• Published 19th Jan 2012
  • 17,201 Views, 1,497 Comments

Sweetie's Mansion - Moon Shooter



A My Little Pony/Luigi's Mansion Crossover

  • ...
30
 1,497
 17,201

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22: Party Crasher (Segment 2/2: Entering the Mansion)

The sun was orange now, as it peeked over the horizon of Stabletown. The evening was approaching, as was the party that Sweetie had been told about repeatedly that evening, constantly being reminded that a "date" was to come as well. She did have someone in mind if she could go... but without an invite, she knew it would be impossible for her to even think about going. The filly almost felt as though the town was trying to tease her at how the absence of a single piece of paper was keeping her from attending such a festivity... then again as the evening was progressing, she was starting to lose all of her desire to attend the party at all. Sure, it sounded interesting enough, but she was beginning to question whether or not it was as important as she'd thought. It was as though since the voice stopped, when or where it stopped, the filly was unsure of, any interests associated with the mansion were almost non-existent aside from ones stemming to Squee.

At this point, Sweetie was way out of the square by now, and taking the same route of the streets she remembered Squee guiding her through earlier that morning... she was at least happy she could remember that. The filly noticed how the roads she went down had ponies left and right, going about their everyday business. Sweetie didn't think that there would be that many ponies out at that hour... but she at least thought somepony would be outside. After leaving the square, Sweetie had yet to see another pony, griffon, buffalo, zebra... or any other creature besides a pidgin that might have flown over the town. There were plenty of houses and cabins however... some of which, Sweetie could make out the silhouettes of ponies inside. The filly knew where they were... but why were they all inside now? Was she even supposed to be outside now?

Better get back to Covri soon... Sweetie thought. I doubt I'm supposed to be out now... maybe she'll let me stay the night? Yeah. A nice good rest would be perfect after all of this walking. Maybe I can ask her about the party in th- Sweetie stopped in her tracks. Her ears perked at a new sound that filled the otherwise silent area. What... what is that?

Sweetie wasn't sure why, but the sounds made her smile. For some reason, she couldn't seem to name what she was hearing. Maybe that it was some type of instrument, but nothing beyond that... though one thing was for sure, she certainly liked it.

"Dum... dum dum dum dum...dum dum..." She sang quietly along with it. The filly began walking again. Rather than following the route to the library, she began making her way along a new road in the direction of the sound, humming along the way.

She continued along her way, until she came to something. It was another line of the wooden cabins she'd seen all throughout Stabletown... but there was one house in particular that caught her eye. A house that stood out among the others...

There wasn't anything completely abnormal about it, but breaking the monotonous trend, this house not only had a white wooden sign sticking out of the ground in front of it, but there was also two ponies sitting there... it was odd though. The filly figured she should have been able to see them clearly... but they were extremely blurry. So was the house itself... almost to the point that she couldn't even tell there were any ponies or homes there to begin with... Sweetie wondered if it had something to do with her head injuries, or perhaps she wore some special kind of glasses prior to her amnesia. Seeing no reason not to, the filly continued for the house to investigate. As she did, the house seemed to clear up, as well as the ponies in front of it.

There were two of them. One was an earth pony with a cream coat and dark blue and pink mane. She seemed to be talking to the other pony that accompanied her. It was an aquamarine unicorn mare with light cyan and white mane. She had some kind of long device around her neck she seemed to flow magic into. It was rounded at the end and there were strings attached to it... It took a bit of thinking, but Sweetie eventually determined the instrument to be some kind of guitar. Both of the mares were facing the opposite direction, as they didn't notice the filly was approaching as they continued their conversation as their voices entered Sweetie's range of hearing.

"...last time. Just five more minutes. That's it." said the aquamarine pony. Sweetie noted that much like the orange mare that had yelled at her earlier, she had a gruffness to her voice. It sounded like she was trying to pretend to be a stallion or something.

I wonder what's with the mares around here... Sweetie thought. Must be some kind of Stabletown thing I haven't learned about yet... maybe I'm supposed to talk like that?

"Honey, no one's coming. Everypony, griffon, buffalo, zebra... everyone's inside for Mr. Yield’s curfew. Remember? We could get arrested if we stay out here much longer."

A-arrested? That doesn't sound too fun... Sweetie thought. M-maybe I should head back?

Sweetie shook her head, her curiosity getting the better of her. She figured she would just figure out what was going on with these ponies, and head back to the library before anyone else could even notice that she was out. She couldn't stay too long though...

"...either that, or actually preparing for tonight's festivities. Exactly what we should be doing now." the wobbly mare continued. "We can't afford to be late, or look as poor as where we live. You should know that better than I should."

The masculine mare ignored the mare, as she continued to stare down the street, and flow magic into her instrument.

"Honey, quit pretending that the pony you're looking for is just gonna walk up the road. Especially now, when nopony's even supposed to be out. The least likely time anyone'll show up."

The masculine mare stopped flowing magic into her instrument, and the music stopped. She turned to look at the wobbly mare. "That's exactly when talent shows up. It's always where it shows up. In the least likely place, in the least likely pony, at the least likely time. How do you think so much of it is missed all the time? You just-" the mare stopped short as she looked past the wobbly mare, directly at Sweetie. "Hey... Hey! Hey kid!"

"H-huh?" Sweetie said, looking behind her, momentarily forgetting she was the only possible pony the mare could be calling for. "M-me?"

"Who else?! C'mere a sec, would ya?!"

The filly nodded and ran the rest of the way to the house and stood in front of the sign. The masculine mare and the wobbly mare examined the little filly for a couple moments, managing to create a bit of unease within Sweetie. After a couple moments, the aquamarine masculine mare smiled.

"Um..." Sweetie said. She looked at the sign that was posted in front of the house. It was still pretty blurry and incomprehensible. "...what's this?"

"What is this, little filly?" the masculine mare asked, with a new grandness in her voice. "Why... it's the chance of a lifetime."

"Of the chance for this year." the wobbly mare commented, rolling her eyes at the other's exaggeration. The aquamarine ignored her.

"Tell me filly. What's the most luxurious thing you've ever wanted to see? The most fantastic thing that you've ever thought about seeing?"

Sweetie shrugged. She hadn't been awake long enough to hear of such a luxury, nor could she remember past her awakening should such a luxury exist. "I dunno."

"Hm... well then, little filly. What if I were to tell you that I could take you to a place so lavish that it just might blow your mind?"

Sweetie flinched at the prospect of her head blowing into a million pieces. "uh..."

"It's a figure of speech Ms..." The cream wobbly mare stared at the filly for a few moments. "...I'm sorry. We didn't ask you your name, now did we?"

"S-Sweetie..." Sweetie said. She noticed how the mares stared at her before she realized that she'd yet to give them her last name. "...Belle. Sweetie Belle."

"Sweetie Belle... what a sweet name."

Sweetie shuddered inside at the pun.

"My name is Harmonica Clef. Ms. Clef to you, young lady." the cream wobbly mare said.

"A-and you?" Sweetie asked, turning to the aquamarine mare.

The aquamarine mare put her hoof to her chest, pumping it out proudly. "I am Treble Clef. A musician of high standards, and your ticket and opportunity to fame, fortune, and luxuries beyond your-"

"Treble!" Harmonica snapped. "I think the filly gets it. Just cut to the chase already! We're losing more and more sunlight!"

Treble shook her head. "You have no value for presentation..." She turned her head away from her wife. "Times like this I wish I married that Romina chick." she mumbled under her breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing my little sugarnote."

You talk about another mare out loud... and your best response is 'sugarnote'? Sweetie thought.

"Look little filly, because I want to get this done quick and get it out of the way so me and my husband here can actually get something done."

"E-r... get what done?"

The mare sighed. "Take a look at the sign."

Sweetie did as the mare said and looked at the sign. The text was still blurry, but with a little extra effort, and some squinting, she managed to make out the words "Vocalist Wanted; Invitation Up For Grabs; One Time Opportunity"

"...Vocalist?" Sweetie read over.

"A singer, little filly." Harmonica said flatly.

"I-I knew that." Sweetie lied, unsure whether or not she really knew... she was just tired of not knowing. "But for what?"

"A first time, first serve opportunity little filly. One you won't come across very often, I promise you." Treble smiled. "The chance to obtain a ticket to Mr. Yield's exclusive party this evening."

Sweetie's ears perked in excitement at the sound of getting one of the invitations she'd heard so much about. Treble chuckled. "Seems as though I've caught your attention."

"Y-you have an extra? But how?" Sweetie asked. "You'd think somepony would have jumped on getting one of those!"

"And you'd be right little filly. Think. A lowerclass pony going to such an event you'd only hear of Uppertownsponies, and ones affiliated with our Stabletown government, hm? Ones you'd never imagine yourself being able to go with..."

Odd... I could have sworn that pearbucker was going... I wonder what's she got to do with the government. Better yet, I wonder who else I've met is going...?

"Yeah... it's really weird. Why hasn't anyone else tried for it?"

"... are you even from around here, Ms. Belle?" Harmonica said.

"Huh?" Sweetie asked. "Um... I dunno. Maybe? Maybe not...?"

"Well, whatever the case," Treble said. "You should probably know that Stabletown isn't the most... musical of towns."

"What do you mean?"

"Well... I'm not sure where you come from, but towns with a dominant population of ponies have something within their souls. Something that may cause them, or even entire groups of ponies around them to occasionally break out into song. Instruments and vocalists together."

"Woah, really?" Sweetie asked. I wish I lived in a town like that... "And... Stabletown?"

"Well, a while back, a few laws were passed over the town. We're talking years, possibly decades ago. Among those laws were ones that... well, restricted our allowance to sing or play music on such levels."

"Y-you mean you're not allowed to sing? It's illegal?"

Treble shook her head. "Not exactly. I moved here after that law was placed but... from what I understand, years back there was some kind of uprising, or riot caused by some pony's singing... and because of it, Mr. Yield, the Stabletown Church and The Mayor got together to create restrictions on singing. No pony's allowed to sing. I don't mean 'not at all', but rather, not enough to disturb the peace... or as some ponies put it, 'enough to wake the dead'." Treble said. "In turn, over the years and generations that followed, music's kind of died here."

"So... no one can sing or play music anymore?"

"Well... no, not really."

"What about that one in Upper Stabletown, honey?" Mrs. Clef reminded.

"Hm? Oh right, I can't believe I nearly forgot about Bassa and her little quartet..." Clef said. "Smalltownspony like me probably wouldn't have even gotten such an opportunity if I didn't meet her... Mr. Yield may have never found out that I played, or you sung."

She sings? Sweetie thought. Guess I'll only believe it when I hear it...

"The point is that not many ponies really dabble in the musical arts. Either too busy or too lazy look for the ways around that law." Treble finished.

Mrs. Clef shook her head. "And still, my stone-headed husband still insists that a born talented singing pony will just strut down the road right now, just as though Celestia sent them out of the sky."

"Well... I don't know about Celestia-sent... but I'd like a chance to try." Sweetie said. "You said I could right?"

"Of course-"

Mrs. Clef chuckled.

"Huh?" Sweetie asked.

"You're both wasting your time."

"What? Why?" Sweetie asked.

"Yeah, I don't see-"

"Treble. Look at her. She's a ranch pony." Harmonica explained. "When's the last time you've seen one of them singing and dancing."

"Ranch pony..." Sweetie asked.

"The hat? Only fruitbuckers wear those. Let me guess... you work at Cal's farm?"

"Huh? N-no, I was only helping there to get a cat out of a tree... only bucked some pears out while I was doing that..."

Harmonica shook her head, dissatisfied. "Bucking isn't an easy task. Something that takes years to master... even with an even if that is a real cutiemark. I don't want to waste my time with one of those southern chants you buckers call 'singing'."

Your voice doesn't exactly sound like an angel either, Ms. Clef.

"Honey... I think those are real cutie marks."

"Couldn't be... could they?" Harmonica asked. She walked up to Sweetie and examined her closely, moving the saddlebags to the side to scan every inch of her body. She then licked her hoof and rubbed the cutiemark around Sweetie's horn.

"H-hey!" Sweetie said, jumping back at the sensation.

"My... they are real!" Clef said in awe. "I didn't know ponies with the Cutie Pox could even function properly... how long have you had it?"

Sweetie shrugged, unsure of how long she'd had the marks attached to her body. "Dunno... but I can use them like anypony else I think..."

"Hm... so those aren't your real Cutie Marks then... I suppose it was a bit foolish of me to expect such a small, frail looking filly to be able to buck apples for a living."

Frail? Sweetie thought, mildly offended.

"Nonetheless. I don't see one music Cutie Mark on that body."

"Just give her a chance Harmonica."

"Y-yeah! I can do it..." Sweetie thought. ...I think...

Harmonica looked up at the sinking sun, her patience visually wearing thin. "Very well, but I'm not tolerating any mistakes. We've wasted enough time as it is."

"Fine. Once is all we'll need to see if Ms. Belle can truly live up to my expectations..." Treble said. "If not, I suppose you'll have to sing it on your own..."

Oh boy... Sweetie thought, somewhat intimidated. It was then she began questioning whether or not she could really sing. Did she really, or ever know the first thing about music? Could she do this... or would she just end up embarrassing herself and disappointing these ponies... wasting their time, as Harmonica put it. Sweetie almost felt like turning around and just giving up, but something in her decided against that. She might have been wasting another pony’s time... but she didn’t want to give up so easily. She had to give it a go...

