• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 1,426 Views, 8 Comments

A Venomous Queen & A Poisoned Princess - Flikaline



Princess Cadence has been poisoned, will Twilight Sparkle and her friends manage to find a cure in time?

  • ...
1
 8
 1,426

Day 4

Day 4

A deadly silence had fallen over the room. Everypony just stared. No-pony moved. Shining Armor was the first to move. He stood next to Zecora and gave Cadence a light shake. She didn’t stir.

‘No . . . No . . .’ Shining Armor murmured under his breath, his eyes filling with tears. Twilight Sparkle and Zig-Zag slowly approached the bed. Queen Chrysalis grinned wickedly.

‘This is all my fault!’ exclaimed Zecora, putting her head in her hooves and joining Shining Armor, Twilight Sparkle and Zig-Zag who were already crying.

‘She’s dead!’ cried the elated changeling queen, ‘She’s history!’

‘You’re going to pay for this!’ snarled Luna, glaring through angry tears.

‘Your niece is dead, Luna!’ Queen Chrysalis cackled.

Princess Celestia appeared just as Queen Chrysalis was flying out through the paneless window, pursued by Princess Luna, who only just got out before Queen Chrysalis replaced the pane of glass. Celestia, who had just returned from raising the sun, looked around the room, momentarily confused, then, she let out a horrified gasp, and hurried over to her niece’s bed.

‘If only we’d been a few seconds faster!’ exclaimed Twilight Sparkle bitterly while trying to balance her brother, who was crying uncontrollably, on her shoulder. When the door opened to reveal Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack and two pegasus ponies from the Royal Guard, no-pony turned round. Twilight Sparkle’s friends slowly walked over, slowly taking in what had happened, and joined the mourning.

‘She didn’t deserve this,’ Celestia was saying through her tears, ‘she was the last pony to deserve this. She was always so . . .’

‘Kind and caring,’ Twilight Sparkle said, ‘always thought of others before herself.’

‘She was perfect!’ Shining Armor managed to let out through his sobs.

‘And to die so young,’ Celestia said, ‘and in so much pain . . .’

‘But . . .’ said Zig-Zag slowly, ‘she can’t be dead! She just can’t be! It wouldn’t be right!’

‘Zig-Zag,’ Zecora said softly, ‘sometimes, justice just doesn’t prevail . . .’

‘I guess,’ Celestia trembled, ‘we’ll n-need to a-a-arrange h-her f-f-f-funeral . . .’ She was unable to say any more. No-pony was. They just cried and cried. So did the guards at the door. In the same way it had once seemed Cadence’s love and kindness and caring had filled the castle, sadness filled it now, as if the castle itself was crying.

‘Whatever is the matter here?’ came a very concerned voice, ‘is there anything I can do to help?’ Everypony looked up, they had stopped crying for a moment, but now, started again; this time though, not from sadness but from joyous relief. It was Cadence who had spoken. She was sitting up. She was okay. She was perfectly alive!

Cadence found herself being hugged and kissed by everypony in the room at once. The two guards outside the room beat their hooves on the ground in applause before hurrying off to tell the rest of the castle, and the rest of Canterlot, the good news.

Zecora laughed, realizing that, in the chaos, she had forgotten something in the cure’s instructions. It had said that the afflicted would become temporarily frozen, as if dead, while the cure was taking effect.

‘Shining Armor, it’s okay,’ Cadence was saying, ‘I’m fine.’

‘I thought I’d lost you, Cadence,’ Shining Armor replied slightly hoarsely.

‘Just like I thought I’d lost you when I was down in those caves . . .’

‘I think we should leave them alone for a few minutes,’ Celestia said quietly.

As they walked out the room, Zig-Zag gave a small smirk.

‘What is it, Zig-Zag?’ Twilight Sparkle asked her.

‘Well,’ Zig-Zag giggled, ‘that changeling queen, she’s not going to be very happy is she!’

