• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 7,327 Views, 66 Comments

A New Start. - Digitalis



Back to Ponyville after being in the Dragon Kingdom for a month, Spike has to get used to live among ponies again. A sequel of my other story 'True Origins'

  • ...
0
 66
 7,327

Chapter 3

For a split second, Celestia’s mask of royal stoicism broke, but she recomposed herself quickly. Instead, she reached down and nuzzled Spike.

“Spike, I-I’m so happy to see you again. I missed you so much.” She said, her voice trembling a bit.
He hugged her back. “I missed you too.”

Both of them entered the castle. Spike explained the princess about his new situation as ambassador, and the new diplomatic relations between Equestria and Draconia thanks to this. Celestia just nodded and smiled all the time. Finally, they arrived at her personal bedroom. Once the door was closed and they were alone she finally dropped the façade. She hugged the dragon tightly, burying her face in his shoulder.

“I missed you so much. I thought I would never see you again.” She said, sobbing. Tears were streaming down her face, and Spike quickly understood that despite her appearance, she had been as hurt about his departure as the rest of his friends.

He returned the embrace. “It’s okay. I won’t go anywhere for now.” They just stood there for some more time, before Celestia recomposed herself and let him go. They agreed to meet once a month or more should the situation require it, but otherwise Spike would stay in Ponyville with Twilight.

Some hours later and Spike was back in Ponyville. He entered the library and immediately he felt something was wrong. For once, all the windows were covered, and he couldn’t see anything. Suddenly, the light was turned on, and Spike saw why. As she had promised, Pinkie had set up a ‘Welcome Back’ party, with everyone in Ponyvile invited. Streamers were hung from the walls and ceilings, balloons were everywhere, and there was a big banner in the wall, which said ‘Welcome back, Spike! We missed you!’

“Surprise!” Pinkie leapt out of nowhere, startling Spike. “See? I told you I would make you a party. Come on, enjoy the party!”

Spike shook his head. Of course she could do it. She was Pinkie Pie after all. He joined his friends and enjoyed the rest of the party. It was a nice time, and Spike was happy for it. Some hours later and almost everyone had left, leaving just him and the girls to clean the library and tidy up once it was over.

While he had enjoyed life as royalty, what Spike wanted most was to live his old life as Twilight’s assistant once more. He had no problem grabbing the broom and sweeping the floor. The others were cleaning the tables, getting rid of the trimmings and putting everything back in order.

“Hey, Spike.” Rainbow Dash approached him after pulling down the banner from the wall. “You think you’ll be free tomorrow afternoon?”

“Yeah, why for?”

“Well, I thought we could go flying after I finish working at the weather team. Come on, I want to test those wings of yours.” She pointed Spike’s wings for emphasis.

Spike shrugged. “Why not? I’d like to see if I can beat you.”

“Right, of course.” Rainbow snorted. “Keep dreaming about it. So, tomorrow after lunch?”

“It’s a deal.” Pony and dragon shook hoof and claw in agreement.

Nearby, Twilight and Rarity were looking at the two while they were putting some books back to place.

“It seems everything is back to the same.” Twilight commented.

“Yes.” Rarity assured. “Although not everything, you have to admit he has changed. He’s more mature now…”

“Yes, I know that.”

“And much more handsome.”

“Yeah… wait what?”

“Oh, please.” Rarity looked at Twilight. “Look at him darling. Right now you two would make a nice couple. Don’t you think?”

“W-What? You can’t be serious!” Twilight was flustered now. She shook her head, blushing. “I mean, yes, he is, but for me is like a little brother for me. I would never think about him like that.” Seeing her friend snorting at what she had said, she narrowed her eyes. “Besides, if I remember correctly Spike was head over heels for YOU. And YOU were the one talking about marrying a handsome prince, so are you going to do your move now or you are waiting for him?” She finished her sentence with a smug smile.

It was Rarity’s turn to blush now. “I… well… uhm. Look at the time! I would love to stay and chat, darling, but I have to go home and finish an order. Bye!” She giggled and left in a hurry, which left Twilight staring at the door with her mouth open.

The purple unicorn blinked. “It was just a joke!” She yelled, hoping her friend would listen. “Well, that was unexpected.”


The next day, Rainbow had just finished her shift and flew to Ponyville’s outskirts, where she would meet Spike. She was eager to know how fast Spike was. She saw him waiting under a tree.

“Hey, Spike!” She called and landed. “Ready for a race?”

“Of course!” He stood up and walked at her. Both stood in position, ready to take off at Rainbow’s command.

“Alright: ready… set… go!”

Both took off and flew towards Sweet Apple Acres. They were nose to nose, which impressed Rainbow. “Wow, you’re faster than I thought!” She claimed. “But not fast enough!” And quickly and easily got ahead of him.

“Let’s see that!” Spike yelled back and caught up with her.

They passed through the orchards near to the ground, avoiding the apple trees as if they were obstacles. The two passed Applejack and the momentum made her spin in the place, leaving her dizzy afterwards.

“Hey! Watch it you two! I’m still working here!” She yelled angrily at the pair that was already flying off the farm.

Of course, Rainbow Dash was faster than Spike, and she got to the tree where they had started from faster. She pulled up and landed next to the tree smoothly. Spike wasn’t so lucky, as fast as he was he couldn’t stop at time.

“Watch out!”

He crashed against Rainbow Dash, and both stumbled to the tree. Spike recovered quickly and shook his head. “Ugh, my head! Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine…” She trailed off when she noticed that Spike was on top of her… their faces were really close to each other. They stood like that for a moment, both of them staring at each other’s eyes, before Spike shook his head and got off her.

“Rainbow! I’m so sorry. Here, let me help you.”

She grabbed Spike’s hand with both fore hooves and he pulled her up. As soon as she was on her four hooves she turned around, trying to hide the slight blush in her face. Spike did the same, blushing as well.

“Well…” She rubbed a hoof against the back of her head. “That was cool. You are really fast.”

“Thank you. So… want to keep flying around?”

“I’d love to, but I think I have to go home for now.”

“Oh, okay. Bye.”

Both parted ways, the memory still printed in their minds.

‘My, he’s really good looking. I never realized that.’ Rainbow thought while she was heading home.