Sweetie nodded. Treble smiled. “I like that. Still gonna shoot for the moon, even in the face of intimidating odds.”

Treble picked a piece of paper from behind the sign and handed it to Sweetie.

“What’s this?” the filly asked.

“The lyrics to one of the songs I was planning on performing tonight.”

Sweetie looked over the sheet. To the right, were different stanzas of words, with names written next to them. Next to some of the stanzas, Harmonica Clef was written... and next to others were written “Vocalist 2”. I guess I’m supposed to be “Vocalist Two”. To the right of the verses of the song were dots, lines, and words such as “piano”, “diminuendo”, “fortissimo”, “crescendo”... among a bunch of other letters Sweetie didn’t completely comprehend. She opened her mouth to ask what in the hay the symbols meant, but considering how little faith they held, or at least how little faith Harmonica held, in the filly, she decided against it. She didn’t need anything else to make her look bad.

“Alright Ms. Belle. Let’s get this over with.” Harmonica said, holding out the lyrics in front of her.

“This song should really work any range you have. If you can sing this with little to no mistakes, you can sing anything I come up with for you.”

Sweetie nodded in comprehension.

“Ready?” Treble asked.

“Get on with it.” Harmonica said, clearing her throat.

This should be interesting... Sweetie thought, as she followed Harmonica’s example.

Treble closed her eyes and began flowing magic into her guitar. The strings moved as she used some type of kinetic spell to strum the strings. There was a light, yet solemn guitar fill as the tune began. Harmonica was first to sing.

“As the sun... sets on... the lush and green plane,
She gazes over it with feelings disdain,
She thinks about you, wondering if she should,
Feel sadness, sorrow and shame....” Harmonica sang.

Sweetie was frankly awestruck at how much control Harmonica held over her voice as she sung. It was as though she’d just dropped her old voice and traded it for a new one... According to the sheet, Sweetie was next to sing. She noted the changes of tone in her voice and compared them to the notes of the song... since she couldn’t read the notes, the best she could do was sing along with the guitar and hope for the best...

“I... don’t know... if I can soar and fly,
My soul can not knowing my ending is nigh,
Would you care, if my time should come now this day,
Would you truly care if I die...?” Sweetie sang.

Sweetie felt odd as she sung the song. Disoriented in a sense... almost to the point that she wanted to fall over and faint. She shook her head and kept going, reading the next stanza of the song. She was doing perfectly... and she wasn’t going to fail now. The next part was for both of them to sing together.

“Sister to sister, you must understand,
Intentions of mine to repair love to sand,
To never have hate between souls, bodies, eyes,
When love’s the one offer I can...” they both sang.

Both Sweetie’s and Harmonica’s pitches perfectly contrasted each other. Sweetie was getting the hang of singing in duet with Harmonica. Maybe she could do this... provided she could stay awake long enough to finish the tune. There was a small guitar fill that followed the stanza, but it wasn’t long before it was once again Sweetie’s turn to sing.

“Blackness and darkness is now my new way,
Your comfort is worth every gasp scream of pain,
For you I would give up my soul if I must,
I’ll find you and save thou I say...” Sweetie sung.

She shook her head, reorienting herself. What the hay was happening to her? Why was she feeling so sick... and strangely sad, all of a sudden. Still, she was glad to at least have a break for a stanza to get herself together. Harmonica was up to sing.

“She’ll travel all through these dark halls of dark ink,
Hearing the laughter as her sane mind sinks,
She will not however stop listening for you,
Her pain that somehow make you too laugh to pink...” Harmonica sung.

As Harmonica ended her verse, Sweetie took a deep breath, knowing that for some reason, this song was going to make her sicker and feel even worse the more she sung it. Regardless, the little white pony was determined to endure it to the end.

“Sister, my sister, I fear for my life,
Despite this I won’t stop because of such trife,
I do not know if I still see the dawn light,
Though you will, I swear this, on my knife...” Sweetie sang.

There was a pause for a moment... there was silence... before finally, it was both of their turns to sing.

“Sister, dear sister, oh hear my last plea,
A song from my heart, just myself unto thee,
If you would just listen to my sole one poem,
You’ll find that I want to be free...” they both sang.

As a long guitar fill followed, Sweetie looked ahead at the next couple stanzas... they were all for her. Was this some kind of typo? Was she really supposed to sing all of that...? She was unsure if she could actually do it this time. She was already getting weaker and weaker. Somehow, she knew it would only worsen if she continued to sing this song. Still, she decided against dropping out. She was almost done. Just a little longer... Sweetie knew it was her time once again, as she heard the guitar slow down. Here we go...

“Sister you may not hear my last few words,
As much as I wish it is you who had heard,
My song that I wish you could hear...” Sweetie sang. Her legs felt a bit wobbly as she was going through the last verse. Everything was seeming to mesh around her unnaturally, her vision distorting. Her head was hurting again, and increasing times 10 every word she sang... She had to stop... she had to stop... She swallowed and resisted the urge. She took another breath and continued further on as the guitar progressed to grow more and more retarded.

“My dearest sister... my prettiest sister...
My first and most loyal of friends...
I’m sorry for all of the sorrow I caused...
And I hope you’ll forgive in the end...” Sweetie sang. There was a pause before there was a final long guitar fill.

Sweetie wasn’t sure if she was even standing anymore. Her legs and body were beginning to feel cold and numb... as though some kind of external force was trying to keep her from finishing the song she’d up to this point, sang perfectly... at least she thought she and hoped she did. Her vocal chords seemed to ache and sting to the point that simply breathing became a chore to her. She was afraid to utter any more words, not only out of fear of what she’d sound like, but how much it would hurt. The final duet was almost up. She would have to make a choice...

“...Sister to sister, I’ll fight to the end,
Forever for you I shall fend....
Forever for all I shall fend...
But for you I will fend... to the end...” Sweetie heard Harmonica, but she didn’t hear herself. All she knew was that her lips were moving, but she wasn’t completely sure if any sound was coming from. All of her senses were blurred... it even took her a few moments to figure out that she was now lying on her side on the ground, convulsing violently.

“Sweetie! SWEETIE!” Treble yelled at her, shaking her in attempt to bring her back to reality.

It took a few moments before the twitching filly could regain a hold of her body. Sweetie got back up on her hooves and shook one last time before looking at the two ponies now crouched beside her. Her vision and hearing had returned fully.

“Wh....what happened?” Sweetie asked.

“You tell us. Once you finished singing, you had some kind of seizure or something...” Treble explained.

“Wha... I... I don’t know...” Sweetie shook.

“Hm... it might be the Cutie Pox.” Harmonica hypothesized. “I found it strange that you weren’t showing any signs of uncontrollable Cutie Mark usage... part of the reason why I thought yours were fake. They must have something to do with it...”

Was it really the Cutie Marks...? Sweetie wondered. Something inside of her gave her doubt that was true. “Well... what about my singing? Did... did I mess up in the end?”

The three ponies stared at each other for what felt like forever, before finally Treble smiled again. “You were phenomenal.”

“R-really?”

“For a filly, definitely!” Harmonica said. Sweetie felt a sense of victory in herself when she saw the smile on the cream mare’s face. She even managed to get rid of the depressed feeling she’d developed as she sang the song.

“So... am I in?”

“As long as you can keep yourself from fainting on stage, yes.”

Treble picked something else that was stuck behind the sign. “Here you are Ms. Belle. You’ve certainly earned it.”

Sweetie took the item... it was a card of some sort. The border was lined with a swirling gold lining. Little thin ovals, were inside of them... Sweetie compared them to the shape of her own eyes. The way the gold was around them made them glisten in the orange sunlight, as though they were shining at her. Inside was written in cursive

Greetings to whoever possesses this,

You have been graciously invited to attend the festivities located at Yield Manor. Dress code is formal, and all those who don’t comply will be turned away at the door. You will also require a second pony. A date, if you will, to attend this type of party. Also, punctuality is important. If you aren’t present at the manor by or before 8pm on the 5th of August, you may not be given permission to enter. Otherwise, my mansion is your mansion. Within reason, you will have liberty to move around to the different plays, musical performances, and meals prepared by our staff. My wife and I do hope you do enjoy your stay at my humble abode...

Sincerely,

Specter Yield

Below the message were two blank lines. Sweetie figured one was for her, and the other was for whoever would be her date.

“I expect you are able to attend Sweetie?” Harmonica asked.

“Huh?”

“I mean... I do hope you have the correct attire to attend, correct?”

I sure hope so... there’s got to be somepony I know that’ll be able to get me something to wear... Sweetie thought.

“And you have a colt friend that can attend as well...?” Treble asked. “I mean... I’m sure a filly as attractive as yourself must have that special somepony who can come.”

Colt-friend... Colt-friend! Sweetie thought, remembering Squee’s words from earlier.

“...and you told me that you were looking for a colt-friend?” Squee asked.

Sweetie grinned. She may not have known where she was going to get a dress, but she certainly knew who she could take with her to the Manor.

Treble chuckled. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

Harmonica groaned. “Can we head inside now? We have to rush now as it is.”

Treble nodded and gave one last look at the filly. “You’d best hurry along Sweetie Belle. You can’t be late, alright?”

Harmonica nodded. “I’d guess you have maybe an hour and a half... maybe two before eight. I’d move quickly if I were you.”

Two hours? I’m sure that’s plenty of time... right? Sweetie thought. She wasn’t sure herself, considering the day had passed by so quickly. She nodded in comprehension. With the excitement of possibly having a chance to attend the party, she ran back the way she came, to five news of her new ticket to Yield Manor to her “colt-friend”...

***

“C’mon... there has to be something in this hallway.” Busby mumbled to himself as he closed the door from the previous room he’d looked through. He looked to either end of the hallway. To his left was the hole the two of them had crawled through, still far out of his reach as a unicorn. To his left was a seemingly endless hallway of doors. Paita and he had split up to cover more rooms as quickly as possible... he didn’t see her, so he figured that she was still looking through a room.

“Paita?” the stallion called. He didn’t get a response. Probably can’t hear me... Or maybe one of those ghosts got her.

"Or maybe she's just trying to keep her trap shut so that doesn't happen," Busby muttered in response to the thought. He knew how contradictory the act was respect to his own survival, but he just felt it had to be said out loud. If only to make the idea a little more real and himself a little less alone.

The guard shook his head. In any case, he would have heard the grown mare scream, yell... something to at least alert him of the danger. Besides, Busby was sure that if he could escape a few of them, a semi-experienced guard of the night would be able to as well... then again, Busby was only lucky enough to see the ghost before it could even touch him. What would happen if it snuck up on Paita...?

She’s fine... Busby comforted to himself. I’ll just wait here for a little bit... if she doesn’t come, I guess I’ll have to go looking for her. Can’t afford to waste any time...

Busby looked ahead at the window across from the room he’d just exited. Inside of the glass were indentations of flowers and vines... at the center of which was the indentation of a heart, much like the other windows in the hall. He stared out of it... looking at the moon high up in the sky. He was once again reminded of his mission. The princesses were in danger... though how close the danger was had yet to be determined. Unless they had something to do with the ghosts... and if they did, the question became what? And what role did they play in Yield’s?

Biiiilllllyyyyyy.... A cold whispering voice echoed down the endless seeming hallway, sending a chill up Busby’s spine.

“P-Paita?” he stuttered fearfully. He saw cold mist coming from his nostrils, noting that the temperature had just dropped even further than it already was. “P...Paita?”

Suddenly, Busby felt something on his back. He screamed and jumped forward, turning around to face the black and blue armored mare. She laughed.

“Very funny.” Busby said, rolling his eyes.

“It wouldn’t be if you didn’t scare so easily.” She said. “How you passed the bravery test is beyond me.”

I don’t think I did, Busby considered, shamefully. Pretty sure the Instructor felt so bad for me once it was over he gave me a passing mark anyway. Doubt I was the first either. Besides, who is going to have to ever have to go through a labyrinth of demon snakes and zombie ponies anyway...?

“But why did you call me Billy?” Busby asked. “I thought you were calling me Buster.”

“Don’t recall ever calling you anything different.”

Except when you were worried about me... wait... Busby was starting to panic at the realization. “Y-you didn’t call me?”

“Nope.”

Busby looked back at the endless seeming hallway. “Then... Paita, please tell me you heard it then.”

“Heard what?”

“The voice!” Busby exclaimed. Paita raised a brow.

“We’ve only been in here for... what? A few hours?” Paita said. “You’re really letting this place get to you that fast?”

“Hey Pot, I'm Kettle," Busby shot back. He saw that "hitting" look in Paita's eyes, but he was too nervious not to hold his ground this time. Believe it or not, something out there was scarier than Paita right now. "Look, I’m not just hearing things all of a sudden. Somepony called me 'Billy'.”

Paita rolled her eyes. “Sure they did.”

You’re gonna diiiiie heeeeerrrrrreeee..... The voice said silently again.

Busby shivered again. “At least tell me you’ve noticed how much colder it just got.”

Paita shrugged. “I’m a night guard. I’m used to the cold.”

