• Published 17th Jan 2013
  • 10,970 Views, 587 Comments

Two Weeks - NotARealPonydotcom



One day, Spike woke up in a world filled with dragons. Uh-oh.

  • ...
29
 587
 10,970

Syncing the Stories

Syncing the Stories

____________________________________________________________________

Leaving the library makes me feel better, as I suspected, but there comes with it a catch: within ten minutes of leaving the library, I get lost in the marketplace. Am I ashamed? Not really; everything is so huge here that the buildings I know from Ponyville are unrecognizable to me. I ask a drake for the time: 9:45. Not good. I promised I'd be there by now. I have to find my way out of this crowded mess. I scrape my way along stand after stand, trying not to topple any of the various goods on display with my tail. All's well, though, and I find a break in the rush of dragons where I can stretch my limbs without punching a drake in the face. I look up at the sky and see dragons flying through clouds. I'm more envious of them now than when Twilight had first gotten that owl who'd tried to replace me. They seem to have their own market up there, where they probably purchase their own special sky-foods, or whatever. I stick my tongue out at them childishly and move on.

I'm upon an apple stand before I know it. Standing behind it is a familiar face, kind of. Pale yellow scales, shimmering red-to-yellow irises, and a crimson set of spines trailing down her back. A flamingo pink bow ties two of her spines together, curving them down past a few others. Her cutie mark is a puzzle box in the shape of an apple. Only one pony I know fits that description, and that's

"Howdy, sugarcube!" She sounds just like her sister. "Care to buy some'a Sweet Apple Acres finest on this mighty fine morning?" She doesn't seem to notice that I'm trying not to be swept away by the crowd. She's just staring at me cutely with her head in her hands, elbows propped up on the stand in front of her. I'm about to refuse when she suddenly brings her head within inches of mine. She squints at me for a long while, and I'm about to ask why when she says something that makes my heart leap into my throat.

"Spike? That you?"

What? What? How could Applebloom, of all ponies (dragons?), be the only one here who makes the connection between me and the unicorn working in the library? I can tell how nervous I look because she's so close to me I can see my reflection in her eyes. I make myself look calmer than I really am, and answer back in a low, hopefully tough-sounding voice: "No. My name's Emerald."

Applebloom laughs and backs out of my face. "No it ain't. Ah can tell it's you, Spike. How'd ya do it? Bet it was somethin' outta one o'them spellbooks ya'll've got filling up yer room at the library. Ah-"

"I'm not Spike," I repeat with as good a deadpan voice as possible. "Spike's at the library sulking."

Applebloom raises an eyebrow and rolls her eyes. "Alright, Emerald. (Oh Celestia she doesn't believe me) Ah guess Ah believe ya." She leans forward again. "If'n ya'll can answer one question fer me."

"Which is?"

She jabs a claw into the bottom of my neck.

"Where's yer cutie mark?"

Oh crap oh crap oh crap. I'm prepared to give an explanation, one that I know she'll believe about as much as anything else I've said, but the universe smiles upon me and sends a deus ex machina.

"Applebloom! What'd Ah tell ya 'bout messin' with the customers?"

Both Applebloom and I jolt at the sound of the voice, Applebloom because she's been caught by her sister, and me because I can't find the body that the voice belongs to. That is, until I look behind Applebloom.

The dragin-Applejack is poking her head over a large wall of orange, which I realize when it moves is her body. Applejack gets up on her feet and looks disdainfully down at her little sister, hands on her hips. She's enormous. At least twice my size, three times Applebloom's, and I can't help but remember the equally enormous door in dragin-Twilight's library. Applejack lowers herself onto all fours, still standing taller than me, and brings her bed-sized head over to rest beside Applebloom.

"Ah'm sorry 'bout mah sister, sir." She still sounds like pony-Applejack, despite the most likely increased size of her vocal cords. "She's a bit eccentric." I say nothing, mostly because I'm staring at the orange pillar of a tail swinging back and forth behind her. Am I going to be as flustered as I am now every time I meet a dragin I used to know as a mare?

"But sis!" Applebloom whines. "It's Spike! He's a dragon now! Jus' look at him! Can't ya see it?" Applejack looks, stretching her long neck over towards me, and I feel a very unwanted blush spread over my cheeks. AJ notices it, smiles, and winks at me. What the hell was that? Before I can ask her, she retracts, and gives Applebloom a disappointed look.

