• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 10,567 Views, 386 Comments

The Heartbreaker and the Cultivator - XSomeGuyX



A small lapse of judgment on Rarity's part sets in motion a series of events leading to realization, admission and development of the feelings of three mares for Spike. How will this affect their friendship? Who will win his love? Read and find

  • ...
22
 386
 10,567

A Work Pony's Cure

A Work Pony’s Cure

Recent times had been emotionally hard on Ponyville’s only dragon, Rarity had buried herself in her work and Twilight had as well, neither made much time to spend it with him, but he did not mind too much. Spike knew that both were busy pursuing their dreams, Rarity as a high end, renowned designer and Twilight in her quest to impress and serve the Princess, and today was no different. After an early morning of helping Twilight organize and find some books for her studies, he had gone out on a gem hunt to replenish Rarity’s supply that had run low from all the designs she had been working on. The little, purple dragon had high hopes that this would win him some points with the elegant unicorn. He happily hummed a lighthearted tune as he pulled his little wagon along behind him.

Fortunately for Spike, his little gem hunt went very well. He had filled his wagon as much as he could as the gems created a very unstable mound on it. He had actually found too many for them to fit on the tiny wagon and so he had to make the “sacrifice” and eat the excess gems. However, they were not enough to satisfy him, and for a moment, he thought of consuming the rest of the hoard, but he snapped out of it when he remembered they were for his “Lady Rarity.”

Finally back in town, the young dragon began making his way to his crush’s boutique. After all his digging though, he realized his scales were coated with dried mud and dirt, a state he knew all too well Rarity would not appreciate him being in her shop. So, he changed directions and now headed through the park to his library-home.

“I hope Twilight doesn’t mind too much!” Spiked laughed as he dragged his load behind him. But as his home came into view, the young assistant also spotted the white unicorn that held his affection for so long. “RARITY!”

“Oh, do you know this… dragon…?” another voice asked. It was the famous pony Photo Finish and she had apparently been talking to Rarity.

“Oh… umm…” Rarity stammered. She had finally landed a second chance to impress Photo Finish and it was most likely her last as well. The unicorn saw the expression of repulsion on the photographer’s face as she looked at the dirty dragon. This photographer could potentially get her the type publicity that the young dress maker wanted, but if she was unimpressed by the company she kept then she might lose what chance she had with her. She could feel the pressure put on her as she bit down on her lip and she forced an answer out of herself. “Oh... don’t worry about him... he’s nobody.”

“But Rarity…” the young dragon said as tears swelled up in his eyes.

“Good! Vee have much to do! Vee go!” the pony photographer said as she pushed the white unicorn with her to some unknown location.

Spike was dumbfounded; he could not believe that Rarity just said that he was a nobody. After all he had done for her, she still said that. He spent much of his own free time at her boutique, helping her with anything she could possibly need. He was not stupid dragon; he had known why she did it. Of course it was her dream to become a famous fashion designer but to dismiss him as a friend to make it to the top, it made his temper boil, but, more so, it depressed him to think of how low on the chain he must be for her.


The library had been quiet while Spike was gone on his gem hunt, and, as usual, Twilight had taken this time to reread some of her favorite books. But a sudden slam of the front door had stopped her “exhilarating” hobby. It was her assistant, but he was not his normal cheery, and slightly cocky, self. His irritation was obvious from the way he stomped without caring about the work both had put in that morning cleaning the entire library. She able see it in his face as well, narrowed eyes, furrowed brows, and pouting lips. She could even hear as he mumbled angrily to himself and forcibly exhaled from his nose, creating small puffs of smoke as he did.

“Spike!” Twilight called out to him as she levitated the falling jewels back onto the pile on his wagon. “Spike? Is everything all right?”

The only response she received from her disgruntled assistant was a couple of unintelligible mumbles as he marched up the stairs with an armful of gems. Throwing the gems next to his basket-bed, he wrapped himself tightly against in his tiny bed, often grabbing a gem to eat from the pile he made.

“Spike?” Twilight asked but was given no response from the young dragon. “Spike, you know you can talk to me about anything.”

Just as he was about to say something, Spike caught a look at his friend’s horn, reminding him of the unicorn that had brushed him off. Again, his eyes filled with tears as he turned back and continued his mumbling and gem eating.