Busby shook his head. “Something’s about to happen, and I don’t like it. We’ve got to figure out what we came in here for and get the hay out. Did you find anything?”

“I’m the one who’s supposed to be asking you that first, rookie.”

So we’re back to rookie now? Busby thought. “Well, I didn’t find hay. Did you?”

“...I checked about four rooms...” Paita said. “How many for you?”

“I only got to check two.” Busby admitted.

“Let me guess... they all looked the same?”

“Different from the ones in the previous hallway, but... yeah. Queen sized bed, nightstand... heck there’s a window in there when there really shouldn’t be!”

“Damn... it’s the same thing with the other hallway. All of the rooms are the same!”

“Maybe it’s another puzzle?” Busby suggested.

Paita let out a small groan.

She looked around. “Well...if this one’s anything like the last, it probably has something to do with this hallway...”

Busby nodded in agreement. “But... there’s nothing in here... except the doors and the windows.”

Paita went up to one of the doors. She squinted for a moment and then took her sword out.

“Paita? What are you-”

“Just shut up for a second Buster...” Paita used the edge of her sword to scratch something in the center of the door. After a couple moments, she nodded. “It is something...”

“What?” Busby asked, approaching Paita to see what she what she’d discovered. It was a small glass hole inside of the door, tinted a bright blue. It was about two inches in diameter... about the size of a pony’s eye.

“A peephole?” Busby asked.

Paita didn’t answer as she opened the door and began working on the other side of the hole. Once she was done, she sheathed her sword and entered the room, closing the door behind her. Busby figured she was trying to see if anything was through the hole.

“...see anything Paita?”

“Oh... I see something alright. That window behind you? It doesn’t lead outside at all.”

“What?”

“Leads to some kind of weird room with a few more doors... this peephole lets me see past it, like some kind of X-Ray of some sort.” Paita opened the door. “These windows are fake! They’re entirely new rooms.”

“Then should we check it out?” Busby asked.

“Don’t see why not.” Paita agreed.

“If you say so. Ready?” Busby asked.

“The better question is, are you?”

But... I asked you first... Busby frowned. Paita didn't notice.

Busby backed up as Paita brought back her sword and swung at the glass window. It’s shattering sound echoed throughout the hallway as the large window came crashing down. Only as the glass came showering on her did Busby realize how dumb the idea was.

“Paita! You ok?”

Immediately after breaking the window, the other windows blackened and any moonlight coming from them was immediately shut out. The hallway would have been pitch black if it weren’t for the candle lights coming through their newly created portal.

The mare shook off some of the glass that had fallen on her. She turned to face the stallion, revealing the cut that was on her face. “Just a scratch here and there. I’ll be fine.”

Busby circled around Paita, examining the mare. “Are you sure? Nowhere you need to be treated or-”

“I said I was fine Buster.” Paita snapped. “What the hay is wrong with you? Why are you so worried about me?”

“The same reason you were worried about me Paita.”

“I wasn’t worried about you.” Paita stressed. “I was just trying to figure what the hay was taking you so long. Get your mind out of your stupid fantasies already.”

Busby blinked. “Who said I was fantasizing? Even more, about what?”

“About...” Paita trailed off.

She didn't need to finish, apparent by the blush that showed up on his face. "A-are you serious? I'm not..." Busby sighed. The blush went away as fast as it'd shown up. Regardless it was obvious Paita wouldn't forget it. “I’m worried about you because I don’t want to see any pony die. Especially not a friend.”

“We’re not friends.” Paita turned away from the stallion. “For the last time. We’re just working together to get out of this Celestia-forsaken maze of hallways. Nothing else.”

“Well, I see you as a friend I can trust, and would risk my life over.” Busby said.

“That makes one of us.”

Wow. I didn't think it could get colder in here.

“Now... we’re wasting moonlight. Let’s see what we’re dealing with through here.”

Paita walked through the new portal and Busby followed. As Paita said, the room was quite peculiar... it was a large square room with four doors. On each door, there were words written in some kind of pink sludge. Aside from that, the only furnishings or items of interest were the candles themselves providing the two ponies with dim eerie lighting.

“What the hay is this...?” Paita asked.

“...another puzzle?” Busby smiled.

Paita groaned. Louder this time. “I’m sick of this puzzle crap.”

“Oh Paita, we just got here.” Busby mocked. “Don’t tell me these puzzles are getting to you already.”

Paita raised a hoof to hit the stallion. He covered up, expecting his muzzle to fill with pain and suffering... though the mare ultimately decided against it as she went to examine the door to the far right.

“...well... at least this one has instructions, I think. Or at least has some kind of message.” Paita said.

“...wanna read it?”

“I suppose I have to do everything then...” Paita sighed.

Yeah, Paita. You do everything. Good job moving that booby painting, or jumping into that death hole in the wall. I wish I did as much as you Paita... Busby thought sarcastically.

“Would you like to play a game with me?” Paita read, moving around to the different doors. “Just by using your brain, you will see... the solution to this puzzle is as clear as glass... the right order is the way to pass... and then there’s a smiley face right next to pass.”

“Well, at least the sadistic buck who came up with all of this had a nice attitude about it.” Busby joked.

“Does it matter? We still need to figure out how to get out of here.” Paita snapped.

“Okay, okay...” Busby said.

“No go open that door.” Paita said, pointing to the furthermost left door.

“Why am I always the guinea pig?” Busby asked, heading over to the door.

“Technically you haven’t said ‘no’ yet.” Paita said.

Gee, I wonder why. Busby's snout started to ache again.

He put his hoof to the door and bowed his head. He turned his head to the mare. “At least give me a thanks every now and again. Or maybe a little credit?”

Paita sighed. “Good job crawling through that hole in the wall Buster. I’m so proud of you.”

“I-It was a death hole! It could have had death in it!” Busby exclaimed.

“It was a hole Buster.”

“One of these days Paita. Something’s gonna happen.” Busby said as he opened the door. “And when it does-”

*click*

Paita’s eyes widened as the stallion pushed the door open. “BUSBY! Back! Now!”

As though Paita’s sheer words and will moved him themselves, the stallion jumped back and was immediately thrown by the force of a fiery explosion.

“Busby!” Paita called, rushing to his side. He was unconscious, but still alive. She saw it just as he opened the door. She didn’t realize what it was, but she did see the mechanism of wine glasses and matches built behind the door... it was yet another booby trap.

“Damn...” Paita mumbled. She examined the stallion to make sure that he hadn’t suffered any real damage... aside from a few bruises from the impact, and a burn he’d received ironically on his snout, he was fine. “Can’t you take care of yourself for once?”

Paita put Busby in a more comfortable position on his stomach and looked back at the door he’d just opened.

Apprehensively, she went over to the room and examined it. It was completely destroyed. The floor was obliterated and the walls were charred if they were even up at all. Paita couldn’t see anything past the fire, unfortunately. On the chunks of wall that were still there however... she could make out little markings made in the same pink sludge that she’d seen on the doors. Inside of the door frame, she could tell there was, in fact, a little switch.

That switch... Maybe I’m supposed to press it once the door opens. Paita figured. Problem is I need to open the door to hit it. Can’t open the door without triggering some kind of trap though, but that message said I needed some kind of order. It probably has something to do with what was written against that wall. But how the hay am I supposed to figure out what’s against the wall without opening the damned thing?

Paita thought long and hard on the issue... there had to be a way of making sure she was opening the right door in the right order. A thought came to her as she looked at another door. She moved over to it and took out her sword once more. She proceeded to scrape off the tough gooey message off of it. Maybe there’d be something like before, a hole maybe, that she could see through the door with. Once she was finished, she was disappointed to find that all that was there was an emblem depicting a design of a flower and a heart.

“Wait a second...” Paita mumbled as she stood back to look at the design. She’d seen it before. Recently too, but the question became where? She closed her eyes to think about it. She remembered Busby standing at the window, looking out it as she walked up to him. The window... it... it had an etching just like that one! But what does that mean? I used that hole in the wall to figure out what was behind that fake window. Maybe... just maybe...

Paita looked at Busby one last time before heading back through the portal and into the hallway. It was still pretty dark, but she could at least see the door to the bedroom with the peephole.

She gave it a look one last time before she took her sword up into her teeth once more and aimed it steadily just to the left of the glass circular object. She then gave the side a few good swings before she finally made her slit in the wall. Once she was sure she’d completely penetrated the wall, she did the same thing for the top and bottom of the peephole. Once it looked loose enough, the mare sheathed her sword and hit the glass piece with her hoof as hard as she could. As she’d hoped, the piece was released from the door and fell to the ground.

Perfect... She smiled as she picked up the piece with her teeth. Paita headed back through the portal into it’s light. After making sure Busby was alright again, she decided to stand in front of the door that she scraped the message off of, and test her hypothesis.

Carefully in one hoof, she held the peephole over her right eye and closed the left to see through it. As she’d hoped, she could see that, behind the door, was written the number “4”. Paita assumed, of the 4 doors she needed to open, this would have to be the last one.

She moved to the next door and looked through the peephole... though this time, it was impossible to read it. The message that was still scribbled on the wall was in the way. Paita groaned, annoyed at the extra work she needed to do, as she used her sword to scrape off the gooey substance. At least she knew that whatever the glass was made of, it was made to find whatever that goo was made of. Though it didn’t explain how it told her that the windows were fake. Maybe it did something more than track weird glowing goo?

Once she cleaned off the door, she used her peephole to check the number. It was “1”. This was the first door she needed to open. She held back the urge to open it quite yet, however, desiring to make sure she didn’t make a mistake in this puzzle. She scraped the next door off and checked the number. It was “2”.

I guess that means that number in the room on fire is 3... speaking of which. Paita thought. She walked over to the room and closed the door. Hopefully, now that all the doors are closed it’ll restart the puzzle. Suppose I’ll find out in a second. Damn it Busby, why did you have to get knocked out like that. Paita took a deep breath and went to door one. She opened the door, hoping not to meet the same fate as her co-worker.

The door creaked open to Paita’s relief allowing her to see inside of the room. It was another bedroom.

What kind of pony needs so many beds? I don’t care how rich you are, there's something off about that. the mare thought as she hit the door frame switch and moved to the next door. She was hesitant to open the next door, but not as much as before, feeling just a little braver from the previous one. She opened it... it was a bathroom this time.

Two down, two to go... Paita thought as she went to the third door. She opened this one with no fear, knowing the trap behind it was already disarmed. Though, when she opened it and felt the heat of the fire hit her so suddenly, she realized how right Busby was when she felt the shift in temperature. Huh. Guess he was right... wonder what made it so cold...? Ah whatever. Only one more door to go. She hit the switch. Wonder what was in that room anyway...?

Paita went to the last door and proceeded to open it. It revealed to be some kind of study.

Well... I’m still alive and all of the doors are open. Paita thought. Now... what’s gonna happen when I hit this switch? Paita gave one last look at the still unconscious stallion before she finally built up enough courage to hit the switch.

Something on the ceiling slid loudly, allowing something to fall down from it. Paita approached the item and picked it up. “What the hay?” Paita examined the object. No matter what, she couldn’t see it as anything else but one thing. It was a camera. “No... no way...”

Busby moaned painfully as he got back up onto his hooves. “Oh boy... what the... what happened?”

Though she didn’t realize it, Paita smiled, happy to see the stallion back to his feet. Though quickly, her smile turned into a sly smirk. “You got blown away, that’s what.”

“What?”

“You fell for another one of those stupid traps. Just like the little idiot you are, Buster.”

Busby shook his head before looking at the mare. He wasn't even surprised anymore. The annoyance was still there, though. “You could at least ask if I was alright.”

“You’re still alive right?” Paita asked. “And you’re on your hooves?”

“Yeah, but-”

“Then you’re fine.”

“...so what were you doing while I was out?”

“Actually getting something done.”

“Like?”

Paita showed Busby the camera. “This is the crap we went through that puzzle crap for.”

“A... camera?” Busby asked.

Paita threw the camera over to the stallion. “I can’t believe it.”

Busby began examining the camera. “M...maybe it’s another pu-”

“Forget it Buster. It’s a dead end from here.” Paita stormed back through the portal.

“Paita... c’mon. There’s gotta be something we’re missing.”

“No Buster. I’m sick of it.” Paita said from the hallway. “This was a dead end from the beginning. Our entire unit is probably trapped... or dead somewhere. And we’re wondering this maze that probably doesn’t even have an exit. I- what the hay is that I- glk!”

“...Paita?” Busby called to the suddenly silent mare. “...Paita, this isn’t funny.” Busby took a few steps to the portal before she saw Paita, being grabbed by a yellow ghost pony. It’s hoof was extending down the mares throat, fear and confusion in her eyes. “PAITA!”

Paita was struggling to free herself from the ghost’s grip, of course to no avail. She hit it’s sides, and face, somehow managing to hit it, but nothing to get it to stop grinning, let alone release her.

Oh Celestia no!

Busby wracked his brain trying to figure out what to do about the ghost killing his friend. Suddenly, a thought came to him. He remembered reading up on a belief that cameras were used to steal ponies souls. Could he do the same with the camera he held now?

“Hold on Paita!” Busby yelled as he aimed his camera at the grinning ghost mare and clicked it. Nothing happened... the mare simply glanced at Busby and laughed at his attempts.