"Now, listen here, young missy. Ya'll know that Spike's tried that before, and you definitely remember what happened when it didn't work." Applebloom's look of annoyance is justified: it definitely didn't work, and I can only imagine the horrors of what happened to the poor unicorn who wanted to be a drake. "Besides, if this is Spike, why's he got no cutie mark?" Applebloom's own question is turned against her, making her jaw hinge in astonishment.

"But-"

"No buts. Now, apologize, an' then ya'll can go help Big Mac with the cider barrels."

"Can't Ah run th' stand a little longer? I promise Ah won't accuse anydragon else of bein' Spike!"

Applejack shakes her massive head, and Applebloom lowers hers in defeat. She turns to me, mumbles an apology, and disappears behind her sister's torso. I am left with Applejack, who now truly turns her attention to me for the first time.

"Sorry again. She's-" I stop her with a wave of my hand.

"It's not a problem. I've seen Spike, and I know I look a lot like him. Except for, y'know...claws." I wave them in her face, and she giggles. Her whole body shakes when she laughs, and I once more feel flustered. Stop it, brain, you know who this is you're talking to. Stop.

"Well, ya'll can have an apple on th' house." Her tail flicks, and the shining fruit lands in the palm of her giant hand. She offers it to me, and I pluck it out of her hand. She could pick me up in that hand. I ignore that sad fact by munching into the apple she's given me. The flavor takes me away, and I happily forget the dragoness in front of me for a second.

"Good, huh?" Applejack asks. I nod, still chewing that first bite. "That's Sweet Apple Acres for ya. Best dragon-harvested fruit in th' country. N'fact, Ah think we're the only ones who still do it naturally."

I toss the rest of the apple in my mouth and enjoy it for another half a minute. Applejack waits patiently for me to finish, and when I do, she starts asking me about myself.

"So, if ya'll ain't Spike, who are ya?"

"Name's Emerald Spires. You must be Applejack."

"That's me. Who told ya 'bout me?"

"Twilight Sparkle." To make it more convincing, "The librarian."

"Oh, ya'll know Twilight! Well, if yer a friend'a hers, yer a friend'a mine." Her arm swings around, and for a moment I panic and try to get away from her. All she does, however, is take my hand in hers (we are comically mismatched in size) and swing my arm (and, consequentially, me) up and down. When I get a solid footing again, Applejack's leaning over her folded arms, giving me that same sly look as before.

"So, what was that whole blushin' act ya had goin' on back there?"

"Nothing!" I wish that sounded more convincing.

Her smile only grows wider. "Mm-hmm. Well, since yer gonna be holdin' up the line soon, Ah reckon ya get yer apples and get goin'." She leans in close, and I wonder silently if this is still a dream I'm having back in Ponyville after eating too much ice cream. "N'less ya got anything else to say?" She bats her eyelashes at me. Since when did I start noticing that Applejack has eyelashes? I choose to answer her question with my own, to get her off my case.

"Actually, yes there is. Can you tell me where the Carousel Boutique is?"

AJ's smile vanishes so quickly I wonder if a spell has gotten rid of her mouth for a moment. She pulls away from me and points in a vague direction.

"The boutique's over there. Jus' keep walking that way, it ain't possible ta miss it."

I thank her and resume my journey, leaving the disappointed dragin behind. I highly doubt that her directions will be helpful, but I also doubt that staying in her company any longer will be good for my health. I can't help but think back to my times helping out on the farm in Ponyville. I'd never noticed Applejack giving me any signs of affection before, so what did it now?

"Guess I'm just a stud here," I tell myself, hardly believing what I am saying.

____________________________________________________________________

Applejack's advice is genuine, it turns out, and I reach Rarity's home sooner than I thought I would. I can see her through a window, sitting at her sewing machine, stitching together what I guess is a dress for the upcoming Festival. I knock, she answers, and it's great to see her smile at me.

"Oh good, you're here!"

"Sorry I'm late, Ms. Rarity." What?

"Oh, please, don't call me 'Ms.,' I sound old! I'm just Rarity to you. You aren't late, either. You're actually right on time."

I spot the clock sitting on the drawers in the room behind her. It's exactly 10. What do you know? She welcomes me in, and I take a tour of a house I already know. Unlike many of the things I'd seen in this new world, Rarity's boutique is still very much the same: organized chaos. The only difference is the size of the room; I see another large violet crystal hanging from the ceiling. Her room's been up-sized by Twilight, then. Rarity also has a bigger door for AJ-sized dragons. Everything else, though, is like coming home. Or, coming over to Rarity's to work with her. When the tour is finished, we begin our work together, and time starts flying past.

