• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 5,202 Views, 175 Comments

Guardian Angel - The Mysterious N



Twilight has recently had a devastating break-up. Rainbow Dash hates seeing her friend in pain and decides to comfort her, becoming Twilight's guardian angel. Eventually she begins to realize her own feelings.

  • ...
14
 175
 5,202

Sing It Out

Guardian Angel

Chapter Four: Sing It Out


Too Much Love Will Kill You - Queen


The ground in front of Golden Oaks Library was met with a thump by an energetic pegasus. Shaking off some dust Rainbow Dash trotted up to the door, dead set on helping Twilight like any friend should have done. On the way there, Rainbow had come to a big realization.

She had been selfish.

Rainbow had wanted Twilight to be happy again, but Dash realized that she'd tried to cheer up Twilight not for Twilight's sake, but for her own. She'd wanted the old Twilight, the pony who helped her embrace reading, and later her inner self.

It was rather ironic. Rainbow Dash had learned to express herself from Twilight, and here she was ignoring her closest friend's deeper feelings.

She knew she had to make things right. She raised her hoof to knock...


Twilight continued to sit there, staring at the near blank page. She'd hoped that a change in scenery would help her focus her thoughts, but everything was still a huge tangled mess. She just didn't know what to feel. At times she wallowed in self-pity, other times she cursed the universe for all of her troubles.

Standing up, she made her way to the small stream. Looking in the water she could see her reflection. Dark patches were starting to form under her eyes, as a result of restless nights spent thinking. If she fell asleep at any point, it was not for long.

Closing her eyes, Twilight's thoughts went over a song she'd heard as a filly. At first she didn't know what the lyrics meant. Now she had some semblance of what they meant. Twilight began to sing, her mind filling in the melody.

I'm just the pieces of the mare I used to be
Too many bitter tears are raining down on me
I'm far away from home

She'd been without friends for much of her life, while Celestia was wise and Twilight trusted her more than anything, there were just some things that Twilight was uncomfortable with discussing.

And I've been facing this alone
For much too long

Even when she'd had the opportunity to complete one of her life's goals, being an advisor to an advanced magical experiment, she still found time to write back to her friends in Ponyville. After asking out Dusty Scroll, her joy was easy to express, each letter a jovial one.

As the relationship deteriorated, so did her writing. Her letters became more subdued, less about herself and more about the research.

With the final stressful weeks, she could barely find the courage to write and ask her closest friends for advice. She'd realized that not only was she hurting herself, she was hurting her friends.

Oh, I feel like no-pony ever told the truth to me
About growing up and what a struggle it would be

While Twilight had always used books as a source of information, she now realized that they didn't hold the answers to everything. Some things you had to find out for yourself.

In my tangled state of mind
I've been looking back to find
Where I went wrong

Twilight was slowly coming to a conclusion. She'd started neglecting her friends, and the feelings of Dust. She was withdrawing, and a facade replacing herself.

Too much love will kill you
If you can't make up your mind

Too much indecision. Too many what ifs!

Torn between the lover
And the love you leave behind

Her reluctance to share her feelings, both with Dust and with her friends.

You're headed for disaster
'Cos you never read the signs
Too much love will kill you - every time

Failing to realize she wasn't helping anypony by keeping silent. She wondered what things would be like had she expressed herself more.

A glittering tear slid down her cheek, distorting the water. She wanted to confess her feelings. To get them out to somepony. While she appreciated her friends attempts to cheer her up, Rainbow Dash even partially naming her new trick after Twilight, it wasn't what she wanted.

Twilight Sparkle just wanted one of her friends to listen!


Rainbow Dash was greeted by a sleepy Spike. With a curt hello, Spike invited her inside.
"Hey Rainbow. If you're looking for Twilight you just missed her."

Rainbow blinked, she hadn't expected her to leave the library. Had she upset the mare even more?
"Have you noticed anything different about Twi?" Rainbow had asked. She wanted to know if Spike had noticed anything, something to help figure out what Twilight's current mindset was.

Spike merely gave a short nod. "She's been distant, really sad. Work, reading, nothing that Twilight likes has been good. She just sits there, almost like a machine."

A grimace formed across Rainbows face. She had been really wrong. Rainbow Dash was now more determined to be there for her friend.

"Do you have any idea where she might be?" Dash hoped Spike knew, even if it was just a hint.

"She mentioned something about a change of scenery, maybe finishing a letter to the Princess."
Spike really didn't know anymore, Twilight's earlier muttering was almost inaudible.

Rainbow mused; 'A change of scenery...what could that mean?!'
Then like lightning, it struck her. She knew where Twilight went. It was the same place where Rainbow had learned about hereself.

Of course Twilight would be there.

"I know where she is, and Discord be damned if I can't be there for her!"
With that Rainbow took off and flew out the window, leaving a bewildered Spike standing in the main room.


I'm just the shadow of the mare I used to be
And it seems like there's no way out of this for me

Twilight had been distant with her friends, hiding and making excuses. She now realized how foolish that was.

I used to bring you sunshine
Now all I ever do is bring you down

She didn't want to hurt her friends. Twilight's pain was hers and she felt she should be the one to deal with it.

Ooh, how would it be if you were standing in my shoes
Can't you see that it's impossible to choose

She realized she was wrong. Her friends would gladly share her pain.

No there's no making sense of it
Every way I go I'm bound to lose
Oh yes,

But it was too late. Twilight Sparkle had already alienated her friends.

Too much love will kill you
Just as sure as none at all
It'll drain the power that's in you

Twilight had really made no effort to get one of her friends to listen. She knew Rarity or Applejack would definitely listen. Fluttershy would listen too, maybe offer some meek advice. Pinkie would listen, and offer a party and Rainbow. Actually Twilight didn't know what Rainbow Dash would do.

Make you plead and scream and crawl
And the pain will make you crazy
You're the victim of your crime
Too much love will kill you - every time

At this point Twilight was choked with emotion. Her voice wavered, her mind had Rainbow Dash powering through a powerful guitar solo. She knew it wasn't real, but she had wished that Rainbow was here.

Closing her eyes, Twilight's head drooped and she sung the final verse.

Yes, too much love will kill you
It'll make your life a lie
Yes, too much love will kill you
And you won't understand why
You'd give your life, you'd sell your soul
But here it comes again

Her voice was almost a whisper, the last words barely heard.

Too much love will kill you
In the end

Twilight had felt a hoof wrap around her shoulders, pulling her into a big hug.

Another voice had joined her. A voice belonging to a certain prismatic mare.

Rainbow Dash's voice softly echoed her own.

"In the end"

Twilight twisted her head upwards, opening her eyes. Teary violet eyes met cerise, and Twilight knew everything would be okay...

Author's Note:

This was a really important chapter for me to write. Twilight has finally realized she was only hurting herself and her friends. She'd now started on the path to recovery.

The song is Too Much Love Will Kill You by Queen. The lyrics, coupled with Freddie's powerful voice just convey so much emotion. Twilight has shown she has an amazing singing voice multiple times through the seasons, and I wanted to show that.

Thank you. Nuuk.