“NO!” Busby yelled, repeatedly clicking the picture button.

Billy. It won't work.

“What?! Who’s there?!” Busby panicked.

Listen to me Billy. I don’t have time to explain. Listen to me! Light is the key. It’s the only way to save your friend! Use it before I put it out!

“Light... light... Light!” Busby said, remembering the candles on the walls. Quickly Busby used his magic to snatch one off the wall and threw it at the ghost. As he did, he ran for Paita. Almost instantly as the candle hit the mare, she lit on fire and screamed, dropping Paita. Busby arrived just in time to catch her on his back and bust through the door into the bedroom. Quickly, he slammed the door behind him, panting with the shivering mare.

Busby set Paita down against the wall and sat beside her.

“Are... are you alright Paita?”

Paita was uncontrollably shaking. The stallion had never seen fear like that in her eyes before. “What... the hay... was that?”

“It was uh... a terrible thing. Just remember to avoid those.”

"Ghosts... right," Paita shakily nodded. There was an acceptance in that voice and that nod. “Busby I... I... never... want to feel a chill like that... again...”

Busby hugged the mare in an effort to warm her. She didn’t fight it; the stallion was sure she was even embracing the contact. She leaned against the stallion, allowing his body heat to mix with what was left of her own.

”I wouldn’t call myself terrible for saving your life Billy.”

“My name’s not Billy.” Busby called up to the ceiling.

“I didn’t... call you Billy. I said-”

“Shh.” Busby said. “There’s a voice in my head speaking to me.”

“W...whatever you say...” Paita said, blankly staring at the ground. Wow, she really was out of it. It was almost depressing.

“Who are you?”

“Simple... I am Daisy Maidem Sunflower. Legally known as Madame Yield and to you, the ghost mare who just attempted to kill you.”

“But... what are you doing in my head?”

“You know that little device you have in your shaking hooves?” Madame asked.

Busby looked at the camera.

“Taking pictures of certain ghosts allows their uncontrolled halves to make contact with the living’s minds... useful for ghosts who still have the will to help the living.”

“But... you tried to kill my friend! You mean you’ve been being controlled by somepony or something?”

“Something like that... but I’m here to help you stay alive... as far as I can anyway.” Madame said.

“Ms. Yield... you couldn’t imagine the number of questions I’ve got for you, but right now, I’ve just got one.” Busby said, not realizing how loaded the question was. “What in the hay is happening in this mansion?”

“Billy... I could go on for hours... on what’s been happening around here, but I can only tell you what’s important for time’s sake... because we’re running out of it rapidly.” Madame explained. “You need to get to a white-coated filly named ‘Sweetie Belle’.”

“Sweetie Belle? You mean that filly that greeted us at the door?” Busby asked.

“Why... in the hay are you talking about her?” Paita said sourly. “She’s the one who got us into this mess.”

“That wasn’t the real Sweetie Belle... she calls herself such, but believe me, when I say that isn’t her” Madame explained. “The real Sweetie... is gone.”

“Gone?” Busby asked.

“Yes... overshadowed by the spirit of one Spiffy Butler.” Madame explained. “She’d been hunting for her friends as well as other ghosts before you and your guards arrived... now she’s gone. And I have my doubts as to whether or not she’ll be able to retake control over her body... which means you need to finish this and stop my husband from making the biggest mistake of his life... afterlife... whichever makes more sense to you.”

“Hold on, back up... that filly was... hunting those things?” Busby asked. “How?! You can’t fight those things!”

“Believe it or not Billy, there are numerous ways to go to battle with ghosts... but what Sweetie has is a specially designed Ghost Capture Device you need to acquire to capture her sister... If this works, you should be able to obtain the mare’s cutie mark, and hopefully, that will stir something to help you stop Specter... if he hasn’t taken control over Celestia anyway.”

“Take over Celestia? How and why?!”

“As I’ve told you before. We don’t have time for every single question you have.” Madame said. “Besides, we’ve wasted too much time as it is. We need to get you out of that room and back to the first floor before all of the ghosts I’ve alerted start swarming the place.”

“YOU’RE BRINGING MORE?!” Busby exclaimed.

“Yell any louder Billy, and they may come faster.” Madame warned. “In fact, maybe you should try using your inner monologue. We can communicate telepathically, after all.”

“Telepathically...In my head? Why didn’t you say I could talk to you by thinking?!” Busby asked.

“Because I’m sure it must look fun when your marefriend sees you talking to yourself.” Madame said.

“So now not even my own thoughts are private?” Busby asked.

“I’m not sure.” Madame responded. “I suppose we’ll find out?”

Oh boy... the stallion though.

“But enough of this Billy. We need to get you back over to that bathroom.”

“But I don’t have to go.” Busby argued.

“I... meant for your escape, Billy. That camera... it has a secondary property to it.” Madame explained. “It has the ability to teleport any ponies wielding it, as well as anyone touching them at the time, to teleport back to the safe zone... truth be told, since my husband shut down the power, it’s not very safe anymore... but it’ll at least get you out of there before you get ghostified by my re-enforcements.”

“And... the bathroom?”Busby asked.

“The bathroom should hold a mirror... one with which you should be able to teleport with by using it... hopefully there’s a mirror compatible with that particular one down there... It’s one of your only chance at escape...”

“Alright. I’ll let Paita know what’s happening.” Busby responded. ”Tell me when it’s alright to leave.”

“Paita?” Busby said. She didn’t answer, looking down. Busby shook the mare. “Paita, listen to me. We’re going to get out of this alright? I... I think we can get out of this.”

Paita shook her head hopelessly. “No... no there’s no way out. It’s a trap. There isn’t supposed to be a way out.”

“Yes. Yes there is.” Busby assured. “Look, I... we’ve got a plan. We just need to get to the bathroom-”

“I’m NOT going back out there.” Paita snapped.

“Paita. Paita!” Busby said shaking the mare. His voice was forceful... a tone that he didn’t even know he was capable of. “What are you? You’re a night guard right?”

“...I don’t know. I guess.” Paita said, looking up to the stallion.

“Look, I’m scared too, but going up against the things that scare you most is what it’s all about. You can’t let a few ghosts scare you into a corner, can you?” Busby smiled as the mare looked up at him. “And besides... are you really going to let me be the brave stallion and you be the scared little filly when this is all said and done?”

Paita crossed her eyes. Busby saw that fire he knew and loved, renewed in those pretty yellow eyes of hers. She looked down at Busby’s legs, and back up at his face.

“Buster.” she said.

“Huh?”

“Are those... your legs around me?”

“Uh... well, you were shivering and-”

“Stop.”

“What?”

“Now. I’m going to say this slowly so a simple brain like yours can comprehend it.” Paita said. “You have... one second to release me, before you end up being called Bumpy.”

“Bumpy? Why?”

“Let me go or I will rip your legs off.” Busby quickly released the mare as she stood up and stretched out. She was still shivering, but she was just definitely feeling better. Never before had he felt so glad for somepony to threaten to turn him into a vegetable. “Buster... let it be known that we will never, and I mean never, speak of this again.”

“Until it happens again...” Busby mumbled.

“What was that Buster?” Paita asked.

“Nothing, dear heart.” Busby smiled.

“...you mentioned an escape route?” Paita asked, ignoring the stallion’s comment.

“Yeah, but we’d have to move slow and quietly. Did you see a bathroom somewhere around here?” Busby asked.

“In fact I did.” Paita said. “While you were unconscious.”

“Did it have a mirror?” Busby asked.

“... I didn’t check. Why?”

“Because if I can take a picture of it, it will transport us to some kind of ‘safezone’.” Busby explained.

“And pray tell where did you hear this?”

“The voice in my head told me.” Busby explained. Paita looked Busby as though he was crazy. “I’ll... explain later. But trust me, it’s our only chance for escape. If you've got a better plan, I'm all ears.”

“...fine.” Paita agreed. “But if I get killed over this, I amgoing to haunt you.”

”Around here, that should be easy enough.”Madame commented.

“You both say that like my life isn’t in danger too.” Busby said. Paita ignored it.

“Are you ready?”Madame asked.

As we’ll ever be... Busby thought.

“That’s all I ask. Now move.” Madame said.

“Go. Now.” Busby reiterated to Paita.

The two slowly opened the door and peeked their heads out. The candles were now out, and aside from any ghostly glow, the world around them was pitch black. Madame was gone, but she was replaced with grinning ghosts, looking in the direction of the square hole they’d originally come through. Both of the living ponies were cautious to opening the door too wide, knowing the moonlight might have been enough to alert the ghosts to their position. Silently, Paita and Busby snuck past it and through the windowed portal.

In the room, there were two more ghosts, both of whom were patrolling the room. Paita and Busby held their breaths, as though the slightest huff would be enough to blow their cover. Paita turned to Busby, who she could barely see from the glow the ghosts emitted.

“Follow me.” she mouthed. Once both ghosts weren’t facing what Paita hoped to be the bathroom, she began to lead Busby. They moved slowly to the second room, careful not to make any sudden sounds when-

ACHOO!

Paita let out a loud sneeze. Both Busby’s and Paita’s eyes dilated with fear as they saw the two ghosts now looking directly at them.

“RUN!” Busby commanded as Paita ran into the bathroom, followed by Busby. Paita shut the door. “Damn! I can’t see anything! Where’s the mirror!”

“Just start taking pictures! Hurry!” Madame urged.

“Hold on to me Paita!”

Too scared to question the stallion, Paita hugged Busby around his neck as he began taking pictures in random directions in the room. The laughter outside became louder and the room was getting colder and colder.

“There’s a lot of them out there Busby!” Paita panicked. “This had better work!”

“You’re telling me! C’mon... C’MON!” Busby yelled. Just as the room filled with ghosts of every shape and form, another glowing form began swirling around the two guards... the world began swirling around them in a green light...

***

“...so after I woke up with the saddlebags and left the square, and after walking around for a little while, I started hearing this really pretty guitar.” Sweetie continued to tell Squee of her evening and why she was so late. “And then-”

“Sweetie...” Squee stopped her. “That’s all wonderful and stuff, but why didn’t you come right home?”

“I told you! I got lost.”

“Stabletown’s only so big! You were gone for hours!”

Feels more like an hour to me... Sweetie thought. “Sorry Squee... I didn’t mean to make you worry...”

Squee sighed and smiled. “I can’t be mad at you... I’m just happy none of those other Stabletown weirdos didn’t get to you. Young ponies sometimes go a little crazy, or disappear completely if they don’t know how to take care of themselves...”

“... but I do have some really good news.”

“You told me when you ran in here.” Squee grinned. “The anticipation is killing me, what is it?”

“Hold on...” Sweetie sifted through her saddlebags, noting there was more than the invitation inside. Huh? What’s all this stuff? Sweetie figured she had to check it out, but not before she gave Squee her little ‘surprise’. “Here it is.”

“What’s that?” Squee asked. He took the card from Sweetie and examined it. As he read down the cursive, his eyes grew wider as Sweetie’s grin grew larger. “H-how did you... you... do you have anyone to go with you?”

“Weeeeeeellll.... I dunno Squee. Do I have someone to go with?” She cooed to the colt.

Squee chuckled. “You know.... it’s the colt who’s supposed to ask the filly out, right?”

“Well... I haven’t asked you anything yet. And you’re the one holding that invitation.” Sweetie reminded. “You’re the one who’s got to find a date. Not me...”

Squee combed his hair back and got in front of Sweetie. “Well... are you doing anything tonight then?”

As the colt stood so close to her, Sweetie felt somewhat intimidated by him. Perhaps it was nervousness of being so close to the opposite sex in that manner. Sweetie looked away from Squee, pretending to remember if she did. “Hm... my night’s looking pretty busy, but I’m sure I can make time.” she joked.

“Well then. How would you like to go to this here little party huh?” Squee said, getting close to Sweetie before nuzzling her on her neck. The chill of pleasure tickled her to giggle and step back. She liked the feeling of another against her, yet at the same time, she felt an extreme sense of déjà vu as he did. Like that feeling had as much of a bad omen, as it did a good one.

“Sounds like fun.” Sweetie rubbed her neck. “But... but we need clothes, don’t we?”

“Hm... yeah. I think I’ve got a suit or two myself back at home... but that leaves you. You need a dress... you don’t have one, do you?”

Sweetie shook her head. “...you don’t think that somepony would have a dress for me now, do you? The sun’s down and...”

“Well... I remember seeing you talking to that Axinite chick earlier.” Squee remembered. “Er... not that I was spying on you or anything. Just happened to see you and her talking.”

“Axinite... why does that actually sound familiar...? And Squee, I didn’t ask if you were spying.” Sweetie raised a brow. “Besides... I doubt I would’ve remembered if you had ...are you sure you weren’t-”

“A-anyway,” Squee cut off, “She seemed to be fond of you... you seemed to be fond of her too. Probably why she actually rings a bell or two. I bet she’s got a dress your size somewhere around her shop.”

“Really? Well... I guess that’s our next stop huh?”

“Better hurry though. Party’s about to start, and we can’t be late.” Squee reminded as he went to the door. “C’mon.”

“Actually, mind waiting outside? I just wanted to check something.”

