• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 703 Views, 1 Comments

Good Day for Derpy! - wayward_pony



Short Derpy Hooves story about friendship, infatuation, and caring

  • ...
6
 1
 703

Chapter 4

4

Derpy ordered a couple of brown sugar topped sweet muffins for her meal, along with a salad.

“They're really expensive!” she explained.”Brown sugar sweetened, with brown sugar topping! They're sooo good.”

Cloudfire nodded, ordering one for himself and a chocolate muffin for variety.

They continued to chat. Cloudfire told a few jokes, one in particular that made Derpy laugh about a duck and a lemonade stand. Derpy shared a few stories of her employment... when she got to the one about the time she spent sprucing up townhall with Rainbow Dash, Cloudfire grimmaced at the idea of a Pegasus being zapped by her own cloud's lightening. Derpy told him she hardly felt a thing until the last zap. This continued for about an hour until they eventually became quiet, just enjoying their food and smiling contentedly at each other. They didn't feel any great need to fill the air with chatter... this was a new feeling for both of them.

“I'm enjoying myself, Derpy,” said Cloudfire.

Derpy just giggled and nodded.

When the meal was all gone, Mrs. Cake gave Pinkie the cue to go out with a modest two-pony sized desert tray they'd threw together and say:

“Hope you guys saved room for desert, as this one's on the house!”

She set an over sized cupcake down before them. Half of it was made of extremely rich chocolate, the other half Derpy's favorite muffin. Derpy's mouth watered the moment she saw it, and even Cloudfire was taken aback.

He looked up at Pinkie Pie and didn't know what to say.

“We think you two make a cute couple!” She said, bouncing away to the kitchen.

“You've got some nice friends, Derpy!” Cloudfire said, picking up his fork and knife. “Got any room in that tummy of yours?”

“Yeah!” Derpy said, picking up her own silverware.

They went to town on that desert. 5 minutes later, it was gone and both ponies clutched their guts, groaning in both contentment and fullness. Neither could eat another bite and fortunately there was nothing left to eat.

Pinkie brought them the check.

Derpy was getting out her money when Cloudfire stopped her:

“How 'bout I handle this one, Derpy?” He asked.

“I dunno...”

“It's the thing a Gentlepony would do... if I may. Just think of it as my way of thanking you for all those tips you gave me earlier.”

“Okee!”

Cloudfire paid for the meal. It was only a couple of bits and he left a good tip.

Mrs. Cake came out and asked them if their meal was good before they left. They both said it was awesome. She then asked... other questions:

“How did you meet?”

“How long have you known each other?”

“Are you from Ponyville?”

“What do you think of it here?”

The list went on... they were all questions anypony who knew Derpy would probably ask. Pinkie was upstairs in her room, listening through her cup on a string suspended from the ceiling. Once the questions were exhausted, Cloudfire nodded, wished the Cakes well and together they left.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

It was getting dark. The two ponies walked side-by-side, near the fountain. The gray Pegasus was on her way home.

“I really like you, Cloudfire,” said Derpy.

“I like you, too.” Replied Cloudfire. “Quite a bit.”

“When will I see you again?”

“When do you want to?”

“I dunno... well, definitely at work. I'll give you more pointers tomorrow if you'd like!”

“Yeah, that'd be nice. Derpy, I was thinking we could do this again sometime, maybe tomorrow... if you want to.”

“Okee!”

“It's a date, then.”

They walked to Derpy's house, enjoying the evening air. As Celestia receded with the Sun, Luna came out and presented the Moon. Tonight it was full and a pretty shade of blue. The still night air, the coolness, and the full bellies relaxed both ponies.

They finally got to Derpy's house. They both stopped in front of her door. Derpy looked at Cloudfire, then at the ground.

“What's on your mind?” He asked the gray Pegasus pony.

“Am I supposed to kiss you?”

“You don't have to...”

“I don't know what to say!”

“Just say good night... I'll see you tomorrow, right?”

Derpy's frown was turned upside down:

“G'night Cloudfire! I had lotsa fun!”

He smiled, turned away, looking back at his date one final time before heading home.

“Good night Derpy. It was a blast.”

As Cloudfire took the brisk walk to his house, he heard Derpy open her door and clomp into her house:

“Hi Dinky!” She said, quickly, clomping excitedly through her house. “Hey mom, you're not gunna believe what happened today!”

Author's Note:

1/9/13

This is my first story for FIMfiction.net. It's gone over some minor edits since I first posted it. While I enjoyed writing it, as a challenge to myself I tried to write it all (and edit it all, then publish it all) in one late evening... and wasn't 100% happy with the end results, ergo the tweaks.

"Good day for Derpy!" was written to flesh out ideas, and was written from a pre-existing manuscript in which Derpy unexpectedly visits my character Wayward Pony after having serious troubles with her special somepony Cloudfire (she actually more or less crashes in on him, frantically flying away from Cloudfire). I've decided to omit my OC for this particular story, but elements of the early version will carry over into the sequel. I wanted to make this a feel-good story, as opposed to the darker version I was planning... that's for the sequel.

Speaking of sequels, I'm planning a sequel which will be more intense than this one. It'll be a two-parter and reading this one won't be entirely necessary to enjoy the next. This will finish the story, however. The reason I've chosen not to consolidate everything into one is because I decided to have this one work as a stand alone, since it has no qualities which would make it inaccessible to a general audience and it works just fine on its own.

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it :)

Comments ( 1 )

was good.... you have potential so i will stalk you O.o

Login or register to comment