• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 5,204 Views, 175 Comments

Guardian Angel - The Mysterious N



Twilight has recently had a devastating break-up. Rainbow Dash hates seeing her friend in pain and decides to comfort her, becoming Twilight's guardian angel. Eventually she begins to realize her own feelings.

  • ...
14
 175
 5,204

My Best Friend

Guardian Angel

Chapter Seven: My Best Friend


You're My Best Friend - Queen


The week had blazed by for both Twilight and Rainbow.

Work was easy, a spring in Rainbow's step was evident. Her co-workers had picked up on that. When asked Rainbow had simply replied that she learned some things about herself and her friendships. While she was friends with the weather team, there were some things that she preferred not to share.

Rainbow continued to practice almost daily, getting back into form with her somewhat neglected acoustic guitar. The fact that Twilight had requested Rainbow Dash to bring her guitar was motivation enough. Twilight didn't know Rainbow owned an electric guitar as well. Rainbow Dash never really had the chance to tell Twi.

Twilight's week was almost as busy as Rainbows. Between the crusaders visiting the library once more, she'd had an abnormal amount of visitors. Maybe letting Spike run the library alone in her absence wasn't such a good idea. While Twilight had the utmost confidence in Spike's abilities, he was still young and prone to making mistakes. Or it could just be that the residents of Ponyville were happy to see their librarian back and in top form.

A reply from Celestia had arrived earlier that week. The princess had expressed her joy at Twilight having learned several important life lessons. While a bit harsh she knew Twilight had learned that love doesn't come without some heartbreak. She was also very happy that Twilight had such a great friend in Rainbow Dash.

Now Friday was approaching, Daring Do Night set for later that day. Twilight had been practicing her vocals, memorizing the lyrics to a song. She now knew the lyrics off by heart. She felt as ready as she could be.


Rainbow Dash walked with purpose. She'd gone to Lyra earlier this week for some quick maintenance on her guitar. The mint green unicorn had been pleased to see Rainbow and quickly got to work. A new set of strings had been installed and Rainbow had spent the last few days breaking the new strings in. Now she was headed to Twilight's place.

While not visible, Rainbow Dash was nervous. She'd gotten some stares, the guitar case on her back an unexpected addition. Her trips to Lyra's store were usually done at odd hours, either early in the morning, or late at night. While more confident in herself and her image, Rainbow just wasn't sure how to break the news to everypony.

“Hey there, I'm Rainbow Dash and I have a soft side.”

Yeah that would go over well. Shaking her head Rainbow trudged on. While most ponies knew of her musical preferences, which lay firmly in the hard rock and metal genre, they really paid no mind to the Rainbow mare. To them it was another part of being “cool”. She spent most of her growing life grooming her image, and though she had learned to embrace her softer side, it was just too hard to let all of those years go to waste. Not to mention the difficulty of such a task.

What would the Wonderbolts think? Would they accept a “softie”?

Maybe, maybe not.

Rainbow realized something. She really didn't know much about the Wonderbolts members themselves. Their flying related interests were prominent, Rainbow could recall them like the back of her hoof. But their personal interests were for the most part unknown. She'd have to look through her collection of magazines and other memorabilia sometime later...and organize it.

That was something she wasn't looking forward to. Maybe Twilight might help out.

Rainbow Dash filed the thought away, the library was only a few steps away. Steeling her nerves Rainbow stepped in. The library looked the same as usual. The same old bookshelves, same desk. Even the beanbags were almost untouched.

“Just a second. I'll be right out.” Twilight's voice called out from one of the side rooms. She'd been filing away a few papers and research notes. Not expecting Rainbow to arrive early Twilight was slightly nervous. The library wasn't closed yet. Anypony could come in at anytime, ruin her plans. She knew Rainbow was reluctant to be seen in public with her guitar. This required the utmost privacy.

Twilight loved to watch Rainbow play, of the few times that she had seen. The most prominent one was of course the time they explored Rainbow's past in the valley. The emotion that Rainbow showed then was amazing, you could almost see the dedication in each motion her hooves made over the guitar. In every note played. In her body language. And in those beautiful eyes of hers.

Stepping into the library's main room Twilight beckoned Rainbow over. “The library's still open for half an hour, if you want to grab a book, feel free to do so.”

Rainbow complied, grabbing a random book from the fantasy section. She sat down on one of the cushions, her guitar case and the precious contents soon found themselves propped up against the cushion.

The half an hour passed quickly.

Twilight finished recording today’s activities on her master list. She had to keep track of all the books, their current owners and their condition. Quickly finishing, Twilight made her way over to her Rainbow maned companion.