Squee shrugged. “Sure. Just don’t be too long...” Squee thought for another moment. “And don’t go any further into the library, Ms. Covri said.”

“Ms. Covri... I was wondering where she went.”

“Yeah. She’s somewhere in the back.” Squee motioned his head in the general direction he’d seen Covri head off. “She’s getting dressed and meeting her own date. Doesn’t want anyone she’d have to clean up after to go any further into the library. Trust me... Covri’s nice, but she’ll hold a grudge for ponies who intentionally break the rules. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you... just stay near the door, alright?”

Sweetie nodded in comprehension. “Anything else?”

“...nah. I think I’m good. Anyway, don’t be too long... whatever you’re doing.” Squee headed through the front door of the library, leaving Sweetie alone.

Alright... really quick. Let’s see what’s in these random saddlebags...

Sweetie looked through the bags, examining each object over. The camera, and it’s ‘green’ writing on the inside, the flashlight, which she tested out and was nearly blinded by, and the photo. The photo of the library illustrated a shelf with a book circled.

“That book... it’s in here?” Sweetie looked up. “And that green... I remember seeing it somewhere... where did I-” Sweetie turned to the library front desk. She hopped up on it and checked it. There it was, the list of ponies that owned library cards and were registered in the establishment. As she remembered, some of the ponies had their names written in a green bulging ink. Under closer examination, most of them were the exact ponies that stuck in her mind that she’d met or heard about somewhere around town. Romina, Bottle, Feather, Cal, Axinite, and Covri herself. Oddly enough, there were also 6 of the ponies who were apparently going to the same party she’d only recently been given the ability to attend. Odd. Wonder why these are highlighted like this... probably should remember them... if I can.

Sweetie jumped down from the desk and looked down an isle of shelves. She really wanted to know where this book the photo she found emphasized so much upon. At the same time, she didn’t want to get in trouble with Covri, or create any bad blood between herself and the mare. For the next minute, Sweetie found herself walking back and forth, indecisive on what her next course of action should be. Finally, she stopped, staring at the isle once more.

Mmmm.... J-just a peek. I’ll be in and out before Covri even knows I’m gone. Sweetie decided as she quietly began her creep deeper into the library.

Sweetie didn’t dare make any sudden sounds, lest she be discovered by Covri or her dog Sheep. She turned the corners of the maze-like sections of the library, passing by some she didn’t even recall Covri showing her during her first tour. The ranch-hatted filly was beginning to question if she would be able to make it back to Squee in the timely manner she’d hoped for.

Sweetie stopped in her tracks as she heard the sound of a yawn. Somepony was just waking up. No it wasn’t a pony. It was too high pitched to be so, it would have had to have been an animal. The realization that Sheep was just waking up didn’t make Sweetie feel any better about the situation... if he was truly awake, no doubt he would alert Covri to the intruder. Sweetie backed away from the corner, and turned around, ready to head back.

But that book... the thought came to Sweetie’s head. She wasn’t quite sure where it was coming from, but she couldn’t help but feel that the book held some kind of importance to her. It had to have been important if it was so boldly circled. Sweetie took a deep breath and pushed forward. Maybe she’d just imagined the yawn. Maybe Sheep was somewhere else entirely in the library.

Sweetie poked her head around the next corner. As she feared, Sheep was there... but he was asleep. Although, it looked that rather than waking up, he seemed to have just settled down for a nap. Sweetie held back her sigh of relief as she crept by the dog as quietly as possible. Staying against one bookcase, Sweetie crept by him as every breath he breathed made her stop, fearing he was about to awaken once more. Though the seconds felt more like minutes, Sweetie managed to pass by the collie without fault. Once her heart had finally decided to calm down, she kept on going.

Eventually, Sweetie came to a ladder, much like the one that was shown in the picture. She looked up, figuring that, like the photo, the book was at the top of the shelf. After looking to the left and to the right, checking to make sure that Covri and Sheep weren’t coming that way, she began her ascent up the ladder. Once she made it to the top, she looked around until she finally saw the red and gold bound book in the picture. Sweetie didn’t waste time in picking it up, though with her three other hooves keeping her anchored to the ladder, all she could do was stuff the book in her bag for now-

“Hey! Who’s that! Cal?! You’re not supposed to be here!”

Sweetie froze, not daring to look up. She knew exactly who’d called her, as she heard Covri’s voice from atop the bookshelves. She remembered Squee mentioning how she did most of her private affairs up there, such as sleeping, eating and changing.

Wait... I’m not Cal. Sweetie thought. She realized that Covri must have only seen her hat, but under closer inspection she’d realize it was the filly instead. Sweetie had to think. She couldn’t afford to go back down and run out, as she might risk getting cornered by Sheep. If she was going to escape, it would have been to get past Covri, but the question became how?

”My eyes aren't supposed to be exposed to extremely bright light...” Ms Covri said.

Sweetie needed a bright light. Something that would at least keep Covri unable to see long enough to conceal her identity until she could leave. ...and I think I’ve got just the thing...

Sweetie fumbled around in her saddlebags as she listened to Covri get closer and closer, hopping along a bookcase every second or two. Finally, Sweetie found the flashlight amongst the other items and promptly stuck it in her mouth.

“Cal, if you moved one book out of place I-”

Sweetie hit the switch and turned toward where Covri’s voice was coming from, shinning the light directly in her face.

“AH! Cal! What the hay is that?!”

As she thought, from the sound of her master being confronted, Sheep woke up and barked.

Gotta go. Gotta go. Sweetie realized. If Sheep managed to spot her, and track her to the exit, she’d be done for. Quickly but carefully, Sweetie ascended to the top of the bookcase, while still keeping the flashlight trained on Covri’s face. She squinted, trying to see past the light, but with her condition, she couldn’t even afford to move toward it, or at all even, risking falling to the floor below due to her temporary blindness. She’d need at least a minute, even after the light was off, to be able to see anything. Carefully, Sweetie kept her light trained on her as long as she could, hopping along the bookshelves.

“What did you do?!” Covri yelled. “Who are you?!”

Sweetie didn’t answer the mare, feeling somewhat guilty for stealing from her. She almost considered stopping the deception of who she was and what she was doing. Maybe Covri would go easy on her?

No... it’s too risky... Sweetie realized. If she planned on going with Squee to the party, she couldn’t risk wasting any more time with Covri. Even if she didn’t desire the filly’s head for her actions, she’d still have some explaining to do. She had to go with the book now, if she ever hoped to get out in time. She wasn’t even sure how she would make it out in time even now, considering everything else she needed to do.

Once Sweetie couldn’t turn her head any further without walking backwards, she decided she’d have to book it as fast as possible, hoping Covri would stay blinded long enough for her to escape.

Gotta go faster... faster... Sweetie thought as she hopped faster and faster down the line of bookshelves, glancing at the still frozen Covri.

Finally, Sweetie found herself at the end of the line. Without thinking, she jumped from the bookcase and down to front of the library. She wasn’t sure why, but some kind of instinct, something that was used to falling such heights and knew how to land activated in her. With barely a thought, parkour rolled onto the ground and right by the desk. She even managed to do it by barely making any noise.

“What the... where did she go?” Covri asked out loud.

Better get out of here. Won’t be long before she realizes I probably left through the front door... Sweetie said as she crept out of the front door of the acorn building.

“Sweetie?” Squee asked when she left the library. Sweetie was annoyed and shocked at how loud he was.

“Shhhh...” Sweetie shushed.

Squee raised an eyebrow. “Sweetie? Something wrong?”

Uh oh. Can’t let him get too suspicious. Last thing I need is him blowing my cover. Sweetie thought. “Uh... no, o-of course nothing’s wrong.”

“Are you sure? It sure sounds like something.”

Smooth Belle. Now he’s even more suspicious and likely to blow my cover.

“N-no. No, I’m sure.” Sweetie stabilized her voice. Gotta get him out of here. “Er... we’re going to Mr. Axinite’s place, right?”

“Ms. Axinite.”

Around here, that tends to get a little confusing.

“Yeah, Ms. Axinite. I’ll... I’ll race you there.” Sweetie wasn’t sure why she’d mentioned a race when she could have just said that they needed to hurry. Either way, her flank tingled at the prospect.

Squee seemed to find the idea interesting as well, as an enthusiastic grin stretched across his face. “You’re on! Just try and keep up!”

Squee raced off and Sweetie happily followed, giving one last look at the library. She saw Covri bust out just as she ran into the shadows of the night, barely escaping pursuit.

Phew... that was way too close. Alright you stupid curiosity. Next time... I make the shots. You’re dangerous...

***

“Sweetie Belle!” Axinite exclaimed as Sweetie and Squee stood in front of the door of Axinite’s shop in Upper Stabletown. The outside was pitch black at this point, the sun gone and the moon barely risen. “And... and Little Squee... how nice.”

For a moment Sweetie wondered why the mare suddenly sounded so unenthusiastic upon seeing her little colt friend. After comparing the cleanliness, not to mention the dressing of both Squee and Axinite, Sweetie felt she could guess why.

Axinite seemed hesitant, but after looking at Sweetie once more, she smiled. “What can I do for you?... both.”

“Erm... I know this is kind of last minute but... Squee said we could get something to wear... to the party.” Sweetie explained. “F-for both of us, if you could.”

“For both of you?” Axinite looked at the two small ponies, putting her hoof to her lip. “Hm... Sweetie, I specialize in dresses dear. Unless your friend here is a filly in disguise... I don’t have anything for him.”

“What?” Squee said, surprised and unconvinced. “But what about that stallion I keep seeing you with around town? You made him a suit! Didn’t you?”

Axinite shook her head. “That stallion, Mr. Satin, is my... er, special friend dear. My date for tonight actually.” She paused for a moment. “However, the fact he is so doesn’t change my profession. I solely specialize in perfumes, dresses, make-up... mare things colts such as yourself wouldn’t commonly be concerned with.” she explained. “However... for Mr. Satin, I was more than willing to learn how to make a few suits and even get a zebra to teach me the mixes for common colones. You remember Xina, right?”

“Nope.”

Axinite raised an eyebrow. “Are you sure? You only met her just this-”

“Er... she has amnesia. She barely remembers anything past when she got brought back to Feather’s infirmary. She’s getting better though, I think...”

“Oh... you poor thing.” Axinite said brushing the back of Sweetie’s mane. “As I said though, Mr. Satin’s the only reason I even considered working with suits.”

“Anything my size?”

“Well... I do believe there might be a dress in the back you could borrow.”

“Really?” Sweetie’s ears perked in excitement.

“What about me?” Squee asked.

Axinite frowned. “Like I said, I only learned how to make them with Mr. Satin in mind. I have a few...” Axinite shook her head. “...but nothing tailored to a colt your size.”

Sweetie’s ears went back down. “But... we both need something to wear.”

“I’m sorry Sweetie, but I just don’t have the time, or the materials for that matter to make Squee a whole new suit tailored.” Axinite apologized. “The party is less than an hour away!”

Squee immediately noticed Sweetie’s sudden slip into sadness as she bowed her head; Her eyes were covered by the shadow of her hat. The colt saw fit to reassure her. “D-don’t worry Sweetie. We can still go! Remember, I said I’ve got a suit over in Lower Stabletown?”

“B-but that’s all the way over there!” Sweetie argued.

“Ms. Belle does have a point... that is quite the trip.”

“Ah don’t sweat it. I’m fast remember?”

And who’s the one who beat your flank here? Sweetie thought. She arrived at Axinite’s doorstep a full 30 seconds before Squee with only a barely knowing where to go to start.

“Just head up before me.” Squee backed toward the door. “You know how to get there, right?”

“And if you’re not?” Sweetie asked.

“I’ll be there, but if I’m not, I’m sure you’ll think of something.” Squee smiled. “Worst case scenario, we’ll meet up inside somehow, alright?”

“Think of something? W-wait, what do you mean by-” Sweetie asked as the little colt burst out of the door. She sighed. Always on the move.

Axinite giggled. “You sure picked one gem of a colt, hm?”

Sweetie rolled her eyes.

“Come along now. The festivities officially start 20 minutes after curfew, if I’m not mistaken... you haven’t seen a firework go up in the sky on your way here, have you?”

“Firework?” Sweetie asked.

“Yes... a white flare that shot up in the sky and blew up... have you seen one of those?”

Sweetie shook her head.

Axinite sighed in relief. “Excellent. Then that means we’ve at least got a bit of time to get you cleaned up and ready...” Axinite looked at Sweetie. “There’s a tub with warm water... Mr. Satin might have used it, but for the most part, it’s clean. Hm... as for the dress... there should be a light blue dress in the back... Do... you need me to help you or anything?”

“What?”

“I mean...” Axinite rubbed the back of her head. “It’s not my place, as a stranger, still, to ask to assist you in any of your private affairs, but...” She looked off to the window that was placed in front of the home/dress shop. There was a look of longing... nostalgia perhaps in her eyes. She was likely remembering something. After a couple minutes, she shook from her stupor. “I’m sorry. As I said, it’s not anything I should be concerned with. After all, with so many stories and rumors of disappearing children, I have no reason to trust you, or treat you like a filly who can’t take care of herself.”