There are times when my prior knowledge of the boutique almost gets me in trouble: Rarity asks me to get a pair of shears for her, and I hand them to her before she can finish telling me where they are.

"Emerald, how did you-"

"Uh, I saw you using them earlier."

"...I haven't used them today."

The crisis passes when I bring up that we can't waste time when the outfits need to be made. She agrees, and it's back to work. Other times, I learn about the differences between this world and the one I'm from: halfway through a dress that's half-fabric, half-gemstones, I discover a drawer filled with what appear to be iron plates.

"Oh, those." Rarity seems very casual when I ask her about the chunks of metal in her studio. "Those are for when I am commissioned to create armor for military figures. You know, decorative armor, for military balls and the like."

"Oh." I have no idea what she means, but ask for her to tell me about her military commissions anyway. I learn through this that the Serpentian Royal Guard is much stronger than the Equestrian Royal Guard: during the Changeling invasion, the Elements were not needed at all, and the Changelings were held back by the Guard, not Twilight and the others, long enough for Cadence and Shining Armor to work their magic. This leads to a question I'd been wanting to ask for a while: What's the story behind the Elements of Harmony?

Fortunately, by the time this question comes up, it's past noon, and Rarity decides to tell me the story over lunch. I offer to make it for her, but Rarity insists that it would be too much if I did that for her.

"Nonsense. You can finish that gown while I cook something up." It takes some coercing, but she finally agrees.

"Don't forget to make enough for three. My sister will be joining us for lunch as well."

So I make lunch, and I think about my situation as I do so. Unless I'm having some sort of horrific fever dream, I'm in another world where everypony is a dragon, except me. No matter how many times I say this to myself, I still can't get over it. I'm normal here. Your regular old neighborhood fire-breather. Just another drake walking (not trotting!) down the street on his way to the bakery, or to Sofas and Quills, or to the library. I don't have to go hunting for gems anymore, or go trekking halfway across Equestria just to see another of my kind. I can walk around town without being stared at, like I'm some kind of monster...but I can't stay here, no matter how much I want to. There's a family waiting for me, back in Ponyville. I wonder what pony-Twilight is doing right now. She's probably already crazier than when she was worried about not sending a friendship report for more than a week. Poor Princess Celestia, she must be swamped in messages from her...

And just like that, I'm homesick. My stomach clenches and unclenches as I stir the melting cheeses together in their pot (I'm making fondue). I'll only stay here as long as I have to, however long I need to find a spell or potion or charm that can bring me back home. Which means that I should stop being such a jerk to poor Spike, and help the guy get the girl, because I sure as Tartarus can't. Not if I'll be gone in a few days. Maybe I should have let him come here instead of me, because the longer I'm with her, the closer I am to succumbing to old habits and trying to get her. So, no more romantic advances. In fact, you should stop working with her, maybe even now.

I finish making lunch and walk back into the main room of the boutique. Rarity's going over a long list of what I can only assume are orders for the Festival. She looks up at me and gives me a smile.

I can't leave her. I really can't. I tell her lunch is ready, and that it's a surprise.

"Sweetie Belle!" Rarity calls up the staircase next to the kitchen entrance. There's the sound of something thumping around, a faint "Coming, sis!", a door slamming, and Sweetie Belle the dragin comes hopping down the steps. She's almost identical to her sister, save for her much curlier spines and the music note inside a gem printed onto her collar. She spots me and giggles cutely, smiling bashfully.

"Ooh, Rarity, I didn't know you had a date over!"

Surprisingly, it's Rarity's face that turns beet red, not mine. Before she can say anything, though, I butt in:

"I'm Spike's replacement for the day. He's a little under the weather, so I'll be helping Ms. Rarity with her work." I hold out a hand to shake with. "The name's Emerald Spires. Nice to meet you." Smooth as buck.

Rarity's blush fades a little, and she quietly reminds me not to call her "Ms." Sweetie Belle gives me the same look that Applejack did, which worries me to no end, and glances between the two of us. She sighs like we're not getting something painfully obvious.

"Whatever." She heads to the door, but Rarity calls her back.

"Not so fast, young lady! Where do you think you're going?"

Sweetie stops at the door. "The CMC have got a gig for the Summer Sun Celebration, and I just finished the lyrics for our first song! We need to practice!" With that, she wrenches the door open and goes stomping out, leaving the two of us to enjoy dinner...alone. I feel for the first time both anger and happiness as the sound of stomping feet fades from behind the boutique door.

