• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 5,203 Views, 175 Comments

Guardian Angel - The Mysterious N



Twilight has recently had a devastating break-up. Rainbow Dash hates seeing her friend in pain and decides to comfort her, becoming Twilight's guardian angel. Eventually she begins to realize her own feelings.

  • ...
14
 175
 5,203

Aftermath

Guardian Angel
Chapter Thirteen: Aftermath


The warm rays of Celestia's sun gently crept across the sleeping form of Twilight Sparkle. Waking from a blissful sleep, she sat up, soaking up the warmth. With a quiet groan she stretched, the vertebrae in her back popping in a satisfying fashion. Slipping the covers off, Twilight looked over at the nearby guest bed-or more specifically its occupant. Rainbow Dash looked peaceful, even if she was drooling on the pillow. With a faint giggle Twilight made her way out of the room, down the stairs and into the kitchen.

While she was no gourmet chefpony, she could cook the basics quite well. She still didn't know how those flakes caught fire once, but it was just a one time thing... With a shrug she pulled out a box of oats, pouring a generous amount into two bowls she'd pulled over with her magic. 'I wonder of Dashie likes oats.' she paused mid-step. 'Since when do I call her Dashie?' Her thoughts wandered back to yesterday, and the events that happened. She recalled Rainbow Dash right beside her, belting out the lyrics to a song, nearly touching with the unicorn.

I wish I had an angel
For one moment of love

Twilight blushed, realizing how close Rainbow had been-they'd even brushed against each other a few times! Dwelling on the experience, she decided that she quite liked having Dash close by. A tinge of crimson appeared on her cheeks; thankfully Rainbow wasn't around to see it. Twilight had her doubts before, but now it was clear.
She was falling for Rainbow Dash.

And this scared her. Memories of her previous relationship and the thought of losing Rainbow's friendship terrified Twilight. Thankfully a knock from the front door startled her, and she pushed those thoughts aside before they got out of control. Trotting over, she pulled open the door with a hoof. The mailmare Ditzy Doo, stood there a stack of magazines clutched in her muzzle. "Morning Twilight, your magazines came in today," she greeted, words muffled by the thick string that held the gazettes together. Twilight quickly took the magazines in a field of magic, much to the grey pegasus' relief. "All your subscriptions are in there, Sky Tracers, Discover, Scientific Equine, Mystery Cures and Equestria Daily. Oh almost forgot, that special order you placed a few weeks ago is there too." Ditzy finished, adjusting her mail cap in the process.

"Thank you very much, how is Dinky doing?" Twilight asked, content to make small talk for now.

Ditzy responded, a smile breaking out on her face from just the mention of the little unicorn, "Dinky is doing great, she's pacing herself like you recommended. Those books have helped, for both of us. Being a pegasus naturally we're a bit wary around magic, but Dinky enjoys it so much that I just want to smile every time I see some magic."

"That's great to hear, you let her know that if she ever needs help, just come see me." Twilight replied, a smile of her own present. It reminded Twilight of herself at that age, she'd shared that same burning enthusiasm for learning everything, she still did today. Realizing that Ditzy had other places to visit on her route, Twilight bade her goodbye. The mailmare responded in kind, and took off. "When you stop by Sugarcube Corner, ask Pinkie for a muffin, tell her I sent you." Twilight called out to her receding form, receiving a hasty thanks in return. Ditzy was a hard worker, and she definitely deserved a treat once in a while. Pulling the stack of magazines inside, she closed the door.

Setting the stack on a table, she cut the string with a simple spell. Pulling the string away, she wrapped it around her hoof, finishing by tying it into a knot. She set it aside and took a look through her magazines. Most of them were scientific or magic related journals, only Equestria Daily was the one not study related. Twilight had always enjoyed the monthly, it was always filled with stories and creations by normal everyday ponies. Celestia had shown it to her when she'd first found out what being the princess' student was like. She'd shown the young filly that you didn't need to be rich or high on the social ladder to be important. Ponies should love each other for their traits, not their wealth-a fact that some of Canterlot's elite sometimes seemed to forget. Twilight hadn't missed a single issue since, even with her move to Ponyville two years ago.

'Two years, so much has happened that it doesn't feel like it.' She recalled her meeting with Rainbow Dash that fateful day. The mud, the drenching and the "Rainblow Dry-" she cringed at the terrible wordplay; -and her appearance afterwards. In all honesty she'd do it again, just to hear Rainbow's uncontrollable laughter once more. That cute expression Rainbow had made, attempting to hold her laughter in, and utterly failing to do so. Twilight sighed, it was moments like those that made her glad she'd made friends. She learned what it's like to laugh, to cry and to be happy with those around you. Plus she'd saved Equestria...twice!

She was startled by a tickling sensation on her ribs. Twilight jumped up in an attempt to escape, only to end up losing her balance and falling onto her assailant. Lavender eyes met cerise, a twinkle of amusement present in those normally sharp orbs.

"Good morning Rainbow, did you sleep well?" asked Twilight, getting off of the prone pegasus. She noted with amusement at the flushed pegasus that had been under her a few seconds ago. Realizing the position she'd been in, a blush of her own broke out, but she disguised it by moving towards the kitchen. 'I seem to be blushing around her more often...'

Calling out from the kitchen, she informed Rainbow that breakfast was almost ready. Taking the milk jug out of the fridge, she trotted over to the main room, and to the table where Rainbow now sat. The bowls followed, carefully held in her magical aura. "I hope you like oats...It's the only thing I've got right now." she finished sheepishly. In preparing for the concert, she'd forgotten to buy groceries. The bowls landed with a pair of faint clinks, in front of their owners.

