• Published 18th Jan 2012
  • 8,497 Views, 221 Comments

Curls - aquilerafroot



Rarity has been acting strangely lately, and Twilight tries to figure out what her behaviour means.

  • ...
16
 221
 8,497

4: Mission

It was the morning that Applejack would be leaving for Canterlot to compete in the Equestrian Rodeo. After her send-off at the town square, her friends and family accompanied her to the train station to give their favourite cowgirl their encouragement.

Twilight and her friends chased the train until the platform ended as it started towards Canterlot. I’m so happy for her, and we all believe in her, she’ll do great! But the mayor - all she could mention was money, money, money… That’s strange. Why doesn’t Ponyville have enough funds itself? She frowned slightly.

Rarity saw the small change in her marefriend’s expression, but decided to ask about it later. They had agreed that they would act as they always had done around their friends for the time being, until they could find a suitable time and way to reveal to the rest of the ponies that they were dating.

The Apple family and the mayor left the train station and Pinkie and Rainbow Dash had already disappeared, leaving only Fluttershy, Twilight, and Rarity on the platform.

“So, Fluttershy, where are you going? Home?” asked Twilight.

“Um, yes, I think so, I need to set out some seeds for the birds…” replied the shy pegasus.

“Well, see you then!”

“Bye Twilight, bye Rarity.” Fluttershy smiled, spread her wings and took off in the direction of her home.

Twilight caught Rarity’s eye, and they both grinned.

“So, shall we proceed as planned?” asked Rarity.

“Yeah, let’s go to your place and pick up the stuff.”

Leaving the train station together the two unicorns slipped away to the Boutique, where they had stashed some picnic supplies before Applejack’s send-off. Sneakily leaving at a fast trot, they headed toward a small secluded meadow in the woods behind a cliff with a road ending at it.

As they entered the woods Rarity asked, “So darling, why were you frowning at the train station?”

Twilight laughed guiltily. “Uh, actually I was thinking whether the mayor was giving Applejack too much pressure about the prize money.”

Rarity laughed along with her. “To tell you the truth, I think it was a bit… undignified of her as well.”

Twilight glanced at the cliff behind them. “The mayor really should do something about roads that end at a cliff too,” she muttered, recalling all the accidents that might have happened if not for the efforts of Rainbow Dash or the Mare-Do-Well. She winked at Rarity. “Speaking of roads that end at a cliff, I think Mare-Do-Well really has a taste for fashion; I wonder who her designer was?”

“Oh, I wouldn’t know who her designer was, but she looked absolutely stunning, especially when she used her magic to fix the dam!” Rarity giggled, nuzzling Twilight tenderly, only to look up when Twilight suddenly stopped. “Ooh, here we are!”

The meadow was surrounded by trees, and certainly nopony would find this place unless they knew exactly what they were looking for. Twilight used a spell to concentrate the wind on a certain patch of grass, drying it of any excess moisture.

She then grabbed the fluffy towels they had prepared and, together with Rarity, spread them on the grass. After the two lay themselves on the towels happily, Rarity used her magic to levitate a pair of apples from the basket and floated one over to Twilight.

“Hey, I’ve got it,” said Twilight, using her magic to surround both the apple and Rarity’s light blue aura.

“Twilight Sparkle!” Rarity blushed crimson, which was all the more visible because of her pale coat. “I’d never have known you were so naughty, touching me like that, and on purpose!”

Twilight smiled guiltily, pulled Rarity over and put a hoof over her shoulder. “I believe it’s not the first time? I guess I really am bad!”

“You’re not bad darling, you just know too well how to sweep me off my hooves,” Rarity pouted. She put a hoof on Twilight’s face and pulled her close, lightly brushing her muzzle along Twilight’s before leaning in and bringing their lips together in a sweet kiss.

