• Published 7th Jan 2013
  • 4,710 Views, 82 Comments

Rain - Commando-Scarecrow



One evening, While driving home from dinner, Miles Wilhelm drives by to see a mystery woman on the side of the road. He doesn't know where she's from or how she got there. But one thing is sure: he has to help her

  • ...
10
 82
 4,710

Day 2: Pain-balling

I honestly couldn't believe it. As I creeped passed the trees in the paintball field, I remembered well what she said in the Wal-Mart parking lot. "You're looking at the Cloudsdale junior paintball league champion!" I was incredibly surprised at that but, weirdly enough; I was less astounded by the fact that Rain was the junior league champion of Cloudsdale. "Four years in a row!"

Quickly moving past the strangeness of Equestria having a junior paintball league, I was abso-freaking-lutely elated at her answer. "Re-he-he-heally?!" I could barely contain my excitement on the matter, obviously. "Well then, Rain, things just got a whole lot more interesting, didn't they?"

It wasn't until we actually got out to the paintball field when I realized the hell I was in for. The game was a custom match. It was torso elimination, meaning that if you got hit within a specific target on your chest or back, you were out of the game. Camera's, speakers and referees made sure that no one played when they should have been taken out. Then a weird thought popped into my head. "I wonder if spending my money on stuff like this is the reason why I still live in a room at the Motel 6..."

As I mused that thought, I heard what WAS my team. They were covered in blue paintballs all over their upper body. "Dude," Tony called out as he walked me by. We started with 15 people on each team. I took five squad, and Tony took the other six for his own. I was the last guy on my sqaud, and, from the looks of it, the last one on my team.

"What happened to you?" I already knew full well what happened. Someone just got rained on.

"Your girlfriend happened," his visor was riddled with sky-blue paint, so he had to lift it up in order to see. I remember telling her that a colour like that would just make her an easier target. Her response? 'It's one thing to see me coming. It's another to do something about'. Turns out she was absolutely right.

"She's not really my girlfriend." Although it did make me think.

"Whatever man," I honestly wasn't sure whether or not he was more pissed off at how he just lost seven to one, or impressed at how badly he lost. "She came out of nowhere and ambushed us. We couldn't even touch her." He chuckled. "Dude, if you don't claim her, then I will."

Over my dead bo... wait a second. I didn't have time to respond to that comment before he left, though. My own squad was taken out bringing down the other fourteen of the Rain's team earlier. I guessed it was just me and her. "Great..." I muttered to myself as I continued to creep past the now techno-colored battlefield. The farther I walked, the more evidence I saw of Rainbow Dash's prowess in paintball. I think I passed by where Tony and the others got ambushed, because there was a lot, and I mean A LOT, of misplaced orange shots on the rocks and dirt and trees, with only a few traces of sky blue. She had to be nearby, I thought to myself. I checked my ammo count. I had one more paintball cartridge and one more paint-grenade. "Close enough."

As I investigated the area for Rain, I couldn't help but feel like I was being set up for a magnificent trap on my part. Not that bringing a champion paintballer wasn't a trap all in itself, but still. I darted between the bushes and trailers until, finally, I thought of a my own magnificent trap. I slowly laid my paintball gun on the cool tin floor of a trailer, and found a particularly thick stick, one that would make a noticeable sound when broke. I only sighed as I went through with it. "SNAP." Then I heard some rustling from a nearby tree. Bingo.

I quickly grabbed my paintball gun and searched for her, but she must have caught on, because, I didn't see her again. That wasn't, until, I saw her hanging off a tree branch upside down wearing sky-blue armour and brandishing double paintball pistols... to my left… where I wasn’t facing. Again... great. "You should NOT have brought me here, Miles." Swear to god, I could freaking HEAR her smile. "I've never been more in my element."

I moved first and opened fire at her. Each of the shots would have hit their mark, right in the center of her armour, if she hadn’t fallen from the tree and landed on her feet with almost cat-like grace and agility. She was fast, I thought. Too fast for me beat in a straight up match. "Is that right?" I called out to her, trying to buy time to come up with a plan. I started to try to think of something, anything that could get me out of here without losing. Then another idea came to mind. "Well, maybe it's time this old dog..." I readied myself for what might take some split second reflexes against the former fastest flyer in all of Equestria. "Showed you some tricks!" I ducked and, as I did, she unleashed a barrage of double paintball pistols at me. I quickly fell to the earth, rolling and shooting wildly, hoping not to hit her, but to distract her so I could find some better cover. She was way better than I thought a person with a new body would be able to be. But, then, she IS one of Equestria's greatest athletes. Maybe hand-eye-coordination was just a natural gift for her.

"You are good, Miles!" she called out from the trees, jumping from canopy to canopy. The girl was a freaking paintball ninja. I couldn't tell if she was about to start bragging or give me a compliment, so I decided to wait and find out. "Too bad we're on different teams!"

I shook my head. "You sound almost disappointed, Rain!" I got her to start talking, which was good. It meant I could have more time to figure out the specifics of my plan. "You sad that I wasn't one of the ones watching your flank in this?!" And yes, I know full well about the double meaning of flank here.

Then I heard a voice coming from my immediate right. "Nothing totally whooping you right here couldn't fix." I looked to the direction that my paintball gun WASN'T in the direction of to find her. "Story of your life, Miles. Good, but not good enough."

Then I smiled at her. All according to plan. "See, you would think that wouldn't you, Rain?" She took the bait. Now it was time to show her that I was better than SHE thought. “Look at your paintball guns, now back to me. Back to your paintball guns, now back to ME!” I lifted up and primed an orange paintball grenade. “I’m holding onto a paintball grenage that’ll blow in six seconds.” Proud of myself, I gave her the cockiest smile that I could.

"You planned that, didn't you?" She was either annoyed about getting outsmarted, or impressed that I ended this paintball match with a ninja in a draw.

"Yeah, huh."

Then she was the one that smiled. "Not bad, Miles." And then we were both coated in an orange paint by a detonating colour bomb. She wiped the paint off of her goggles, as did I. "Not bad at all."

After that happened, we both hit the showers of the paintball field. Apparently, the concept of a shower came easy to her. Not surprising, seeing as how that was how she usually bathed in the show. Heading home, I could see her falling asleep to AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell”. I laughed a little on the inside. It was almost like rock’n roll was a lullaby to her. Though not quite asleep, she was hardly in any shape to pick herself up from the passenger seat of my car. I gave an amused smile and, as I made my to her side of the car in the parking lot, she started to finally talk. “What are you doing?” she asked drearily.

With expert skill and luck, I was able to place her on back, piggy-back style, and made our way to my room. “Rain, you’re exhausted.”

“I can still walk…” she mumbled, apparently in denial.

“Then why aren’t you?” I heard her mumble something but, for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out what it was. “I just assumed that she was either arguing with me or saying that she didn’t need my help. “Well, you should have thought about that before you started doing back flips in a paintball match.” I heard her growl, but I ignored it. It was nothing the infamous Rainbow Dash of Equestria couldn't deny. She absolutely LOVED showing everyone how awesome she was.

I opened the door to my room and laid her on my bed. Well, more like I dropped her, but tomato/tomahto, right? She fell asleep almost immediately after hitting the mattress. I took a look at the clock and saw it was only 7:00, so I stayed up for a couple more hours. All things considered, I thought to myself gleefully, today had been a great day.