Rainbow Dash looked peaceful, her eyes focused as she read the book held in her hooves. Her legs were curled up, her wings laying comfortably on the cushion. The nearby fireplace cast a light over rainbow, flickering ever so slightly. Her cherry eyes twinkled with fascination and wonder at the tale before her. Yes definitely an angel.

Twilight glanced over at the title of the book. It was a Tolkien fantasy, the Lord of the Horseshoes. Quietly clearing her throat, Twilight caught Rainbow's attention. Rainbow looked over with a smile. While the book was interesting, the whole reason Rainbow was here was standing in front of her. It was quickly discarded.

“I'm glad you came over, I've got something special to show you.” Twilight explained, a record player magically floating over. Setting it down, Twilight checked it to make sure everything was fine.

“I thought about what you said. It's somewhat embarrassing, I really don't know how to say it.” she continued to fumble for the right words.

“The past week has been one of the most difficult I've ever experienced. I wouldn't have made it through by myself. Not without you. So I wanted to thank you.”

Rainbow sat with rapt attention, focused on Twilight.

With a spark of magic the record player came to life, a song echoing out. Rainbow's ears twitched, the song seemed familiar. Like she'd heard it before.

With an almost unnoticeable gulp Twilight Sparkle started to vocalize.

Oh you make me live
Whatever this world can give to me
It's you you're all I see
Oh you make me live now honey
Oh you make me live

Oh you're the best friend that I ever had
I've been with you such a long time
You're my sunshine and I want you to know
That my feelings are true
I really love you
Oh you're my best friend

The emotion in Twilight's voice was evident, she trusted Rainbow Dash with all of her heart. Rainbow was floored, tears threatening to leak from her eyes. Blinking to clear her vision, she reached over pulling her guitar out of it's case. For now she merely held it, hooves poised to play. She'd wait for the perfect moment.

Oh you make me live

Ooh I've been wandering round
But I still come back to you
In rain or shine
You've stood by me girl
I'm happy at home
You're my best friend

Rainbow had now started to play, her acoustic guitar mixing effortlessly with Twilight's soft voice. The record in the background was almost forgotten.

Oh you make me live
Whenever this world is cruel to me
I got you to help me forgive
Oh you make me live now honey
Oh you make me live

You're the first one
When things turn out bad
You know I'll never be lonely
You're my only one
And I love the things
I really love the things that you do
You're my best friend

A smile now graced Twilight's lips, Rainbow had started playing. She knew the song. The record player found itself switched off, the only sounds remaining were from Rainbow's guitar. Taking a deep breath, Twilight continued.

Oh you make me live

I'm happy at home
You're my best friend
Oh you're my best friend
Oh you make me live
You, you're my best friend

Drawing out the last verse Twilight finished softly, the guitar soon following.

Silence hung in the air, a few tears sliding down the rosewood body of the guitar.

“That was beautiful Twi, I've never had anypony do something like this for me.”

Startling Twilight, Rainbow Dash pulled her into a hug, the guitar hanging awkwardly between the two. Tears continued to drip down Rainbow's face, splashing softly onto Twilight's coat. Twilight kept holding onto the cyan mare. No words were spoken. None were needed. They stayed in this position for several minutes.

Reluctantly Rainbow pulled away, the guitar starting to become uncomfortable. She fell back onto the cushion, and took a deep breath.

“I'm really touched you consider me your best friend. I'm honored. I've spent most of my life hiding who I was, not wanting to show this side to anypony. And yet here you are so easily accepting it, I wouldn't want to share it with anypony else.”

By now Twilight was beaming, happy that her rainbow friend had trusted her. That she'd shared this important moment with Twilight.

“Another song?” This question came from Rainbow. Twilight moved the other cushion over, sliding it beside Rainbow's.

“I'd love to, but I really don't know any other songs. Until now I really hadn't focused on learning any.” she sheepishly admitted. A smile graced Rainbow's lips.

“Just follow along, I'll teach you.”

Strumming the guitar a few times, Rainbow began to play, her voice following the tune.

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

Twilight soon joined in and the two had continued to sing long into the night.

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,

Ooh, it makes me wonder...

Author's Note:

Wow. This was an amazing chapter. This has been by far my favorite one to plan and write. The bond of trust between the two characters is just so powerful. Twilight trusting Rainbow, and Rainbow doing the same. There's really nothing else kept between the two. Even if there was, they'd be there for each other.

The songs used are You're My Best Friend by Queen and The Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

Thanks for reading.
~Nuuk.