Well played, Sweetie Belle. I turn to Rarity, who's blush has faded completely now, and cough. She jumps like she's forgotten I'm here, and turns to me.

"I must apologize for my sister. She's still a teenager, and-"

A sense of deja vu washes over me as I wave her apology off. "Nah, forget about it. Believe it or not, that's the second time that's happened to me today."

"Really?"

"Mm-hmm. Come on, let's eat." We head into the kitchen, where I've set up several bowls of gems and a large pot of fondue. I pray that she's okay with it, and can't help but let out a sigh when her eyes light up (don't impress her, dammit!).

"Ooh! I didn't know you could make fondue!"

"That makes sense. You've only known me for, what, 18 hours?" We both laugh and sit down to eat.

"So," I say as I offer her a pair of tongs, "you were going to tell me a story about the Elements of Harmony. What has Twilight got to do with them?" Normal, non-romantic chats about some mystical artifacts. Regular dragon stuff.

Rarity picks out a ruby and nibbles at it before beginning:

"Well, the Elements of Harmony, as you know, we're used to imprison Night Fury when she tried to bring about an endless night, I'm sure you know that story. Do you remember the night a decade or so ago when the sun didn't come up?"

I nod. There was a night like that for me, though it certainly wasn't because of any Night Fury.

"Well, that happened because Night Fury escaped her imprisonment on the moon. Princess Celestia was captured, and everydragon thought that the night would truly last forever. That's where Twilight Sparkle, and, incidentally, moi, come in.

"You see, when Night Fury returned, it had been so long since she was imprisoned that nodragon remembered her. Nodragon except Twilight. She knew who Night Fury was, what she was here to do, and, most importantly, how to stop her. The Elements of Harmony were needed to defeat her. So, she set out to find them in the Everfree Forest, where they were said to be kept in the Castle of the Royal Dragon Sisters. Before she could go, however, five other dragins insisted they help her."

"I take it you were one of them."

"Yes, I was. There was me, Pinkie Pie, whom you've met, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and-"

"Applejack?"

Rarity gives me a funny look. "How did you know that?"

I pop a fondue-covered emerald into my mouth. "Educated guess. Met her coming over here, and she said she was good friends with Twilight. I think," and here I more voice my thoughts than chat, "I think she likes me."

The ivory dragin across from me rolls her eyes. "No comment on that, though I don't see how it would work, what with her...girth."

I laugh. "Sounds like you two aren't as good friends as you and Twilight are."

"I'll admit that Twilight is the reason we are companions in the first place, though Applejack does occasionally accompany me to the spa. But we're getting off track."

"Right. Back to the Elements.:

"Yes. So the six of us, Twilight, Rainbow, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Applejack, and myself charged into the Everfree Forest to retrieve the Elements, without any thought of what could happen to us on the way. Oh, and what challenges we faced! There were chasms and creeks and sea serpents and so, so, so, so much dirt! I still have nightmares!" She's combing her fingers through the thin spines on the top of her head, looking down at her plate. "So much dirt."

"Uh, dirt?"

"It's a serious problem!" she snaps at me, making me scoot back a bit in my chair. She sees she's getting off topic, and clears her throat before continuing:

"We faced many challenges along the way to the castle, all of which, we later learned, were placed in front of us by Night Fury herself. Each of them took a different one of us to solve: when Night Fury shook the earth and sent Twilight hurtling over a cliff, it was Applejack's Honesty that led Twilight to trust her enough to let go of the edge and fall into her tail; when Night Fury tried to separate the six of us by bribing Rainbow Dash with fame and fortune, Rainbow proved her Loyalty by refusing and making a bridge for us to cross; when-"

"Wait, wait. She made a bridge?"

"Out of her own body, yes."

That was different. That was way different. "And how far across was this gap you needed to cross?"

"Only about a hundred feet. Why?"

Rainbow is bigger than Applejack. I wonder if she could still camouflage in the sky at that size. I start to imagine the spectrum of colors running down her back, and apparently I blush again, because Rarity gives me an accusing look that makes me ask what's wrong.

"What is it you find so attractive in dragins so much larger than you?"

What?!? No, no way. Nuh-uh. I would never, in all my life, be into that kind of thing. That's what I try to say. Instead, I choke on a fragment of quartz and start spluttering. Rarity bursts into a fit of giggles that last long after I've gulped down a glass of water and returned to my seat.

"Yeah, ha-ha, it's hilarious. Just finish the story." Jeez.