Sweetie looked at Axinite like a puzzle. One possible reason was simply the matter of how she acted around Sweetie. As though despite the fact that she didn’t have any relations to this mare, Axinite was treating her differently. Treating her like a sister might... or possibly a mother. At the very least, her eyes showed she cared for Sweetie. Or maybe it wasn’t Sweetie that she cared about, but something else that the hatted filly reminded her of. Then there was Sweetie herself. As she stared at the mare, she couldn’t help but feel something bubbling inside her. Dim, but present emotions, again as though she knew this mare from long ago. Did she really know this mare before her memory loss? Evidence proved that to be false but... she couldn’t help but feel like she not only could trust this mare, but she had to. That Sweetie wanted to be treated as such. Even if it was her being a little baby, Sweetie craved contact with the mare. But why? And more importantly, why did the emotion feel so mutual?

“Well... I could use some help washing my back. Really hard to reach anywhere past these saddlebags.” Sweetie considered. “And I don’t know the first thing about putting on a fancy dress. You think you can help me with that?”

Axinite smiled. “Of course little filly, follow me to the bathroom. Hopefully Satin’s left so we can have our privacy.”

Sweetie nodded and followed the mare through the shop, to the back, residential quarters. It had transitioned from its stony interior to a much more wooden and cozy one. Sweetie passed a room... getting a glimpse of the stallion that Axinite was taking for her date. It was just a moment, but for some reason, by the slight glimpse of the grey coat and dark blue eyes, Sweetie for a moment was consumed with an untraceable rage. She didn’t know why she became so distressed, but for some reason, she had great hatred and jealousy for that pony.

***

“Mmmm... ugh....” Busby moaned.

“Ugh... mmm... what the...” Paita moaned nearly in harmony with her co-guard. “The hay, BUSTER! Get off!”

“Ah... but this pillow... it's so soft and comfy.” Busby mumbled.

“What?!”

Busby rubbed his head into Paita's chest. “Nice and warm too...” It was around that point that she realized that Busby was drooling. "'sides. I feel sick, can't I just stay in today."

“Buster," Paita said sweetly. "I'm already going to hurt you, but if you throw up on me, I'm going to rip that airhead straight off your neck and stick it so far up your flank you'll see what you had for breakfast! Now GET OFF OF ME, NOW.”

Busby’s eyes widened as he jumped up onto all four of his hooves in the darkness. Paita did the same.

“Alright... now where are we?” Paita was desperately wiping the drool off of her -- but it was too late. It already seeped between the cracks into her armor and onto her fur. Unless she decided to strip, she just had to wait for it to dry.

“I don’t know... I took that picture and now we’ve awaken to find ourselves in a dark room.” Busby recapped in a spooky manner.

“Dark room huh?” Paita repeated. “That voice... that one that told you how to get out of there. You still hear it?”

“...nope.” Busby sighed. “Looks like we’re on our own for right now.”

“I swear, if I see one more puzzle...” Paita hissed. "And speaking of annoying things,"

With incredible precision, Paita punched Busby square in the snout. "That's for drooling on me."

"How?! It's pitch black!"

"You were talking," she said plainly. "It's not hard to figure out where you are."

"Remind me never to talk again."

“...speaking of seeing, how the hay are we supposed to get out of here if we can’t see anything? You know any light spells Buster?”

“No. Don’t think so.” Busby admitted. “...but I do have an idea.”

“Shoot.”

“Let me see your sword.”

There was silence for a couple moments before Paita spoke. “...excuse me?”

“Let me see your sword,” he repeated.

“Buster, I barely trusted you with my blade back at that treehouse. There’s no way in hay I’m letting you have it when I can barely see you.”

“Then just let me touch it. If I can feel it, I can visualize it.”

“So?”

“If I can visualize it, I can use telekinesis on it.” Buby explained. “Every spell produces magic. Depending on the type of spell... it can give off varying amounts of light. If I can cast the spell on your sword...”

“You can give us something to see with.” Paita finished. “Alright Buster, we can try your stupid plan.”

Stupid? You’re the one agreeing to it, stupid. Busby thought.

“...is this you?” Paita asked.

“...that’s my flank, yes.” Busby said with a snarkish tone toe to his voice, risking a grin in the darkness. “Is it just me, or do I see a little bit of-” Busby was cut off by a swift kick to his rump, knocking him down.

“Talk to me like that again Buster.” Paita warned.

Déjà Vu... something tells me I can talk to her like that as much as I want and that’s the worst that’ll happen. Busby thought, getting back up. “Let’s... try that again then.”

Paita touched Busby’s neck, notifying him of where she was. She then held out her sword to the stallion and allowed him to stroke it up and down, from the handle to the tip. Once Busby was sure he could, he visualized raising the item in the air, whilst flowing magic steadily through his horn. As the magic flowed, his horn glowed, filling the immediate area with a dim light. Paita’s eyes reflected against the light, almost making them sparkle.

“Heh... you look cute in this light.” Busby commented.

Paita raised a hoof to hit him, but after seeing Busby not even flinch at the action, she simply groaned and turned away. “Let’s just find the door out of this stupid room.”

The two walked around the pitch black room, quickly locating the supposed exit. Paita yanked on the door.

“...nothing?”

“Damn! It’s locked from the outside... if there is a lock to begin with. What’s this thing?” Paita pointed to a star symbol.

“Wait... I know what that is! It’s a battery.” Busby assumed.

“A battery? Sounds familiar…”

“Yeah… or at least this looks like the adapter to it. Doesn’t have any magic running through it.” Busby confirmed.

“So?”

“Hm… it looks like even with power, it still needs a little bit of magic.” Busby continued. “Which means… without any magic powering it, it’s pretty much dead. We’re stuck here until we can power up whatever was generating it.”

“Since when did you know about magic tech?” Paita asked.

“I read it on the back of a cereal box.” Busby explained. Paita looked at him oddly. “I-it was the magic edition of Beirdos. ‘Can you power the Swirl-o-Matic to get the little ponies their favorite cereal?’.”

Paita shook her head. “You’re basing all of this off of what you read off of a cereal box… a child’s cereal box.”

“Look, I’m 80 percent sure that it’s legit.” Busby insisted.

“Hmph… Then… I suppose you think that there’s any hope the way to start up the flow is in here?” Paita asked. Her voice shook at the thought of being trapped yet again, let alone for good this time. She’d had enough of seeing the next part of her world possibly becoming her new tomb.

“Sure hope so.” Busby sighed. “If there’s enough crap that needs power in here, chances are whatever generates it is close. C’mon, let’s look around.”

The two of them walked around using the glow of Busby’s horn and Paita’s magically held sword. They explored the safe room, passing by the dressers and mirrors with different frame designs. Eventually, they came to a wall and a large machine with a hole in it.

“What the hay is this thing? The generator?” Paita asked.

“Mmmm… don’t think so. Nothing to push or anywhere I can activate it…” Busby climbed up onto the machine to look behind it. “…but it’s got some really thick wires running into it. Going into the wall too… must mean something.”

“…could… could the thing be in the wall?” Paita asked.

Busby climbed back down and shrugged. “Maybe. Try checking them. See if you can’t find a panel, or anything out of the ordinary.”

Starting from the machine, the two began following the chilling walls around the room, looking for a way to activate the lock. They didn’t find anything. Not a panel or button in sight. Aside from the dressers and mirrors that were against it, the walls were bare.

“C’mon… we’ve got to be missing something.” Paita grumbled. “No pony would be stupid enough to have this room locked without some way to open it from the inside… besides you Buster.”

“Now’s not the time for banter on my intelligence Paita.” Busby said flatly. “Besides, we’re dealing with wall phasing ghosts remember? Who needs doors?”

Paita lowered her head, Busby realizing his negative statement immediately. He raised his hoof, “B-but you’re probably right. We’re just missing something. That machine’s too big for the generator to it to be too far… Wait… what if it’s not just the generator behind the wall.”

“What?”

“What if… what if what activates the thing is there too?” Busby considered. “Start feeling the wall. Start with this one.”

Paita nodded and began feeling along the walls to the left as Busby went to the right. After a few moments, Paita exclaimed. “Busby!”

Busby jumped at the sound of his real name. If there’s one pony I hate calling me the right name, it’s her. It never means anything good… he thought as he approached the mare.

“Here… there’s a bulge in the wall.” She explained. “Feel it.”

Busby did and was surprised to see that she was right. It was a cylinder shaped bulge sticking just about a millimeter out of the wall. There was an indentation at the center of it… it looked like a burn mark.

“Think that’s something?” Paita asked.

“Only one way to find out. Can you cut at it?”

Paita took her sword at the metal and began carefully cutting around the bulge. Whatever it was supposed to be, she didn’t want to risk the possibility of breaking it, or pushing it further into the wall, causing them to lose it forever. After approximately 5 minutes, the segment of wall was thin enough for the mare to peel it off with her teeth. It exposed a grey cylindrical device, with a hole at the center.

“Hm…” Paita said.

“What is it?”

“Hm... try sticking your horn in it." she suggested. Busby gave her a look. "Just stick it in. It looks about the same size.” Paita said. “I haven’t been there for long, but I have seen the princess keep special boxes around her room. Some of them, she uses magic to seal them… a special magic lock she’d stick her horn into and flow some in there.”

“And… you think that it’s the same thing here?”

“Well… the generator needs magic right?” Paita asked. “Surely it’d need some kind of kick start to begin the process. A shock to start the flow?”

“Mare, that thing burned through a wall. I don’t think sticking my horn in it is a good idea.”

“Please?” the night guard mare said quickly.

“…what?”

Paita closed her eyes and took a breath. She opened them, looking back at the stallion. “I said, please.” Paita said flatly.

“…you… said ‘please’… to me?” Busby was having difficulty processing the statement. “That’s a new one.”

“Look. I’m sick and tired of being in the dark, alright?” She looked away from the stallion, thinking, before rejoining his gaze. She swallowed. “… t-the faster we get out of here, the better…” Paita looked down, ashamed of her fear. “I don’t want to end up like the others.”

Busby was entranced. Was it the sincere words Paita had used? The change in tone that she’d received? That same jarring fear that she’d displayed not too long ago in that room? Or was it simply the way he looked at her? The sheer fact that for the moments that they shared eye contact, the mare who’d talked so lowly herself… was now below him? Though, he knew one thing was for sure… Paita was scared. More scared than Busby in fact, and somehow that was the scariest thing of all.

“…alright, alright.” Busby smiled. “Just stop looking at me like that.” Busby faced the cylinder hole. He took a deep breath before shoving his horn in the hole. Closing his eyes, he forced as much magic as he could through it. The bone felt like it was ready to explode, just as the wall device glowed, showing the different wires inside it and how the magic flowed through them. When Busby’s horn started to heat to the point he could feel it burning, he quickly retracted his head and took a step away from the glowing cylinder. Both Paita and Busby watched as it sunk back into the wall and disappeared. The walls of the room began to hum.

Activating ghost wall defenses. Activation complete. Activating lights. Processing… A computerized voice said. Both Paita and Busby wildly looked around for the source of the voice, but immediately forgot about it as the lights came on. The lights from above were apparently run by bulbs or something rather than candles, as it magnificently illuminating the room. The two ponies could see themselves in full now.

“Let there be light.” Busby smiled. He looked over to Paita, also looking up, smiling as well. She must have felt it too. From the very beginning, the situation seemed pretty grim. Everyone had disappeared, the Elements and their accessories were still missing, and there seemed to be no hope for anypony anymore. Somehow, the light seemed to give them hope Hm… who knows? Maybe we are gonna make it out of this alright.

“…er, c’mon Buster.” Paita said. Her voice had stabilized back to normal, though the sarcastic undertone she often spoke to him in was non-existent for the moment. “Could you open the door?”

“Oh right!” Busby walked over to the door and flowed a telekinetic spell into it, effectively opening the door with a creek. “There we go...”

“C’mon. Lets get out of here.” Paita said as she moved through the door.

Busby nodded, following the mare. He closed the door and began following her up.

***

“And that should do it!” Axinite smiled as she tightened the bottom piece of Sweetie’s new dress on. The dress mare gave Sweetie’s hair a quick comb before taking a step back. “Now that didn’t take long, now did it? Take a quick look Sweetie. We’ve got a minute.”

Sweetie obeyed the mare as she guided her to a mirror. Sweetie took a look at herself in the dress. The light blue outfit went down her backside, covering her saddlebags and her flank. Effectively, it hid a fair amount of her cutie marks, lessening her chance of getting noticed by them. She even managed to keep her saddlebags concealed under it. The dress was tied to a little necklace around her neck that connected to the dress. She touched the heart-shaped button that kept it tied to her neck. “It’s... it’s really pretty.” Sweetie commented.

“So is the pony in it.” Axinite added. “Hmph... that Little fellow doesn’t know how lucky he is...”

“You don’t like him that much, do you?”

Axinite shook her head. “It’s not that I hate the little colt. I just can’t understand how young males such as himself find it so difficult to keep clean. I can’t stand the filth.”

The two mares heard the faint voice of a stallion. Sweetie couldn’t make out the words, but Axinite nodded. “Alright! I’ll be there in a second! Sweetie, I need to go now.”

“Do you want me to follow you?”

Axinite looked at Sweetie, then at the exit to the room, then back at her again. She swallowed and frowned. “...no.”

“No?” Sweetie asked.