The temperature rose as the sun travelled higher in the sky, so Twilight set up an umbrella beside them, smiling to herself as Rarity sighed in pleasure at the coolness of the shade it provided. “Let’s hope it can also hide us from Rainbow Dash’s eyes if she flies over here,” she joked.

“And Pinkie Pie, too! She can appear almost anywhere!” They laughed together as they thought of the pink and playful earth pony.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if she just popped up, singing ‘A Hop, skip, and jump of my heart’,” said Twilight, unable to stop laughing. “Wait, that’s just a song title I made up!” They both curled up, giggling.

They spent the next few hours snuggling and talking about nothing in particular. It was just nice for the two of them to spend time together, but they still hadn’t decided when or how they would tell the news to their friends. As much as it felt wrong to keep the other ponies in the dark, they both knew that there were bound to be some hardships to come in their relationship, and it would be best to proceed with a certain amount of caution.

------ ------

Twilight trotted back to the library, fully aware that she hadn’t done anything academic the whole day. I bet Princess Celestia would be surprised at what I learned, apart from making friends. I guess I’ll have to tell her about Rarity soon… and I still haven’t decided how to tell Spike yet. Hmm. Although it seems I haven’t done anything productive today, I feel really happy. And I’ve never thought time spent with somepony could be so meaningful!

------ ------

A day had passed, and many ponies were getting ready for the party to welcome Applejack home from the rodeo.

“Quiet Pinkie, I think Applejack’s coming.” Twilight peeked out the barn door.

“Don’t worry Twilight. Got my lips all limbered up!” Pinkie tried to seal her lips together, but with no success.

The ponies all ducked behind various tables and banisters, and held their breath. The door creaked open…

“Surprise!” shouted all the ponies. Big Macintosh blew a kazoo.

But it was just a mailpony. He had a letter from Applejack; Twilight took it and went inside, where all the other ponies crowded around her to hear what it said. Twilight read it out loud.

Family and friends, not coming back to Ponyville. Don’t worry, will send money soon.” There was worry in Twilight’s voice. “That’s all there is.”

Panic followed Twilight’s statement, but Rainbow Dash’s voice broke through. “So, what are we waiting for? Let’s go find her!”

Twilight led her friends out the door, and reassured the other ponies. “Don’t worry. We’ll search all of Equestria if we have to. We’ll bring her back.”

Rarity followed close as Twilight trotted to the barn door, and watched as Twilight snapped a smart salute. I’m so glad to have her to lead us. She gives me strength whenever we go on these missions… and that salute! So dashing, I must convince her to do that again… in private.

------ ------

Twilight looked out of the window, watching the scenery speed past as the multicolored train carried her and her friends to Canterlot. A small frown was on the bookworm's face as she came up with a million things that might have happened to the cowgirl.

The unicorn suddenly felt Rarity’s hoof on her own.

“Darling, don’t be so worked up. You know it worries me so,” said the fashionista.

“I can’t help it… but I guess I was always the worrywart.” Twilight made a face, but her mood was lighter than before.

Rarity giggled lightly, her laughter an expressive tinkle. “I’m sure Applejack will explain everything when we find her.”

“You’re right. I hope so too.”

“Twilight?” the designer’s voice dropped to a whisper.

“Yes, Rarity?” the purple unicorn played along, speaking softly.

“If I may make a request?”

“Of course you can. What is it?” murmured Twilight.

“Well… ah, you recall snapping a salute back there, at the barn?”

Twilight nodded, a quizzical look on her features.

“I was wondering if you could do it for me again, you were so dashing.”

“Hey! What are you two whispering about?” Rainbow Dash cut in with a chortle.

The purple unicorn suddenly found herself blushing, because of both Rarity’s ‘request’ and the cyan pegasus’ question. “Uh, talking about Applejack, you know. Yeah. And oh! Here are pictures of her, girls, we’ll use them in our search.” Twilight shoved a photo to each of the other ponies, grateful for the distraction to hide her awkwardness.