“Spike?” the purple unicorn called again. “Spike!”

But the young dragon no longer gave any response. He simply turned over and acted as if no one was there. Given his strong resistance to her attempts to have him talk what had happened, Twilight knew would not be easy for her to cheer him up. Worrying for her friend, Twilight left the library, hoping to find something or somepony that could help.

“I’ll be right back, Spike! I promise!” Twilight told the dragon, who merely shuffled in his bed.


By the time the unicorn had returned, Spike had already eaten half the mountain of precious stones he had dug up but it still gave him no joy. The empty feeling he had from his dismissal by his long-time love was nothing he had ever felt before, it was like a black hole opened up inside of him and sucked away every positive, pleasant emotion each time he thought of his run-in with Rarity, and not even all the gems in the world would be able to fill him.

“Spike?” Twilight called as she entered her tree-house. “I brought someponies that would like to talk to you!”

“OH SPI-I-IKE!” their pink friend called out. “I’ve got a surprise rise for you!”

Pinkie Pie gleefully skipped up the stairs with a large gift box with an equally oversized ribbon on it, but she was not alone as Twilight and Applejack, were following not too far behind.

“So ya have no clue why he’s down?” the farm pony asked.

“Nope, he came with his wagon and wrapped himself up in his bed,” the unicorn answered. “After that, he wouldn’t say one word to me.”

“Here you go, Spike!” Pinkie Pie said as she inched the present closer to the dragon’s bed. The young dragon turned around, no longer angry, just depressed. The scales on his face stained with tears and his eyes puffy and red. Looking at the gift, he was not sure what to do. “Don’t be silly! Open it!”

Spike slowly pulled the ribbon and, with a sudden explosion of confetti, the very same, pink party pony popped out of the box. “SURPRISE!”

“Thanks Pinkie,” Spike laughed as he wiped his eyes. The longer he thought about it, the more it hurt. She once told him about how she was on the fringe of doing the same thing to her five mare friends at the garden party in Canterlot but, instead, chose to stand by them. By this he could only guess that he was not important to her in the way her friends were.

“Now do ya want to tell us what’s the matter, sugarcube?” Applejack asked as Twilight was looking in all directions, trying to figure out how Pinkie managed to end up in the box.

“Yeah,” the purple dragon sighed. “It’s about Rarity…”

“Oh, really?” Applejack played dumb, though she already knew about his crush on the fashionista, as did most of Ponyville.

“You probably can’t tell but I like Rarity… a lot,” Spike admitted his feelings to the hard-working pony. “But today, Rarity acted like she didn’t even know me because she was with Photo Finish…”

“Oh, don’cha fret, sugarcube,” Applejack responded. “Rarity is just… Rarity. I’m sure she didn’t mean nothing by it.”

“She’s right, Spike!” the pink pony backed up her friend as she fit two gems in front of her eyes. “Rarity’s a little crazy if you ask me!”

“Ya know what helps me after a bad day? Gettin’ some work done around Sweet Apple Acres!” the work pony added. “Do ya wanna join me over at the farm? Ya can help me buck some apples.”

“Hmm…” the young dragon thought about the proposal, though the idea of working some more was not too appealing to him.

“If ya don’ wanna help me, then maybe even the fresh air will do ya some good,” Applejack said, remembering Spike’s lazy nature.

“Or you can stay here, Spike, and help me reorganize the library. I was hoping to…” Twilight said before being cut off by her assistant.

“Sweet Apple Acres it is!” the purple dragon said as he hopped out of his bed.

“Then let’s head out,” the blond pony said as she scooped up the young dragon and ran out the door.

“Then what am I supposed to do?” Pinkie Pie whined as the two jewels she had place on her face slipped off.

“Well, I could still use help with reorganizing the library. Like I was going to say, I wanted to…” the purple unicorn said before once again being interrupted.

“Oh… umm… I just remembered! Mr. and Mrs. Cake wanted me to take care of Pound and Pumpkin Cake,” the pink pony said as she made her way towards the exit. “Besides, Gummy could use a bath… Sorry, Twilight! Maybe later!”

The unicorn lowered her head as she was left alone to reorganize her books.