Axinite shook her head. “Me and my stallion prefer to show up at the gate... as a pair.” She thought for a moment. “... and if you were to come along, well... rumors might arise. After all, this isn’t the first stallion or mare I’ve dated... I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more aroused when you came with me with Xina... you understand?”

Sweetie shook her head.

“Of course you don’t... you're much too young to be even thinking about things.” Axinite smiled. “Besides, you said you could find your way there, right?”

Sweetie nodded. “I think I can find my way.”

“Excellent.” Axinite smiled. “Just as intelligent as you are beautiful... wait a minute or two before leaving after we do, alright? Don’t worry about the lights. Most of the candles are running out and should go out themselves.” Sweetie gave one last nod of confirmation as Axinite made her way to the exit. “I’ll see you at the manor then!”

Sweetie waved as the mare left the room. Sweetie decided she might as well take a look around the room while Sweetie browsed the mannequins of different purposes. There were the full-sized ones, in different positions around the room. Sweetie didn’t know, or for that matter remember, much about dressmaking, but she couldn’t help but find the positions themselves a little odd.

There was one that was normal, wearing a similar dress to the one on Axinite, but much more similar. Stitches were all over it... likely something to practice the stitches on the dress she wore out. There was a large needle stuck inside. It’s eye was heartshaped and it intrigued Sweetie. “Hm… I’m sure she wouldn’t miss it.” Sweetie said to herself. Besides, it’s not like this’ll be the first useless thing I’ve taken without permission tonight… Sweetie took out the needle and stuck in in her saddlebags. If it turns out to be important, I’ll give it back. If Axinite knows Squee as well as I think, or known enough to get ‘rumors’ spread about her, she’s got to get around…

Another was in a sitting position on the ground, looking up diagonally. Its hooves were extended as though it were pulling at something, and it’s flank angled so it was almost balancing on it. It was bare. Then there was another one, lying on the ground in an uncomfortable looking position. Sweetie compared it to a very exhausted pony, or possibly a very sad one. Finally, there was one on the ground, that wasn’t even together. It’s hoof was covered in mud and dirt. Even stranger, by the looks of the broken ends of the mannequin and the cracks on it, either somepony had violently ripped them out of the sockets, or it had fallen from a very great distance.

Sweetie’s head started to hurt as she looked at the lifeless interpretations of pony anatomy. She turned her attention to the lone mannequin heads on the shelf closest to her. There were nine total heads, only seven of them having a mane attached, each with different manestyles. What shocked Sweetie was that they were the exact same ones of the ones listed on the library sheet she’d seen… minus two anyway. The red one and the purple one were totally foreign to the mulberry maned pony. Even stranger, were the faces of the two bald ponies. If their lack of hair didn’t set them apart from the others, both of them, unlike the empty expressions of the other seven, seemed to hold emotion. The larger one, likely the face of a mare seemed to have shame on it, yet at the same time anger. The other one, a head the size of a filly, also held shame and sadness. There was a ball of yarn attached to the horn. As she went to grab it-

What did I do wrong?

Sweetie clutched her head just as the random thought exploded in it like a firework. She had to leave the room. She had to leave it now.

Unable to allow either of her hooves leave her cranium, she blindly and desperately scooted on her stomach as fast as she could out of the room. She scooted until her head came in contact with a wall, replacing her old pain with a new, much more pleasant and tolerable pain to her head and a little aching to her neck. Nonetheless, she moaned in pain.

After a few seconds, she forced herself to get over the minor trauma and get back onto her hooves. She shook her head. Knew it was too good to be true for that stupid voice to be gone forever… Sweetie dusted herself off, checking her dress to make sure it hadn’t gotten too mangles in her little freak out. Alright, I’m sure I can leave now…

Sweetie then headed for the exit and into the blackness. Most of the houses that had emitted the tiny lights that had guided Sweetie and Squee to Axinite’s home were all out. Likely because they were empty or anyone inside was asleep, or off to the mansion. The only thing that allowed Sweetie to even see her own hooves was the light coming from the massive mansion in the distance. At least, for a few seconds it was. Barely a little after Sweetie shut the door to Axinite’s home, a white firework shot up in the sky.

That firework…must mean that curfew’s started… guess I’ve got twenty minutes before- Sweetie’s line of thought was interrupted by a second flare that was shot in the sky. “What the…” Sweetie was fearful. What did the second flare mean? Did Axinite mention it? She couldn’t remember. Was it some kind of warning or reminder flare toward the curfew? Or did it indicate that her twenty minutes were up…? The thought that she was out of time sickened her. She had to confirm… she had to follow that flare. Sweetie began running through the streets as it’s light dimmed out and died in the sky.

Sweetie found herself behind a few houses, finding it harder to see, until yet another flare, barely ten seconds after the first one shot up into the sky, illuminated Sweetie’s path once more for her to proceed. The pattern seemed to continue, as Sweetie found herself in more places the mansion didn’t illuminate, another firework would. Whoever was shooting up those things… if they weren’t using magic, they must have been having problems, being exceptionally wasteful, or they were crazy for shooting so many in the air... possibly all three.

“Honey! Your device! You need to come out here now!” Sweetie heard somepony yell. It was yet another one of the masculine sounding mares.

“I’m coming, just a minute!” another mare. Feminine.

Sweetie turned the corner to find some kind of cone shaped machine, with valves imitating steam and fire sparking out of tubs all around it. Sweetie watched as another white firework spat out of the circular hole at its tip. The machine coughed violently. Circling around it nervously was a rainbow-maned mare with a tuxedo.

“Bottle, how much powder did you put into the thing?” the voice called from inside the residence the machine sat in front of.

“Only a barrel! Just like you told me!” Bottle responded.

Sweetie resolved to hide behind the corner, seeing as nopony had noticed her yet. She didn’t want to intervene quite yet, either out of fear of the fiery machine, or curiosity of the two’s conversation.

“I told you only to put a bit. The sparkler is meant for three fireworks. Not a whole Celestia-cursed show! Aha!”

Bursting from the house, a second mare with a pink coat, darker pink mane and a dress to match the pattern flung a box of some new type of powder over it. The powder entered the several metal tubs over it and let out a thick black smoke. The pink mare then proceeded to kick the cone machine over onto its side, and once again on its base. The machine then coughed up a black piece of coal and silenced.

The pink mare sighed. “Oh Bottle… that’s the last time I let you work with this thing.” She shook her head. “You could have blown us both up. That wouldn’t have been fun if no one was around to see it!”

Implying that it would be fun at all. Sweetie thought. Then she realized something. Was that mare talking to Bottle? “W…what?” Sweetie said nervously, exposing herself out from the corner.

The two mares turned to see the filly emerge from the corner she’d hid behind. The two looked at each other and then back at her. “Who... Wait... oh! I know who you are!” the pink mare exclaimed happily.

The mare’s strange enthusiasm discomforted Sweetie, making her take a step back. The fact the blue mare was eyeing her so suspiciously didn’t help. “Y-you do?”

“Of course Sweetie! We only met like... a couple hours ago! I never forget a pony’s face.”

“Well I’ve forgotten just about all of them.” Sweetie sighed. “Amnesia... or whatever it’s called.”

“Amnesia?” the pink mare asked. “Already?”

“Apparently I hit my head or something... I really don’t know.” Sweetie admitted.

The mare giggled. “You sure know how to get yourself into trouble quickly huh? Well, I don’t mind introducing myself again. I love meeting new ponies... even if it’s only a one sided pleasure!”

“O...kay?”

“My name is Romina. Romina Bonkers! And this is-”

“Bottle?” Sweetie blurted out.

Romina giggled again. “Guess not all of your memory’s gone, huh?”

Bottle shook her head. “Sweetie didn’t remember me, she heard you call my name. Didn’t you?”

Sweetie swallowed, getting the horrible feeling that she was somehow in trouble. “Y-yeah.”

Romina’s grin faded at the realization. “H... how much did you hear?”

“I-I was here when Mr. Bonkers was walking around that firework thing.” Sweetie explained. “I was going to come out, b-but I wanted to know what was going on. Mr. Bonkers...” Sweetie thought it best to press forward. Something didn’t add up to her. “I thought you were the one who did this stuff? Everyone keeps saying you do it.”

Romina leaned over toward Bottle. “Do you think she knows?”

Bottle shook her head. “Doubt it, but if she tips anyone else off...”

“What?” Sweetie asked, tilting her head to the side.

Romina stepped forward and kneeled on all fours to meet Sweetie’s eye level. “Sweetie... you need to keep this a secret, okay? Everything you just saw...”

“Huh? Why?” Sweetie asked. “I mean... I know Bottle is the one who everypony says does the fireworks but...”

Romina sighed. “There’s a reason for that.” Sweetie raised a brow. “See... mares aren’t really supposed to be working with fireworks... or any really dangerous fire for that matter.”

“Really?” Sweetie asked.

“Something about a fire... something one of the Yield kid and wife set off in some carnival.” Bottle mentioned.

“At least that’s what’s going on about the reason he passed the law.” Romina explained.

“Law?”

“See, Mr. Yield’s crazy rich... or something. It’s the only reason I can think of that he’d be able to have a say in lawmaking. Or he’s a part of some ” Romina continued. “For example, that silly curfew he passed, waaaaay before we moved here... nopony knows why he did that, but everypony guesses this law about mares and fires has something to do with the burning of some Carnival. Nearly killed some ponies I think... anyway, some law was passed, disallowing any mares or fillies to mess with fire. Only stallions when it was really important... or for shows and stuff. Like fireworks!”

“And... and you?” Sweetie asked.

Romina giggled. “Well... when we moved here about half a year ago, the law had been passed... problem was I was the explosives firework expert... and Bottle,” Romina glanced over at the disabled firework spitter, now emitting white foam from all of its openings. “er... he was more experienced in a different field.”

“Which one?” Sweetie asked. “Bottle crafting? Soda making?”

“Butter churning.” Bottle said flatly.

“Butter?”

“Butter.” Bottle repeated. “My... parents weren’t very good namers.”

A misnamed butter churner and a firework fanatic with possible sanity issues. What a pair. I’m almost afraid to find out what brought them together... even more, that my curiosity might make me ask.

“Anyway, so I could get supplies and be able to secretly work my passion while here, I had Bottle here pose as the super crazy smexy firework genius so I could keep at work!”

B-but Mr. Bonkers IS a mare! And more importantly, did she just say ‘smexy’? What is this story coming to? Sweetie thought.

“But... Sweetie, if you said anything-”

“Stabletown police would jump down our throats.” Bottle said.

“So Sweetie... that’s why it’s really important you don’t say anything.” Romina said softly. “If you do, I’ll have to move and... well, quite frankly I like it here. It’s pretty, it’s quiet, everyone gets along... and anyone around these parts doesn’t really have much entertainment since a lot of things around here got shut down. I’m an entertainer, and that’s what I intend to continue doing.”

“...alright.” Sweetie said finally. She didn’t really understand how “Mister” Bonkers could still be given the credit of creating such light shows when Romina couldn’t. The puppy dog eyes the pink mare gave Sweetie turned any of the suspicious thoughts into liquid as they dripped out of her head. She supposed no matter how contradictory, she could keep this one secret.

“Thanks!” Romina grinned. “I knew we could count on you.”

“Hm... anything we could do to seal the deal?” Bottle asked.

“Um... I don’t-”

Picture

Sweetie clutched her head at the new thought explosion. It was only one word, and faded to the point Sweetie could barely understand it, but it still hurt.

“You okay Sweetie?”

“Yeah... I’m fine...” Sweetie said. It was then something clicked in Sweetie’s head. The connection between the list and the camera. They both had that green sludge, meaning they held some context within each other, right? Was Sweetie supposed to take pictures of the ponies highlighted on the list? Hm... suppose it couldn’t hurt.

“...well, if there isn’t anything-”

“Actually, I was er... hoping I could take your picture.” Sweetie said.

“You... have a camera?” Bottle asked. “They sell those to the public nowadays?”

“Yeah! Those things are like... 100 bacrilian bits!”

Is that the real price? Better yet, is that even real a number? Sweetie thought.

“I’ve only seen photographers and journalists too good and lazy for paint and brush with that type of equipment. Just hit a button and presto, instant picture. How did a little filly like you get your hooves on one?” Bottle asekd.

“Er... I kind of just found it. S-so can I?” Sweetie responded.

“Weeeeellll, as long as you didn’t steal it or anything.”

“Of course not! I don’t steal things.” Sweetie proclaimed.

“You want a shot of both of us?”

“Er... individual shots, yeah.”

“Any particular reason?” Bottle asked.

“Uh... scrapbook?” Sweetie tried.

Bottle opened his mouth, but was cut off by Romina. “Fair enough. Me first!”

Sweetie reached under her dress and into her saddlebags to take out her camera. After reviewing it over once more, she figured out how to take a picture. She aimed it carefully at Romina as she gave her biggest grin. She hit the button.

CLICK!

A white blank slide popped out of the camera and floated to the ground.

“Huh... that’s weird.”

“Oh Sweetie, those things aren’t magic you know. Still amazing how it develops all by itself! Almost like magic.”

“Ok... now you Bottle.”

Bottle wasn’t looking at the filly, but had turned his attention to the mansion in the distance. Sweetie didn’t wait for him to turn back around to take the picture.