"Mm. Alright, then, where was I? Oh yes, our trials. Applejack was Honest and saved Twilight, Rainbow Dash proved her Loyalty and made a bridge for us-"

"Stop looking at me like that."

"Only joking, darling. Anyway, Fluttershy proved her worth when she showed Kindness to a beastly thing that the rest of us would have killed."

"What was it?"

"Some ghastly, corrupted version of an Ursa Major."

"Holy cow!" Except I didn't say cow.

"Language, Mr. Spires, or I shall have to postpone my storytelling. Now, Pinkie Pie helped us all get over our fears of the dark, simply by laughing at every last thing she saw. Her Laughter was truly magical that night, though I don't think it's been as magical any other time. I mean, constantly giggling or hooting or barking or breathing fire on my perfectly spotless sun dress or-"

"Ahem. The story."

"Oh, right. My apologies. After Pinkie erased our fears of the forest, we came across a river where a poor sea serpent had just lost his dearest possession."

"His moustache?"

Another weird look. I'm too clairvoyant for her. She gives me a smile, though, and the crisis passes unattended to.

"Yes, actually. How did you know that?"

"A drake's true pride, if not his hoard, is his facial hair." I am making this stuff up as I go to impress her. Stop it, Spike.

"Well, it certainly was his pride, and for good reason, too. He looked simply hideous with half a moustache! So, I did what any reasonable creature would do..." She lifts her tail up on the table and gestures for me to give it a closer look. She points to a few of the lower spines on it. Upon closer inspection (I can smell her perfume), I notice that the scales around them are uneven and bent.

"...I tore out my spines and fashioned another moustache for him."

"Didn't that hurt?"

"Oh, I ensured that it wouldn't. I'm very good with numbing spells, and the spines were replaced, but I'll get to that. So, I gave my spines up, and my Generosity earned us passage across the river."

"You're amazing." I blurt this out because it's true, not just because I've always thought so. I would never have been able to tear my own spines out, numbing spell or not. I look up at her. She's blushing heavily. I probably am too. Rarity moves her tail back under the table and chews on a sapphire.

"It was nothing, really. I just knew I had to do it, for that poor sea serpent. Anyway, we all passed our trials, and we came upon the Castle of the Royal Dragon Sisters. There, we found the Elements, but they were merely stones, which, before we realized it was a trap, were crushed by Night Fury."

"Uh, quick question: how large is Night Fury?"

"As large as Celestia."

"Uh..."

"Very, very, very large."

"Oh." Don't bucking blush, Spike, or I swear, I'll-

"You're blushing again, Emerald."

Dammit. "On with the story, then!"

"Right. Well, I'm not sure exactly what happened next, but Twilight was taken by Night Fury to an enormous chamber deep in the ruins of the Castle. When we found her, she'd already figured out the truth: the Elements of Harmony cannot be destroyed so long as they exist in the dragons of Serpentia.

"She started to explain how each of us were representations of the Elements. Pinkie was Laughter, Fluttershy Kindness, Rainbow Dash Loyalty, Applejack Honesty-"

"And you were Generosity."

She smiles at me again. "Yes. Glad you've been listening."

"How could I not?"

Is that a blush on her cheeks? What are you doing, Spike? "Anyhow, we all had proven ourselves worthy of the Elements, and when we were all recognized by the Elements themselves, they appeared as necklaces around our necks. Then, Twilight went even further, bringing into existence the sixth Element: Magic.

"With all of the Element's powers combined, we defeated Night Fury, and brought back Celestia. The Dragin de la Lune was gone, hopefully forever, and-"

"And Princess Luna came back, right?"

"Right. Since then, we've been the Elements of Harmony, and we've been called upon whenever needed to help preserve the peace of Serpentia." She signals the conclusion of her tale with the dip of another ruby in her fondue pot, and shes pops it into her mouth while I mull over the story. Things seem relatively the same as in my world, though each of the different trials the girls accomplished were edited to a more suitable situation for a dragon. Rainbow Dash was apparently the size of what I'd considered for so long a full-grown dragon, and I only assumed that Fluttershy was too, to have been able to calm an Ursa Major. So pegusi-dragons were the largest of the three kinds, then earth-dragons, then unicorn-dragons. A feeling of dread washes over me as I realize that I really am clueless as to how dragonkind works.

"Emerald? Are you alright?"

She's worried about me (stop)! "Uh, yeah. I was just thinking how"--thinkthinkthinkthinkthinkthinkthink!--"cool it is to know national heroes!"