------ ------

Applejack set down the last crate. She had found a new job at the Cherry Hill Ranch, owned by Miss Cherry Jubilee, and was starting her new life at Dodge Junction. Having finished the delivery errand for her new boss, she started trotting back to the ranch.

On the way, she stopped by the public toilet of the train station to answer nature’s call, but the experience was somewhat frustrating because some impatient pony kept banging nonstop on the door.

Applejack had barely gotten a few steps away from the station when she thought she heard a familiar, shrill, giggly sound. Nah, ah must be imaginin’ things. But the earth pony couldn’t shake off the feeling that something was wrong. She felt… a presence.

The presence kind of reminded her of her five dearest friends. As much as she hated to admit it, she missed the ponies in Ponyville… and her family. But there was no going back there, ever again; the shame, she could not bear it. Kicking her hoof in the dust, she closed her eyes briefly, dejectedly.

The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes again were five ponies. The five ponies she could have recognized a mile away, so there was no passing them as an illusion. She gulped. She. Was. Caught.

------ ------

Twilight and Rarity rushed over to the cowgirl, their movements in synch unconsciously.

“Oh, Applejack, thank heavens!” exclaimed Rarity.

Applejack’s five friends all gathered around her, asking her questions, but their reunion was cut short by a mare with a curly, dark red mane, a light coat, and a pink bow around her neck.

“Applejack? Are these some of your Ponyville Friends?” asked the stranger.

Twilight Sparkle trotted over. “Yes, ma’am-”

Rarity immediately went to Twilight’s side, worried that the stranger might not be friendly, and finished Twilight’s sentence for her. “And you are?”

The stranger trotted down the steps. “Why, I’m Cherry Jubilee, boss of Cherry Hill Ranch. Hasn’t Applejack told ya?”

Twilight and Rarity looked at each other with worried and confused expressions. They held their gazes longer then they had to, trying to convey their feelings and reassure each other with the eye contact.

Cherry Jubilee went on to explain how she and Applejack met, and that Applejack was now her employee at the ranch. She then left the girls to catch up with each other. Twilight and Rarity looked at each other again.

Rainbow Dash burst out, “’Change of scenery?’ What’s that supposed to mean?”

Applejack tried to walk away, her expression annoyed. “No big deal, guys. I thought cherries would be a nice change from apples, so I took the job and came here. That’s it. End of story.”

Pinkie didn’t buy it. “That’s it? Well, that’s a terrible story!”

They tried to get Applejack to tell them more, but she didn’t, and left the five ponies. It was obvious that she was hiding something from her friends.

Twilight frowned. “I don’t care what she says, Applejack’s not telling us something.”

Rainbow Dash agreed, concerned about the athletic earth pony. “Twilight’s right. We gotta get her to spill the beans.”

Twilight gathered her knowledge for a while. Aha! I think I know how! It’s lucky that I just read ‘The Art of Persuasion’ recently! Although that was because I wanted to get Rarity to admit her feelings…

Twilight gathered her friends, and together they devised some plans, which involved them getting some work at the ranch.

------ ------

The five ponies waited outside the cherry sorting barn. They all had hairnets and aprons on.

“Come on in, girls!” They heard Cherry Jubilee calling them. They trotted in, and saw that an unhappy-looking Applejack was already inside.

“What are you all doing here?” she asked in a slightly unfriendly tone.

Twilight replied cheerfully, “We’re your cherry sorters. Shall we get started?”

The girls positioned themselves along the line, and Rarity poked her hairnet, hoping Twilight didn’t think she looked ugly in one.

Cherry Jubilee gave them some directions on how to sort the cherries, and reminded them to have fun before she left.

Applejack was suspicious. “What are you five up to?”

Rarity answered, seemingly nonchalantly, from where she was standing beside Twilight. “Well, ah, you made working on a cherry orchard sound… so delightful.”

After a few moments of working on the cherries, Twilight winked at Rainbow Dash, giving her the signal to start trying to get more information out of Applejack.