"Oats Twi? Of course I don't mind...it's just..do you have any honey?" Rainbow asked. She really didn't mind oats, but she liked to pour a bit of honey in to sweeten them beforehand. A jar hovered out of the kitchen, nearly empty. Twilight noted with some smugness that it paid to be organized as Rainbow plucked the jar out of the air. With a twist the lid came off, and she poured the sticky substance all over her bowl, covering the oats in a thin layer.

In the meantime, Twilight had started pouring herself some milk, but she soon found herself staring at Rainbow's face. The way her face scrunched up as she tried to coax the last drops of honey from the jar was just too cute. Twilight let out a startled yelp as she felt milk splash over her chest and forehooves. While she'd been staring at Rainbow she'd overfilled her bowl, the milk flowing over the edge. She quickly set down the carton.'Please don't notice, please don't notice, please don't notice...Celestia damn it.' She cursed inwardly as Rainbow realized what her friend had done.

A cyan hoof immediately shot to cover it's owners mouth, and tears formed in the corners of her eyes as she tried her best to control her laughter. It was just too funny; she looked over at Twilight, a look of disbelief on the unicorn's face. Milk stained her coat in several places, and ran down the unicorn's forehooves, culminating in a puddle at their base. Unable to hold it in anymore, Rainbow burst into laughter, falling onto her back. Rolling with mirth, she almost ended up tumbling into the puddle herself!

Twilight originally had a look of displeasure, but in seeing her friend laugh, she joined in. Truth be told, it had been pretty funny. The two laughed together for a few minutes more, Rainbow was the first to stop-the laughing was starting to hurt actually. Collecting herself, Rainbow remarked on Twilight's accident. "Wow, Twi...you're kinda, well you're kind of a mess right now." A pointed glare from Twilight immediately caused Rainbow to feel some remorse. 'Maybe I shouldn't have laughed so hard...I need to make it up to her.'

She didn't know what spurred her to do it but she quickly offered to clean up. "You probably should go take a shower, I'll clean up here." Twilight scrutinized Rainbow, before nodding gratefully, and trotting off towards the staircase. Rainbow's eyes subconsciously followed her form, focusing on her flanks. 'Gotta admit, she isn't too bad.' The milk still dripping down her receding form's coat didn't help Rainbow's imagination at all, and she felt her wings beginning to stiffen. Quickly she busied herself, trying to turn her focus away from Twilight and the fact that she was staring at her best friend's flanks.

Flying over to the kitchen, she grabbed a few tissues, and a rag from underneath the sink. Normally she'd open every single drawer looking for the stuff, but the labels placed everywhere did help. Wetting the rag with some water from the sink, and supplies in hoof, she fluttered back over to the spill. As she cleaned up the spill, letting the mass of tissues soak up the liquid, her mind wandered. 'Wonder what was so distracting that she had gone and spilled her milk. Probably some egghead science stuff.' She no longer used the term "egghead" as a derogatory remark, after Twilight showed her the joys of reading, it just didn't feel right. Nowadays she used it as a pet name, usually in jest.

With a satisfied huff she returned to the kitchen, throwing the soggy tissues in the nearby wastebasket. She quickly rinsed the rag, and hung it to dry on a nearby rack. Once more Rainbow made her way back to the table and finally was able to start eating. Not that she minded helping Twilight. Pouring what remained of the milk Rainbow dug into her meal.


Twilight stepped out of the shower, feeling much more refreshed. Her cheeks were still slightly pink from her accident before. 'I can't believe I did that...especially in front of her...' Drying herself off, she stepped out, but made a detour into her room. She needed to clear her mind before facing the pegasus again, lest she blurt something she didn't intend to. Something was off with Rainbow today, the pegasus never liked to clean. 'I wonder what brought that on, she probably just felt bad for me.'

Making her way downstairs, she found Rainbow sitting at the table, finishing off her breakfast. Twilight quickly sat down beside her cyan friend and with a flare of magic she picked up her spoon. "Wow, excellent work Rainbow!" She remarked, looking around at where her spill occurred.

"Uh-thanks Twi, it was nothing." The pegasus replied, attempting to hide the heat in her cheeks that popped up from Twilight's praise. Breakfast was finished quickly, and Twilight levitated the dishes over to the kitchen. She'd clean them later and just let the dishware float into the sink. Her daily list flew over, almost like a faithful pet. Twilight looked it over and made a few changes.

"So uh, got anything planned today Twi?" The pegasus asked, a bit of trepidation in her voice. 'Why was this so awkward... I'm just asking her if she's doing anything. It's not like I'm asking her on a date... wait, did I just think of asking her on a date? '

Twilight thought over her day plans, and Rainbow's question. "Well I've got to go to the market, as you've seen, my food supply is dreadfully low. You're welcome to come, if you're not too scared of some heavy lifting." She teased, silently hoping the pegasus would tag along.

Rainbow puffed out her chest in response to the unicorn's comments and Twilight immediately noticed how toned her friend was. Even under her coat, you could see the lean muscle. Not too much, as Rainbow was still a mare and had a figure to keep, but more than most mares. With a giggle to disguise the fact she'd been oogling her friend, Twilight tossed a pair of saddlebags to the pegasus. Rainbow caught them without breaking a sweat, cocky smile present on her face.
"Well then, shall we go?" she asked, slipping the bags on.

"Yes, lets." Twilight responded, opening the door.

The two wouldn't return until much later in the day...

Author's Note:

Quick update huh? My beta got around to doing this one more quickly than expected, so here you all are. Just a fluffy bit of humor, to help wrap up the arc.

The next chapter is well on it's way to being done, and should be up sometime this week.

Enjoy,
~Nuuk

PS; Spacing has been fixed. Thanks for your patience.