CLICK!

Another slide popped out and fell on top of the first one.

“Romina. We need to get going.”

“Huh?” Romina asked.

“We’re running late as it is. We need to move.”

“Oh right! Alrighty then, let’s go!” Romina said, following her husband as he ran off toward the mansion. “See you later Sweets!”

Sweetie raised a hoof to return the goodbye, but the two were gone before she could. They forgot to clean up the area.There were was an overturned barrel, a box and the useless firework spitter. Sweetie investigated the barrel to find it was somewhat filled with gunpowder that poured over onto the road.

This stuff... it’s used to work that firework thing, right? It’s... it’s like a giant firework! No wonder Mr. Yield doesn’t want anypony to mess with fire. This barrel’s a bomb and fuse waiting to happen! IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Sweetie didn’t want to leave the gunpowder so exposed, fearing explosion from the slightest spark from the uncomfortably close sparkler. She took a moment to lift the barrel onto it’s front... thankfully, it wasn’t that heavy. There was however, still a fair amount of gunpowder on the ground. Maybe she could gather up the rest...?

Sweetie went over to the box and picked it up. She looked at the label... Baking Soda.

She used this to stop that machine huh? Wonder if it can be used for other kinds of fire too...

Whether or not it could didn’t matter, considering the thing was empty. Nonetheless, she could still use it to swiftly gather up as much gunpowder as she could, lowering the chance of any real explosion sparking from the irresponsibly placed explosive substance. Sweetie sighed and looked up at the mansion.

Sure hope I haven’t wasted too much time... She thought. Without any further thinking, she stuck the box of gunpowder, her camera and newly acquired pictures into her saddlebag and hid them under her dress once again. With that, she sprinted toward the mansion.

***

Eventually, Sweetie found herself out of Upper Stabletown, and headed down a tree littered dirt path. She could see a gate in the distance as the mansion created its silhouette. From where she was, she could also tell that the doors were still open. She still had some time. Nonetheless, she kept running, noting that aside from a few mares and another filly or two she might have seenrunning around in the beautiful front lawn of shining grass and slender trees, there weren’t many ponies risking to be outside. Sweetie continued to run until she came to the ajar gate.

You’d think that a pony who was having a big party would keep the door wide open for his guests… Sweetie said. It was then she noticed her lack of movement, as though something were anchoring her to the ground. No… it wasn’t like she was being pushed down, but back away from the gate, like the negative of some kind of magnet. Sweetie shook her head. Dumb gate. It’s just a dumb gate.

With that, the little hated filly pushed forward toward the gate. As she’d suspected, nothing was throwing her backward, however her limbs became gradually more and more stiff as she progressed. Finally, she made it to the opening. Just as she put her hoof against the metal to push it forward, she received a hefty shock to her hoof.

“Ow!” she yelped as she snatched back her hoof and put the tip in her mouth. She took it out to see that it was burned. Not severely enough to break any skin, or rupture any nerved, but enough to warn the filly of its lethality. What kind of gate…? Sweetie looked up at the ponies still in the front. “HEY!” She called. Despite that she was in plain sight and within earshot, the ponies ignored her as though she didn’t even exist. Gah… where the hay is Squee? She looked back the way she came. It was pitch black to the point not even the light of the mansion could illuminate the void. It was as though the path she’d come through didn’t exist to begin with. Even worse, it could have been her nerves playing tricks on her, but she could have sworn the blackness was getting closer.

Sweetie turned back around, pacing nervously in front of the somehow electrified gate. She knew it was dangerous, but she knew she couldn’t turn back now. Sweetie thought of using her new telekinesis to push the gate open, but she didn’t want to risk shocking her horn from the magical contact. She didn’t know how electricity worked with magic anyway. She had to find a way to make something else open the gate for her.

Maybe there’s something I found… Sweetie thought as she lifted her dress to check them. After a little bit of shuffling, she found something: the rubber ball with those letters. She looked up at the gate, noting the flat metal piece on it. Bingo.

Sweetie aimed the ball carefully at the metal slab on the gate and threw it as hard as she could. It hit, causing the gate to move about two inches from its origin. The blue dressed pony smiled. A few more throws like that and she’d have the gate Sweetie-sized in no time. Sweetie looked up at the yard again, now noticing that everypony was leaving to enter the mansion. She probably had only until they were gone before her time was up.

Sweetie quickly continued to hit the gate with the rubber ball as the stubborn gate continued to open as slow as a gate could possibly open.

Throw, Hit, Push, Catch, Throw, Hit, Push, Catch

Gah, there’s got to be an easier way of doing this! Sweetie thought as she continued to play wall ball with the gate. She might have tried to use the rubber ball to push the gate open, but she might have received another shock as a result. She didn’t know how rubber balls worked with electricity.

After about 15 hits, Sweetie knew she couldn’t waste any more time. The gate had been inching, decreasing the effect of each impact of the ball every time. Sweetie doubted she could get it any larger… though she was sure it was now wide enough to fit her flank through.

Sweetie quickly, yet carefully slipped through the gate, only snagging a bit of her dress on the gate and ripping a little. The loose ribbon of blue cloth dragged as a bit of her flank, as well as one of the cutie marks tattooed to it showed. Oops. Sweetie thought. She used her telekinesis to quickly lie the ripped cloth back in place. I-I’m sure that’s fine. Ms. Axinite could probably fix it fine. Just gotta keep this dress from getting any more damage…

Sweetie ran up to the door, bolting past the straggler ponies who casually continued their way. Panting, Sweetie made it to the door as some pony stood to the side of it.

“S…sorry I’m late.” Sweetie panted. “But I’m here and-“ She looked up. The stallion… he was blue. Sweetie was completely sure she’d never seen this stallion in particular before, but the yellow eyes made him so familiar. He looked at her with a certain emptiness, an automated being without a soul to call his own.

“Invitation.” He said in a bit of a mono toned voice. It gave Sweetie a chill, though she went into her bag and gave him her newly acquired ticket.

“Here. Hope it’s worth the work it took to get it to you.” Sweetie sighed.

The butler looked over the card and nodded. “A… Master Squee Little and his Madam Belle Sweetie?”

Sweetie shrugged. “That’s the backwards version that card told me to write out, but yeah.”

The stallion took up a clipboard he kept at his side and wrote down the names.

“Now… you seem to be in the correct attire.” The stallion paused to scan the filly’s clothing. “But… is it necessary to wear that ridiculous looking hat.”

Hey… I like the hat. Sweetie thought. “Er… I’d rather. If it was okay.

The stallion sighed. “Very well. Now, your date?”

“Uh… my date?”

“Mr. Squee Little, madam.”

For Celestia’s sake, pick one. Mister, or Master… or at least say his name right.

“The stallion or colt supposedly joining you?”

“Well… um…” Sweetie wasn’t sure what to say. “He’s coming.”

The butler stallion shook his head. “You must be accompanied by your date or no entrance. Master Yield’s strict instructions.”

“Oh come on! I’ve got the thing,” Sweetie pointed to the card. “And the other thing,” Sweetie pointed to her dress. “I can’t go in just because he’s a little late?”

“Master Yield’s instructions. Every point on the invitation to a T. Considering you bringing you hat is stretching it a little.” The butler stallion said. “You’d better hope this Squee of yours shows up soon. About a minute is left before we need to close the doors…”

Where the hay is that colt! I can’t turn back now! The Clefs are counting on me, and I didn’t go through all of that to just turn back around!

Sweetie considered bolting into the foyer, in hopes of escaping the grasp of the stallion butler. Though considering the amount of attention she’d gather, she doubted she’d make it far before being kicked out again. For good, most likely.

Need a date Sweetie Belle

WHERE?! Sweetie screamed at her semi-sentient inner monologue. Then something dawned on her. This was a couple’s party. The area was swarming with potential dates... or at least ponies she could pass off as such.

Sweetie looked at the oncoming pairs of ponies. Three pairs. Two pairs of stallion and mare, and one pair of two fillies. There weren’t any colts around... but Sweetie wondered if she could work with that.

Sweetie hatched a plan as the next two pairs of ponies walked past the two. Once they were out of the way, and the two fillies, one grey with glasses and one pink with a little tiara, Sweetie went to work.

“Little! There you are!” Sweetie exclaimed smiling.

Just about a few steps down from Sweetie the two halted to look up at the strange smiling pony.

“Uh, are you talking to us?” Asked one filly.

Sweetie giggled fakely. “Of course you!” She lightly hopped down the steps to the two confused mare. Probably going to only have one shot at this... really hope this works.

“What are you-” before the pink filly had a chance to utter another word, Sweetie kissed her on the lips, shutting her up. Sweetie then promptly put her right leg around her neck to keep her silent.

“Hey! Who the-” the grey, masculine filly started, just as her eyes met Sweetie’s. She was caught in the hypnotic stare she’d learned at the pear ranch.

What do you know... it worked! Sweetie thought cheerfully. It felt odd kissing the pink tiara, but she knew her weird little feelings couldn’t get in the way now. She had to run through with her plan.

Without taking her eyes off of the frozen grey filly, Sweetie began guiding the confused one up the stairs. She looked in between the butler and the grey pony, so she could at least some part of her could face him. “Here. This is my date. Little Squee.”

The butler raised a brow. “This... is your date?” He asked suspiciously.

“Yeah! Isn’t that right little?” Hm... I’m not familiar with how I should deal with such an odd couple.”

“I’ve seen odder.” Sweetie admitted.

“Yes, but I’ve yet to cross couples of... well, fillies or mares.”

Oh, so NOW it matters?

The butler sighed. “But who am I to judge a pony’s... er... attractions. Especially ones around your age. Besides, I don’t see any rules in particular prohibiting dates of the same gender.”

“So can I go in, or what?” Sweetie felt her patience thinning every second she was under the butler’s contradictorily judgmental gaze.

The butler looked in at the party. “Yes, yes. Run along you two. The doors should be closed already. I don’t have time for technicalities.”

Says the one holding everypony up. Sweetie thought. “C’mon Squee.”

Sweetie guided the dazed mare, still attempting to piece back together what just happened. The butler gave a glance at the frozen filly. He found her lack of speech or movement odd, but didn’t have much time to question it. He closed the door on her as she seemed to disappear into the darkness.

Phew... made it. Sweetie thought. Despite her relief that she’d made it into the mansion, and the triumphant feeling of a plan gone right, she couldn’t help but feel strange. Maybe it was the fact she’d kissed that filly. Masculine or not, it didn’t feel bad, but rather strange. Maybe it was the empty feeling for giving up on Squee so easily. She was really starting to like the little colt-

What the hay...?

Sweetie let go of her scapegoat filly as her attention was drawn to the far left wall, under a painting of a white alicorn and blue alicorn. It was Squee, leaning to the wall under it, wearing a black suit. Sweetie rushed over to the colt, careful to make sure the crowds of gabbing ponies didn’t mangle her dress any more than it was.

“Squee, what the heck?” Sweetie confronted, surprising him.

“H-uh?” He snapped out of whatever daze he’d caught himself in. Upon seeing his friend, he grinned. “Oh, there you are Sweets. I was wondering where you’d ran off to.”

“I could ask you the same thing. Where the hay did you go?!” Sweetie asked.

Squee got off from the wall and looked at Sweetie. “I’ve been here. Managed to sneak past the guy at the door... been keeping a low profile until you arrived.”

“Why didn’t you wait for me?” Sweetie asked.

Squee scratched the back of his head, doing his best to avoid Sweetie’s angry stare. “Er... I guess I was thinking you’d end up doing the same thing. Sorry.”

Sweetie sighed, but was interrupted mid-sigh by a nuzzle from Squee’s snout.

“But hey, we both made it... that’s what matters, right”

Sweetie felt the pleasurable chill shoot up her spine again.

“Y-yeah.” Sweetie stuttered nervously.

“So... how did you get in here anyway? I mean, if you didn’t sneak.”

“I er... kissed a filly who was passing by.”

“Really... how was it?”

“Excuse me?”

“Er... forget it. How did that work out anyway?”

“Well I obviously made it in but... I kind of stole her date. Managed to convince the butler she was you.” Sweetie looked down in shame. “I was kind of panicking... I mean... I didn’t want to steal her chance at going but... really hope neither of them hate me too much for that.”

Squee waved her off. “It’s fine... tons of ponies miss this thing anyway. I’m sure whoever got left ‘ll get over it.” he assured. “Besides, lots of ponies who make it here have already been here 4 or 5 times before. This is our first! We should enjoy it... they can wait until next year.”

Sweetie smiled, feeling a little better about herself. “Okay... well, I’d better go look for Mr. and Mrs. Clef. They’re probably looking for me.”

“Who?” Squee asked.

“Oh, I didn’t tell you? They’re the ones who gave me the invite.” Sweetie said. “I’ll... explain while we move.”

“If you say so.” Squee said as she began to follow Sweetie.

“By the way Squee... just wondering.” Sweetie decided to ask. “Did you have to touch the gate on your way in?”

“Yeah. The thing was almost closed.”

“Did it shock you?”

“Huh? No.”

“Oh... that’s weird.” Sweetie asked.

“Why?”

“No reason.” Sweetie said. “Doesn’t matter any more anyway.” ... does it?

PreviousChapters Next