She giggles cutely (stop). "I wouldn't call us that!"

"But that's what you are, right? I mean, the Elements defeated and reformed Discord, they've saved an entire empire from a demonic king, all of that and more, right?"

Her face is red like strawberries. "Well, yes, but-"

"No buts! You are a hero, no ifs, ands, or buts! Say it!"

She can't even look me in the eye now. Her cheeks have turned beet red once more. "Emerald, please, you're embarrassing me..."

"In front of who? Just say it, to me!"

She fiddles with the tongs for a while, and I don't think she's going to say it. Then she looks up at me, blush fading, and murmurs softly:

"We're heroes..."

I grin and stand up (STOP). "That's it!" She's shocked by how I'm acting, and honestly, so am I (WHAT ARE YOU DOING). I've never felt this giddy before, not even with unicorn-Rarity. I go on, unhindered: "Now, let's go make some outfits!"

Silence. My giddiness fades (YOU IDIOT), and the sane me grabs hold of the controls again (finally). I look down at Rarity, who is staring up at me with the most amazed expression I've ever seen her wear, unicorn or anything. Once again, I'm wishing that I'm still asleep in the library after an ice cream binge. But I'm not, and Rarity is still staring. Then she stands up too, and puts a claw on my shoulder. Now my face is beet red (you bucking deserve it).

"Emerald, that's exactly what we shall do."

____________________________________________________________________

The rest of the day flashes by in a flurry of motion and fabric and sewing. By the time we are finished with the day's order's, it's 6:30. Rarity sees this and gasps.

"Oh dear! I didn't mean to keep you here all day!"

"It's alright. I like being here with you." Oh no, Spike, what are you doing? Stop it, man! "Er, I mean, since I have nothing else to do in town..." Since when did you forget how to speak correctly, huh? Is this revenge for that crazy moment during lunch? "I guess working here's fine. With you, I mean." How is she not laughing at me yet?

"Well, I still didn't mean to spend so much time on these." She brings her purse over with her magic and pulls out a pouch filled with gems. "Here. Your payment for the day." She raises an eyebrow when I set the pouch down on her coffee table.

"I don't need payment. I'm fine. I'll-"

"If you don't take it, then you can't come back tomorrow."

I snatch up the pouch (but you DON'T want to come back tomorrow!), and she laughs again. "Ten o'clock again, right?" I'm her servant, forever and always.

She nods. "I'll see you then, Emerald." Then she steps over to me and pulls me into a hug. It's more payment than any sack of gems could ever be worth. "Don't forget," she whispers as we separate. Then there's a moment where we're just standing there, right in front of each other. She's so close to me, I would only have to move my head forward, and we'd be kissing. Somewhere, a drumroll is being played off. How long have I been staring at her? Is somepony leaning in? Is it me? Why is she blushing?

(NOOOO!!!)

The drumroll stops.

"So long," I gasp (I have not breathed since she hugged me), and I spin around and practically fly out the door. Outside, the world is tinted orange by the setting sun. I get away from the Carousel Boutique as fast as I can, and I don't slow down until I reach a bench near the park, where hatchlings are playing and parents are watching with great caution. I think about the day I've had, this first day in Dragonsville. It was well spent, no doubt, but why am I so flustered around Rarity?

What kind of question is that, Spike? You're in love with her. Oh yeah. I forgot, kinda. I look left and right, at buildings that are familiar and unfamiliar at the same time, and I wonder how many differences there are from Ponyville here. I should figure out where places are, so I can find something to do when I'm not with Rarity. Or maybe I'll find things to do with Rarity, just in case she says yes. Because tomorrow, I am going to ask her on a date.

I stand up and start the journey back to the library, doing my best to ignore the voice in my head screaming at me in rage.

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

My real life has finally stopped raging at me, and I can know post chapters at a regular, healthy pace. Barring any other incidents, expect another one next Tuesday (or earlier, since I made you wait for a while last time).

Yes, I'm afraid that Spike (dragon) can be a bit of a douche to himself. I'd chalk it up to a combination of draconic instinct telling him to protect what's his and the thought of Rarity "belonging" to him, but that would go against the true reason behind his hateful attitude towards Spike (unicorn). More on him (U-Spike) later, though: next chapter includes a dramatic change in perspective, an overly psychogenic conversation at a party, an awkward talk being eavesdropped on, and a very rude bunny.

Changing the story behind these characters is fun! I'll have to do it more later! See you then!

-NotARealPonydotcom