• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 917 Views, 28 Comments

Minuette and Me - Memory



Awww... a fast-paced story of a budding friendship.

  • ...
0
 28
 917

This Is... Unexpected...

Minuette And Me
By TheMadPaperHatter
________________________________________________________________________________

This Is... Unexpected...

So then...

It's that time in my life...

The time where I face my greatest of fears...

"Alone I stand against the greatest of enemies, the strongest of opponents, the most powerful of foes. Alone, I shall fight through the hordes of minions it imposes against me, one by one, bit by bit - it wont be long until they are all gone. This is it. The final battle; a battle of heroes, a battle for the ages. Forgotten by others, unknown to most. The fire in my heart will - "

"Ahem, can I see a Miss Heartstrings, please?" says an unfamiliar voice, breaking me out of my great speech.

I might save it for another day.

"Oh yes, uh, that's me!" I stutter out of my mouth. It feels dry. I frown. I hate it when that happens.

"If you'd like to follow me," she says again. Blue coat, white and blue mane and tail. Cutie mark of an hourglass. Blue eyes. Unicorn. "This wont take long."

So this must be Colgate.

I exit the all-white and bland waiting room - my image of what a dentist is like still holds strong! - tailing after her. Straight to the point with this one? Cool.

The room I've been dreading for as long as I can remember - which is about an hour now - is not as expected. Only half is white, as if she ran out of that dreaded paint, and the other half is brown. There is one of those chairs, some stuff that only hardcore dentists will know about, a sofa, a bed, and a few other trinkets found in a family home.

Meh, sounds pretty routine to me. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm just glad I'm using my fear like Bonnie said to. I feel like I can do this! Yeah! How hard can it be? Nothing can stop Lyra Heartstrings!

"If you would sit in the chair, please, I'd be thankful!"

I stroll past the bed and into the chair, plopping - do ponies still say that? - my flanks onto the padded seat.

I stroll past the bed...

The bed...

Bed...

"Bed?!" I say, dramatically loud. I could win awards, but I'm not acting... I think.

It's now I notice Miss Colgate staring at me.

"Oh, sorry. Um, yeah, I sorta share my living space with my working space. I'm not made of money; I used to live in Canterlot and moved here after some rich snob opened up a 'high-end' business on my turf and took all my business with his fancy methods! So I have to start again with nothing, just a dentistry and one friend to my name!" Colgate yelled.

It beats my shout... by a long shot. Someone give this pony an award!

"Oh, so sorry. Now, are you ready to begin?"

So she speaks formally sometimes and then speaks like a true working-class mare at others. Also, she lived in Canterlot. Just like me.

I'm confused. I'm confused enough to forget my fear and slowly work my mouth.

"Yes I am."

"Good. Now, I need you to sign here," she pulls out a clipboard with a lot of small print and a dotted line at the bottom. "This is an agreement that states you will allow me to complete the operations by any means necessary... and a few other things which are a moot point."

I sigh. It'll get me out of here quicker. "Sure," I say before being handed a quill. I write my name in the least-fancy hoofwriting ever.

"Thank you, now, this wont even take a second. I hope."

She leans down and her horn ignites into a bright blue. Sparks shoot off and into the air, before forming into a small bubble of light sparks hitting each other. It expands and envelopes the room, cutting me off from the outside, and us from them too. It's all eerie and gives me mad creep-out vibes.

I can see where this is going and I want out!

"What are you doing?! I swear if this is any funny business..."

"Nggh, ugh, it isn't... funny... this... is... time warping... nearly... done..."

I turn around in surprise. "Time warping?"

It keeps expanding until it reaches even the furthest reaches of the room and beyond. The colour solidifies. Her horn stops glowing but the bubble stays. She's sweating but has a dumb grin on her face.

"It worked! Yes yes yes! Now, onto the operation. I'll knock you out with this," she injects me with something. I feel a small jab and I jump up into the air. "And we'll be done in a second..."





This is unexpected.

Still, the darkness is cool.

Hmm.

Colgate seems cool too. But if she'd explain things it just might be better!