head and replied to the capitalist superpower's leader. "No, I am not, please tell me what is going on?" He said as calmly as he could, which, to be frank, wasn't very calmly at all.

"There was a large area, 'bout the size of Texas, in the Pacific ocean that is now pulsing with radiation. I wanted to know what you knew about it."

The Russian spoke his agreement before hanging up and gesturing the Navy men closer,"What is it, gentlemen?"

"We have lost radio signals with one of our Typhoon class submarines and fourteen cargo ships. We have dispached a Kiev class to investigate."

"These ships," Mikhal asked, already knowing the answer, "Are they in the Pacific?"

"Yes. How did you know?"

"Mr. Regan just informed me that there was a massive surge of radiation in that area. We might want to be careful."

The first officer spoke, "Yes, I will inform the Captains."

The two men walked out of the room, closing the door as they left.

Gorbochev took his glasses off and rested his hand on his forehead, leaning back in exasperation.


4:30 PM September 7th, 1002

Royal Guard Central Command,

Canterlot,

Capital Province, Equestria

Several Royal Guard commanders and officers trotted around quickly, knowing that the humans would react quickly to their arrival, and that they would have to prove they didn't want war. They would need to meet with some universal leader, even though the reason they are on this ill planet is because of a long division between two groups, both based on different perception's of the humans' greed.

They decided the best place would be from what the best they could tell was a neutral country. It was also the headquarters of the United Nations, the humans' main diplomatic summit. A commander stepped over to a table with a chart on it in the middle of the room. He pointed his hoof at one of the solutions. It would be to take a chariot to Geneva with the Princesses and show that they only wanted the best for the humans.

They would leave at dawn. The next day, Captain Shining Armor decided. But will that be soon enough?


1608 UTC, September 7th, 1986,
USS Enterprise,
The Pacific Ocean,
Two Hundred Miles From The Barrier

The Captain stood in the bridge waiting to here for any new updates from his eyes in the sky, planes that were currently searching for the source of the radiation. Little did he know, Russian YAK-38's and SU-24s were also doing the same job, on the opposite side of the barrier, his own government also had a couple classified tricks up their sleeve as well. An SR-71 Blackbird was already surveying the area, but he didn't need to know that.

"Sir," Said one of the pilots, "It looks like- like a landmass."

Normally, he would have called him crazy, but the other planes were all reporting the same thing. He grabbed his forehead and sat down. He could feel a migraine coming on. He picked up his full coffee mug and downed it in a single gulp. This was going to be one a hell of a day.