• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 915 Views, 28 Comments

Minuette and Me - Memory



Awww... a fast-paced story of a budding friendship.

  • ...
0
 28
 915

I'm Taking You To The Dentist!

Minuette And Me
By TheMadPaperHatter

________________________________________________________________________________

I'm Taking You To The Dentist!

Life is slow; you wake up, make a nice cup of sweetened tea, and read for a while. Socialize with your roommate, wish them good day, and venture outside. Hang with your friends, do any work, go home. Sure, days vary. Sometimes you'll watch a show with other ponies, the odd night out drinking to celebrate New Year's, and the occasional journey out to the big city.

Yeah, life may be slow, but that's why I am here, right? It's simple, clean, refined and best of all it's exactly what I asked for.

Today will be no different from my standard routine.

Sighing contently after another good night's sleep, I stretch my legs out before rising slowly out of bed. The room is a mess, as always, but there is one corner I'll forever keep clean. I call it my music corner.

I slowly walk over to it, allowing my eyes to adjust to the light of the sun creeping in through the windows. The music corner has an assortment of instruments, notes sheets, the works. Standing proudly atop of the organised chaos is my lyre; my pride and soul, my way of expression. It's a part of me - literally. It matches my cutie mark.

"I'll play you soon, my little lyre," I whisper, making sure nopony can hear me. Call me crazy, but I talk to inanimate objects! Shocking. "I just need to do some things, m'kay?"

The clock says it is half past eight. I don't need to leave until eleven o'clock. Time to kill.

I reach up and move my hair out of my eyeline but it poofs straight back into place. Oh no...

I turn around and make a dash for the bathroom. My roommate always likes to joke about my bedmane but it has become an annoying nuisance. So instead of becoming frustrated, every morning I try and brush it down before she can see me.

Her name is -

"Hah! Lyra! Nice head of hair you've got there."

Bon Bon. Her name is Bon Bon. And she caught me.

I groan. We're best friends and roommates but she still doesn't realize I am never in a joking mood in the mornings.

"Ha ha, you got me."

"Sure did. You look like a real fool, Lyrie," she is grinning; I can hear it. When you are with someone for almost every moment of your waking life, you pick up little things like that.

"Don't you have somewhere to be, Bon Bon?" I ask. "And don't call me Lyrie..." I murmur.

"Not until ten," her grin must be off her face. "Cheerilee had to pull back the one-off baking class I am holding at the schoolhouse. Something about a field trip to that musicians studio."

"How will this affect you?"

"The field trip came as a surprise as nopony expected it to be accepted but it was... at the last minute. Anyway, it's being held this afternoon, the time I was supposed to do it, so morning lessons have been altered to allow for me."

"At least you'll be back sooner to mind the fort. I'm out at eleven for groceries. What's this musicians name? Do I know them?" I turn to her now.

"What's her name? Oh yeah, Vinyl Scratch. The most popular pony in the music industry," she gives me that look; the one that says I know this will get right on your nerves.

It's all in good spirit, but I have just woken up and can't think of any comebacks. "Stop winding me up, Bonnie. Her idea of music is wub wub wub and distorted sounds. No flow, no elegance; just a load of horseapples to appeal to the next generation. I swear, they have no taste."

"Whoa now, please. Just because your mane is new doesn't mean your outlook needs to be."

"Yeah, it's my new style. You like?" I say, attempting to counter-joke her. I smile broadly, showing off my teeth.

It took Bon Bon a moment to work it out. When she did her eyes narrowed and a menacing smile appeared on her face. "It's as bad as your teeth, Heartstrings."

"Wait, what?!" I say, pouncing onto her. She falls over softly and comes face to face with me.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I continue, trying to keep the shock out of my voice.

Bon Bon cringes at my every word and scrunches up her nose. "You've never been one for maintaining a... gleaming smile. Go smile in the mirror and you'll see what I mean."

Reluctantly I step back into the bathroom, move the hair away from my eyes and look in the mirror. Greeted by my own pair of sunglow eyes staring back at me. I slowly start to smile, first lips only, before breaking out into a full grin.

Holy Celestia she is right! They're yellow, not white. I raise a hoof to my mouth and breath on it through my mouth. Buck, I swear I can smell last weeks garlic bread.

"Teeth... why are you so dirty?!"

"'Cause you never brush them," Bon Bon pipes up. "C'mon. Fix your outrageous hair and grab something quick to eat. I'm taking you to the dentist."

But but but but!

"Now? It's half past eight! Who opens at half eight?"

Bon Bon flicks her tail at me and goes to our kitchen. I can hear her receding voice say back at me, "A young girl named Minuette. Just started a dentistry down south. I'll book you in now."






I hate very few things, and I fear even fewer.

Some ponies are scared stiff of spiders such as Bon Bon, others fear failure like Berry Punch. Me? I brush these off as trivial things. So why am I scared of something more trivial than them all; going to the dentist?

I've always had a weird fear of them. The perfectly sterile rooms, enough drills to build a new structure, and that horrid mouthwash that burns your mouth out until you feel like a dragon - without the adaptations to cope with extreme heat. Ever since I was a filly in Canterlot, I've always hated them.

It's funny, because I have actually never been to a dentist. I guess I have to blame those comics and books I borrowed off Twilight back in the day for putting dumb images in my head.

"Lyra! We're going!"

Yeah, dumb images, That's what they are, right?

I mean, right right?

Ugh, this is hurting my head. Maybe I'll go play some music...

"LYRA! ARE YOU DEAF?! We're going, now!"

Dammit. I shoot off towards the door and see a fuming Bon Bon, but her expression quickly changes. It changes because she sees something nopony ever thought they'd see on my face; real, deep fear. I have my moments of faking it to get out of the few things I hate, but this is real. And Bonnie - no matter how much of a moron she can be - understands that.

"Lyra, stop looking so gloomy, please?" she says gently.

I don't reply. It's just a dentist, it's just a dentist... is all I can think of.

She pulls me in for a hug. "It'll be okay, Lyrie. Let's get this over with. I'll treat you to some candies if you be a good girl, okay?"

I nod and break out of the embrace.

Let's get this over with.