• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 10,568 Views, 386 Comments

The Heartbreaker and the Cultivator - XSomeGuyX



A small lapse of judgment on Rarity's part sets in motion a series of events leading to realization, admission and development of the feelings of three mares for Spike. How will this affect their friendship? Who will win his love? Read and find

  • ...
22
 386
 10,568

Grudge or Love?

Grudge or Love?

“Twilight, oh Twilight!” a certain white unicorn knocked at the tree-house library.

The ever studious unicorn was, as usual, using her spare time to re-read her favorite books and create her list of responsibilities. After memorizing the page she had left off on, Twilight closed the book and greeted Rarity who had been looking very worried.

“Rarity, you don’t look so good,” Twilight commented as she saw Rarity racing up to her bedroom then off into the rest of the house. “Can I… help you with something?”

“Is Spike home?” the dress maker asked.

“No… He’s off with Applejack at Sweet Apple Acres,” Twilight answered.

“Oh, Twilight, I did terrible thing to him. All for that snooty little photographer, Photo Finish. She ran off with another pony to make her into a star,” Rarity explained.


“NO!!! My camera, how could this happen?” the famous photographer cried out for her broken camera.

“I just don’t know what went wrong!” the renown (or perhaps infamous) derped, gray Pegasus said as she sat on a destroyed stage while the final light standing fell.


“What exactly did you do?” Twilight asked as her friend paced.

“I ignored him, called him stranger,” the white unicorn said.

“Well… I could imagine why he took it so bad then…” the purple unicorn said quietly to herself.

“He came back? How… was he?” Rarity asked.

“He didn’t even want to answer me. He just took some gems up to his bed and stayed up there until I brought Pinkie and Applejack to cheer him up,” Twilight answered.

“Gems? Where did he get gems?” the designer asked.

“He got up early today to finish his chores and head out to dig them up for you…” Twilight said, knowing that it only made her friend feel worse.

“I must apologize to him, Twilight…” Rarity said as she began racing out the door.

“I think it’s better to let him cool down a bit. You can come back tomorrow,” Twilight said, leading her friend out. “I’m sure Spike will forgive you, he’s not one to hold a grudge.”

“I do hope so, Twilight,” the white unicorn said as she exited out the library.


Though he had not intended on helping out at the farm, Spike could not sit around while one of his friends was hard at work. He found himself running about, fetching baskets for apples and pushing carts full of them. He never took the time to actually take in the scenery at Sweet Apple Acres before then, and it was breathtaking, completely taking his mind off of his problems.

The only thing more impressive to the young dragon was the hard working, country pony. She had been bucking apples since they had gotten there and she was still going strong, even while Big Mac had taken a break. Spike had brought her some well-earned water after all the non-stop work she had done.

“Thank you kindly, Spike,” Applejack said as she drank. “How are ya likin’ the farm, Spike?”

“It’s…” Spike said as he looked around him, then unwittingly stopped to stare at Applejack as she glistened in sweat.

“Spike?” the work pony called to him, snapping him back to reality.

“Beautiful…” Spike said as his cheeks turned a deep shade of red.

“You know you’re always welcome here, Spike. Anytime you want, come and visit,” Applejack said as she rubbed his head.

“It’s getting late, I should probably be going. But before I go: thanks, Applejack,” the dragon assistant said.

“I should be thankin’ you. With your help, we’ve done almost all the work around here,” Applejack returned the sentiment.

“Almost?” Spike asked.

“Don’t go worrin’ about it, Spike. It’s nothin’ I can’t handle by myself,” the blond farmer said.

“I could stick around to help. I don’t think Twilight would mind,” Spike said.

“Well, if you’re feelin’ up it. We just got to get these last few wagons of apples to barn,” Applejack told the dragon.

“Alright,” the purple dragon said as he struggled to push two of the carts that were linked together.

“Uh… here, Spike, you can take this one. I’ll take these,” Applejack said as she motioned towards a lone wagon of apples.


By the time Spike returned to his tree-house home, it had become dark and Twilight had already began her midnight shift with her pet owl. Twilight, of course, had not minded the quiet. She was still able to get much done, even without Spike, although she did miss having her assistant to keep her company as well as his help.

“Hoo-hoo!” Owlowiscious hooted, pointing his wing towards the library’s entrance.

“Spike!” Twilight greeted the purple dragon. “You’re home late. You have fun over at Sweet Apple Acres with Applejack?”

“Um… Umm…” Spike said blushing at the work pony’s name. “Of course, it… was fun.”

“Spike, are you ok?” the unicorn asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Pff… yeah,” Spike assured his friend. “By the way, I promised Applejack I’d help her tomorrow. If… you don’t mind?”

“Of course not, Spike!” Twilight replied.

“I’ll be back in time to help out here,” Spike said, hugging the unicorn's neck. “Also, thanks, Twilight.”

“Anything for my friend and number one assistant,” the unicorn said, gladly returning his hug. “Oh, I didn’t know what you wanted to do with your gems so I took the liberty to organize them by color and shape.”

“I think I still want to give them to Rarity,” Spike said. Though he thought he would still be angry or upset from repeating her name, he felt nothing of the like but the incident with her and Photo Finish was still burned into his head. It was not something he could forgive so easily.

“She missed you, actually,” the unicorn said, levitating a list where she kept all her visitors names and arrival and departure times. “She came at 3:47 P.M. to apologize to you but since you weren’t home, I told her to come back tomorrow.”

“She came to apologize?” the young dragon asked.

“Why wouldn’t she? She felt terrible about it, Spike,” Twilight told her assistant.

“She did, huh?” Spike said as he started up the stairs leading to his basket-bed.

“Oh, Spike…” Twilight whispered to herself, her ears falling upon hearing his words.