*

Luna had been chasing the changeling queen all around the outside of the castle while having tormenting comments about Cadence being thrown at her. This wasn’t only extreme torture for Luna but she harbored a secret concern that if she got too angry she might revert back into Nightmare Moon as a method of self-defense.

‘Your niece is nothing but a corpse now, Luna!’ Queen Chrysalis sniggered. Luna was about to make a retort when she heard a large amount of cheering from below. She looked down and gave a knowing smile.

‘I wouldn’t be so sure about that if I were you!’ Luna told her.

‘What are you talking about?’ the changeling queen spluttered. She looked down to see a certain pale pink horned pegasus walking among the cheering ponies. Queen Chrysalis was enraged. While she was glaring furiously at the scene below, Luna aimed a spell at her which only narrowly missed. Chrysalis turned and glared at her.

‘Looks like you have at least one hole in your brain like in your Emmental legs!’ Luna giggled.

‘My legs do not look like cheese!’ the queen retorted.

‘Should have thought twice before making fun of my niece!’ Luna replied. Queen Chrysalis was about to respond when three spells were shot at her from below. She had evidently been noticed.

Soon, spells were being aimed at her from many directions, she turned and fled, pursued by Luna, who was also aiming spells at her. Most of the ponies below who weren’t casting spells were laughing at Queen Chrysalis’s attempts to dodge them. Zig-Zag started doing impersonations.

‘Maybe your special talent is doing amusing impressions!’ said Pinkie Pie to Zig-Zag before joining in. Meanwhile, Zecora was apologizing to Cadence.

‘I’m truly sorry, your highness,’ Zecora was saying, ‘I guess Zig-Zag was a bit of a weakness . . .’

‘Cadence is fine, but you mustn’t blame yourself, Zecora,’ Cadence replied, ‘that changeling queen is the one to blame, no-pony should be put in such a position, and I am deeply grateful to you for saving me.’

‘Twilight and her friends deserve more thanks for that, I was of little help and that’s a fact.’

‘That’s not true!’ Zig-Zag interrupted, ‘you did loads Aunt Zecora! I’m going to make sure you’re back to your old rhyming self in no time!’ Zecora sighed but gave a small smile. Zig-Zag turned to Cadence, ‘how are you, Princess?’ she asked.

‘Very well, and fully recovered thanks to your aunt,’ Cadence replied, ‘thank you for asking, Zig-Zag.’ Shining Armor came up to them, evidently only recently having stopped crying, and put his arm round Cadence.

‘It’s Zecora, isn’t it?’ he asked. Zecora nodded. ‘Would you be able to mix up a few batches of that poison cure for us? We would like a small supply in case of emergencies.’ Once Zecora had nodded again, Shining Armor turned to his wife. ‘All your food and drink is going to be tested for a while.’ Cadence nodded.

‘I could test it for her!’ Zig-Zag offered.

‘No you can’t!’ said Zecora, ‘I’m not risking losing you again! Besides, I thought you wanted to join the Royal Guard when you were older.’

‘I was only offering,’ Zig-Zag mumbled.

Princess Celestia and Twilight Sparkle stood together, looking up at the sky, and watching as Princess Luna and Queen Chrysalis faded into the distance. The two ponies smiled at each other.

‘With any luck,’ Princess Celestia said, ‘Luna will find where the changelings live this time.’ Twilight Sparkle nodded. ‘Then we can get rid of the changeling threat once and for all.’

Author's Note:

I am aware that it slightly disintegrates into farce to towards the end.

Comments ( 6 )

The potential is strong in this one.

Although, in my opinion, the chapters are too short. :ajsmug:

on my to read list

1915867

agreed, I figured I had seen the shortest average chapter. I was wrong.

may i add this to my group Villains of Equestria

1936166 thanks feel free to join if you want to

The writing stylle was a bit cheesy, but I liked it. Well done.:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment