• Published 18th Jan 2012
  • 8,502 Views, 221 Comments

Curls - aquilerafroot



Rarity has been acting strangely lately, and Twilight tries to figure out what her behaviour means.

  • ...
16
 221
 8,502

3: Starry Sky, Gentle Breeze

Twilight and Rarity stepped out of the boutique, both in a simple necklace adorned with a single gem; Twilight’s was violet, and Rarity’s was light blue. The fashion designer had levitated them out and put them on Twilight and herself; if they had more time, Rarity would probably have made them both glamorous gowns just for the occasion.

I shall design us matching outfits next time~ sang Rarity in her mind. She looked happily at Twilight, who was walking beside her, and made a mental note to update her measurements next time she stopped by. And now she’ll be stopping by a lot more, and I shall be visiting the library quite a lot more, too.

Twilight looked sideways at Rarity, smiled when their eyes met, and gave the designer a quick nuzzle. They had discussed at the boutique that they should keep their relationship quiet at first, at least until they went out a few more times. I’m not used to the whole ‘going out’ thing yet… must read a few more books after I get home. And I’m sure Rarity will be kind if I make a few mistakes… I’ll just act like it’s a special dinner with a really close friend tonight.

Under the dark purple sky illuminated by Luna’s moon, they arrived at Twilight’s favorite restaurant. It was quite classy, and Twilight used to come here often when she had just moved to Ponyville, because it reminded her of the food in Canterlot.

“We’re here, Rarity.” She chuckled when she thought of something, and added in a whisper, “The waiter is a bit snobby to ponies he doesn’t recognize, but I used to come here often. Let’s hope he remembers that.”

“A table for two, outdoors dining section please.” The words came out naturally from Twilight’s mouth, since she was once a frequent visitor… with Spike.

Huh…? Spike! Urgh! Twilight let out an inward groan. I totally forgot about his crush on Rarity… Oh no. This is officially on the ‘problems to deal with later’ list!

True to Twilight’s word, the waiter smiled briefly and, leading them to their seats, had said, “Welcome, ladies. It seems like a while since you last visited.”

He presented them both with a menu and left them to decide on their orders.

The two unicorns looked at each other, beamed, and started looking at their menus. The outdoors dining section had a truly amorous atmosphere, with its warm glowing garden lanterns and a scattering of fireflies hovering near the neatly trimmed hedges.

“Twilight darling, you really do know how to pick the place for a first date,” breathed Rarity. “The lighting is so romantic!”

“Um, yeah…” Twilight blushed, and smiled her cute dorky smile. “Well, I remember you once saw me eating here during the daytime… it was raining but Rainbow Dash had opened a hole in the clouds for me.”

“Ooh, of course I remember too! I had just made us matching outfits and couldn’t wait to get you home.” They had both refrained from mentioning the ‘gala ticket’ and they both knew it.

“Well, perhaps you could make us more… matching outfits now that we’re… yeah.” Twilight had the dorky smile on again, which made Rarity want to throw her hooves around her.

“I’d love to, Twilight.” Rarity said her marefriend’s name like it was her favorite word, with a characteristic intake of breath that Twilight had never found so attractive until now.

Just then the waiter came back to take their orders. Twilight requested her favorite dandelion combination, while Rarity opted for the rose gourmet set. The waiter smartly jotted their orders, and then left them to resume their conversation.

“The night sky’s really beautiful, isn’t it?” said Twilight, taking in the moon and the constellations sprinkled across the vast canvas up high. “I really like watching the stars… I have a telescope in my room.”

“Yes, Luna’s really pretty, is she not?” Rarity smirked, fluttering her eyelashes. Rarity you bad mare, teasing Twilight…

“Yeah, she is… Um-what?” Realizing her mistake, Twilight tried to backtrack. “Um, yeah! She’s a princess, so of course she’s pretty! But I was talking about the stars and stuff… ha ha ha.” She grinned nervously.

“Twilight darling, I was only teasing you, I’m sorry for making you stressed.” Rarity reassured her with a sad puppy eyes look. Then she smiled radiantly, and reached over to put her hoof on Twilight’s. “But that means that you must like me a lot.”

The waiter arrived with their appetizers, and they started their dinner. Between bites, Twilight asked, “So, when was it that you… realized that you…?”

Rarity nibbled on her salad daintily. “Well, ah, I recall it was about the time you rescued my mind from Discord’s petty trickery.”

Twilight looked at Rarity curiously. “But, we were all in so much danger then.” Then something seemed to dawn on her. “Oh my Celestia. Was it- was it my memory spell?”

Rarity nodded slowly. They looked at each other, both blushing furiously. They were rescued from the moment by the arrival of their main courses.

“Well, yeah… I guess I felt something special too, you know.” Twilight said tentatively, the blush still on her face. “But since we’re both unicorns, and everything, I didn’t pay much attention. Plus, there was still Discord to stop.”

“I didn’t think that much until we had defeated Discord. But after it was over and I got home, I started to think… do you remember when I hugged you right after you rescued me? You hugged me back and that… simply set my heart afire.”

“Actually I don’t think I rescued you Rarity, I just, reminded you of the times we had,” said Twilight with a quizzical look on her face.

“Of course you did. You don’t always have to be the modest hero you know.”

“I’d deny that if I were talking with somepony else, but when it’s you that says that, I like it.”

Rarity blushed, giving Twilight a shy look. Then she thought of something. “Twilight, would you mind if I asked you… how you came to decide that you were willing to be with me? I know it couldn’t have been an easy decision to make.”

It was Twilight’s turn to turn shy. “Well, uh, I think I already liked you pretty much, Rarity, it was just a new perspective of our relationship, I think. And I’ve heard of plenty of same-sex pony couples in Canterlot, so it wasn’t a really weird… or freaky thing for me, actually.”

“Thank you for telling this, Twilight… and… I really appreciate it.” Rarity smiled, happiness in her eyes.

They finished their meal with herbal tea, then Twilight rose to pay the bill, placing some bits as a tip on the table.

Twilight walked Rarity back to the boutique, savoring the wonderful night that they had spent together. They shared a brief but sweet kiss at the door.

“Wait, I just remembered,” Twilight tried to take off the necklace that Rarity had put on her before their date, but was stopped by Rarity’s hoof.

“No, darling, it’s yours now.”

“Wow… well, thanks.” Twilight smiled, but she secretly hoped that Rarity wouldn’t pile her with trinkets in the future.

Rarity sneaked another kiss. “See you tomorrow?”

“Of course, let’s go do something together after we send off Applejack to the rodeo, okay?”

------ ------

Trotting home, Twilight saw that her number one assistant was already sound asleep. I seem to spend my nights these days pondering stuff that I’ve never had experience with, thought Twilight with a small sigh.

She did not want to hurt the baby dragon’s feelings, so she decided to make thinking of a way to break the news to Spike the priority, and put off reading more books on dating until next time. I think today went pretty well… Rarity’s really cute when you realize it.